Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All encompassing 2023 Draft thoughts thread.

Hooker in RD2 or RD3, sign a veteran to bridge 2023 and 2024 if needed, Mills remains on roster to compete.

If Williams, Stroud (If he stays at Ohio State), or Maye have big seasons….the Texans would have the draft capital to pull the trigger on moving up for one of them if they’d like to add another QB.

Texans could wind up with 4 rather decent QB’s and potentially some additional trade chips for 2024 or 2025.

Definitely my favorite. Reading the entire article is worthwhile.

**********************************************************************************

Is Will Levis really worth the hype in the 2023 NFL Draft?
Will Levis being touted as a top NFL Draft QB. Is he really worth a high pick?

By Joseph Acosta Nov 19, 2022, 1:10pm EST

What was lost in the offseason
The biggest person for Will Levis’ development that was lost in the offseason is former offensive coordinator Liam Coen. Coen came from the Los Angeles Rams (where he returned to be the offensive coordinator in the offseason) and helped install a pro style offense very similar to McVay’s Rams offense with a lot of motion and play action. Last year, according to Sports Information Solutions, Kentucky used play action on 37 percent of their dropbacks. This year, that number has dropped to 26 percent. Despite replacing Coen with Rich Scangarello, who comes from the San Francisco 49ers, the offense hasn’t clicked the same at all.

The next problem Levis encountered is twofold. Former offensive line coach Eric Wolford is now at Alabama, and an offensive line that was a strength lost their coach and multiple players to the NFL such as Darian Kinnard and Luke Fortner. Kentucky head coach Mark Stoops replaced him with Zach Yenser and multiple new starters on the line. Add in the loss of receiver Wan’Dale Robinson, and you have a supporting cast that simply doesn’t have as much as last season as the QB adjusts to a new system.

Despite this, we can still figure out what Levis is and what he isn’t. We understand what’s been lost and what he’s working with, so let’s see what he’s doing.

Definitely my favorite. Reading the entire article is worthwhile.

**********************************************************************************

Is Will Levis really worth the hype in the 2023 NFL Draft?
Will Levis being touted as a top NFL Draft QB. Is he really worth a high pick?

By Joseph Acosta Nov 19, 2022, 1:10pm EST

What was lost in the offseason
The biggest person for Will Levis’ development that was lost in the offseason is former offensive coordinator Liam Coen. Coen came from the Los Angeles Rams (where he returned to be the offensive coordinator in the offseason) and helped install a pro style offense very similar to McVay’s Rams offense with a lot of motion and play action. Last year, according to Sports Information Solutions, Kentucky used play action on 37 percent of their dropbacks. This year, that number has dropped to 26 percent. Despite replacing Coen with Rich Scangarello, who comes from the San Francisco 49ers, the offense hasn’t clicked the same at all.

The next problem Levis encountered is twofold. Former offensive line coach Eric Wolford is now at Alabama, and an offensive line that was a strength lost their coach and multiple players to the NFL such as Darian Kinnard and Luke Fortner. Kentucky head coach Mark Stoops replaced him with Zach Yenser and multiple new starters on the line. Add in the loss of receiver Wan’Dale Robinson, and you have a supporting cast that simply doesn’t have as much as last season as the QB adjusts to a new system.

Despite this, we can still figure out what Levis is and what he isn’t. We understand what’s been lost and what he’s working with, so let’s see what he’s doing.

After watching Danny Dimes, I now want Levis at 1-2 if Caserio gets the edict from Cal.

I still would rather wait until 2024 to pick a QB.

After watching Danny Dimes, I now want Levis at 1-2 if Caserio gets the edict from Cal.

I still would rather wait until 2024 to pick a QB.
Seeing that none of these prospects are ideal, I am leaning taking WA or JC at #2 and taking Hendon Hooker at #12.
Hooker is not the sexiest pic of the top 5, but he has prototypical size and a good QBR in 2022 - better than Young's and 1.7 points higher than Stroud's.

Seeing that none of these prospects are ideal, I am leaning taking WA or JC at #2 and taking Hendon Hooker at #12.
Hooker is not the sexiest pic of the top 5, but he has prototypical size and a good QBR in 2022 - better than Young's and 1.7 points higher than Stroud's.

I wouldn't pick Herndon until 2-33 or probably 3-64.

A 25 yr old rookie that is coming off at least an ACL and maybe other ligaments and probably wont play next yr.

I think you're putting too much value in ESPN's QBR that also has Bo Nix above Caleb Williams

Recommend subscribing to the Athletic. They cover everything, all year with insightful content by best reporters.

His injury status is what is likely keeping him low on most big boards. Fully healthy I bet he is probably 4th or even 3rd QB off the board.

Hooker’s ACL was a non-contact injury. His surgery was already successfully completed. Hooker is rehabbing and could be ready to go late in 2023 as a best case scenario.

I think you're putting too much value in ESPN's QBR that also has Bo Nix above Caleb Williams

^This, this, this.

Between Hooker's age and the offense he ran in college I want no part of him in the draft.

Tennesse runs/ran a very simple two-read offense that limits the QB to reading half the field only. It's a beautifully schemed system and does serious work in college, but it completely and utterly fails to develop its QBs in their abilities to read the D pre and post-snap.

Last edited:
I would be pretty excited if Texans took TE Michael Mayer with their #12.
TEs are a QBs best friend and Mayer is an excellent receiver and a big target running great routes. He has the happy knack of getting open and is a good blocker - like killing two birds with one stone.
He will be NFL ready day 1.

TEs are a QBs best friend and Mayer is an excellent receiver and a big target running great routes. He has the happy knack of getting open and is a good blocker - like killing two birds with one stone.
I wouldn't take a te that high unless he has special traits like the kid at Atlanta

Levis is my favorite qb in this draft.
I like Levis, but he needs alot of coaching. I was on him early and he kinda disappointed me honestly. His route recognition along with his footwork were sloppy. He needs at least a year to get on the field and be functional. If you tell me you think he will be there at 12 and you sign a vet to keep him on the bench for a year, cool. Right now, I think they have a better chance at the qb 1st and the defender/wr 2nd.

I like Levis, but he needs alot of coaching. I was on him early and he kinda disappointed me honestly. His route recognition along with his footwork were sloppy. He needs at least a year to get on the field and be functional. If you tell me you think he will be there at 12 and you sign a vet to keep him on the bench for a year, cool. Right now, I think they have a better chance at the qb 1st and the defender/wr 2nd.

I like him and I don’t see those major issues you speak of. He’s not Bryce Young as far as the fundamentals go, but he kind of reminds me of Mahomes coming out.

I don’t think he’ll be there at 12 but who knows.

As far as sitting him for a year, I’m not a fan of predetermined roles like that.

Bring some comp to camp and if he’s the best guy start him. If not sit him.

I like him and I don’t see those major issues you speak of. He’s not Bryce Young as far as the fundamentals go, but he kind of reminds me of Mahomes coming out.

As far as sitting him for a year, I’m not a fan of predetermined roles like that.

I'm saying that because he gets sloppy in the pocket. He can make every throw, he just tries to make them with his body out of balance. Mahomes sat out a year to get cleaned up also.

I think there’s a chance he falls to 32.

If you like Levis then pick him at 1-2.

If you want an elite DL then use 1-12 and 2-32 to trade up and get the DL you like.

Better yet,

1-2 Levis
1-12 Hyatt
2-32 One of Foskey/Ojulari/Andre Carter/Nolan Smith

If they just have to go QB at 1-2 I hope they give whoever the QB they draft weapons to be successful.

Give me

QB
Hyatt
Washington
Achane

Get a Center in FA

This offense would have young playmakers at the skill positions and the QB and his playmakers can grow together.

Last edited:
Anthony Richardson / 6-4 @232 lbs
Career Stats
See All
STATS

CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGRTG

Hendon Hooker / 6-4 @ 218 lbs
Career Stats
See All
STATS

I’m surprised how some analyst have pushed HH down the bench due to his injury. His numbers, compared to AR, are pretty much in the elite class. The key to understanding HH is watching some of his film and the spot on throws to his receivers inside and beyond 20 yards.

Career Stats
See All
STATS

Career Stats
See All
STATS
I’m surprised how some analyst have pushed HH down the bench due to his injury. His numbers, compared to AR, are pretty much in the elite class. The key to understanding HH is watching some of his film and the spot on throws to his receivers inside and beyond 20 yards.
Richardson’s comp percentage makes me very nervous. I wouldn’t draft him in the first.

Name you 5 best te's in the nfl and tell me which you start off with great blocking. This isn't the 80s
Even if it did take him a little time to adjust to the NFL, he is still serviceable and should be a beast by year two.
He would immediately be the best TE on this roster.

Even if it did take him a little time to adjust to the NFL, he is still serviceable and should be a beast by year two.
He would immediately be the best TE on this roster.
IMO, I'm not looking for serviceable at 12. You can find that in the 3rd rd or with a guy like Stover. I want a true difference maker at 12 if he's a te. I'm talking Gonzales, Pitts, guys with special traits.

Reactions: JB
IMO, I'm not looking for serviceable at 12. You can find that in the 3rd rd or with a guy like Stover. I want a true difference maker at 12 if he's a te. I'm talking Gonzales, Pitts, guys with special traits.
No-one is a lock to play NFL ready straight up - it's a crap shoot. Scouts already recognize his skills as "easily translatable to the NFL" and "the best TE to enter the portal in several years".
We are all entitled to our opinions but I think you are underestimating his skillsets and value to any team.
Me, as I said, I won't be upset if we take him at 12, but I have a feeling it will be a WR to pair with a QB.

No-one is a lock to play NFL ready straight up - it's a crap shoot. Scouts already recognize his skills as "easily translatable to the NFL" and "the best TE to enter the portal in several years".
We are all entitled to our opinions but I think you are underestimating his skillsets and value to any team.
Me, as I said, I won't be upset if we take him at 12, but I have a feeling it will be a WR to pair with a QB.
If I was picking in the 20's Mayer would be my pick. 1-12 is too high for him. IMHO

If I was picking in the 20's Mayer would be my pick. 1-12 is too high for him. IMHO
If Carstereo can pull off a trade with #12 to around that range and he is still there, it will definitely make him think about it.
I would be disappointed if he didn't in that scenario.
I reckon he will be as good as Mark Andrews.
Not quite as athletic as Kelce, but decent just the same.

If Carstereo can pull off a trade with #12 to around that range and he is still there, it will definitely make him think about it.
I would be disappointed if he didn't in that scenario.
I reckon he will be as good as Mark Andrews.
Not quite as athletic as Kelce, but decent just the same.
You could do a lot worse than Mark Andrews. My thinking is it depends who's available at that pick. There are always players who inexplicably fall.

I’m okay with WR, but I’d lean more towards edge or Skoronski to play interior. I’d draft a WR like Tillman in the 3rd.

Career Stats
See All
STATS

Career Stats
See All
STATS
If he was healthy, he would be in the top three QBs.

Back