Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

30 is the new 20: Green Bay Packers

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Oh absolutely this was going to be a butt kicking even if Watson was literally Superman and the only people that didn’t see that were either Texan fans with their heads in the clouds or packer fans scared of a trap game.

But as TK pointed out the stats are very misleading and I’m honestly not sure how much has been him improving from the first games and how much has been the quality of the other teams. He looked bad against 3 playoff level teams, whole team was bad against the Viking and OB was rightfully fired for it, good against a scrub team and decent against a team that may or may not be real and then as soon as he plays a playoff team again he looks bad.

I said before packers would show how much improvement from the first 3 games there really has been and the results are not encouraging.

I think the Packer game showed very good improvement on his part. Us not moving it well had little to do with him and his play and more to do with our inability to run it, and various miscues by the o-line and WR’s.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
And he usually wins those matchups and games anyway. Independent of the Ds, when Watson's W/L record (26/21) matches up closer to Wilson's record (100/47), maybe we can have a more reasonable comparison conversation...............especially when considering a QB driven stat of INTs.............Russell 70 INTs in 147 games............to Watson's 34 INTs in 47 games, many of which occur when running around in the backfield. It all has to do with decision-making and timing of throws and knowing when to throw the ball away, especially while trying to perform a Houdini impersonation.
Russ had the benefit of a top level defense and a beast run game for at least his 1st 3-4 years early on. When he didn’t have that for a few years his numbers improved but the team’s records and playoff successes looked eerily similar to DW4’s now. Fans also started grumbling about him “not giving up on plays” and missing guys.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think the Packer game showed very good improvement on his part. Us not moving it well had little to do with him and his play and more to do with our inability to run it, and various miscues by the o-line and WR’s.
Far from elite, which many on here think he is.

I'm not saying you're one of those guys that said he's elite.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Anyone notice that there was not even 1 Texans pass to a TE. And there were quite a few plays that a TE was wide open. That would not have been by scheme.
A little ironic you are here assuming what they called, when not hours ago you were roasting people for saying Watson and Fuller were not on the same page, when we visibly saw Watson correcting Fuller after the play to sit in the zone. Pot meet kettle.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Not ironic unless you believe in broadcaster's mind reading ability.
Watson was signaling to Fuller exactly what he wanted, that isn’t mind reading. If anyone is mind reading or guessing, it would be you when you claim not throwing to our TEs wasn’t part of our game plan. You nor I have any idea what the game plan was

Texansballer74

The Marine
You saying stats are misleading is actually a disservice to the entire team and the adjustments they made after the half. They came out and got some stops on defense and the offense was able to put some drives together. I’ve seen teams do this all the time. The Texans were up I want to say 20+ points t 0 on the a Saints, they made adjustments and came back and won that game. The Texans were up big on Seattle some years back . In the 2nd half Wilson and crew went to work. Another comeback for the opposing team. I can on and on. I’ve seen some games which teams were behind and in the second half made it very competitive.

So does this apply TK or is it only for Watson and the Texans.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Some people really take examples the wrong way. Gzzzzzz I was not comparing Watson to him. Only the freaking style of keeping plays alive.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Watson was signaling to Fuller exactly what he wanted, that isn’t mind reading. If anyone is mind reading or guessing, it would be you when you claim not throwing to our TEs wasn’t part of our game plan. You nor I have any idea what the game plan was
Curious, if no TE was targeted four quarters is that not an indicator? I heard no comment here during game or from talking heads during broadcast or radio guys afterwards that Packers took our TE out of game. We seem to have Fells only.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Curious, if no TE was targeted four quarters is that not an indicator? I heard no comment here during game or from talking heads during broadcast or radio guys afterwards that Packers took our TE out of game. We seem to have Fells only.
One week Watson is all over his TEs, the next they get ignored. Are we really implying some games Watson chooses, on his own, to ignore his tight ends?

It’s been a theme as long as OB has been around (now Kelly). The tight ends go largely ignored in this offense.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Elite is relative. Most would consider Rodgers elite..he looked anything but today despite throwing for 4 TD's.
Agreed,

Yet the Pack still managed to put up 35 on the Texans.

The Pack took their foot off of the gas a little bit in the 2nd half. IMHO

It was never really a game in the 2nd half.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
It’s almost like we never learned from HWSNBN; at least this guy can read a defense while we don’t protect him.
Oh... the days.....

HWSNBN...... was I ever truly that young, energized and optimistic about my team?.....

....... waving Texans cane at teenagers on my lawn....."Go on, GIT!!".

Why learn? it only encourages progress. ..

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Questions that the fanboys wont answer.

However there will be many excuses.

The true answer to your questions is DW4 isn't near elite.
Neither was Tannehill until he ended up in a much better situation. When Tannehill was with Miami, he played like shite and fans wanted him out of there. He came to a much better situation where they never expected him to start. He was coming in as insurance and clipboard man for Mariota. Mariota sucked so bad that Titans fans lost hope in him and Tannehill took advantage of his NEW situation.

Watson has never had a better situation.....and his current situation is going to be about survival until 2022. Like I stated in another post, your observations of Watson are highly skewed b/c you watch him with blinders and refuse to acknowledge the shoulder high pile shite around him and that, unfortunately, can't even be used to describe the defense who can't seem to hold any lead that is given to them in tightly contested games.

Tannehill, coming off his final game for Miami is available and based solely on his Miami resume.....are you trading Watson for Tannehill, straight up? And if you were granted your unreasonable wish, what would Tannehill have done with the Texans that Watson didn't?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Neither was Tannehill until he ended up in a much better situation. When Tannehill was with Miami, he played like shite and fans wanted him out of there. He came to a much better situation where they never expected him to start. He was coming in as insurance and clipboard man for Mariota. Mariota sucked so bad that Titans fans lost hope in him and Tannehill took advantage of his NEW situation.

Watson has never had a better situation.....and his current situation is going to be about survival until 2022. Like I stated in another post, your observations of Watson are highly skewed b/c you watch him with blinders and refuse to acknowledge the shoulder high pile shite around him and that, unfortunately, can't even be used to describe the defense who can't seem to hold any lead that is given to them in tightly contested games.

Tannehill, coming off his final game for Miami is available and based solely on his Miami resume.....are you trading Watson for Tannehill, straight up? And if you were granted your unreasonable wish, what would Tannehill have done with the Texans that Watson didn't?
Tannehill and DW4 were in comparable situations. I just happen to think Tannehill is better. People were saying the same thing about the talent around Mariota until Tannehill came along. I also think DW4 has much better weapons around him than Tannehill ever did in Miami. Just compare the Texans WR's to the WR's that Tannehill had in Mia. Stills was his WR1.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I know he’s the bees knees, but until he starts beating two deep zone, we’re fked.

He needs to figure out when to keep his eyes downfield & when to pick up some yards on his own.

I like to compare him to Russell Wilson & Aaron Rogers myself, but you know what I’ve seen those two do that Watson never does? Slide.
I'm not sure I understand you here?

What do you mean by "slide"?

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
That highlights just how bad it is. How many times did you see him running in circles behind the LOS today?

How many times did you see Aaron Rogers run in circles behind the LOS, EVER?

You’re right, Watson is the only good thing we got. But the gap between what we’re getting from Watson right now & the NFL standard, is huge.

Circles behind the LOS.
You gotta be kidding. Rodgers and every other qb with a hint of mobility will do that to buy more time.

A 5 second YouTube search and you can easily find plays with him “runnng in circles” to avoid pressure. Pretty sure Russel Wilson and Pat Mahomes have several of those types of plays as well.

There’s a few plays in that short highlight where he does the running in circle thing.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
If sitting in the zone is what Watson was wanting, Watson had already released the ball aimed at the target where he expected Fuller to be (if you want to call it sitting in the zone)...........he threw the ball behind where Fuller actually would have been if he sat in the zone............and it would have still been deflected.

I don't need to be a mind reader to know that no team with TEs out there out there game plans to exclude them from the receiving game..............especially when you have Fells who has 16 receptions for 14.6 yd per receptions with 3 TDs in the previous 6 games.

Texansballer74

The Marine
If sitting in the zone is what Watson was wanting, Watson had already released the ball aimed at the target where he expected Fuller to be (if you want to call it sitting in the zone)...........he threw the ball behind where Fuller actually would have been if he sat in the zone............and it would have still been deflected.

I don't need to be a mind reader to know that no team with TEs out there out there game plans to exclude them from the receiving game..............especially when you have Fells who has 16 receptions for 14.6 yd per receptions with 3 TDs in the previous 6 games.

Wow ok lol

amazing80

Hall of Fame

So it’s your opinion that Watson is just choosing to ignore his TE’s from one week to the next?

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Not a mind reader, I just use information and logic based on my many discussions with coaches and scouting personnel. Game planning/scheme doesn't ever exclude TEs as an option for receiving unless the team has no receiving TEs. If you aren't, I am finished with this discussion. :tiphat:

Was there Any TE targets in this game ? I don't recall a single one.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
If that bum Russel Wilson hadn’t thrown all those picks tonight, they wouldn’t be in OT tonight.

Amazing how some of y’all on one of the few good players on this team.

Nobody goes out there and plays a perfect game. Aaron Rodgers had some throws he wished he had back in that game.

This team is too bad in a thousand other places to be throwing it all on the QB. Could he stand to play better? Sure. But considering the situation he’s in with the state of this franchise, he still completed 74% of his passes, threw for over 300 yards, threw multiple TD passes, and didn’t turn the ball over. I just don’t get why some are so he’ll bent to hate on the guy like that. That makes no sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
If that bum Russel Wilson hadn’t thrown all those picks tonight, they wouldn’t be in OT tonight.

Amazing how some of y’all **** on one of the few good players on this team.

Nobody goes out there and plays a perfect game. Aaron Rodgers had some throws he wished he had back in that game.

This team is too bad in a thousand other places to be throwing it all on the ******* QB. Could he stand to play better? Sure. But considering the shitty situation he’s in with the state of this franchise, he still completed 74% of his passes, threw for over 300 yards, threw multiple TD passes, and didn’t turn the ball over. I just don’t get why some are so he’ll bent to hate on the guy like that. That makes no ******* sense.
For me it’s not about hating on Watson. I don’t expect him to win on his on and it’s not the team losing games that worries me, with this team right now I expect that. That being said though I also know that pretty much everyone is on the chomping block except him, and maybe Tunsil, and that the team will be built completely around him. That’s fine but if we are going to do that and pay him like a franchise QB then yes I expect him to play like a franchise QB.

And no that doesn’t mean play perfectly but it does mean improving and not making the same mistakes he made his rookie year. People on here keep saying he has improved and in some ways yes but not as much as I would hope for. He still holds it to long, he still doesn’t target the short game and he still thinks he can escape from anything.

If I sound tough on him is because I think he’s one of the only players on this team worth a damn and of that short list the only one that can make a difference. Of the rest of the team about 45 of them I have written off as trade or cut bait at best so I don’t care if they improve because I don’t think they can. Watson I still think could improve and it frustrates the hell out of me that he doesn’t seem to being doing so in the areas it counts most.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Amazing how some of y’all on one of the few good players on this team.

This team is too bad in a thousand other places to be throwing it all on the QB. Could he stand to play better? Sure. But considering the situation he’s in with the state of this franchise, he still completed 74% of his passes, threw for over 300 yards, threw multiple TD passes, and didn’t turn the ball over. I just don’t get why some are so he’ll bent to hate on the guy like that. That makes no sense.

The reasoning so far:

1. His contract
2. He didn’t target the Tight Ends
3. He has to play like a Super Hero ( even though those same people complained when he was trying to be the hero)
4. He wasn’t some of their picks
5. His contract will eat up too much of the cap.
6. He’s not running the ball like he should.
7. He’s too friendly

KarlK

Waterboy
Not posted since the day of the Jags game when Watson looked great again soon as OB was out the door.
This week we came out with a questionable game plan again and yes, DW came up just short on both FG drives where we threatened to come back into it. But again, a decent game overall from him.

Watson is having a low-key good season, not had a bad game yet this year despite the turd of a scheme he’s been given.

It’s sad how many records this guy is breaking despite being held back on this trash team. Again heard one along the lines of best QB stats on a worst record team today.
Yeah, a great season if you like a 1-6 record and 2/3 of his production coming when the game is already out of reach. Simpletons rejoice over the empty stats he puts up each week.

He certainly is the best in the league at calling his own number and throwing TD passes from the 3 yard line or keeping it and running it in from the 1 while his team is getting it's brains beat in, i'll give him that. No wonder no running backs want to play here.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
The reasoning so far:

1. His contract
3. He has to play like a Super Hero ( even though those same people complained when he was trying to be the hero)
7. He’s too friendly
The excuses so far

1. Bill O’Brien
2. The scheme is wrong for him
3. The Oline is bad
4. The defense is bad
5. There is no running game
6. He doesn’t have Hopkins
7. The WRs can’t catch
8. We apparently don’t even have TEs on the field at least that’s how it sounds
9. There is no one open
10. He’s just trying to win

Decim8

Veteran
He certainly is the best in the league at calling his own number and throwing TD passes from the 3 yard line or keeping it and running it in from the 1 while his team is getting it's brains beat in, i'll give him that. No wonder no running backs want to play here.
Haven't our RBs been stuffed at the goal line a few times this year though? Ive always like the idea of watson in the shot gun/pistol, spread formation in the red zone

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Seriously. Why does every thread derail into a DW4 thread? There are way too many problems with this team before we even get to the QB. The inability to run the ball, and poor tackling, should be front & foremost. Yet, we wanna waste all this time discussing why DW didn't throw the ball to any TEs?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The reasoning so far:

1. His contract
7. He’s too friendly
1 and 5 are the same and why I dont think he will ever win a championship.