Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2024 Texans off season

Off season needs :-
Offense.
I think Texans will part ways with Dalton Schultz as doing so will free up $11m. So now, do we go for one in the draft, or FA? I tend to favor FA here as TE's are a dual role piece and a proven one in that capacity would be optimal.
You could try for Ja'Tavion Sanders in the draft as option 2 in round 2. Cade Stover is also on my radar - dual role piece who would relish the opportunity to team up with his Buckeye QB buddy.

Some very interesting FAs - I don't expect all of them to go unsigned by their team, but we shall see.
If I can get any of these guys, we have upgrades:-
WR Tee Higgins Bengals
ED Carl Lawson Jets
WR Michael Thomas Saints
RB AJ Dillon Packers
LB Drue Tranquil Chiefs
DL DJ Reader Bengals
DL Christian Wilkins Dolphins
RG Damien Lewis Seahawks
S Kamren Curl Commanders
ED Bud Dupree Falcons
TE Hunter Henry Patriots

Offense.
I think Texans will part ways with Dalton Schultz as doing so will free up $11m. So now, do we go for one in the draft, or FA? I tend to favor FA here as TE's are a dual role piece and a proven one in that capacity would be optimal.
You could try for Ja'Tavion Sanders in the draft as option 2 in round 2. Cade Stover is also on my radar - dual role piece who would relish the opportunity to team up with his Buckeye QB buddy.
Our lack of a good running game was exposed by the Ravens so this must be addressed - the oline should be better next season without adding any pieces as we have guys returning off IR, but as someone pointed out, a proven RG would help. Still, Singletary definitely needs a quality helper out there (if he's retained). Trey Benson is the best back in this draft and would be a nice piece to have but will unlikely be there when we pick in the second round.
WR - Nico Collins has emerged as a #1 - not top tier #1, but a #1 nonetheless. Tank Dell is a weapon but for mine, he should be used on specific plays - this will ease the workload on him. Noah Brown is good when healthy but Texans may part ways with him to save on cap space. Robert Woods is handy but getting older and is more of a possession receiver nowadays.
John Metchie may never be the player we had hoped for for whatever reason - I wish the young man well. Xavier Hutchinson is not going to frighten any defenses.
So, this necessitates at least one more prime WR and that is where this draft is most excellent. Any one of the top 8 guys should be an upgrade for us with plenty of potential further down the draft.
Texans should take one of the top 5 guys if one falls to us at #23 and/or another one further down or from FA.
Taking these steps should give us an upgrade on the offense for 2024.
I'll address the defense in another post.
Schultz signed one year deal for $6.25 million spread over two seasons for cap. How do we save $11 million?

How can we not take OL?
Because we're able to upgrade 3 out of the 5 positions with players already on the team - LG, OC and RT. And it's possible that RG could be upgraded. Because of other needs, we likely wouldn't be taking an OLman until day 3, in which case the player drafted possibly wouldn't be better than what we already have.

Kendrick Green will be an upgrade at LG. Scruggs will be an upgrade at OC. And Tytus Howard will be an upgrade at RT. If he can stay healthy, Kenyon Green has played RG in college and could challenge Shaq Mason at RG. Patterson and Broeker could also challenge for playing time.

Our OL was roilled by our injuries. We don't know what we already have until these guys are healthy and playing. We have too many other priorities to address.

Because we're able to upgrade 3 out of the 5 positions with players already on the team - LG, OC and RT. And it's possible that RG could be upgraded. Because of other needs, we likely wouldn't be taking an OLman until day 3, in which case the player drafted possibly wouldn't be better than what we already have.

Kendrick Green will be an upgrade at LG. Scruggs will be an upgrade at OC. And Tytus Howard will be an upgrade at RT. If he can stay healthy, Kenyon Green has played RG in college and could challenge Shaq Mason at RG. Patterson and Broeker could also challenge for playing time.

Our OL was roilled by our injuries. We don't know what we already have until these guys are healthy and playing. We have too many other priorities to address.
Except if Howard can't make it back from injury, which is likely according to CnD. Then RT becomes a priority IMHO.

What do we do if Kendrick Green isn't the guy and Howard's injury keeps him out? If Fant and Josh Jones think Howard is returning, they should go to another team.
We at least have a guy in Patterson to play LG but who is RT then? I want to be proactive not reactive this off season.

What do we do if Kendrick Green isn't the guy and Howard's injury keeps him out? If Fant and Josh Jones think Howard is returning, they should go to another team.
We at least have a guy in Patterson to play LG but who is RT then? I want to be proactive not reactive this off season.

Gotta pick your spots to be proactive. Also have to trust you now have coaches who can develop players and I think Strausser/Popovich can do that.

I am very interested to see the young interior guys in training camp this year after an offseason to improve.

I agree they need to find a swing OT candidate to develop. Whether they think that’s Josh Jones or stand pat with Fant I don’t know. But I know Heck is not that guy. I wouldn’t be against drafting one day 3. Or possibly moving Kenyon Green out there to see if he’ll stick (college experience).

Except if Howard can't make it back from injury, which is likely according to CnD. Then RT becomes a priority IMHO.
I agree. I had forgotten that Howard's injury was so severe. He's now out of the picture.
Jones has not performed well playing on the right side (2021). I would look elsewhere.

I believe Kendrick Green can be the guy at LG. But I'm hoping Kenyon Green will make it back. But also, as you pointed out, Patterson performed pretty well at LG at Nortre Dame.

Fant only performed adequately this year and needs to be upgraded. Heck is not an answer. If Fant can be signed for a cap friendly contract, we should do so. But we need to also look for an upgrade, either in free agency or the draft.

My forgetting about the seriousness of Howard's injury has really thrown a wrench into my thinking about next year's OL.

They've got Patterson/Kenyon/Kendrick/Scruggs competing for 2 IOL spots.

Probably going to have to use a rd 1 or 2 pick on a RT and re-sign Jones to be the swing OT.

Offense.
Our lack of a good running game was exposed by the Ravens so this must be addressed - the oline should be better next season without adding any pieces as we have guys returning off IR, but as someone pointed out, a proven RG would help. Still, Singletary definitely needs a quality helper out there (if he's retained). Trey Benson is the best back in this draft and would be a nice piece to have but will unlikely be there when we pick in the second round.
WR - Nico Collins has emerged as a #1 - not top tier #1, but a #1 nonetheless. Tank Dell is a weapon but for mine, he should be used on specific plays - this will ease the workload on him. Noah Brown is good when healthy but Texans may part ways with him to save on cap space. Robert Woods is handy but getting older and is more of a possession receiver nowadays.
John Metchie may never be the player we had hoped for for whatever reason - I wish the young man well. Xavier Hutchinson is not going to frighten any defenses.
So, this necessitates at least one more prime WR and that is where this draft is most excellent. Any one of the top 8 guys should be an upgrade for us with plenty of potential further down the draft.
Texans should take one of the top 5 guys if one falls to us at #23 and/or another one further down or from FA.
Taking these steps should give us an upgrade on the offense for 2024.
I'll address the defense in another post.
This is going to be a fairly long post.

TE
I wouldn’t mind resigning Dalton Schultz for the right price, but I can also see us letting him walk. Hunter Henry could be signed a little cheaper because of his down year.

There are actually several TEs in the draft that I’m keeping an eye on:
Ben Sinnott- late day 2/early day 3 “Able to line up at fullback, H-back, Y, or F, Sinnott can do your taxes and wash your car for you too if you need it. A move piece for an offense, he’s a tough runner with smooth hands and the toughness to plow through arm tackles. Sinnott does a nice job as a pure hands-catcher, as well.” Link
Jared Wiley- early day 3 “Wiley uses his 6-foot-7 frame to overpower smaller defenders in both the run and pass. He has experience with his hand in the dirt, flexed out in space, and has a sneaky amount of athleticism at his size that I expect to surprise defenders tasked with covering him next week.” Link
Cade Stover- early day 3 “Stover checks all the cosmetic boxes to win over old-school football minds, but he’s also a high-utility and productive TE in the modern age.” Link
There are a few day 3 TE prospects that might produce in the Shrine and Senior Bowls that I want to read the practice reports on (Zach Heins SDSU, AJ Barner Michigan, Isaac Rex BYU, Dallin Holker CSU).

WR
I want to add to the WR room. Robert Woods has been a great veteran, but I would cut him and save 5 mil. While I wouldn’t be opposed to adding a high end FA like Tee Higgins or Mike Evans, my preference would be to take advantage of this deep WR class.

There are multiple receivers that I think would be great additions to our room, but I’ll list a few and a sleeper pick
Brian Thomas Jr- day 1 “Thomas also shows awesome ball-tracking ability over his shoulder to find the ball downfield smoothly.
In addition to vertical routes, LSU also spammed short crossing routes with Thomas. His burst and speed in the open field are devastating, and he has a natural feel for space and when to make himself friendly to the quarterback.” Link
Xavier Legette- late day 1/day 2 “
While Legette lacks quickness and refinement at the line of scrimmage, he makes up for it with his long speed. He has enough juice to consistently threaten down the field on go routes, posts and deep crossing routes once he starts striding out. He is also a bully-style yards-after-the-catch player thanks to his ample speed and strong build.
More importantly, Legette is a devastating contested-catch player. His massive frame and excellent hand-eye coordination make it easy for him to high-point the ball. Legette is also an effortless and flexible mover in the air, which allows him to contort his body as needed to get the ball.” Link
Ladd McConkey- day 2 “
McConkey is one of the better route-runners in the 2024 draft class. His quick feet, smooth hips and instant acceleration allow him to run any route effectively. McConkey particularly excelled running digs, posts and comebacks at Georgia thanks to his acceleration, which helped him put defensive backs on their back foot immediately. The detail in many of his routes is advanced for a player his age.
On top of that, McConkey shows solid hands. He has the concentration ability to find the ball and hang onto it through traffic, which will be of great value for someone who does most of their work to the intermediate range.” Link
Jalen Coker- late day 2 “He has underestimated agility and cut ability, which he combines with good FBI and quick turns to identify and sit in zone uncovers. His solid stem and route running skills often aid in stacking slower DBs and breaking on intermediate routes, generating some initial space, and sufficient deep speed.” Link (Coker is a sleeper pick that I expect his stock to rise after his Shrine week. I’ve seen or listened to multiple draft analysts talk very highly of him.)

RB
I’d actually prefer to address this in FA with a possibility of adding another in the draft. As much as I like Dameon Pierce, I think trading him to a team where his skill set might be utilized better should at least be considered. I wouldn’t mind resigning Devin “Motor” Singletary plus drafting a guy, but we do need a change. Other free agents that I’d want to be considered depending on price would be: Josh Jacobs, Saquon Barkley, or Derrick Henry. Yes Henry is getting up there, but he still had over 1k yards with the worst OL in the league. For all of the free agent options, want to have a lot of incentives in the contract based on play percentage and performance.

This isn’t a loaded draft class, but there are a few options I’d look into.
Trey Benson- day 2 “
Benson is a 6’1″, 220-pound runner who has a tendency to run upright at times. However, he is very skilled at quickly navigating through seams as a north/south runner, and he can explode downfield with his vertical speed. Benson’s foot speed and micro-mobility impress within his long-strider mold, and in a limited sample, he’s shown off exciting receiving upside. Of the backs in the 2024 NFL Draft, Benson has the best chance to be a true three-down workhorse.” Link
Bucky Irving- late day 2 “At 5’10”, 194 pounds, Irving isn’t the most imposing back upon initial viewing, but he catches defenders off guard repeatedly with his spry short-area burst and dangerous elusiveness in space, and he’s surprisingly physical for his size, with the contact balance to bounce off solo tackles.” Link
Audric Estime- late day 2 “At 5’11”, 227 pounds, Estime is an absolute bowling ball in open space whose hyper-elite contact balance allows him to churn through crowds with ease. But he quietly has good vision, patience, and tempo control, and in a limited sample, he’s flashed receiving upside.” Link
Isaiah Davis- early day 3 “Davis looks like your classic physical, downhill runner at 6’1″, 220 pounds. He’s a forward-churning runner with great finishing ability, and that’ll win over NFL scouts. But peel back the surface layers, and you’ll also see an impressively creative runner with energetic feet, adaptability, and sharp vision.” Link

OL
Yes we addressed OL last offseason, but we still need more depth. Plus with the unknown timeframe when Howard will be healthy I think it’s pertinent to add more. George Fant performed decently when injuries started piling up. Yes it could have been better, but if we could resign him it’d be great that he already knows the system. I would hesitate spending more of our cap space on OL unless it is a deal.

Fortunately, this is an excellent OL class where we could add depth and possibly develop a guy into a quality starter.
While I’ve seen us mocked OL on day 1 or 2, I’m not opposed to spending a top 100 pick on another OL I want other positions addressed. I’m always on the lookout for prospects, but these are the guys I’m watching in draft season so far:

Matt Conclaves- early day 3 “Goncalves maintains a wide base and low pad level in pass protection. His footwork is smooth and consistent, only breaking when he’s stressed vertically by a speedy or explosive edge defender. Goncalves’ feet stay active but avoid getting undisciplined.” Link He’s a possible option as a swing tackle. He accepted a Shrine Bowl, so I’ll be watching practice reports.

Garrett Greenfield- day 3 “What scouts will love about Greenfield is his ability as a run blocker. In this area he shows impressive strength deleiving a fierce first jolt off the ball and controlling his man with his vicegrip strength. In addition to displaying impressive power he also has the nastiness offensive line coaches love, consistently playing through the echo of the whistle.” Link Another Shrine Bowl guy that could see his stock rise with a good performance.

TE
I wouldn’t mind resigning Dalton Schultz for the right price, but I can also see us letting him walk. Hunter Henry could be signed a little cheaper because of his down year.

Ben Sinnott- late day 2/early day 3 “Able to line up at fullback, H-back, Y, or F, Sinnott can do your taxes and wash your car for you too if you need it. A move piece for an offense, he’s a tough runner with smooth hands and the toughness to plow through arm tackles. Sinnott does a nice job as a pure hands-catcher, as well.” Link
Jared Wiley- early day 3 “Wiley uses his 6-foot-7 frame to overpower smaller defenders in both the run and pass. He has experience with his hand in the dirt, flexed out in space, and has a sneaky amount of athleticism at his size that I expect to surprise defenders tasked with covering him next week.” Link
Cade Stover- early day 3 “Stover checks all the cosmetic boxes to win over old-school football minds, but he’s also a high-utility and productive TE in the modern age.” Link
There are a few day 3 TE prospects that might produce in the Shrine and Senior Bowls that I want to read the practice reports on (Zach Heins SDSU, AJ Barner Michigan, Isaac Rex BYU, Dallin Holker CSU).

WR
I want to add to the WR room. Robert Woods has been a great veteran, but I would cut him and save 5 mil. While I wouldn’t be opposed to adding a high end FA like Tee Higgins or Mike Evans, my preference would be to take advantage of this deep WR class.

There are multiple receivers that I think would be great additions to our room, but I’ll list a few and a sleeper pick
Brian Thomas Jr- day 1 “Thomas also shows awesome ball-tracking ability over his shoulder to find the ball downfield smoothly.
In addition to vertical routes, LSU also spammed short crossing routes with Thomas. His burst and speed in the open field are devastating, and he has a natural feel for space and when to make himself friendly to the quarterback.” Link
While Legette lacks quickness and refinement at the line of scrimmage, he makes up for it with his long speed. He has enough juice to consistently threaten down the field on go routes, posts and deep crossing routes once he starts striding out. He is also a bully-style yards-after-the-catch player thanks to his ample speed and strong build.
More importantly, Legette is a devastating contested-catch player. His massive frame and excellent hand-eye coordination make it easy for him to high-point the ball. Legette is also an effortless and flexible mover in the air, which allows him to contort his body as needed to get the ball.” Link
Ladd McConkey- day 2 “
McConkey is one of the better route-runners in the 2024 draft class. His quick feet, smooth hips and instant acceleration allow him to run any route effectively. McConkey particularly excelled running digs, posts and comebacks at Georgia thanks to his acceleration, which helped him put defensive backs on their back foot immediately. The detail in many of his routes is advanced for a player his age.
On top of that, McConkey shows solid hands. He has the concentration ability to find the ball and hang onto it through traffic, which will be of great value for someone who does most of their work to the intermediate range.” Link
Jalen Coker- late day 2 “He has underestimated agility and cut ability, which he combines with good FBI and quick turns to identify and sit in zone uncovers. His solid stem and route running skills often aid in stacking slower DBs and breaking on intermediate routes, generating some initial space, and sufficient deep speed.” Link (Coker is a sleeper pick that I expect his stock to rise after his Shrine week. I’ve seen or listened to multiple draft analysts talk very highly of him.)

RB
I’d actually prefer to address this in FA with a possibility of adding another in the draft. As much as I like Dameon Pierce, I think trading him to a team where his skill set might be utilized better should at least be considered. I wouldn’t mind resigning Devin “Motor” Singletary plus drafting a guy, but we do need a change. Other free agents that I’d want to be considered depending on price would be: Josh Jacobs, Saquon Barkley, or Derrick Henry. Yes Henry is getting up there, but he still had over 1k yards with the worst OL in the league. For all of the free agent options, want to have a lot of incentives in the contract based on play percentage and performance.

Trey Benson- day 2 “
Benson is a 6’1″, 220-pound runner who has a tendency to run upright at times. However, he is very skilled at quickly navigating through seams as a north/south runner, and he can explode downfield with his vertical speed. Benson’s foot speed and micro-mobility impress within his long-strider mold, and in a limited sample, he’s shown off exciting receiving upside. Of the backs in the 2024 NFL Draft, Benson has the best chance to be a true three-down workhorse.” Link
Bucky Irving- late day 2 “At 5’10”, 194 pounds, Irving isn’t the most imposing back upon initial viewing, but he catches defenders off guard repeatedly with his spry short-area burst and dangerous elusiveness in space, and he’s surprisingly physical for his size, with the contact balance to bounce off solo tackles.” Link
Audric Estime- late day 2 “At 5’11”, 227 pounds, Estime is an absolute bowling ball in open space whose hyper-elite contact balance allows him to churn through crowds with ease. But he quietly has good vision, patience, and tempo control, and in a limited sample, he’s flashed receiving upside.” Link
Isaiah Davis- early day 3 “Davis looks like your classic physical, downhill runner at 6’1″, 220 pounds. He’s a forward-churning runner with great finishing ability, and that’ll win over NFL scouts. But peel back the surface layers, and you’ll also see an impressively creative runner with energetic feet, adaptability, and sharp vision.” Link

OL
Yes we addressed OL last offseason, but we still need more depth. Plus with the unknown timeframe when Howard will be healthy I think it’s pertinent to add more. George Fant performed decently when injuries started piling up. Yes it could have been better, but if we could resign him it’d be great that he already knows the system. I would hesitate spending more of our cap space on OL unless it is a deal.

Fortunately, this is an excellent OL class where we could add depth and possibly develop a guy into a quality starter.
While I’ve seen us mocked OL on day 1 or 2, I’m not opposed to spending a top 100 pick on another OL I want other positions addressed. I’m always on the lookout for prospects, but these are the guys I’m watching in draft season so far:

Matt Conclaves- early day 3 “Goncalves maintains a wide base and low pad level in pass protection. His footwork is smooth and consistent, only breaking when he’s stressed vertically by a speedy or explosive edge defender. Goncalves’ feet stay active but avoid getting undisciplined.” Link He’s a possible option as a swing tackle. He accepted a Shrine Bowl, so I’ll be watching practice reports.

Garrett Greenfield- day 3 “What scouts will love about Greenfield is his ability as a run blocker. In this area he shows impressive strength deleiving a fierce first jolt off the ball and controlling his man with his vicegrip strength. In addition to displaying impressive power he also has the nastiness offensive line coaches love, consistently playing through the echo of the whistle.” Link Another Shrine Bowl guy that could see his stock rise with a good performance.
I like Conclaves quite a bit.

Good writeup on Legette.

What do you think about Braelon Allen? I like him a lot and think he goes sometimes on day 2.

Off season needs:-
Defense.
Demeco Ryans did an incredible job with our defense this season - it seems that ordinary mortals suddenly become pro bowl candidates!
Derek Stingley has finally hit his stride and looks like a lock down Corner and this was probably the biggest plus for this defense when you consider he was the 3rd pick overall in 2022.
Nick Caserio has done a great job for us since coming over from the dark side on both sides of the ball especially on defense. He pulled a ninja coup getting Will Anderson who looks like he is going to be a menace for years to come. And Christian Harris is looking like a real find now too. He also found several nuggets in FA - even well into the season. We won't have the luxury of picking high in the waiver wire this next season so the initial FA period will have to be where he gets aggressive this go round.
Still, I think this defense could benefit with the injection of two key pieces, both being on the Dline - a quality big dude in the middle and another top Edge.
There are a few nice Edge prospects that should be available to us in Jared Verse, Bralen Trice and Chop Robinson - but I do not expect these guys to be quite in the WA category but with the help of some extra push in the middle and having WA on the opposite side they, and Johnathan Greenard, should benefit - and the latter will need to be paid - so, do we keep him? If not, then Edge suddenly becomes a top priority, either in the draft or better, FA.
Good DT's can be found in later rounds but a guy like Jer'Zhan Newton would be nice to have - in the first, but may require a move up to get him and teams typically don't do that with DT's unless he is a slam dunk top 5 pick.
T'Vondre Sweat could be had with our second with perhaps a small move up.
Safety is another area we could look at but not a high priority unless we move away from Jimmy Ward - a distinct possibility. There are a couple of nice prospects in the draft in Calen Bullock and Kamren Kinchens, in the second round.
Steven Nelson has done a great job for us also this year, but do Texans keep him? If not, the CB also becomes a need. Kalen King and Koolaid McKinstry could also be targets if so.
The defense is a complicated animal requiring intimate knowledge of all the scheme nuances so it will be interesting to see how FO approaches it - I know Demeco will have his way - in him I trust.
Another long post for the defensive side of the ball.

Edge
There are excellent options both in the draft and in FA. Jonathan Greenard had an excellent season, but I don’t know if I’d resign him for the price he is probably going to command. I’d want more than 1 “mostly healthy” season. Derek Barnett was a pleasant surprise off the waiver wire. I’d resign him to see if he could expand his production with a full offseason in the system. I don’t know if we could get Danielle Hunter, but I’d at least take a swing.
The draft has some top end talent at edge and if one of the top 3 guys (Dallas Turner, Jared Verse, Laiatu Latu) were to slide I wouldn’t hesitate.
There are a few other guys I’m watching, but it’d all depend on how the board falls.

DL
I’d LOVE to steal Justin Madubuike from the Ravens, but I have a feeling he’s going to get tagged. Sheldon Rankins was serviceable, and depending on price could be an option the resign.
There are several DTs in the draft and I’d love to draft at least 1.

Jer’Zhan Newton- day 1 “Newton is just a disruptive player overall. He's strong and stout at the point of attack against the run to stun offensive linemen and stay in his gap. He also has little to no issues getting off blocks and can make plays outside of his gap with his impressive blend of strength and athleticism.” Link

Byron Murphy II- day 1 Yes I would take him day 1. I think his stock is going to rise during draft season. Some analysts I’ve listened to even have him as DT1. “Murphy's get-off and overall quickness are what pops off the tape at first, especially for his size. The 308-pounder either gets into offensive linemen shortly after the snap or uses his impressive agility and quickness to beat guards across their faces when slanting. He also has good pad level and tree trunks for legs that make him hard to move.” Link
Brandon Dorlus- day 2 “He can play 2i and 3-tech and use his burst, leverage, and powerful hands to disrupt. And when isolated 1-on-1, he can stack-and-shed run blocks and prevent displacement.” Link
T’Vondre Sweat- day 2 “
Sweat is a near-immovable mass at 6’4″, 346 pounds, and he plays up to his size in run defense. He can absorb double-teams effortlessly with his elite raw strength and leveraging ability. He also has the power to work through blocks and the closing burst and motor to finish plays.
As a pass-rusher, Sweat gives glimpses of excellence, too. When working 1-on-1, he can generate impressive torque on his punches, and he’s flashed the ability to stack combos violently and channel power late in reps. And if he doesn’t get home, he’s very proactive using his length to clog passing lanes.”
Braden Fiske- day 2 “He’s got that dog mentality but takes it up a notch. He eats nails for breakfast. However you want to describe it, Fiske’s motor is unhinged. On every play, he simply wants it more than his opponent, and that can make the difference.” Link
Dewayne Carter- day 2 “Ideally, he aligns as a true 3-technique and handles single gap/lane responsibilities. Carter has powerful hands versus the run and at the point of attack. He does a good job from being displaced and moved off the line for scrimmage. Functional full-body strength allows him to hold his ground and anchor well. Carter has lateral agility and balance to disrupt zone and outside run plays. He can occupy blockers to keep his linebackers free and clean to flow with the football.” Link

LB
I think there is room for improvement. I’d resign Blake Cashman. He’s earned a contract and wouldn’t be too pricey. I’d also would look into seeing what the price tag for either Patrick Queen or Frankie Luvu would be. Or if those guys are out of our price range Lavonte David is still playing at a high level that could be gotten for a little cheaper because of his age.

The LB class is pretty thin this year, and I don’t know if I’d spend a pick other than a day 3.
Here are some day 3 guys.
Eli Neal- Hula Bowl standout “Neal forced a fumble in Saturday's game, something he did just one other time in his college career. Neal is no stranger to turnovers, however, after being a part of at-least ten in college. Neal displayed his usual high motor in Orlando, coming off a season where he had 10.5 tackles for loss.”
Jackson Mitchell- he’ll be at the Shrine Bowl and I listened to a podcast that described him as one to watch. Link

CB
I’d try resign Steven Nelson if we can, but I think this is a need of ours. Luckily, the draft has some depth. Guys I’d draft on day 1 would be Cooper DeJean, Kool-aid McKinstry, Terrion Arnold, or Nate Wiggins. All would be good options across from Stingley. Day 2 guys would be Kamari Lassiter, TJ Tampa, Mike Sainristil, and DJ James.
I’m waiting for the Shrine and Senior bowls to be completed for day 3 options

S
This is another position that I think needs to be addressed. A FA that I think could be gotten for a good deal would be Jeremy Chinn. I think the coaching changes in CAR affected his production because they didn’t know how to use him.
The draft has a few guys to watch, but is ultimately not very deep.
Tyler Nubin- late day 1/early day 2 “In coverage, Nubin is fluid, physical, adaptable, efficient, variable with his technique, a quick processor, and a ravenous turnover generator. In run support, Nubin is a tenacious downhill attacker with instant angle recognition skills, play strength, and tackling ability.” Link
Kamren Kinchens- late day 1/early day 2 “He is a fluid athlete who has coverage ability in man and deep zone, as well as the physicality to play the run from deep or close to the line of scrimmage.” Link
Tykee Smith- day 2 “Smith stands at 5-foot-10 and 205 pounds but looks the part of an NFL player, whether he plays safety or possibly slot cornerback at the next level. While he is a bit shorter, he is one of the best tacklers in the draft class, wrapping up consistently and stopping ball carriers in their tracks.” Link

I like Conclaves quite a bit.

Good writeup on Legette.

What do you think about Braelon Allen? I like him a lot and think he goes sometimes on day 2.
I like Allen, but he wouldn’t be my choice if others were on the board. Honestly I hope we go the FA route versus the draft. The draft is a lot deeper at other positions and I’d like to capitalize on those with our picks.

TE

WR

Ladd McConkey- day 2 “

RB

Trey Benson- day 2 “

OL

Great informative post. Thanks.

TE

WR

Ladd McConkey- day 2 “

RB

Trey Benson- day 2 “

OL

Estime is amazing. I do not understand why no one is talking more about him. He is a load-bearing three down running back. I can see using our round 7s for offensive line depth.

Another long post for the defensive side of the ball.

Edge
There are excellent options both in the draft and in FA. Jonathan Greenard had an excellent season, but I don’t know if I’d resign him for the price he is probably going to command. I’d want more than 1 “mostly healthy” season. Derek Barnett was a pleasant surprise off the waiver wire. I’d resign him to see if he could expand his production with a full offseason in the system. I don’t know if we could get Danielle Hunter, but I’d at least take a swing.
The draft has some top end talent at edge and if one of the top 3 guys (Dallas Turner, Jared Verse, Laiatu Latu) were to slide I wouldn’t hesitate.
There are a few other guys I’m watching, but it’d all depend on how the board falls.

DL
I’d LOVE to steal Justin Madubuike from the Ravens, but I have a feeling he’s going to get tagged. Sheldon Rankins was serviceable, and depending on price could be an option the resign.
There are several DTs in the draft and I’d love to draft at least 1.

Jer’Zhan Newton- day 1 “Newton is just a disruptive player overall. He's strong and stout at the point of attack against the run to stun offensive linemen and stay in his gap. He also has little to no issues getting off blocks and can make plays outside of his gap with his impressive blend of strength and athleticism.” Link

Byron Murphy II- day 1 Yes I would take him day 1. I think his stock is going to rise during draft season. Some analysts I’ve listened to even have him as DT1. “Murphy's get-off and overall quickness are what pops off the tape at first, especially for his size. The 308-pounder either gets into offensive linemen shortly after the snap or uses his impressive agility and quickness to beat guards across their faces when slanting. He also has good pad level and tree trunks for legs that make him hard to move.” Link
Brandon Dorlus- day 2 “He can play 2i and 3-tech and use his burst, leverage, and powerful hands to disrupt. And when isolated 1-on-1, he can stack-and-shed run blocks and prevent displacement.” Link
T’Vondre Sweat- day 2 “
Sweat is a near-immovable mass at 6’4″, 346 pounds, and he plays up to his size in run defense. He can absorb double-teams effortlessly with his elite raw strength and leveraging ability. He also has the power to work through blocks and the closing burst and motor to finish plays.
As a pass-rusher, Sweat gives glimpses of excellence, too. When working 1-on-1, he can generate impressive torque on his punches, and he’s flashed the ability to stack combos violently and channel power late in reps. And if he doesn’t get home, he’s very proactive using his length to clog passing lanes.”
Braden Fiske- day 2 “He’s got that dog mentality but takes it up a notch. He eats nails for breakfast. However you want to describe it, Fiske’s motor is unhinged. On every play, he simply wants it more than his opponent, and that can make the difference.” Link
Dewayne Carter- day 2 “Ideally, he aligns as a true 3-technique and handles single gap/lane responsibilities. Carter has powerful hands versus the run and at the point of attack. He does a good job from being displaced and moved off the line for scrimmage. Functional full-body strength allows him to hold his ground and anchor well. Carter has lateral agility and balance to disrupt zone and outside run plays. He can occupy blockers to keep his linebackers free and clean to flow with the football.” Link

LB
I think there is room for improvement. I’d resign Blake Cashman. He’s earned a contract and wouldn’t be too pricey. I’d also would look into seeing what the price tag for either Patrick Queen or Frankie Luvu would be. Or if those guys are out of our price range Lavonte David is still playing at a high level that could be gotten for a little cheaper because of his age.

The LB class is pretty thin this year, and I don’t know if I’d spend a pick other than a day 3.
Here are some day 3 guys.
Eli Neal- Hula Bowl standout “Neal forced a fumble in Saturday's game, something he did just one other time in his college career. Neal is no stranger to turnovers, however, after being a part of at-least ten in college. Neal displayed his usual high motor in Orlando, coming off a season where he had 10.5 tackles for loss.”
Jackson Mitchell- he’ll be at the Shrine Bowl and I listened to a podcast that described him as one to watch. Link

CB
I’d try resign Steven Nelson if we can, but I think this is a need of ours. Luckily, the draft has some depth. Guys I’d draft on day 1 would be Cooper DeJean, Kool-aid McKinstry, Terrion Arnold, or Nate Wiggins. All would be good options across from Stingley. Day 2 guys would be Kamari Lassiter, TJ Tampa, Mike Sainristil, and DJ James.
I’m waiting for the Shrine and Senior bowls to be completed for day 3 options

S
This is another position that I think needs to be addressed. A FA that I think could be gotten for a good deal would be Jeremy Chinn. I think the coaching changes in CAR affected his production because they didn’t know how to use him.
The draft has a few guys to watch, but is ultimately not very deep.
Tyler Nubin- late day 1/early day 2 “In coverage, Nubin is fluid, physical, adaptable, efficient, variable with his technique, a quick processor, and a ravenous turnover generator. In run support, Nubin is a tenacious downhill attacker with instant angle recognition skills, play strength, and tackling ability.” Link
Kamren Kinchens- late day 1/early day 2 “He is a fluid athlete who has coverage ability in man and deep zone, as well as the physicality to play the run from deep or close to the line of scrimmage.” Link
Tykee Smith- day 2 “Smith stands at 5-foot-10 and 205 pounds but looks the part of an NFL player, whether he plays safety or possibly slot cornerback at the next level. While he is a bit shorter, he is one of the best tacklers in the draft class, wrapping up consistently and stopping ball carriers in their tracks.” Link
Any thoughts on why Chicago hasn't extended Jaylon Johnson? Young and good; I would offer him a great deal abd still offer Nelson $5-7 APY.

Geno Stone FS another exciting FA I would be all over.

I like DE Jonah Ellis, thoughts? Analyst always rank him high round three to Mid round 2 but almost no one discusses him. His injury was never solidly identified but apparently he is not going to have an issue with it.
Kinchens is solid as I posted sometime ago, I would definitely consider him for cornerback. Nubin is really solid also.

Dorlus another favorite climbing up from 3rd to 2nd. A DT that shuts middle but also gets sacks.

Estime is amazing. I do not understand why no one is talking more about him. He is a load-bearing three down running back. I can see using our round 7s for offensive line depth.
You think he's a good fit for a ZBS

Any thoughts on why Chicago hasn't extended Jaylon Johnson? Young and good; I would offer him a great deal abd still offer Nelson $5-7 APY.

Geno Stone FS another exciting FA I would be all over.

I like DE Jonah Ellis, thoughts? Analyst always rank him high round three to Mid round 2 but almost no one discusses him. His injury was never solidly identified but apparently he is not going to have an issue with it.
Kinchens is solid as I posted sometime ago, I would definitely consider him for cornerback. Nubin is really solid also.

Dorlus another favorite climbing up from 3rd to 2nd. A DT that shuts middle but also gets sacks.
My guess is that CHI will sign or tag Johnson this offseason. I don’t see him hitting free agency otherwise I would go after him.

I like Ellis. Most analysts that I follow have mentioned that his arm length might be a problem. I know NC has really looked at measurables in the past, but not sure how much Ryans subscribes to that philosophy. It’ll be interesting to see where Ellis gets drafted though.

Any system. Until recently, I felt certain that Caserio would bring Singletary back. However, more and more people seem to be saying he is gone. I think that a Singletary type back would be a compliment to Estime. I don't want to pay Singletary what he would want to be a third down back.
What do you think his asking price will be?

Seriously, I don’t think Singletary is going to get a contract offer so out of line that the Texans couldn’t easily match it and keep him in Houston. Singletary would do himself a huge favor by playing another season in this offense where he’d have his best chance at remaining the feature back. Pierce will probably get moved in the off-season or be kept as featured ST return man and RB2 or RB3.

Seriously, I don’t think Singletary is going to get a contract offer so out of line that the Texans couldn’t easily match it and keep him in Houston. Singletary would do himself a huge favor by playing another season in this offense where he’d have his best chance at remaining the feature back. Pierce will probably get moved in the off-season or be kept as featured ST return man and RB2 or RB3.
What do you think we could get for Pierce? I was thinking maybe a 5th (maybe late 4th) since his rookie season was so good.

What do you think we could get for Pierce? I was thinking maybe a 5th (maybe late 4th) since his rookie season was so good.

I’d be happy with a RD5. Have a hard time expecting a better return since he lost his starting gig this season. I do believe the Texans could easily find a Pierce replacement in RD5 - RD7.

As with most running backs this year it will be very difficult to gauge. I think there will be teams that will pay him more than Houston. I think he would prefer to remain with Texans as will most of our free agent vets. How that will impact negotiation is beyond me. A negative for him but positive for Texans is the quality depth at his position in the next draft. I want to put our big free agency offers towards young established and successful players such as Corner Josh Allen.

Depending on his price, I would consider bringing Hop back. He’d be a great veteran to have in the room for the younger guys. He still had over a 1k yards this season with the Titans.

Hopefully Stroud wouldn't be chasing the hoes with him like Derrick was. On the field he would be a great fit.

Do not want, we just broke free of the culture that was here when Hopkins was down on Kirby.

T
Hopefully Stroud wouldn't be chasing the hoes with him like Derrick was. On the field he would be a great fit.

Do not want, we just broke free of the culture that was here when Hopkins was down on Kirby.
There were never any reports of Hopkins hanging with DW when he was doing his predatory activities.

I always thought Hopkins got shafted by OB and was a good team guy.

T

There were never any reports of Hopkins hanging with DW when he was doing his predatory activities.

I always thought Hopkins got shafted by OB and was a good team guy.
That's not what I've heard from back channels.

Either way, I'm glad Hopkins type selfish, not practicing, baby's mamma's coming to practice are no longer on the team.

Personally, I think DHop would be a great add and with this current organization and team, a solid teammate.

For one, he’s not going to cost big money and second, he’d be a massive mismatch in the Slot. Even he would have to see the great opportunity Stroud, Collins, and Dell represents.

Just another thought b/c of an article I read…..actually two articles. How would the off-season look if the Texans signed these three UFA’s from outside the organization:

1. DE- Josh Allen (JAX) / 5 YRS - 120M - 24M Annually (27 YRS Old)

2. WR- Mike Evans (TB) / 4 YRS - 96M - 24M Annually (31 YRS Old)

3. RB- Saquan Barkley (NYG) / 3 YRS - 30M - 10M Annually (26 YRS Old)

Front load the contracts to reduce the cap impact, and all three could be afforded. I’d trust Badboy to chime in on how he’d the structure the contracts to make them work.

This approach could really reduce the pressure on the team’s 2024 draft. The Texans still need to sign some of their top producing FA’s to solidify the roster. The draft could see the top priorities be…..RD’s 1-3; SS, CB, RT. RD4; DT & TE. RD7; RB, WR, DB.

Ryans would get a stud veteran DE for his defense and Slowick/Stroud would get a couple of strong producing veteran pieces for the offense.

Back