Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2024 Texans off season

Just another thought b/c of an article I read…..actually two articles. How would the off-season look if the Texans signed these three UFA’s from outside the organization:

1. DE- Josh Allen (JAX) / 5 YRS - 120M - 24M Annually (27 YRS Old)

2. WR- Mike Evans (TB) / 4 YRS - 96M - 24M Annually (31 YRS Old)

3. RB- Saquan Barkley (NYG) / 3 YRS - 30M - 10M Annually (26 YRS Old)

Front load the contracts to reduce the cap impact, and all three could be afforded. I’d trust Badboy to chime in on how he’d the structure the contracts to make them work.

This approach could really reduce the pressure on the team’s 2024 draft. The Texans still need to sign some of their top producing FA’s to solidify the roster. The draft could see the top priorities be…..RD’s 1-3; SS, CB, RT. RD4; DT & TE. RD7; RB, WR, DB.

Ryans would get a stud veteran DE for his defense and Slowick/Stroud would get a couple of strong producing veteran pieces for the offense.
I like all the guys you listed. I just don’t think JAX will let Allen go.

I think Evans would be amazing paired with Stroud, Collins, and Dell. We’d have a well rounded WR room.

Barkley would be a good addition. I’d draft another RB. I don’t know if I see Pierce as an option in our system even though I really like him.

I like all the guys you listed. I just don’t think JAX will let Allen go.

I think Evans would be amazing paired with Stroud, Collins, and Dell. We’d have a well rounded WR room.

Barkley would be a good addition. I’d draft another RB. I don’t know if I see Pierce as an option in our system even though I really like him.

JAX comes into 2024 with 17M in cap space. Also, Allen seems to be pretty disenchanted with JAX at the moment. If they try to tag him, it’s going to cost more than they may want to pay or could afford to pay for a season.

JAX comes into 2024 with 17M in cap space. Also, Allen seems to be pretty disenchanted with JAX at the moment. If they try to tag him, it’s going to cost more than they may want to pay or could afford to pay for a season.
I’ll be interested to see what they do with him. If they let him walk, then edge is still a need plus CB.

I'm thinking they cut Cam Robinson to free up another $17M and replace him in the draft.

Just to clarify, as I understand, the 17 million does not include draft pool except for the first round pick. You need to subtract another ~$4 m for the pool. Also you have to consider there will be practice squad cost which while not much will still impact that number.

Then you have Trevor Lawrence. This is his fourth season and most teams try to lock in their quarterback for their 5th Year and do an extension in year four. How will that be done? Not saying it can't but it does present a conundrum. Add to that is Lawrence's injuries that he would probably prefer to have a starting veteran tackle blocking for him. I would compare Robinson's knee injuries to Laremy Tunsil and the team preferring him to be out there.
I can see Jags tagging Allen only while they use up months until July to keep other teams from making a move on Allen. The team can withdraw the tag at any time.

I’ll be interested to see what they do with him. If they let him walk, then edge is still a need plus CB.
IMO, Allen would be used most of the time as on LOS rusher. Replace Greenard.

My plan is to sign him and Jones then f/up with Jaylon Johnson. If Bears we're going to extend him, the cornerback would already have a deal. As with Josh allen, Johnson is not happy with the way he has been dealt with. Add these three potential, annual pro bowlers and our defense would be probably top three.

If Latu falls outside the top 10 I would give up 1-23 and a 2025 1st for him.

You want a great defense? Draft Rd.1 Latu/ Rd.3Max Melton CB Rutgers/Payton Wilson LB NC St. Rd.4

Brandon Coleman OT TCU Rd.4

Sign Nelson Agholor in FA and draft RB Laube/ TE Zach Hein in the 6th and 7th Rd. after trading up.

Also add in FA the Chiefs FA Duo Edwards Helaire and McKinnon for 4 mil total.

This wouldn't help Stroud out much although Agholor would add the deep speed the WR corps the defense has been missing. But the defense would be awesome. Not saying I would do this, but I would do the Latu trade. Dude is very special.

Last edited:
If Latu falls outside the top 10 I would give up 1-23 and a 2025 1st for him.

You want a great defense? Draft Rd.1 Latu/ Rd.3Max Melton CB Rutgers/Payton Wilson LB NC St. Rd.4

Brandon Coleman OT TCU Rd.4

Sign Nelson Agholor in FA and draft RB Laube/ TE Zach Hein in the 6th and 7th Rd. after trading up.

Also add in FA the Chiefs FA Duo Edwards Helaire and McKinnon for 4 mil total.

This wouldn't help Stroud out much although Agholor would add the deep speed the WR corps the defense has been missing. But the defense would be awesome. Not saying I would do this, but I would do the Latu trade. Dude is very special.

No to Agholor.

A trade proposal for you draftniks to ponder...
Now that BB has exited NE, they may be more open to trades - see what you think of this one.
NE gets - #23 (760 points) + #128 (44)
Houston gets - #34 (560) + #68 (250)
Houston now has:-
#34, #59, #68, #86, #124 plus three 7ths.
Was:-
#23, #59, #86, #124, #128 plus three 7ths.
Houston benefits by a handful of points which is fair as NE has the extra year rookie deal for the 1st.
What think y'all?

Now that BB has exited NE, they may be more open to trades - see what you think of this one.
Houston benefits by a handful of points which is fair as NE has the extra year rookie deal for the 1st.
What think y'all?
Isn't that what @Lucky proposed in the other thread this morning?

Tried a draft where I focused on targets:

1707335458567.png

T’Vondre Sweat went at 57. Kris Jenkins was there for the taking….easy decision. Luke McCaffrey is no longer a RD6 or RD7 guy, he definitively a RD4 WR now. The 3 defensive players selected in RD7 wouldn’t be bad if all 3 were there for the taking.

Oladapo is a big downhill hitting enforcer that can cover the middle….don’t ask him to be a slot corner, just let him be the SS he is.

Kromah could easily move to DE. Very productive at James Madison and looks to have NFL size and strength now. Would be a nice rotation guy to work with Anderson and Josh Allen (My target signing).

Battle is a big CB who can play loose and cover with 4.4 speed. Former highly recruited Houston Cy Creek HS player who finished his CFB playing time with the Utes. Considered a strong part of their defense.

What think y'all?
To elaborate, Texans sign:-
Mike Evans WR
Either Saquan Barkley or Josh Jacobs RB
Stefon Gilmore CB
The meat of the draft could now look like this:-
#34 Jordan Morgan OT Ari
#59 Ja'Tavion Sanders TE TX
#68 Michael Hall Jr DL OS
#86 Jaden Hicks S Wash

What think y'all?
I would do this deal in a heartbeat.

I would be open to this trade as well if we could swing it!

2-34 Patrick Paul/ Cooper Dejohn/Troy Franklin/Nate Watson
2-59 Legette/Renardo Green/J. Sanders
3-68 Bucky Irving. Isaac/Dorlus/Stover/Hicks
3-86 Payton Wilson/Max Melton/Pearsall/Johnny Wilson
4- 124, Laube/Malik Washington/Cole Bishop

This is with adding a major FA like Jones, or Hunter and Al Shaair, Hunter Henry or Noah Fant.

Cut Schultz/Brown/Nelson

Let's get Kenyon healthy and see how much Scruggs improves after a full off-season with S&C.

I really hope the Texans don't have their OL penciled in, outside of Tunsil. Open competition would yield the best results. Also, not sure why most are thinking Howard would be suiting up this season based on his injury. Texans are going to need a RT in the worst way b/c Howard is questionable even when healthy and there isn't much else after him. The IOL has enough strong personnel to find three good starters in 2024.

I really hope the Texans don't have their OL penciled in, outside of Tunsil. Open competition would yield the best results. Also, not sure why most are thinking Howard would be suiting up this season based on his injury. Texans are going to need a RT in the worst way b/c Howard is questionable even when healthy and there isn't much else after him. The IOL has enough strong personnel to find three good starters in 2024.
Do we bring in another vet or draft a new guy to bring along?
I like the idea of a rookie to compete for a spot and add a bit of depth - a Tackle that can play guard preferably, but not necessarily in the first round.

Do we bring in another vet or draft a new guy to bring along?
I like the idea of a rookie to compete for a spot and add a bit of depth - a Tackle that can play guard preferably, but not necessarily in the first round.

I've been sold on RT- Tyler Guyton (Oklahoma) who could be the closet lineman to Trent Williams in this years draft. He's a dominant RT who possesses all the athleticism to make a move to LT should it ever be needed. It would be really tough to pass up on this type of OT in RD1.....oh, and from the sounds of it, his Senior Bowl effort has probably pushed him into RD1, hopefully not before 23. This guy is 6'-7" / 328 lbs / 34 1/4" Arm Length / 82 3/8" Wingspan / 10" Hands / Has all the measurables of an OT.

I've been sold on RT- Tyler Guyton (Oklahoma) who could be the closet lineman to Trent Williams in this years draft. He's a dominant RT who possesses all the athleticism to make a move to LT should it ever be needed. It would be really tough to pass up on this type of OT in RD1.....oh, and from the sounds of it, his Senior Bowl effort has probably pushed him into RD1, hopefully not before 23. This guy is 6'-7" / 328 lbs / 34 1/4" Arm Length / 82 3/8" Wingspan / 10" Hands / Has all the measurables of an OT.

Would not mind grabbing Guyton at 23. I see Howard’s contract as a sunk cost. Drafting Guyton lets you put Howard on PUP if he’s not 100% and then midseason when injuries inevitably pile up you have Howard as a high end swing OT while Guyton continues to improve/gain experience as a starter.

Or if Howard is healthy enough to start camp they can have themselves a good old fashioned competition for the starting RT job.

So the line statistically should be:-
LT Tunsil
LG Kendrick Green
C Patterson
RG Mason
RT Howard.
After that, the pickings are slim.
Scruggs should be given every opportunity at OC with Patterson competing with Kendrick and Kenyon for LG. I wish I knew that Paul from University of Houston would be available at around 2:00 because I would lock it in now for right tackle.

A good assessment of where we are, re the oline. Except it doesn't truly represent the situation at RT.

We currently do not have anyone signed to the roster at RT who can start. Period. Fant and Heck are free agents. Howard is on IR and unlikely to return before the start of next season. Jones is occasionally lumped into the conversation, but is a LT; and is also a free agent.

So...if we look at free agents, other than our own, who is available? I have two listed: Mike Onwenu (26 yrs old and expected to be in the range of $15M) and Jermaine Eluemunor (29 yrs old and expected to be in the range of $7M).

Onwenu would be an upgrade over Fant; and Eluemunor a slight upgrade. PFF grades: Fant, 61.7/68.4/51.9......Onwenu, 71.5/68.0/72.2.....Eluemunor, 68.5/64.4/71.5.....(overall offense/pass blocking/run blocking). Both carry significant run blocking grade improvement over Fant; and about the same in pass blocking.

If we look at RT prospects in the draft, there are are a multitude of Top 100 to look at. I'm looking at Drafttek's. Taliese Fuaga is currently projected at #12, JC Latham at #20, Amarius Mims at #23 and Tyler Guyton at #27. One, or several, of these should be available at the Texan's selection at number 23.

RT, in my opinion, is the most serious hole on our roster. We literally don't have anyone currently signed who can start by training camp.

I personally would like to see an upgrade over Fant. If we were to go the free agent route, I'd like to see the Texans go after Onwenu.

But my position right now is to use our first selection on RT. Depending on how the draft falls and who is available at 23, maybe trade down while staying in the first round (I want that 5th year option) and get another two or three.

Scruggs should be given every opportunity at OC with Patterson competing with Kendrick and Kenyon for LG. I wish I knew that Paul from University of Houston would be available at around 2:00 because I would lock it in now for right tackle.
I know we cannot kick sophomores to the kerb with out giving them a chance to prove themselves - I'm just saying that there are no good backups past the 5 I mentioned.
Plus, some of the ones in the 5 leave something to be desired.

Last edited:
A good assessment of where we are, re the oline. Except it doesn't truly represent the situation at RT.

We currently do not have anyone signed to the roster at RT who can start. Period. Fant and Heck are free agents. Howard is on IR and unlikely to return before the start of next season. Jones is occasionally lumped into the conversation, but is a LT; and is also a free agent.

So...if we look at free agents, other than our own, who is available? I have two listed: Mike Onwenu (26 yrs old and expected to be in the range of $15M) and Jermaine Eluemunor (29 yrs old and expected to be in the range of $7M).

Onwenu would be an upgrade over Fant; and Eluemunor a slight upgrade. PFF grades: Fant, 61.7/68.4/51.9......Onwenu, 71.5/68.0/72.2.....Eluemunor, 68.5/64.4/71.5.....(overall offense/pass blocking/run blocking). Both carry significant run blocking grade improvement over Fant; and about the same in pass blocking.

If we look at RT prospects in the draft, there are are a multitude of Top 100 to look at. I'm looking at Drafttek's. Taliese Fuaga is currently projected at #12, JC Latham at #20, Amarius Mims at #23 and Tyler Guyton at #27. One, or several, of these should be available at the Texan's selection at number 23.

RT, in my opinion, is the most serious hole on our roster. We literally don't have anyone currently signed who can start by training camp.

I personally would like to see an upgrade over Fant. If we were to go the free agent route, I'd like to see the Texans go after Onwenu.

But my position right now is to use our first selection on RT. Depending on how the draft falls and who is available at 23, maybe trade down while staying in the first round (I want that 5th year option) and get another two or three.
Trent Brown is a free agent and has a overall PFF above 80. He also started at left tackle in 2023 but has played right tackle very efficiently and recently. That would allow us to use 1.23 elsewhere. I am also hopeful that Paul from University of Houston will be there at round 2 and he would be hard to ignore.

Trent Brown is a free agent and has a overall PFF above 80. He also started at left tackle in 2023 but has played right tackle very efficiently and recently. That would allow us to use 1.23 elsewhere. I am also hopeful that Paul from University of Houston will be there at round 2 and he would be hard to ignore.
How do you feel about Tunsil? Brown is similar in that his pass blocking grades are pretty good (mid to high 70's) but his run blocking grades are only mediocre (mid to low 60's). But he should be affordable. I agree, because of his price, maybe a better choice than Onwenu.

Patrick Paul hasn't taken any snaps at the RT position in his 5 years at Houston. He's another player who grades well in pass blocking but his run blocking grades are in the mid 60's. Drafttek has him ranked at 50, so he could be there at 59.

How do you feel about Tunsil? Brown is similar in that his pass blocking grades are pretty good (mid to high 70's) but his run blocking grades are only mediocre (mid to low 60's). But he should be affordable. I agree, because of his price, maybe a better choice than Onwenu.

Patrick Paul hasn't taken any snaps at the RT position in his 5 years at Houston. He's another player who grades well in pass blocking but his run blocking grades are in the mid 60's. Drafttek has him ranked at 50, so he could be there at 59.
Only part of 2023 season but trying to find another link for all 2023 and I thought it was mid 70s run blocker.

Only part of 2023 season but trying to find another link for all 2023 and I thought it was mid 70s run blocker.
I agree that Brown had a good 2023 season. But he's been playing for 9 seasons. 2023 was his best, by far. His pass blocking grades have consistently been in the high 70's. But excepting the 2023 season, his run blocking grades have been in the mid to low 60's. I'd seriously have to look for the why his 2023 season was vastly better. The system? How would he fit in our system?

I agree that Brown had a good 2023 season. But he's been playing for 9 seasons. 2023 was his best, by far. His pass blocking grades have consistently been in the high 70's. But excepting the 2023 season, his run blocking grades have been in the mid to low 60's. I'd seriously have to look for the why his 2023 season was vastly better. The system? How would he fit in our system?
He is a Zone Gap blocker as I understand. 2024 is Tunsil 9th season.

Probowler going into a new three year extension at 30 YOA.
I don't see that replacement being a concern anytime soon.

You're fine with our line as it is?
Nope I never said I was. I have been talking about bringing in free agent Trent Brown or signing a right tackle such as Paul. But if we bring Brown in and most of us seem to think we have our offensive Center and left guard already on the roster, we cannot afford to sit a first round pick or a second round pick for the offensive line and let them be groomed, at least not this year. Who is going to be our cornerback to replace Steve Nelson if he goes elsewhere? Who is going to be our free safety? Who is going to replace Sheldon Rankins or Greenard or Singletary or Cashman?

Nope I never said I was. I have been talking about bringing in free agent Trent Brown or signing a right tackle such as Paul. But if we bring Brown in and most of us seem to think we have our offensive Center and left guard already on the roster, we cannot afford to sit a first round pick or a second round pick for the offensive line and let them be groomed, at least not this year. Who is going to be our cornerback to replace Steve Nelson if he goes elsewhere? Who is going to be our free safety? Who is going to replace Sheldon Rankins or Greenard or Singletary or Cashman?
Who said we are going to have him sit?
I am thinking he can play Right Tackle in the meantime.
A good one of those can be had in the second.

Oh I misunderstood you as grooming usually means in my opinion that they are sitting and learning and playing a few snaps here and there. Yes if we do not get a free agent right tackle, I am for using a high draft pick for the right guy. Unlike others, I do not think this is a deep draft for right tackles.

You know, it's been commented on several times, that the Texans have had ol issues for some time. I believe that part of this problem we've had is because of a belief that you can play players at multiple positions and get good results. I believe you get better results, get a better ol, when you draft and play players at a position they excel at. You draft a LT, a LG, a C, a RG, a RT and play them at those positions.

Sure, you can draft a LT, then groom him at RT for a couple of years. But will you be getting an acceptable quality of play?

Oh I misunderstood you as grooming usually means in my opinion that they are sitting and learning and playing a few snaps here and there. Yes if we do not get a free agent right tackle, I am for using a high draft pick for the right guy. Unlike others, I do not think this is a deep draft for right tackles.
Depends on where you expect to draft one. There are 4 RTs projected for the first round. That's pretty deep. How deeply the quality falls off in later rounds is not something I've looked at.

You know, it's been commented on several times, that the Texans have had ol issues for some time. I believe that part of this problem we've had is because of a belief that you can play players at multiple positions and get good results. I believe you get better results, get a better ol, when you draft and play players at a position they excel at. You draft a LT, a LG, a C, a RG, a RT and play them at those positions.

Sure, you can draft a LT, then groom him at RT for a couple of years. But will you be getting an acceptable quality of play?
Agree.
Bill O'Brien was the antithesis of this and it was frustrating to watch.

Depends on where you expect to draft one. There are 4 RTs projected for the first. That's pretty deep. How deeply the quality falls off in later rounds is not something I've looked at.
if we can't get one it's not deep enough.

Back