Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2024 Texans off season

I don't follow
When they drafted Stroud they chose to partner with Vidad mofr het gehott (Word Scramble is fun) so now might as well try to get as many of his clients as possible. You've got 3-5 yrs to win a championship. Should be interesting.

When they drafted Stroud they chose to partner with Vidad mofr het gehott (Word Scramble is fun) so now might as well try to get as many of his clients as possible. You've got 3-5 yrs to win a championship. Should be interesting.
Yeah, but the Clemson trash thing?

Yeah, but the Clemson trash thing?
He's proven to be a solid guy so far in his career. I wouldn't draft more than one Clemson player on my team and if I signed Wilkins in FA I would do a thorough background search. If I had to pick a current Clemson player that I would want on the Texans it would be Shipley.

He's proven to be a solid guy so far in his career. I wouldn't draft more than one Clemson player on my team and if I signed Wilkins in FA I would do a thorough background search. If I had to pick a current Clemson player that I would want on the Texans it would be Shipley.

Why aren’t you a Ruke fan?

Why aren’t you a Ruke fan?
Clemson trash

I would never spend a high draft pick on a guy from Clemson. This is the reason I don't want Wiggins. I would pick Ruke or Shipley in the 4rh. Too many Dodds and Farrell's come out of Clemson.

Give me Chop at 1-23 if Thomas is gone and Fiske at 2-59 along with signing Wilkins and that is a rebuilt young talented DL that will be dominant for the next 4 years. It would be awesome if Latu- fell to 1-23 but I don't see that happening.

Last edited:
Clemson trash

I would never spend a high draft pick on a guy from Clemson. This is the reason I don't want Wiggins. I would pick Ruke or Shipley in the 4rh. Too many Dodds and Farrell's come out of Clemson.

Give me Chop at 1-23 if Thomas is gone and Fiske at 2-59 along with signing Wilkins and that is a rebuilt young talented DL that will be dominant for the next 4 years. It would be awesome if Latu- fell to 1-23 but I don't see that happening.
DJ Reader went to Clemson and has been one of our best iDL in Texans history. I’d evaluate the player and not the helmet. Ruke has day 2 talent that I would consider.

DJ Reader went to Clemson and has been one of our best iDL in Texans history. I’d evaluate the player and not the helmet. Ruke has day 2 talent that I would consider.
He was a late rd pick and I would've picked him after the 4th rd. Would I miss on some guys with this philosophy? Yes. Would I save myself from having to deal with a bunch of underachieving arrogant a-holes? Yes I would. Going down the Clemson - South Carolina path is the wrong path. Hopefully the Texans learned from the last one they went down this path. If they didn't history is most likely going to repeat itself.

Clowney, Swearinger, Bennett.

Derrick, Hopkins, Watkins

Etc....

-There’s interest from Barkley’s side about possiblyteaming up with the Texans. A source close to Barkley said it’s up to Houston. So I wouldn’t be surprised if the Texans at the least explore it. I know some within the Texans like the idea. The issue is money, though.Barkley wants to be paid, and his market might not be there for him, especially with the influx of running backs in free agency. Swift is also an interesting name. He won’t cost as much but would be an upgrade. But the Texans are also open to bringing Singletary back if things don’t work out there.

-I don’t at all envision the Texans going after one of the top tier wide receivers and paying a whole bunch of money on one. But I do expect them to go after a quality No. 3 wide receiver, or someone looking to prove themselves. DeMeco Ryans said he’s looking for a receiver who is a separator. If they don’t find one in free agency, then the draft is deep with receivers. In the meantime, Samuel fits the mold of what the Texans are looking for. A quality receiver on third-down, a separator and a guy who can do multiple things. Bringing back Brown is a logical option, too.

-A league source told the Chronicle that the Texans were aiming big at defensive tackle. Another source said Wilkins, who previously played for the Dolphins, will likely be interested in the Texans. But he’ll command top dollar, with some around the league projecting him around $22 million per year. Still, he’s young, durable and can get to the quarterback and would fit well beside Will Anderson Jr.

-A source with knowledge of the discussions said the Texans have made offers to Cashman, but they haven’t gotten close to a number they can agree on. Cashman would likely take less to remain in Houston. Al-Shaair makes a lot of sense as a replacement if the Texans don’t re-sign Cashman. He played for DeMeco Ryans in San Francisco, when Ryans was a defensive coordinator. Ryans wanted him in Houston last offseason, before Al-Shaair left to Tennessee in free agency. The inside linebacker had 163 tackles with the Titans and had some experience playing Mike. Perryman is likely to go to another team.

-The Texans are more likely to go young and draft a corner in the first three rounds. This draft is deep with cornerbacks and I could see one being a Day 1 starter opposite of Stingley.

-This free-agent class is deep with safeties. That’s good news for the Texans if they want to dip into it. It’s about supply and demand, and the supply is plentiful, which means the price for the top safeties won’t be so high. Chinn is a solid young piece who could play strong nickel and safety.

-A source told the Chronicle that the Texans were at the combine looking at rookie punters. Johnston, who was second in the NFL in punts down inside the 20 in 2023, doesn’t appear likely to return. The Texans could go with a short-term option if they don’t find the right rookie punter.

The Falcons are shopping Ridder around the league. He'd be an upgrade from Mills as a backup to CJ and brings a lot more athletism.

I wonder if Mills and one of those 7th rounders would be enough to entice the Falcons. Probably not...but I'd at least kick the tires on that trade.

The Falcons are shopping Ridder around the league. He'd be an upgrade from Mills as a backup to CJ and brings a lot more athletism.

I wonder if Mills and one of those 7th rounders would be enough to entice the Falcons. Probably not...but I'd at least kick the tires on that trade.

The Cardinals got him.

The news that Keenan Allen was in the crosshairs has me thinking… Aaron Wilson said they are looking for a specific role and other WRs they’ve been linked to don’t fill that role.

I look at the Texans offense as it is currently constructed and am trying to fill in the missing pieces:

The Texans ran 63.71 plays/game this season. 14th in the league so middle of the pack. They run the Slowik version of the Kubshanistan (Seth Payne dubbed) offense. They aren’t going to go up tempo if they don’t have to, they want to establish the run.

CJ averaged roughly 33 attempts/game last season. Lets say the play count stays the same so that means 30-31 rush attempts. I think we can earmark Mixon for 15-18 rushes/ game and whoever ends up RB2 along with WR jet sweeps get the rest of the rushing output.

Passing the ball, the Texans already have established targets in Nico, Tank, Schultz and also Mixon. I am not counting Noah Brown because I consider him Nico insurance, if he plays it’s because Nico is hurt beyond random 1-3 targets/game.

Nico got 109 targets in 15 regular season games. He went over 10 targets in 3 games and 1 target injured against Jets. I am slotting him in between 7-8 targets/game lets call it 7.5.

Tank got 75 targets in 10 games (0 in Denver when injured early game 11). He went 10+ targets in 4 games. Assume he gets around the same 7.5 targets/game.

Mr. consistent Schultz is at 88 targets in 15 games, went over 10 targets in 3 games. I’d assume he’s getting 5-6 targets/game lets give him 5.5.

Mixon is the other known quantity and imo 4-5 option in passing game right now. I expect him to be an 18-20 touch/game player. Assuming 15-18 rushes/game i’d assume he’s gonna get 3-4 targets/game let give him 3.5.

Robert Woods got 75 targets in 14 games last season with the Texans. Good for 5.35/game. He had 1 game over 10 targets (10 in game 1) and 3 games over 50 yards receiving. He did not do much with his targets but he did have a defined role as the underneath security blanket. I am giving that role 5 targets to keep the number round. I know, it surprised me too… but Woods was on the field 70% of snaps in his games played last year!

Our top 5 targets should average 29 of CJ’s 33 attempts/game. That’s 4 left over to give to the backup players or for the pass catcher that has a matchup to exploit.

Where did Keenan Allen fit in? I expect that was to take on Robert Woods’ role in the offense as an upgraded version. Maybe they want to up CJ’s attempts? Maybe they want to take some targets away from other established targets? There is no doubt that Allen knows how to get open and he would’ve probably led the team in targets this season.

I think they want to replace Woods’ role with someone who has more upside in this offense, but they aren’t just going to release him until they find that guy. They stated that they want a separator. We saw last season Woods can no longer provide that aside from vet savvy get open just long enough to immediately get tackled on a short route. How high of a need do you see that being in the draft and who do you see as the target?

Realistically, I don’t see a WR past day 3 taking snaps from Woods. I do think Mcconkey, Wilson, Pearsall and Corley could do that and provide more upside. But I think they are round 2 guys.

Last edited:
As an add on, I consider guys like Brown/Metchie/Hutchinson/Sims as the reserves. Brown is the most sure bet to make the team based on contract and being the Nico insurance. But only so much ball to go around so I’m only earmarking targets to the top 5 weapons. If a rookie or vet addition is added they will have to be good enough to unseat Woods from his target share. I don’t see Metchie/Hutch/Sims able to do that.

These guys get the leftover 4 or so targets/game. Along with backup TE/RB/Beck poaching.

I see Mixon with 20-24 touches on average. I also think the pie isn’t static. In other words, a better defense might yield a handful more offensive plays, but all in all…I agree with your analysis. It’s just hard to put last year into this year. Things will change. They always do. I do agree with Allen would be a very souped up Woods in this offense. Someone like Diggs is a different guy. He’s the one guy we don’t have - the game changer with deep speed. He would open up the underneath stuff, and make it hard to double Nico. Not to mention Tank.

I see Mixon with 20-24 touches on average. I also think the pie isn’t static. In other words, a better defense might yield a handful more offensive plays, but all in all…I agree with your analysis. It’s just hard to put last year into this year. Things will change. They always do. I do agree with Allen would be a very souped up Woods in this offense. Someone like Diggs is a different guy. He’s the one guy we don’t have - the game changer with deep speed. He would open up the underneath stuff, and make it hard to double Nico. Not to mention Tank.
This draft has numerous guys at receiver that should be difference makers even as rookies.
It only takes one big play each game to make defenses wary and if you have a great QB dishing the ball out, even more so.
The accurate QB is the real difference maker.
The other side of this is you gotta get him that time to do so.

Last edited:
The news that Keenan Allen was in the crosshairs has me thinking… Aaron Wilson said they are looking for a specific role and other WRs they’ve been linked to don’t fill that role.

I look at the Texans offense as it is currently constructed and am trying to fill in the missing pieces:

The Texans ran 63.71 plays/game this season. 14th in the league so middle of the pack. They run the Slowik version of the Kubshanistan (Seth Payne dubbed) offense. They aren’t going to go up tempo if they don’t have to, they want to establish the run.

CJ averaged roughly 33 attempts/game last season. Lets say the play count stays the same so that means 30-31 rush attempts. I think we can earmark Mixon for 15-18 rushes/ game and whoever ends up RB2 along with WR jet sweeps get the rest of the rushing output.

Passing the ball, the Texans already have established targets in Nico, Tank, Schultz and also Mixon. I am not counting Noah Brown because I consider him Nico insurance, if he plays it’s because Nico is hurt beyond random 1-3 targets/game.

Nico got 109 targets in 15 regular season games. He went over 10 targets in 3 games and 1 target injured against Jets. I am slotting him in between 7-8 targets/game lets call it 7.5.

Tank got 75 targets in 10 games (0 in Denver when injured early game 11). He went 10+ targets in 4 games. Assume he gets around the same 7.5 targets/game.

Mr. consistent Schultz is at 88 targets in 15 games, went over 10 targets in 3 games. I’d assume he’s getting 5-6 targets/game lets give him 5.5.

Mixon is the other known quantity and imo 4-5 option in passing game right now. I expect him to be an 18-20 touch/game player. Assuming 15-18 rushes/game i’d assume he’s gonna get 3-4 targets/game let give him 3.5.

Robert Woods got 75 targets in 14 games last season with the Texans. Good for 5.35/game. He had 1 game over 10 targets (10 in game 1) and 3 games over 50 yards receiving. He did not do much with his targets but he did have a defined role as the underneath security blanket. I am giving that role 5 targets to keep the number round. I know, it surprised me too… but Woods was on the field 70% of snaps in his games played last year!

Our top 5 targets should average 29 of CJ’s 33 attempts/game. That’s 4 left over to give to the backup players or for the pass catcher that has a matchup to exploit.

Where did Keenan Allen fit in? I expect that was to take on Robert Woods’ role in the offense as an upgraded version. Maybe they want to up CJ’s attempts? Maybe they want to take some targets away from other established targets? There is no doubt that Allen knows how to get open and he would’ve probably led the team in targets this season.

I think they want to replace Woods’ role with someone who has more upside in this offense, but they aren’t just going to release him until they find that guy. They stated that they want a separator. We saw last season Woods can no longer provide that aside from vet savvy get open just long enough to immediately get tackled on a short route. How high of a need do you see that being in the draft and who do you see as the target?

Realistically, I don’t see a WR past day 3 taking snaps from Woods. I do think Mcconkey, Wilson, Pearsall and Corley could do that and provide more upside. But I think they are round 2 guys.
Lot's of typing here.

Malik Washington would fit the bill. I also think Whittington could do as as well but probably not to the same extent as Washington.

This draft has numerous guys at receiver that should be difference makers even as rookies.
It only takes one big play each game to make defenses wary and if you have a great QB dishing the ball out, even more so.
Without Tank the other WR's struggled to get separation.Allen is one of the best at this. So is Diggs.

Mixon was 4th in the league with 309 total touches last year. That averaged 18.18 per game (rounded to nearest hundredth).

His career high was 334 in 16 games (20.88 rounded to nearest hundredth).

I could see him getting up to a 20 average but 24 is 408 touches… don’t see that happening.

Lot's of typing here.

Malik Washington would fit the bill. I also think Whittington could do as as well but probably not to the same extent as Washington.

Lots of data needed to make my point. I don’t see those guys taking snaps from Woods next season. Metchie has a shot if he is able to be 100% healthy all offseason, but i’d make Woods the favorite.

Lots of data needed to make my point. I don’t see those guys taking snaps from Woods next season. Metchie has a shot if he is able to be 100% healthy all offseason, but i’d make Woods the favorite.
Depends on who they draft

Woods can't get separation any longer.

I do not want another receiver just to take Robert Wood's place. I want a dynamic field stretcher that can put touchdowns on the board and be considered one of top two on our team. For me, that was going to be Brian Thomas.

I also prefer Mixon not getting that many run plays but if he got 18 to 20 combined a game that would ok.
Also I do not want an even split passing / running back game. 70-30 ~.

As an add on, I consider guys like Brown/Metchie/Hutchinson/Sims as the reserves. Brown is the most sure bet to make the team based on contract and being the Nico insurance. But only so much ball to go around so I’m only earmarking targets to the top 5 weapons. If a rookie or vet addition is added they will have to be good enough to unseat Woods from his target share. I don’t see Metchie/Hutch/Sims able to do that.

These guys get the leftover 4 or so targets/game. Along with backup TE/RB/Beck poaching.
Hopefully Hutchinson takes a huge leap forward in his sophomore year.

Don't overlook Jermaine Burton long speed. I have a link somewhere that I think he was clocked at close to 24 mph. Just a threat of that should open up the other wide receivers especially in the middle. Plus Burton can probably be had in round 4.

Edit maybe even more importantly, he is an Alabama guy. LOL

Don't overlook Jermaine Burton long speed. I have a link somewhere that I think he was clocked at close to 24 mph. Just a threat of that should open up the other wide receivers especially in the middle. Plus Burton can probably be had in round 4.

Edit maybe even more importantly, he is an Alabama guy. LOL
From what I have read of him, he has some attitude issues so if true, he won't be in a Texans uni.
I really like Pearsall - also fast and runs crisp routes - and no known character issues.

From what I have read of him, he has some attitude issues so if true, he won't be in a Texans uni.
I really like Pearsall - also fast and runs crisp routes - and no known character issues.
🤔 don't recall anything about attitude. if you can find a link please post it, thanks! yeah , we don't need any attitude guys.

I do not want another receiver just to take Robert Wood's place. I want a dynamic field stretcher that can put touchdowns on the board and be considered one of top two on our team. For me, that was going to be Brian Thomas.

I also prefer Mixon not getting that many run plays but if he got 18 to 20 combined a game that would ok.
Also I do not want an even split passing / running back game. 70-30 ~.

You can want all you want but Kubshanistan systems aren’t gonna be 70-30 passing ;)

🤔 don't recall anything about attitude. if you can find a link please post it, thanks! yeah , we don't need any attitude guys.
From nfldraftbuzz com -
  • Shows too many low-effort plays, especially as a decoy or when he's not the primary option, needs to amp up intensity across all snaps.
  • Temperament on the field is a red flag. Burton's shown volatile tendencies with taunting and needs to keep his cool under pressure and most importantly just grow up.
Burton's draft prospects are somewhat uncertain. His performance during pre-draft interviews will be crucial, as teams will scrutinize not just his on-field abilities, but also his consistency and effort. The talent is visible on tape, yet it's the intangibles and his response to questions about his attitude and past on-field incidents, particularly the outburst after the 2022 Tennessee game, that will heavily influence his draft valuation.

There’s a video of him somewhere punching a fan of another school after a loss.
He’s not someone I’d want on the Texans.
Has he had other missteps.

I would be very happy with a draft of

Fiske or Sweat
P. Wilson
Melton or Stiggers
Burton
Reihman
McClellan

Has he had other missteps.

I would be very happy with a draft of

Fiske or Sweat
P. Wilson
Melton or Stiggers
Burton
Reihman
McClellan

I just don’t see them getting a LB before day 3 and Wilson is going to go earlier. They were only willing to go to 10 million for Queen and they paid 11.5 for Al-Shaiir which tells me how badly they wanted him. Obviously paid more for him than Cashman as well.

I think LBs are set with Al-Shaiir and Harris as the two main. To’oTo’o third LB up, they could add someone closer to camp as competition like they did with Singleton/Perryman. But I think if they add LB it’ll be for depth/ST development.

Those early picks, I expect DL, secondary and skill position to be addressed.

I just don’t see them getting a LB before day 3 and Wilson is going to go earlier. They were only willing to go to 10 million for Queen and they paid 11.5 for Al-Shaiir which tells me how badly they wanted him. Obviously paid more for him than Cashman as well.

I think LBs are set with Al-Shaiir and Harris as the two main. To’oTo’o third LB up, they could add someone closer to camp as competition like they did with Singleton/Perryman. But I think if they add LB it’ll be for depth/ST development.

Agreed,

I hope they draft BPA over need. If they do this Wilson should be the pick.

I could see Caserio doing what you're saying and picking a guy like Nate Watson at 4-123. He would be a great pick there also.

I really like the LB out of Washington, Ulofoshio, as a day 3 prospect.

7 round mock from PFN:

34) Houston Texans (via NE): Johnny Newton, DT, Illinois
Trade: Texans receive No. 34 pick; Patriots receive No. 42 pick, 2025 fourth-round pick, RB Dameon Pierce.

Close your eyes and imagine a defensive line with Will Anderson Jr., Danielle Hunter, Denico Autry, and Folorunso Fatukasi serving as the foil at nose tackle. Now add the hyper-flexible 3-tech Johnny Newton and open your eyes. In this 2024 NFL Mock Draft, it’s a reality.

59) Houston Texans: Kiran Amegadjie, OL, Yale
Whether they need him at tackle or guard, Kiran Amegadjie has the explosive athleticism and competitive edge at 6’5″, 320 pounds, to be a high-level starter for the Texans.

86) Houston Texans: Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas A&M
Losing Blake Cashman, the Texans need to dip into the 2024 LB class. Edgerrin Cooper has the range, length, and dynamism to buoy an incredibly high ceiling with DeMeco Ryans.

123) Houston Texans
Kris Abrams-Draine, CB, Missouri

127) Houston Texans
Brenden Rice, WR, USC

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/ian-cummings-7-round-2024-nfl-mock-draft-march-16/

Agreed,

I hope they draft BPA over need. If they do this Wilson should be the pick.

I could see Caserio doing what you're saying and picking a guy like Nate Watson at 4-123. He would be a great pick there also.

The only concern I have on Wilson is his (2) previous ACL injuries.

Back