Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2024 Texans off season

As much as I am against adding older RBs, I wouldn’t mind signing Derrick Henry to a 1 year contract. In an off year with a patchwork OL he still finished 2nd in the league in rushing and showed at the end of this season he can still take over a game.

I feel like that RB who can take over a game is the biggest missing ingredient for this team. The Texans are insistent on running the ball. Get the workhorse to make that happen. Then this offense will break franchise records.

As much as I am against adding older RBs, I wouldn’t mind signing Derrick Henry to a 1 year contract. In an off year with a patchwork OL he still finished 2nd in the league in rushing and showed at the end of this season he can still take over a game.

I feel like that RB who can take over a game is the biggest missing ingredient for this team. The Texans are insistent on running the ball. Get the workhorse to make that happen. Then this offense will break franchise records.
I don't think he will accept a one-year contract but I could be wrong.

You want a workhorse back?
How about 6'2" 240lb Braelon Allen?
Big thumper with a surprising turn of speed - runs a 4.40 40 and would be on a rookie deal.
Could very likely be on the board close to where we pick in the 3rd. A small move up could snag him.
I would not hate that and was high on him early season but kind of backed off. I just don't want to spend a round three on a running back but I would do that with no trade-ups for Corum. Dude is a playmaker and knows how to find the end zone. One if by air and 27 if by sea ... er land is a touchdown machine. If free agency goes the way I want to with bringing in Chris Jones and linebacker Josh Allen, I would be cool with drafting offense first three rounds. I am thinking and probably more like hoping that several of the teams that are in some mock drafts taking WRs, will go with other positions. For example, Washington and Tennessee are taking Odunze and Nabers and that may not happen.

Odunze and either Franklin or Thomas round 2 with Corum 3 would be possible but more like miracle.

On a different bunny trail, what happens if Steven Nelson gets an offer to go to another team that is higher than what we pay?

I would not hate that and was high on him early season but kind of backed off. I just don't want to spend a round three on a running back but I would do that with no trade-ups for Corum. Dude is a playmaker and knows how to find the end zone. One if by air and 27 if by sea ... er land is a touchdown machine. If free agency goes the way I want to with bringing in Chris Jones and linebacker Josh Allen, I would be cool with drafting offense first three rounds. I am thinking and probably more like hoping that several of the teams that are in some mock drafts taking WRs, will go with other positions. For example, Washington and Tennessee are taking Odunze and Nabers and that may not happen.

Odunze and either Franklin or Thomas round 2 with Corum 3 would be possible but more like miracle.

On a different bunny trail, what happens if Steven Nelson gets an offer to go to another team that is higher than what we pay?
Then I could see Texans taking Terrion Arnold - the skill positions are valuable on rookie deals.
We may find ourselves in the happy position of players wanting to stay with DR and CJ - most would see this team as a promising proposition now.

I really like the idea of signing FA’s Chris Jones and LB, Josh Allen. Re-Sign defensive free agents…..except Rankins and Perryman.

My focus for the first three picks:
RD1- WR Xavier Leggett (South Carolina) He should be there for the taking. His size and speed paired with Collins and Dell would be dangerous.
RD2- OT Tyler Guyton (Oklahoma) My kind of OT, can pass block and run blocks with a real successful mean streak.
RD3- TE Cade Stover (Ohio State) Give Stroud a familiar weapon to pair with Schultz.

My RB focus:
RD4- RB Jaylen Wright (Tennessee) 5-10 @ 210 lbs of 4.31 cut and go speed.

I believe this group for the offense would give Stroud the additional weapons and protection he’d most desire.

Last edited:
Then I could see Texans taking Terrion Arnold - the skill positions are valuable on rookie deals.
We may find ourselves in the happy position of players wanting to stay with DR and CJ - most would see this team as a promising proposition now.
Two or three weeks before season ended, I saw an Alabama source stating he thought Arnold was better than McKinstry. I agree with that. The Toledo corner also is appealing.

Two or three weeks before season ended, I saw an Alabama source stating he thought Arnold was better than McKinstry. I agree with that. The Toledo corner also is appealing.
Quinyon Mitchell looks pretty good to me.

I would like for Beerlover to weigh in on this yrs CB class. I also like Nubin in the 2nd the S position is a major weakness on the defense. Gotta find somebody that can play 2 high or single high, but still be able to handle a TE when needed.

I wouldn’t mind keeping Derek Barnett if he’s willing to sign back with us. He’s been an excellent waiver pickup.

What do you think he’d cost? I’d give him a 1-2 year deal and see if he can improve on his performance to earn bigger money.

I wouldn’t mind keeping Derek Barnett if he’s willing to sign back with us. He’s been an excellent waiver pickup.

What do you think he’d cost? I’d give him a 1-2 year deal and see if he can improve on his performance to earn bigger money.
He should be a priority to keep, along with Cashman and depending on the price Nelson. Also put Rankins in the same category as Nelson.

I really like the idea of signing FA’s Chris Jones and LB, Josh Allen. Re-Sign defensive free agents…..except Rankins and Perryman.

My focus for the first three picks:
RD1- WR Xavier Leggett (South Carolina) He should be there for the taking. His size and speed paired with Collins and Dell would be dangerous.
RD2- OT Tyler Guyton (Oklahoma) My kind of OT, can pass block and run blocks with a real successful mean streak.
RD3- TE Cade Stover (Ohio State) Give Stroud a familiar weapon to pair with Schultz.

My RB focus:
RD4- RB Jaylen Wright (Tennessee) 5-10 @ 210 lbs of 4.31 cut and go speed.

I believe this group for the offense would give Stroud the additional weapons and protection he’d most desire.
Agree on Mitche
I think they’d be asking a lot more than their round 3.
Well of course they are? They gave up a round one around 18 if I recall and Pick 4 101. I personally would give our first and a fourth for him but you don't start negotiating high, you negotiate from low and then move up.
Four of Five Seasons had better than a thousand yards and the last two of those banging at 1500 yards each. I think we can get him for much less than that.

I am leaning towards him over Jonathan greenard and could get Barnett for less in my opinion.

Chris Jones, Geno Smith, draft and AJB.

😃
Who is the safety you're referring to? Also I'm not sure on AJB, he's immensely talented but are there signs of a malcontent? I mean the only reason to mention him must be based on the latest rumblings about his attitude, is there anything related to this while he was a Titan? If so, I'd pass.

Last edited:
Who is the safety you're referring to? Also I'm not sure on AJB, he's immensely talented but are there signs of a malcontent? I mean the only reason to mention him must be based on the latest rumblings about his attitude, is their anything related to this while he was a Titan? If so, I'd pass.

Getting AJ Brown would cost dearly in picks and money. Getting a veteran WR like Mike Evans would only be a bidding war and where Mike would desire to finish his career.

Nico Collins is proving to be quite adept at WR1. He’s beginning to remind me of AJ and with a solid WR2 or WR3…..his ascension would be complete. I’m looking at WR, Brevin Rice (USC) to be the missing piece. Maybe a massive mismatch in the making from the SWR position.

Getting AJ Brown would cost dearly in picks and money. Getting a veteran WR like Mike Evans would only be a bidding war and where Mike would desire to finish his career.

Nico Collins is proving to be quite adept at WR1. He’s beginning to remind me of AJ and with a solid WR2 or WR3…..his ascension would be complete. I’m looking at WR, Brevin Rice (USC) to be the missing piece. Maybe a massive mismatch in the making from the SWR position.

Is Tank Dell a solid WR2? Or is he WR1?

Quinyon Mitchell looks pretty good to me.

I would like for Beerlover to weigh in on this yrs CB class. I also like Nubin in the 2nd the S position is a major weakness on the defense. Gotta find somebody that can play 2 high or single high, but still be able to handle a TE when needed.
In regard to the S position. I’d prefer Kinchens over Nubin . Kitchens is more athletic, and has more experience playing as a single high safety (which the Texans do far more often than I thought they did).

Last edited:
In regard to the S position. I’d prefer Kinchens over Nubian. Kitchens is more athletic, and has more expensive playing as a single high safety (which the Texans do far more often than I thought they did).
I haven't seen much of Kinchens.

In regard to the S position. I’d prefer Kinchens over Nubian. Kitchens is more athletic, and has more expensive playing as a single high safety (which the Texans do far more often than I thought they did).
Yes and that was my point in earlier post about Kinchens. He has the body type and skill set with fluidity that he can use as a outside corner. Great size. I would be happy with either one of those players.

After Nelson had his fifth interception versus the Browns, I think we can lower priorities for a cornerback in the draft. I am telling you however that if Terrion Arnold is there at our round one, I think I'm going to get him. I read a mock yesterday by Kiper and he had Arnold going top five over McKinstry.

After Nelson had his fifth interception versus the Browns, I think we can lower priorities for a cornerback in the draft. I am telling you however that if Terrion Arnold is there at our round one, I think I'm going to get him. I read a mock yesterday by Kiper and he had Arnold going top five over McKinstry.
Nelson made $6.5M this year. I'd offer Nelson a 3yr $30M deal with $17.5M guaranteed. Structured creatively to be cap friendly so the first 2yrs would be guaranteed salary and whatever the signing bonus would be. Let him go after year 2.

Dell would be my WR2. Rice is supposedly a legit 4.38-40 man at 6-3 210 lbs and wrangled in 12 TD’s this past season.
That is about numbers I was thinking but that is a Brad Roby type deal. Steven Nelson's stats are explosive compared to that. If I was Nelson's agent I would be demanding a Philadelphia Eagle
Darius Slay contract. 3 years 42 M over $24 m GTD. I mentioned this comparison several weeks ago in my offseason thread iirc. This is going to be Steven's last shot and what a year to have as your contract year. Yes maybe some of that can be lowered playing with Ryans, Super Bowl ring opportunity, team loyalty and camaraderie, Etc

That is about numbers I was thinking but that is a Brad Roby type deal. Steven Nelson's stats are explosive compared to that. If I was Nelson's agent I would be demanding a Philadelphia Eagle
Darius Slay contract. 3 years 42 M over $24 m GTD. I mentioned this comparison several weeks ago in my offseason thread iirc. This is going to be Steven's last shot and what a year to have as your contract year. Yes maybe some of that can be lowered playing with Ryans, Super Bowl ring opportunity, team loyalty and camaraderie, Etc

Darius Slay is a much better CB than Nelson. I'm thinking Nelson should be offered a lil less than James Bradberry's current deal.

Who is the safety you're referring to? Also I'm not sure on AJB, he's immensely talented but are there signs of a malcontent? I mean the only reason to mention him must be based on the latest rumblings about his attitude, is there anything related to this while he was a Titan? If so, I'd pass.
I meant to type Geno Stone but had Geno Smith the quarterback in my fingers. Corrected it and thank you.

Smith a pure FS check his stats.

Concerning AJ Brown, my thoughts based on my research of him: he only complains when he is not getting the ball. ~1500 yards last 2 seasons so...
Hard to argue.
Like Watt, Brown is Alpha player. He does not cry if the other wide receivers are getting theirs, however he will not put up with lackadaisical effort. I am all over that. Turns 27 in June.

I would be very happy to get Cooper DeJohn CB/S Iowa at 1-21. I'm not sure I would pick him over one of the top 6 WR's.

Agreed about Nelson.

I'm thinking bringing back the Texans FA's and drafting a WR/RB/S in rds 1 through 3.

I would be very happy to get Cooper DeJohn CB/S Iowa at 1-21. I'm not sure I would pick him over one of the top 6 WR's.

Agreed about Nelson.

I'm thinking bringing back the Texans FA's and drafting a WR/RB/S in rds 1 through 3.
This S class is pretty thin outside of the top 3 guys. Rod Moore was a guy I liked, but he decided to return to Michigan for his senior season. If we don’t get DeJean, Kitchens, or Nubin, we might just have to address it another time. Unless some guys pop at the Shrine or Senior Bowls, it might be hard to draft a guy.

This S class is pretty thin outside of the top 3 guys. Rod Moore was a guy I liked, but he decided to return to Michigan for his senior season. If we don’t get DeJean, Kitchens, or Nubin, we might just have to address it another time. Unless some guys pop at the Shrine or Senior Bowls, it might be hard to draft a guy.
I like Bishop a lot too.

You think Mike Evans is going to cost less than $1 million in 2024 and 15 million in 2025?

Evans 31 and Brown 27 this summer.
Eagles gave a 1.18 and a round four for Brown and I would gladly give up our first and highest fourth for him. Show me one wide receiver that will be available at our round one pick that could even come close to Brown in 2024.

Last edited:
Dell would be my WR2. Rice is supposedly a legit 4.38-40 man at 6-3 210 lbs and wrangled in 12 TD’s this past season.
I agree but let's not forget that in the draft the player may not even be there when we go to draft him. Signing a free agent he's yours and allows you to use your draft pick elsewhere.

Bradbury? Based upon what? He had one interception compared to five with Nelson.
I'm looking at things based on the time the contract is signed for comparison (performance, their perceived market value, age, etc). Who do you think would be more sought after, Bradberry at the time he was available vs Nelson today. Of course contracts rise each year but I think putting Nelson's overall average per year between $8.5M to $9M for 2 years is fair for a 31yr old opportunistic cornerback who has played okay.

Tankathon.com has us taking the cornerback Terrion Arnold at 23. Both Leggett and Polk available at our round two pick.

Me: Rd1 Arnold
Rd2 Ja'lynn Polk all positions
Rd 3 Burton Alabama pure speed estimate 4.31 an X outside to replace Noah.
Has John Metchie done enough to be counted on in 2024? His APC at just under 10 was a concern but his last game versus Cleveland was it 14.5. His pedal injury concerns me but his contract definitely says he will be on the roster.

I'm looking at things based on the time the contract is signed for comparison (performance, their perceived market value, age, etc). Who do you think would be more sought after, Bradberry at the time he was available vs Nelson today. Of course contracts rise each year but I think putting Nelson's overall average per year between $8.5M to $9M for 2 years is fair for a 31yr old opportunistic cornerback who has played okay.
you do have to look at everything but you can not think that Nelson's agent is going to accept a contract like Bradbury when Steven Nelson's last year is five times better in interceptions. Anyway I think it's going to be about the guaranteed money not apy.

Last edited:
Back