Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

If the media is starting to debate the size issue, wouldn't it make sense that it is a significant potential issue? If I'm a GM & have those same doubts, then I stay away from Young with the #2 pick.

Start? This has been the only debate about Young. His draft grade reflects the concerns about size. If he were even a regular small 6'1 210 much less full size, Young would be no doubt A type player. The A minus grade is the downgrade for size, not skills. At this point, you either believe he can overcome size or you don't.

That's been my perception too.
Last week, TJ Houshmandzadeh was asked who he'd pick 1st, CJ or Bryce? TJ's been training with both of them in Cali.
Surprisingly picks CJ, "he's a little more fiery than Bryce is, a little more talkative than Bryce is"
I didn't expect that.
10:10 mark

For me, Bryce Young is more polished in his image and public speaking. Stroud comes off as a pure football player, a jock type who is more comfortable around his dudes than with a mike stuck in his face.

Somewhere earlier I posted my reaction to their combine interviews.

[QUOTE="Porky, post: 3329722, mem
How did Young struggle with injuries? You mean the time he fell on his shoulder while he was running. It’s getting ridiculous. Sadly, a large percentage of you will never give him his due, even as he goes about the business of tearing it up and taking this team to new heights. You’ll just find some other way to knock him. Pretty sad if you ask me.
[/QUOTE]
I've previously posted that Young has had 3 previous separate A-C shoulder injuries on his throwing shoulder (received this confirmation of my observations from 2 of my NFL medical sources). The last one included an A-C separation, shoulder dislocation, rotator cuff and undoubtedly some labrum damage (which almost virtually accompanies shoulder dislocation). Playing through such injuries with meds and injections may allow a player to continue play, but without significant rest and rehab, healing is delayed while further damage is promoted (ala. Luck).

Although getting almost no play, even Saban admitted to the previous shoulder injuries.

The injuries may not have been serious enough to have him necessarily miss multiple games, but given enough repeated shoulder injuries will eventually significantly impact performance if not career. One would be remiss to believe that once in the NFL, Young is likely to avoid further injury to his shoulder structures.

For me, Bryce Young is more polished in his image and public speaking. Stroud comes off as a pure football player, a jock type who is more comfortable around his dudes than with a mike stuck in his face.

Somewhere earlier I posted my reaction to their combine interviews.

I think this is by and large fair. I also think it's fair to consider how many top tier NFL QBs have been 'pure football player, jock type(s)', if any.

Part of being an NFL QB is being a de facto CEO of the 53 man roster throughout the season. You get all of the credit when things go well and all of the blame when they go poorly. And you inevitably get the onslaught of questions about the latter. Seasons are a journey, there are peaks and valleys, winning streaks and losing streaks. And there is never a shortage of mics being stuck in your face at that level when the pressure is turned up, either by the threat of success or failure. How one responds to those mics is one part of it, but just as importantly how one can ride that wave behind the scenes is certainly another.

Poise is a word that is thrown around a lot when evaluating the position, and I don't think it's one lacking of value. These guys are always 'on'. They're always the most under the microscope. Other positions will be judged by their performance, but none whatsoever in the way the QB is judged by the overall team's success/failure. If my starting CB is a pure football playing jock type that's fine. Same for every other position I'd say barring maybe only center. QB isn't a 'lunchpail' position, the demands are far, far greater.

Like I said before Stroud can whip it with the best of 'em. I just have a bit of reservation about when the full weight of being the face of an NFL team is thrust on him and the unforgiving nature of that weight at the pro level begs who and what he is unrelentingly. I don't hold that reservation at all with Young.

But this is also just one consideration of many and anyone who's all in on Stroud for his pros/cons versus those of Young then that's cool too.

I think this is by and large fair. I also think it's fair to consider how many top tier NFL QBs have been 'pure football player, jock type(s)', if any.

Part of being an NFL QB is being a de facto CEO of the 53 man roster throughout the season. You get all of the credit when things go well and all of the blame when they go poorly. And you inevitably get the onslaught of questions about the latter. Seasons are a journey, there are peaks and valleys, winning streaks and losing streaks. And there is never a shortage of mics being stuck in your face at that level when the pressure is turned up, either by the threat of success or failure. How one responds to those mics is one part of it, but just as importantly how one can ride that wave behind the scenes is certainly another.

Poise is a word that is thrown around a lot when evaluating the position, and I don't think it's one lacking of value. These guys are always 'on'. They're always the most under the microscope. Other positions will be judged by their performance, but none whatsoever in the way the QB is judged by the overall team's success/failure. If my starting CB is a pure football playing jock type that's fine. Same for every other position I'd say barring maybe only center. QB isn't a 'lunchpail' position, the demands are far, far greater.

Like I said before Stroud can whip it with the best of 'em. I just have a bit of reservation about when the full weight of being the face of an NFL team is thrust on him and the unforgiving nature of that weight at the pro level begs who and what he is unrelentingly. I don't hold that reservation at all with Young.

But this is also just one consideration of many and anyone who's all in on Stroud for his pros/cons versus those of Young then that's cool too.

Wasn’t Osweiller the most well-spoken CEO type QB in team history? Did not help his play.

It appears that HC Reich and owner Tepper are split on their favor of QBs..............Reich for Stroud.........Tepper for Young. The man who writes the checks tends to write the scripts.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Are Panthers planning to pick Bryce Young?
Posted by Mike Florio on April 7, 2023, 12:43 AM EDT

When the Panthers moved from No. 9 to No. 1, the betting favorite for the first overall selection in the draft became Ohio State’s C.J. Stroud. Alabama’s Bryce Young, the prior favorite, might still be the safer bet.
Via LarryBrownSports.com, ESPN’s Chris Mortensen believes that Panthers will select Young.

Bryce Young is the pick,” Mortensen said. “They all love Bryce Young.”

The knock on Young is both his size and his weight. But the Panthers apparently won’t be deterred by those factors, if Mortensen is right.

The truth could be that, even if the Panthers were leaning toward Stroud, the man in charge of the organization developed an affinity for Young. In the event of a closer call, the preference of the man who owns the team becomes a significant factor.

At this point, I am coming around to the idea that it’s best if Panthers take Bryce and we go CJ. Every time Young gets a hangnail for the next decade it’ll be a hoarde of I told you so’s here and all over town. He could trip over a threshold and it’s going to be because he is short and light. He can win 3 SB’s and it will be because he has a great cast around him. He will never get a fair shake in this town. The die is cast. Frankly, this town doesn’t deserve him. Let him go somewhere that he will be appreciated.

At this point, I am coming around to the idea that it’s best if Panthers take Bryce and we go CJ. Every time Young gets a hangnail for the next decade it’ll be a hoarde of I told you so’s here and all over town. He could trip over a threshold and it’s going to be because he is short and light. He can win 3 SB’s and it will be because he has a great cast around him. He will never get a fair shake in this town. The die is cast. Frankly, this town doesn’t deserve him. Let him go somewhere that he will be appreciated.
Big chance he becomes a Texans and of course, it is fashionable to trash talk them.
It still makes me shake my head, but you aren't gonna make people love you. But, with BY here and him being such a likable young man, that could change a few hearts among the national talking heads.
I hope he does come here and prove that he does belong in pro football and become a star - that would be good for Houston fans and Houston football - and bleed over to other Houston sports.
He could be so good for this town on many levels and for that reason also I support him - but that is contingent on him coming here.

I deserve Bryce Young. You can let the others bring you down. But you can't step on my dream of Bryce Young being the QB of the Houston Texans.

Only David Tepper can do that. :(
Because this is the Houston Texans and the McNairs, Tepper is going to do just that.

I've previously posted that Young has had 3 previous separate A-C shoulder injuries on his throwing shoulder (received this confirmation of my observations from 2 of my NFL medical sources). The last one included an A-C separation, shoulder dislocation, rotator cuff and undoubtedly some labrum damage (which almost virtually accompanies shoulder dislocation). Playing through such injuries with meds and injections may allow a player to continue play, but without significant rest and rehab, healing is delayed while further damage is promoted (ala. Luck).

Although getting almost no play, even Saban admitted to the previous shoulder injuries.

The injuries may not have been serious enough to have him necessarily miss multiple games, but given enough repeated shoulder injuries will eventually significantly impact performance if not career. One would be remiss to believe that once in the NFL, Young is likely to avoid further injury to his shoulder structures.
As far as I know, everyone acknowledges the shoulder injuries last season. The problem is the other two, which information you got from medical sources. This information is not easily found, if at all, by the general public so is not readily acknowledged. It's not easy to have an opinion on something you know nothing about.

Last edited:
It seems only a few days ago that you were coming around to the idea that Stroud would be okay if Bryce was gone :kitten:

The shoulder is getting zero run in the sports media. It could be because they don't have the info, or it could be that it's not really seen as a big deal.

That said, CND tends to have some semi-inside info from time to time. I'm not about to disparage or dismiss his info. But anything he has, you can be sure the teams have it, and likely more than he has.

This is a QB. Yes corners are valuable, but QB's chosen in the top 5 have been poked and prodded more than aliens coming down to experiment on, and cross-breed with humans.

I just don’t think the Texans are going to take Stroud because of Mulugheta. If he’s there that is. Sure, they will eventually have to work with his clients, and maybe they are right now, but with this being such a high profile position I just think they’re still too close to this dude screwing them over. CJ ain’t happening in Houston.

As for the I told you so’s around here, who ******* cares? It wouldn’t be TT if there wasn’t a bunch of vomit you had to wade through.

NFL executives are split on whether the Carolina Panthers will select Ohio State quarterback C.J. Stroud or Alabama's Bryce Young with the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL draft, per ESPN's Jeremy Fowler.

"I asked at least 20 NFL personnel people on this, and the votes are essentially split between Alabama's Bryce Young and Ohio State's C.J. Stroud. There might be a slight edge to Young, but it's still too close to decipher who the true favorite is right now. The Carolina Panthers have done a stealth job holding the suspense, and only a few people in their building truly know the name that's going on the draft card."

Per Joseph Person of The Athletic, league insiders believed the Panthers moved up for Stroud. Most people that ESPN's Dan Graziano spoke with at the league meetings also thought Stroud was the choice.

But there's been chatter backing Young, too. Of note, Peter King of NBC Sports wrote that "several influential voices" in the Panthers' organization favor Young. ESPN's Chris Mortensen also stated that Young will be the pick.

Regardless of which direction the Panthers go, it's clear the runner-up in this situation won't be waiting long to hear his name. The Houston Texans at No. 2 need a long-term solution at quarterback, and the same goes for the Indianapolis Colts at No. 4.

As far as I know, everyone acknowledges the shoulder injuries last season. The problem is the other two, which information you got from medical sources. This information is not easily found, if at all, by the general public so is not readily acknowledged. It's not easy to have an opinion on something you know nothing about.
No media has publicly acknowledged any shoulder injury to Young, except the one he sustained Oct 1, 2022.

I just don’t think the Texans are going to take Stroud because of Mulugheta. If he’s there that is. Sure, they will eventually have to work with his clients, and maybe they are right now, but with this being such a high profile position I just think they’re still too close to this dude screwing them over. CJ ain’t happening in Houston.

As for the I told you so’s around here, who ******* cares? It wouldn’t be TT if there wasn’t a bunch of vomit you had to wade through.

I agree with your last point. I guess I just thought with that much talent, people would be drooling over the possibility but they are hung up on one single trait. Like you said, it doesn't matter who any of us want or don't want. This is really about 5 people - Cal, Hannah, Nick, Demeco, and Bobby Slowik. If they are comfy with Bryce, and he isn't taken by Carolina, he's the pick.

I do disagree with the first point. You can believe Nick or not, but he's stated vehemently that agents play no role in player selection and that it's bad business. I agree with the last part of that. I don't think you can be that selective and take people off your board over who represents them. First-rounders are slotted these days. No first-rounder holds out anymore. CJ signing his deal is a done deal. So, you're talking about a possibility 4-5 years down the road. By then who knows - the guy could have been run over by a bus, CJ might change agents, or perhaps CJ won't be as big of a dickweed as Watson, and will instruct his agent to get a deal done. It might play a very minor role in their overall eval, but I don't think they pass on CJ if the Panthers go with Young. JMO. Good debate as always Speedy - have a good weekend.

The shoulder is getting zero run in the sports media. It could be because they don't have the info, or it could be that it's not really seen as a big deal.

That said, CND tends to have some semi-inside info from time to time. I'm not about to disparage or dismiss his info. But anything he has, you can be sure the teams have it, and likely more than he has.

This is a QB. Yes corners are valuable, but QB's chosen in the top 5 have been poked and prodded more than aliens coming down to experiment on, and cross-breed with humans.
I certainly appreciate the line of thinking from your perspective. Understand that the medical evaluations of Draft candidates are not as all-inclusive as the public is made to believe.

Clowney is a perfect example of "protection" of a potential 1:1 Draft pick. In line with your assumption, teams and the media should have had no problems knowing, reporting and acting on his college injury history. But that didn't happen. Spurrier did nothing to highlight his injuries, rather (just like Saban with Young) minimized them when he even mentioned them in passing.

As I've mentioned previously, Young has never been made to submit to a shoulder arthrogram and/or an arthroscopy, which is the only reliable way to document labral and articular damage to a shoulder. This is because no Draft candidate can be forced to undergo an "invasive" procedure, especially if the results would likely be a negative to his draft status.

I certainly appreciate the line of thinking from your perspective. Understand that the medical evaluations of Draft candidates are not as all-inclusive as the public is made to believe.

Clowney is a perfect example of "protection" of a potential 1:1 Draft pick. In line with your assumption, teams and the media should have had no problems knowing, reporting and acting on his college injury history. But that didn't happen. Spurrier did nothing to highlight his injuries, rather (just like Saban with Young) minimized them when he even mentioned them in passing.

As I've mentioned previously, Young has never been made to submit to a shoulder arthrogram and/or an arthroscopy, which is the only reliable way to document labral and articular damage to a shoulder. This is because no Draft candidate can be forced to undergo an "invasive" procedure, especially if the results would likely be a negative to his draft status.

QB position trumps CB position but to defy Medical advice without further in-depth scrutiny, seems desperate and unprofessional. Or definition of insanity :woot2

:spit:

You've been around here long enough to know better than that.

:coffee:

our QB coach is with Athlete's first as well as now Bryce Young

What can't be minimized is that his positives only outweigh that one issue, if he manages to stay on the field.

This is the essence of it all.

My concern is that I'm reading Young is not a scrambler. That alone is concerning because the pocket is a dangerous place for a QB of any size. If he cannot consistently escape pressure, then we'll have to hope he's durable against some much, much larger opponents.

Yeah he will get a fair shake. DeMeco has the goodwill of this city and they will give his first draft choice the benefit of the doubt.

And if Young wins consistently, it won't even be an issue. This city craves a QB and a winning team. We are a simple people. Just give us a reason to hope, and the city will support it accordingly.

Now, if Will Anderson Jr. with the Colts breaks Young in his rookie season, then yeah, we'll never hear the end of it. Let's hope this statement is just me being cynical. lol

But why shouldn't he, or maybe why hasn't he, volunteered to have these procedures. After all, it's his career which is under consideration.

I know I would. Even at his age I believe I would have; I was prepared, and ready, to be on my own following my HS graduation. Paying for or financing the procedures wouldn't be an issue for Young, with his future.

This is the essence of it all.

My concern is that I'm reading Young is not a scrambler. That alone is concerning because the pocket is a dangerous place for a QB of any size. If he cannot consistently escape pressure, then we'll have to hope he's durable against some much, much larger opponents.

Yeah he will get a fair shake. DeMeco has the goodwill of this city and they will give his first draft choice the benefit of the doubt.

And if Young wins consistently, it won't even be an issue. This city craves a QB and a winning team. We are a simple people. Just give us a reason to hope, and the city will support it accordingly.

Now, if Will Anderson Jr. with the Colts breaks Young in his rookie season, then yeah, we'll never hear the end of it. Let's hope this statement is just me being cynical. lol
He's very instinctive at escaping pressure. But doing so, he's not looking to run. He's keeping his eyes downfield to find his open receiver.

You can believe Nick or not, but he's stated vehemently that agents play no role in player selection and that it's bad business.
I believe Nick. He was empathic on the point that an agent would not have bearing on whom the Texans would select in the draft.

What I don't know is how Cal and Hannah McNair feel about this. That's why I'm 95% sure the Texans will take a QB at #2. And not 100%.

QB position trumps CB position but to defy Medical advice without further in-depth scrutiny, seems desperate and unprofessional. Or definition of insanity :woot2
Unfortunately not when millions in contract and endorsements are involved. Players in this position are immensely more afraid of negative information being revealed than the potential appearance of "playing games" with the medicals.........they are coaxed by their agent that team and public ignorance can be bliss in cases like this. You've heard of the saying, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt"? It's definitely no leap to change the wording and extrapolate this when speaking of injuries.

Yeah, I like him too. I think he goes a lot higher than anyone’s talking about right now.

On my recent Mock’s….I’ve been selecting him in mid RD1. Hooker will be a RD1 QB b/c he’s every bit as good as Young and Stroud. Teams are moving past his late season ACL injury since it appears his rehab is ahead of schedule.

That’s all I’m saying. Size matters. It just does.
And Young struggled with injuries this year and that was at Bama.
I can remember watching SEA play and mistake Wilson for Lynch walking up to the line. Wilson is built like a RB. With 10” hands. Young is built like a slot receiver.
delete

Back