Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

How many had Texans right in the past few years? Never believe anything you read pre-draft. There are many different directions the Texans could go. They might go QB at 2, but it is not a lock
Personally I’d be worried if I was right about what the Texans are going to do. That would mean I think like the Texans.. Cal specifically.

Texans passers produced 32nd best QBR and 28th in completion percentage in 2022. They are in a guaranteed spot to take the cream of the crop in 23. There is a 1a and a 1b. Two great options, but nah they are going to pass on a potential franchise changing signal caller for a pass rusher.
Good point

1a: David Carr
1b: Joey Harrington
Just a pass rusher: Julius Peppers

The Texans can't keep the pick and not take a QB, anymore than the Bears could have at #1. Either trade the pick to a team that wants to take the QB, or take the QB for yourself. I love Will Anderson the player as much as anyone. But he's not worth what you can get in return in a trade for a QB.
In the thread he gave the Texans a 65% chance of drafting a quarterback when asked what his odds were. I've got it closer to 85% they draft a quarterback. If I knew the Panthers were drafting CJ Stroud, I'd put it at 99.9% the Texans would draft Young. I believe it's at least worth discussing the very slight chance the Texans do something unexpected. That thing would be drafting Will Anderson. I think it's a three person race with Will way behind Young but closer to Stroud.

I think Will Anderson and Bryce Young are special players at their position. I don't feel the same about Stroud. But that's just me.

Isn't this the stage of the game where Carolina starts talking to the #1 overall about a contract and the details therein? I know the money is supposed to be bracketed by pick ,but isn't there something in this process that could still sway the pick?

I'm not educated enough to know better, but I'd expect to start hearing leaks on those contract talks soon. At the very least I'd expect to hear it mentioned by analysts. I haven't. What am I missing?

Isn't this the stage of the game where Carolina starts talking to the #1 overall about a contract and the details therein? I know the money is supposed to be bracketed by pick ,but isn't there something in this process that could still sway the pick?

I'm not educated enough to know better, but I'd expect to start hearing leaks on those contract talks soon. At the very least I'd expect to hear it mentioned by analysts. I haven't. What am I missing?

1680745219322.png

The only way I wouldn't draft Will Anderson at #2, is if Seattle offers the #5, #20 & #37. Like many of you, I've run a gazillion mocks this year & the one thing I've noticed, is that there are more quality defensive players than offensive players. By trading down with Seattle (assuming they really want Anderson), we'd have picks #5, 12, 20, 33 & 37 in the first two rounds. We could completely rebuild our defensive front seven & add a starting center with those picks. With the picks we have or could have with a trade, we could build a top 5 defense in one year. And, we have the coach that could bring them all together.

The contracts are slotted. Nothing to really negotiate. I think the league wants to keep the mystery at #1 until draft night. I'm pretty sure the Panthers know what the pick is.

The Texans can't keep the pick and not take a QB, anymore than the Bears could have at #1. Either trade the pick to a team that wants to take the QB, or take the QB for yourself. I love Will Anderson the player as much as anyone. But he's not worth what you can get in return in a trade for a QB.

This is mostly where I'm at.

A - Bryce Young. If he's there past Carolina, it's Young.

B - Pimp that pick. Find the most QB desperate team and fleece them for as much as possible and go on to load up.

C - Well, it takes two to tango and if a deal for 2 isn't largely valuable appropriate then there's still a genuinely foundation solid pick on the board - and in my eyes it's Will Anderson.

I like stuff about Stroud. And the stuff I like I like a lot. I could watch him whip it around the field all day. He throws like artwork. It's beautiful. But when it comes to marrying a franchise to a top 2-ish overall pick, I need more than pretty. And there's just a thing lacking, call it 'it' if you like, that I struggle to see in CJ. The demeanor, the strut, the voice, idk whatever, I just don't see that extra intangible in him that can be the dividing line between really talented guys and guys with talent who just always deliver.

I think I'm mostly settled into my A-B-C algorithm come draft night 1. And mostly hoping obviously that Carolina is betting on Stroud.

UUMMM MALI MALI UUMMM - the Colts are not interested in a QB in 2023. The Colts will revive "Suck for Luck" and take Caleb Williams in 2024. 2023 was a practice run for the Colts. The Colts know how to play this game, Cal and the Texans DO NOT.

UUMMM MALI MALI UUMMM - the Colts are not interested in a QB in 2023. The Colts will revive "Suck for Luck" and take Caleb Williams in 2024. 2023 was a practice run for the Colts. The Colts know how to play this game, Cal and the Texans DO NOT.
Are you trying to put Jim Irsay back into rehab? Should have kept Saturday at HC instead of hiring Steichen if that was the plan.

I really hope the Panthers take stroud.

Young is the major prize at the top of this draft.

Everybody else is kind of lumped together for me.

Regardless of the source, ZShawn refers to above, my gut tells me the Panthers are taking CJ.

I'm really fine either way though. I like CJ, and think he could thrive in this offense as long as they don't ask him to go beyond his capabilities. He's not going to create that well or be a true playmaker. He's going to go out, throw darts and if possible keep the offense on schedule and move the chains. Good, smart, silky smooth release and very accurate with a plus arm and probably won't make a lot of mistakes or TO's (rookie mistakes excepted). And as a plus, his size is more within the general guidelines, which could break a tie for the Panthers brass. That said, he lacks a certain instinctual quality of the best - the intangibles are just ok to me. There's not a huge "it factor" with the guy. When the chips are down, can he deliver that special play to carry the day? He came on strong at the end but still...just not sure.

The more exciting QB prospect is Bryce. If you could add 15-20 lbs and a couple of inches, there wouldn't be a question. He can create, make plays, play off-schedule, and has that sixth sense the great ones have to know where everyone is, how to avoid the rush, etc. Simply put, he has the "it factor" that CJ is a bit shy on. While CJ has a little better arm and is even more accurate, Bryce checks the accuracy/arm strength just fine to me and brings the intangibles. CND has mentioned potential red flags on the shoulder. I'm crossing my fingers that the Texans Dr's have the goods on that and that if we draft him, they don't feel it's an issue anytime in the near/mid-term.

Both have high floors, but I think Bryce has a higher ceiling. Both will be at worst, solid starters in the NFL imho, and I'm excited to see how both fare long-term.

ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay believes Alabama’s Bryce Young is the best pick for the 2023 NFL Draft, but Ohio State’s C.J. Stroud is the safer pick.

But most analysts predict it’ll be Stroud over Young to lead off the NFL Draft. At least for McShay, Tua Tagovailoa's injuries with the Dolphins last season raise concerns for Young, the latest Alabama quarterback making the transition.

“Looking at Tua Tagovailoa this past year, getting rag-dolled and thrown around, you worry about that a little bit,” McShay said Wednesday during a conference call with reporters. “But Tua doesn’t have the mobility and the pocket presence and the feel for pressure and even the escape ability that Bryce Young does.”

McShay cited the shoulder injury that briefly kept Young out of practice last year.

“He stayed healthy as a two-year starter at Alabama, but you project to a 17-game season in the NFL with those defensive linemen — and I know the quarterbacks are protected now — but they’re still taking a beating,” McShay said.

Young was measured at 5-feet-10 and 204 pounds, raising the durability question, whereas Stroud is 6-3, 214. Otherwise, McShay said, Young has shown — just as Drew Brees did — he can locate receivers over linemen. McShay said watching Young play football is like watching Steph Curry on a basketball court.

“You know, the size just doesn’t matter,” he said. “ … They process things so quickly and see the whole field or the whole court. With Bryce, you get a player that can extend plays and create magic inside and outside the pocket.”

McShay said Young does it with a “willingness and the toughness to wait to the last second and he'll take the hit. Or he'll duck out of the hit right after he makes the throw. But to know exactly when it's a perfect timing, and when he has to bail on the play versus when he can hang in there and allow the receiver to get open ... and you see so many of his great plays, it’s like right before the defender is going to reach him.”

Bottom line:

“The only thing I'm worried about with Bryce is can he hold up?” McShay said. “You know, that's really it. I mean, if he was 6-2, 220 pounds, there would be no conversation. Bryce Young would clearly be the number one quarterback in this class.”

I like stuff about Stroud. And the stuff I like I like a lot. I could watch him whip it around the field all day. He throws like artwork. It's beautiful. But when it comes to marrying a franchise to a top 2-ish overall pick, I need more than pretty. And there's just a thing lacking, call it 'it' if you like, that I struggle to see in CJ. The demeanor, the strut, the voice, idk whatever, I just don't see that extra intangible in him that can be the dividing line between really talented guys and guys with talent who just always deliver.

That's been my perception too.
Last week, TJ Houshmandzadeh was asked who he'd pick 1st, CJ or Bryce? TJ's been training with both of them in Cali.
Surprisingly picks CJ, "he's a little more fiery than Bryce is, a little more talkative than Bryce is"
I didn't expect that.
10:10 mark

You're not going to see it for a couple of years. But it'll take its toll.
Maybe right again, but would you take 8 years of franchise quality play?
Drew Brees was only 2" taller and 10 or so pounds heavier and enjoyed a long career - I don't see it as a major factor.

"Panthers heavily leaning towards cj stroud, knocked the interviews out the park, likable guy, checked the boxes haven't heard anyone in that war room mention Young much except for the media. If it is up to Reich, it would be Richardson because of what he could be down the road 2-3 years from now"

Same source had Jags last year picking Walker
Man we all should be getting paid for these high tech speculations. Gotta love the media. Lol

Drew Brees was only 2" taller and 10 or so pounds heavier and enjoyed a long career - I don't see it as a major factor.
I'm not even seeing 8 years.

Drew Brees was built like a man. Bryce Young is not. David Carr was a tough guy, but he could only take so much before it changed the way he plays the game & it's a permanent change. I believe Bryce Young may very well be a tough guy. But everybody has his limits. I have no idea where Young's limit is. I don't want him to be a Texans when we find out.

I'm confused. These statements seem contradictory:

“You know, the size just doesn’t matter.” McShay

“The only thing I'm worried about with Bryce is can he hold up? You know, that's really it. I mean, if he was 6-2, 220 pounds, there would be no conversation. Bryce Young would clearly be the number one quarterback in this class.”
~ McShay

:um:

I'd hesitate to try to compare Brees who is considered the most accurate nfl QB of all time to Young. Control of the ball was his forte with his unusually large hands and lightning delivery into tight windows. With fear of his consistent incomparable accuracy, teams tended to concentrate on pass protection vs pass rush. His sack rate was better than Tom Brady. He had amazing functional mobility combined with deadly accuracy which counteracted even the best efforts of pass rush defenses.

I'm confused. These statements seem contradictory:

“You know, the size just doesn’t matter.” McShay

“The only thing I'm worried about with Bryce is can he hold up? You know, that's really it. I mean, if he was 6-2, 220 pounds, there would be no conversation. Bryce Young would clearly be the number one quarterback in this class.” ~ McShay

:um:

I just think he means the size issue doesn't matter relative to what he brings to the table when it comes to weighing pros versus cons and making a final decision.

I happen to feel the same way. I fully recognize the concern with his size. I think it's a relevant discussion. I just think his positives so far outweigh that one issue that I'm willing to, for the sake of making a final decision, turn a blind eye to it.

I just think he means the size issue doesn't matter relative to what he brings to the table when it comes to weighing pros versus cons and making a final decision.

I happen to feel the same way. I fully recognize the concern with his size. I think it's a relevant discussion. I just think his positives so far outweigh that one issue that I'm willing to, for the sake of making a final decision, turn a blind eye to it.
What can't be minimized is that his positives only outweigh that one issue, if he manages to stay on the field.

Exactly!! How many times did we watch Ben limping down the field on a long drive to score. The dude was 6’5 240 on a light day and he got hammered.

I don’t know, Ben could at least get up most of the time and keep playing. Some of those hits on someone much smaller, I mean if I decide to do the peoples elbow on my wife she may be out of commission a couple of months. Unlike if I pick her son who would probably get right up a return the favor, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Exactly!! How many times did we watch Ben limping down the field on a long drive to score. The dude was 6’5 240 on a light day and he got hammered.
Big Ben could take a beating and still keep ticking. Eighteen season, and except for 2019, he missed only a handful of games a season, while still being exceptionally productive. After 18 seasons (unlikely Young lasts even half that time), Young would probably be fortunate to still be walking when he retires, even moreso to remember his name most of the time.

That’s on Tua for holding the darn ball to long and taken unnecessary hits. These writers and their agendas.
Tua has a knack of falling awkwardly at times. Even when he slides in open field he looks awkward. The dude needs to go to a mma/ju-jitsu class of some sort and learn how to fall properly or something idonno:

Big Ben could take a beating and still keep ticking. Eighteen season, and except for 2019, he missed only a handful of games a season, while still being exceptionally productive. After 18 seasons (unlikely Young lasts even half that time), Young would probably be fortunate to still be walking when he retires, even moreso to remember his name most of the time.
That’s all I’m saying. Size matters. It just does.
And Young struggled with injuries this year and that was at Bama.
I can remember watching SEA play and mistake Wilson for Lynch walking up to the line. Wilson is built like a RB. With 10” hands. Young is built like a slot receiver.

I don’t know, Ben could at least get up most of the time and keep playing. Some of those hits on someone much smaller, I mean if I decide to do the peoples elbow on my wife she may be out of commission a couple of months. Unlike if I pick her son who would probably get right up a return the favor, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I agree. Ben was a specimen.

I didn’t know Levis has 10 5/8” hands and is 6-4 230
I can see why they are interested…
That’s Brett Favre size hands.

How did Young struggle with injuries? You mean the time he fell on his shoulder while he was running. It’s getting ridiculous. Sadly, a large percentage of you will never give him his due, even as he goes about the business of tearing it up and taking this team to new heights. You’ll just find some other way to knock him. Pretty sad if you ask me.

I'd hesitate to try to compare Brees who is considered the most accurate nfl QB of all time to Young. Control of the ball was his forte with his unusually large hands and lightning delivery into tight windows. With fear of his consistent incomparable accuracy, teams tended to concentrate on pass protection vs pass rush. His sack rate was better than Tom Brady. He had amazing functional mobility combined with deadly accuracy which counteracted even the best efforts of pass rush defenses.
Sound reasoning Doc.
Young's movement and escapabilty is also notable and yes, he took 39 sacks in an injury shortened season but the Tides line was not very good last year either.
From what Ryans has said, they intend to run the ball a lot so that should help whoever our QB is.

Reactions: JB

Two different sizes but also two different play styles.

Back