Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

Big chance he becomes a Texans and of course, it is fashionable to trash talk them.
It still makes me shake my head, but you aren't gonna make people love you. But, with BY here and him being such a likable young man, that could change a few hearts among the national talking heads.
I hope he does come here and prove that he does belong in pro football and become a star - that would be good for Houston fans and Houston football - and bleed over to other Houston sports.
He could be so good for this town on many levels and for that reason also I support him - but that is contingent on him coming here.
Young would bring national media attention that is certain.

On my recent Mock’s….I’ve been selecting him in mid RD1. Hooker will be a RD1 QB b/c he’s every bit as good as Young and Stroud. Teams are moving past his late season ACL injury since it appears his rehab is ahead of schedule.
In case you missed my post of March 28:

Hooker suffered his ACL Nov. 19 2022 and underwent repair Dec. 12. According to all of my sources, his rehab is not ahead of schedule..........it is ON SCHEDULE. Players trying to come back prior to 7 months have been shown to be very high risk for subsequent injury. Seven months for Hooker will be July 12. Training Camp will begin 2 weeks later. Of course, he will be very limited in his offseason participation.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Source: Tennessee quarterback Hendon Hooker visits Texans, to meet with several teams, ACL recovery ahead of schedule
Quarterback tore his ACL against South Carolina, expected back for start of NFL season

HOUSTON – University of Tennessee quarterback Hendon Hooker visited the Texans this week at NRG Stadium, according to a league source.
And the Volunteers standout, a Southeastern Conference Offensive Player of the Year and all-conference selection, has upcoming official visits with the Tennessee Titans, Indianapolis Colts, New York Giants and Tampa Bay Buccaneers and several others, per a source.

Hooker, 25, tore his anterior cruciate ligament against South Carolina in his final collegiate game, but has made significant progress in his rehabilitation, has resumed throwing and is expected to make a full recovery for the start of his rookie season.

“It’s going great,” Hooker said at the NFL scouting combine. “I plan to be healthy and 100 percent by camp time. There probably are some things I could so physically for teams, but I don’t want to take a chance. I would rather my knee be 100 percent. I am looking forward to a long career.”

Hooker, a Virginia Tech transfer who grew up in Greensboro, North Carolina, has excellent size at 6-foot-4, 222 pounds.

In his first season at Tennessee, he passed for 2,945 yards, 31 touchdowns and three interceptions with 616 rushing yards and five touchdown runs. He led the conference in adjusted passing yards per attempt and passing efficiency rating.

Hooker finished fifth in the Heisman trophy award balloting last season, leading the Vols to a 52-49 win over Alabama as he passed for 385 yards, five touchdowns and one interception.
He passed for 3,127 yards, 27 touchdowns and two interceptions and rushed for 430 yards and five touchdowns.

Hooker has been mentored by Hall of Fame quarterback Peyton Manning, receiving advice from him and Eli Manning.

“Anything that I have ever asked him, he has given me a great answer,” Hooker said. “I once asked him and Eli what it takes to make teammates have the same hunger and drive that you do, and they gave me some great answers. I won’t let the secret sauce out, but I applied those and they helped me out this season.”

I think some of us are hoping he will be okay for season 23 as July will be his 7th month. Yes, I realize he will have rust to knock off (hopefully not with an air hammer) but August should allow him some pre-season action. Depends on the draft and how Mason and Kenyon Green work out and if Tytus improves over a solid 2022. Slowik will have to modify offense for him but that can be done. I think Hooker can be as good as Purdy and Hooker has better run ability.

What's more likely ? I dunno is RIchardson more likely to be a very successful and long time NFL starter or a Jamarcus Russel ?
I may be way off but I think team drafting him would hope for a 2008 year Russell in passing from AR and hope his rushing equals his 2022 college year. 4.43 and OC drools. Of course age is another factor as coaches say I can work with him. I just cannot get excited.

WD40 brought the team a small bump in attention. But ultimately the team has to win in January to keep that attention. And this team has never gone beyond the divisional round.
Ownership not thinking as a fan and would be thrilled with 6-7 wins and another good draft in 2024. I do think fans would be ecstatic if Young or whomever got us to playoffs in 2024.. win or lose.

Why did JaMarcus bust?

problems from the neck up
On this week's edition of "The Rich Eisen Podcast," Eisen passed along a version of the story from Warren Sapp, who was a teammate of Russell's on the Oakland Raiders. The coaches would send Russell home with a game-plan DVD loaded with plays and ideas to study. Suspecting that their bonus-baby quarterback was skipping his homework, the coaches slipped in a blank DVD one day. When Russell returned, he reportedly said the game plan looked good to him.

Regardless of the veracity of the blank DVD story, Russell's work ethic was deplorable in Oakland. He fell asleep in meetings, went AWOL in organized team activities, might have been addicted to "purple drank" and essentially ate himself out of the NFL.

On this week's edition of "The Rich Eisen Podcast," Eisen passed along a version of the story from Warren Sapp, who was a teammate of Russell's on the Oakland Raiders. The coaches would send Russell home with a game-plan DVD loaded with plays and ideas to study. Suspecting that their bonus-baby quarterback was skipping his homework, the coaches slipped in a blank DVD one day. When Russell returned, he reportedly said the game plan looked good to him.

Regardless of the veracity of the blank DVD story, Russell's work ethic was deplorable in Oakland. He fell asleep in meetings, went AWOL in organized team activities, might have been addicted to "purple drank" and essentially ate himself out of the NFL.

A shame. That dude had a cannon for an arm.

At this point, I am coming around to the idea that it’s best if Panthers take Bryce and we go CJ. Every time Young gets a hangnail for the next decade it’ll be a hoarde of I told you so’s here and all over town. He could trip over a threshold and it’s going to be because he is short and light. He can win 3 SB’s and it will be because he has a great cast around him. He will never get a fair shake in this town. The die is cast. Frankly, this town doesn’t deserve him. Let him go somewhere that he will be appreciated.
To me, it's like Stingley. We all know what Lisfranc means, but trying to support Nick, we hoped for the best. He got hurt his rookie season & it my be a related injury.

But he's a Texans. Most of us are not making a big deal about it & are filing it away until lower body injury becomes a recurring issue.

It'll be the same, on my part anyway, supporting the team until it's just to blatant.

I mean Will Fuller's issue coming into the league was his hands. Was not a problem in the league. No injury problems in college, major issue in the league. Many complained about the injuries, but no one I know blamed Rick.

If Bryce is the pick, I'm not going to be looking for injuries so I can gloat. I'm going to hope I'm wrong. If he starts having consistent injury concerns but manages to be there when the team needs him, like Big Ben, I'll admit I was wrong.

If he's on another team and winning Super Bowls injury free for the next 15 years, I'm going to say, "my bad... sorry I convinced Nick to pass on the greatest QB of our time."

Last edited:
To me, it's like Stingley. We all know what Lisfranc means, but trying to support Nick, we hoped for the best. He got hurt his rookie season & it my be a related injury.

But he's a Texans. Most of us are not making a big deal about it & are filing it away until lower body injury becomes a recurring issue.

It'll be the same, on my part anyway, supporting the team until it's just to blatant.

I mean Will Fuller's issue coming into the league was his hands. Was not a problem in the league. No injury problems in college, major issue in the league. Many complained about the injuries, but no one I know blamed Rick.

If Bryce is the pick, I'm not going to be looking for injuries so I can gloat. I'm going to hope I'm wrong. If he starts having consistent injury concerns but manages to be there when the team needs him, I'll admit I was wrong.

If he's on another team and winning Super Bowls injury free for the next 15 years, I'm going to say, "my bad... sorry I convinced Nick to pass on the greatest QB of our time."

We all want the Texans to win, it's why we all spend so much time on this board. Some of us are just more negative due to experience.

Experience with following Houston professional football can make even a skeptic out of the Pope.

Ok. Just making sure I remembered right.

Not sure why his name was brought up in this conversation. It's not like @Jack Burton said, "Size is the only thing that matters."

Put Erkel in the ring with Mike Tyson. That's what we're talking about here.

Houston Texans
renderTimingPixel.png
I've been digging in to the history of the draft for the last few weeks, for fun, and I've come across really really interesting draft picks over the years! If people still keep reading, I want to make one of these a day, each day, until the draft. Today, we're going to talk about the

Houston Texans
Wide Receivers have some unique drills at the combine. A guy throws them the ball slightly out of bounds and they have to toe-tap on the sideline. Someone throws them a ball they have to catch over their shoulder. And there’s the vicious gauntlet drill where he has to catch seven balls in like 20 seconds in a very specific and measured way. A lot of precision needs to go into this drill to show off for the scouts.

After watching all of the wide receivers in the 2011 draft, seeing routes from AJ Greene and Julio Jones and Randall Cobb, the Houston scouts and talent evaluators put their heads together and said…. “Who’s that throwing the football again?”

They didn’t select a single wide receiver in that draft. But they spent a fifth round pick on UNC alum T.J. Yates after they were impressed by how well he put the ball on the money for every sideline tap and every over-the-shoulder catch. In a competition designed to tell the difference between receivers, they thought outside the box!

And while Yates didn’t exactly tear it up (10 career starts), he started six games as a rookie, including a pair of playoff starts and a playoff beat-down on the Bengals. So, there you go! Whatever situation you have, even if you think it’s unflashy and boring, do it as well as you can and maybe you too can be the wide receivers coach for the Falcons!

Also, not super related, but it’s apparently a pretty brutal job. You ice your arm a lot after throwing deep ball after deep ball after deep ball. The next year’s combine thrower, Austin Davis, cited Yates as an inspiration and part of why he was excited to take the job… and a few years later wound up on the Rams. Where, true story, he had to call Jeff Fischer to get into the stadium, because security didn’t recognize him. Despite the fact that he was then the starting quarterback.

Tl;dr, throw the ball for the combine.

Honorable Mention: hindsight might be kind, but for a new franchise in need of a star, it took some stones to take Mario Williams over Reggie Bush and Vince Young. Counting the expansion draft, 7 of their first 23 picks ever were offensive linemen, including the first two.

I didn’t miss it and liked the post. I don’t think Hooker would miss the season, but his injury could help him avoid the Texans QB development curse. I thought he’d be ready around the bye week….which would be great.

How about Anderson, Jr or Tyree Wilson at #2 and Hooker at #12? Ryans would get his impact defensive player while Caserio gets the team a solid QB1.

How about Anderson, Jr or Tyree Wilson at #2 and Hooker at #12? Ryans would get his impact defensive player while Caserio gets the team a solid QB1.

Great question. I was just wondering about this earlier today. I wouldn’t be pissed. I dunno that he’d make it to the second round but not sure if he’s worth the 12th pick either. His negatives that I’ve read are injury of course, age and the type of offense that he played in at Tennessee. Tough one. On the other hand, if we do not go QB at 2 or 12 that increases the chance of him falling to the 2nd.

I didn’t miss it and liked the post. I don’t think Hooker would miss the season, but his injury could help him avoid the Texans QB development curse. I thought he’d be ready around the bye week….which would be great.

I agree with trying to avoid the Texans QB development curse. I hope things follow your proposed scenario. "I want what I want when I want it" in human psychology is a sign of a psychoneurotic/sociopathic pattern of need for instant gratification.........a pattern that the Texans have repeatedly demonstrated. rather than patience for development.

I was told back in February, right after Demeco was hired (and posted it somewhere) that no one in the building felt pressured to take a QB and since then that idea has been reiterated on several occasions.
They are not married to the idea ....

I think there's one QB they would take at #2 and if the Panthers take that guy at one, they'll take Anderson or trade out of the pick altogether. They might get more than the Bears got for the #1 pick in a draft day trade .... QB needy teams know they have to get in front of Indy and maybe even Arizona even after their big extension to Murray who might not be ready to start the season, they probably regret that extension right now..

They can trade back from 12 and still get HH.

I was told back in February, right after Demeco was hired (and posted it somewhere) that no one in the building felt pressured to take a QB and since then that idea has been reiterated on several occasions.

I think there's one QB they would take at #2 and if the Panthers take that guy at one, they'll take Anderson or trade out of the pick altogether. They might get more than the Bears got for the #1 pick in a draft day trade .... QB needy teams know they have to get in front of Indy and maybe even Arizona even after their big extension to Murray who might not be ready to start the season, they probably regret that extension right now..

Can’t rule out your scenario. I am guessing Young is their first choice. But other sources have said they are also comfortable with CJ and would take him if Carolina takes Young. If they got a haul, I’m not totally opposed to trading down if they don’t like CJ, but if they do that, as much as I hate him, a trade bringing LJ here has to be put on the table. Hooker would be another idea with Keenum holding down the fort for a while.

This has some merit.
If teams think Texans may be open to move the pick, they might shoot them an offer.
I'm sure NC wouldn't mind an extra pick or so in this draft.

Didn't Ryans spill the beans last week on NFL Network that the Texans like 2 QBs at the top of the draft?

I also think the Panthers know what QB they are picking. That QB's agent probably knows. The agent for the QB not being drafted at 1.1 probably knows. And the Texans probably know. I think the drama is over for everyone but the fans.

Didn't Ryans spill the beans last week on NFL Network that the Texans like 2 QBs at the top of the draft?

I also think the Panthers know what QB they are picking. That QB's agent probably knows. The agent for the QB not being drafted at 1.1 probably knows. And the Texans probably know. I think the drama is over for everyone but the fans.
I'm sure the NFL is encouraging every team/agent/player potentially involved in the 1:1 and 1:2 picks to keep their mouths shut. The NFL is maximizing their potential viewership [$$$]. If the first 2 picks are known prior to the Draft, the highest "excitement factor" will be eliminated.

Can’t rule out your scenario. I am guessing Young is their first choice. But other sources have said they are also comfortable with CJ and would take him if Carolina takes Young. If they got a haul, I’m not totally opposed to trading down if they don’t like CJ, but if they do that, as much as I hate him, a trade bringing LJ here has to be put on the table. Hooker would be another idea with Keenum holding down the fort for a while.
To the bolded, that mindset (I know it's not yours) makes me uneasy because it seems more like settling than a plan B. With a pick that high and at that position you get your guy.

I agree with trying to avoid the Texans QB development curse. I hope things follow your proposed scenario. "I want what I want when I want it" in human psychology is a sign of a psychoneurotic/sociopathic pattern of need for instant gratification.........a pattern that the Texans have repeatedly demonstrated. rather than patience for development.

Boy, do I ever hate them "chologies" ! I find it more than just a little disconcerting that .... in my youth, I experienced the above abnormality every time I got Horny !!

Last edited:
I deserve Bryce Young. You can let the others bring you down. But you can't step on my dream of Bryce Young being the QB of the Houston Texans.

Only David Tepper can do that. :(
Bryce Young is the best QB in this class. While the Crimson Tide was loaded with talent on both sides of the ball, the OL lacked discipline, experience and ended up as the weakest link on the team.

Young is a wizard at QB. Plays exceptionally well under pressure.

QBs CJ Stroud and Hendon Hooker played behind elite OL units. Tennessee’s OL unit was a finalist for the Joe Moore award.

What is really striking about Stroud is his 41.6% completion percentage under pressure. He ranked 97th in the Nation. He is not very good when he faces pressure from the edges.

Young thrived under pressure. He was basically Merlin behind the Crimson Tide OL. 15 TDS under pressure - no other QB in the nation was even close.

The Houston Texans will either select DE Wil Anderson with their #2 pick or trade back after the Panthers select Bryce Young.

Tell me about the plethora of talent on the Tide's offense

It’s hard to change perception. That is a wheel that turns slowly. We have knowledgeable members of this board that still tAlk about how lousy our offensive line is and how we better invest high picks in it. That ought to tell you how far perception is behind reality

And for the record I agree with you. Last year, Bryce carried that offense.

Bryce Young is the best QB in this class. While the Crimson Tide was loaded with talent on both sides of the ball, the OL lacked discipline, experience and ended up as the weakest link on the team.

Young is a wizard at QB. Plays exceptionally well under pressure.

QBs CJ Stroud and Hendon Hooker played behind elite OL units. Tennessee’s OL unit was a finalist for the Joe Moore award.

What is really striking about Stroud is his 41.6% completion percentage under pressure. He ranked 97th in the Nation. He is not very good when he faces pressure from the edges.

Young thrived under pressure. He was basically Merlin behind the Crimson Tide OL. 15 TDS under pressure - no other QB in the nation was even close.

The Houston Texans will either select DE Wil Anderson with their #2 pick or trade back after the Panthers select Bryce Young.
First, welcome to the board and looking forward to your comments. A suggestion before making statements like Vols "elite" offense, do a simple quick research so you make accurate points.

First, welcome to the board and looking forward to your comments. A suggestion before making statements like Vols "elite" offense, do a simple quick research so you make accurate points.
Top 5 in red zone efficiency
3rd fewest tackles for a loss in SEC
Held DE Will Anderson in check in Tennessee’s 52-49 victory over Alabama.
Well coached unit.
The Vols OL earned its status as a Joe Moore award semi-finalist.

I could probably talk about the Vols all day - huge fan.

In other words, you have no clue what you're talking about
If your response was up to your usual insightful analysis i would have would have engaged. If you are not going add value in this regard and respond with the cliched message board insult drivel, it is not worth your time and my time (regardless of my obsession with the SEC and your football knowledge).

If your response was up to your usual insightful analysis i would have would have engaged. If you are not going add value in this regard and respond with the cliched message board insult drivel, it is not worth your time and my time (regardless of my obsession with the SEC and your football knowledge).
You stated that Alabama was loaded with talent on both sides of the ball. I asked you to tell me about it. If you're going to cry about such a simple question then don't make statements you can't support. It has nothing to do with your obsession with the SEC or my football knowledge. It has to do with your football knowledge because you are the one making the outlandish statement that Young is only the best QB because he was surrounded by talent.

You stated that Alabama was loaded with talent on both sides of the ball. I asked you to tell me about it. If you're going to cry about such a simple question then don't make statements you can't support. It has nothing to do with your obsession with the SEC or my football knowledge. It has to do with your football knowledge because you are the one making the outlandish statement that Young is only the best QB because he was surrounded by talent.
I don't know their names, but I find it hard to believe Nick Saban failed to field a quality team that just happened to be a game away from the NCG because he just happened to have the best QB in CFB since Case Keenum.

If Saban fails to earn a Bowl game in 2023, maybe I'll believe it. Until then, I'm seeing Tua, Hurts, McCarron... eh.

Last edited:
Back