Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

Saw on Twitter that Levis is falling down the draft boards. Reasons such as character and attitude to the point of being cocky have been mentioned. While I still think that he will be drafted in the 1st round. Other sources that report on these issues are saying that he may slide into the 2nd round.

If for whatever reason we don't take a QB at 2 or 12. Would you take Levis in the 2nd if he falls into it?

I'm still trying to figure out why he wasn't productive. I mean we've seen stacked defensive teams and player produced.
The Georgia Defense is primarily a gap control D. The 7 or 9 tech job is to box the corner and take away the outside escape.

Jalen Carter pushes back against the pre-draft process; more top prospects should
Posted by Mike Florio on April 4, 2023, 9:38 AM EDT

It’s great to see a player pushing back against the draft industrial complex, refusing to go along with the it’s a job interview mantra that justifies poking and prodding and interrogation and travel from city to city to city to city. It’s curious, however, to see the one top prospect with the most red flags taking a stand.

Georgia defensive tackle Jalen Carter has made a calculated risk by refusing to visit teams not picking in the top 10.

It’s possible that his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, knows with certainty that Carter won’t make it past the Eagles at No. 10. Despite the endless pre-draft smokescreens, there are situations in which an agent, given his relationships throughout the league, has reliable, trustworthy information as to when a client will be drafted.

It’s possible that Rosenhaus is trying to speak a top-1o draft position into existence. One league source suggested that Rosenhaus may be utilizing the Steve Jobs “reality distortion field.” It wouldn’t be unprecedented.

Twenty years ago, Rosenhaus pretended to be on the phone, supposedly with a team interested in drafting running back Willis McGahee, as the Bills went on the clock with the 23rd pick in the draft.

“I didn’t want it to make it look like our phones weren’t ringing,” Rosenhaus said at the time. “Willis and I had a little chat to create the perception that we weren’t waiting for teams to call us.”

This time around, Rosenhaus could be creating the perception that Carter already knows he’ll be a top-10 pick.

There’s another possibility for Carter’s position that he’s restricting visits to the teams in the top 10. He simply might not be interested in being grilled again and again about the incident that resulted in a no-contest plea to racing and reckless driving charges. He also may not want to talk about the struggles from his Pro Day workout.

If we truly care about the mental health of athletes, there’s a point at which those advising him should factor the overall stress and strain of being repeatedly questioned about difficult subjects. Maybe, in hindsight, Carter should have postponed or canceled his Pro Day workout, given the distraction arising from the criminal charges filed against him. Maybe, for now, the best move is to cut off the number of occasions during which he’ll be grilled — especially by the teams that have a less realistic chance to get him.

Unless he does indeed slip down the board.

Again, there’s a calculated risk. Even if Rosenhaus has been told that Carter’s floor is no lower than No. 10, there’s a risk in trusting that information.

All things considered, it’s an encouraging move. Not nearly enough players resist the excessive demands and expectations of the pre-draft process. More should refuse visits. More should refuse workouts. More should refuse to go to the Combine. More should refuse to show up at the draft without an appearance fee. More should refuse to sign with the team that drafts them.

Most are brainwashed into believing it’s all an honor and a privilege. Most are brainwashed into thinking they have no power over the process. Most are brainwashed into accepting the decisions made by teams as fate or predetermination or whatever.
Basically, Jalen Carter shouldn’t be the only one doing this. It stands out because, this year, he is.

In future years, hopefully more top prospects will follow Carter’s lead, and expand on it.

It’s great to see a player pushing back against the draft industrial complex, refusing to go along with the it’s a job interview mantra that justifies poking and prodding and interrogation and travel from city to city to city to city.
All things considered, it’s an encouraging move. Not nearly enough players resist the excessive demands and expectations of the pre-draft process. More should refuse visits. More should refuse workouts. More should refuse to go to the Combine. More should refuse to show up at the draft without an appearance fee. More should refuse to sign with the team that drafts them.
What's so onerous about being interviewed for a job that will make you a millionaire? Florio seems to know, but I'm baffled.

Jalen Carter pushes back against the pre-draft process; more top prospects should
Posted by Mike Florio on April 4, 2023, 9:38 AM EDT

It’s great to see a player pushing back against the draft industrial complex, refusing to go along with the it’s a job interview mantra that justifies poking and prodding and interrogation and travel from city to city to city to city. It’s curious, however, to see the one top prospect with the most red flags taking a stand.

Georgia defensive tackle Jalen Carter has made a calculated risk by refusing to visit teams not picking in the top 10.

It’s possible that his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, knows with certainty that Carter won’t make it past the Eagles at No. 10. Despite the endless pre-draft smokescreens, there are situations in which an agent, given his relationships throughout the league, has reliable, trustworthy information as to when a client will be drafted.

It’s possible that Rosenhaus is trying to speak a top-1o draft position into existence. One league source suggested that Rosenhaus may be utilizing the Steve Jobs “reality distortion field.” It wouldn’t be unprecedented.

Twenty years ago, Rosenhaus pretended to be on the phone, supposedly with a team interested in drafting running back Willis McGahee, as the Bills went on the clock with the 23rd pick in the draft.

“I didn’t want it to make it look like our phones weren’t ringing,” Rosenhaus said at the time. “Willis and I had a little chat to create the perception that we weren’t waiting for teams to call us.”

This time around, Rosenhaus could be creating the perception that Carter already knows he’ll be a top-10 pick.

There’s another possibility for Carter’s position that he’s restricting visits to the teams in the top 10. He simply might not be interested in being grilled again and again about the incident that resulted in a no-contest plea to racing and reckless driving charges. He also may not want to talk about the struggles from his Pro Day workout.

If we truly care about the mental health of athletes, there’s a point at which those advising him should factor the overall stress and strain of being repeatedly questioned about difficult subjects. Maybe, in hindsight, Carter should have postponed or canceled his Pro Day workout, given the distraction arising from the criminal charges filed against him. Maybe, for now, the best move is to cut off the number of occasions during which he’ll be grilled — especially by the teams that have a less realistic chance to get him.

Unless he does indeed slip down the board.

Again, there’s a calculated risk. Even if Rosenhaus has been told that Carter’s floor is no lower than No. 10, there’s a risk in trusting that information.

Most are brainwashed into believing it’s all an honor and a privilege. Most are brainwashed into thinking they have no power over the process. Most are brainwashed into accepting the decisions made by teams as fate or predetermination or whatever.
Basically, Jalen Carter shouldn’t be the only one doing this. It stands out because, this year, he is.

In future years, hopefully more top prospects will follow Carter’s lead, and expand on it.

Sounds like Carter is taking a leap of fait. If he isn't visiting anyone but top 10. Teams might flag him and he could drop way down. Maybe not 2nd round seeing he has the ability. But, down to the teens or so maybe

I like Hooker, but this does not seem to be a positive............my problem with this stat, though, is that the term "scramble" does not necessarily describe a run, but also describes simply any maneuver a quarterback makes to avoid a sack. The important stats are those associated when a quarterback scrambles.............whether he is sacked, whether he successfully passes, whether he ends up running successfully. And these stats can be highly dependent on the performance of the quarterback's Oline.

I like Hooker, but this does not seem to be a positive............my problem with this stat, though, is that the term "scramble" does not necessarily describe a run, but also describes simply any maneuver a quarterback makes to avoid a sack. The important stats are those associated when a quarterback scrambles.............whether he is sacked, whether he successfully passes, whether he ends up running successfully. And these stats can be highly dependent on the performance of the quarterback's Oline.

I like Hookers too, weird place to bring it up though!

The S2 cognitive test has been used in sports and other professions for a long time to predict performance. Under normal circumstances, taken alone without outside factors, it is quite valid. But factors such as alcohol or drug abuse in the business world and injuries in the sports world are known confounding factors.

If anyone is interested in testing yourself or your kids..........S2 Cognition Testing Regular price$399.00 $199.00 Sale

The Georgia Defense is primarily a gap control D. The 7 or 9 tech job is to box the corner and take away the outside escape.
So is Alabama and we've seen guys produce. No matter your gap control, it's not like every player is 2 gaping. If Carter, Davis, Wyatt and those guys were controlling 5 guys, thar singled up someone right? I'm just saying at some point ,guys got to produce.

I mentioned the other day somewhere that this guy Levis was rubbing me the wrong way, and I was getting a bad sort of Ryan Leaf vibe from him.

As per usual, when my spidey senses start tingling, I'm usually right. For all you guys that think let's draft WA and then draft Levis later...you sure you want this guy?

ZERO surprise to me. I've been saying the identical thing for weeks while y'all whistle in the wind about all these other scenarios that aren't going to happen.

Is James Palmer part of the Houston front office? LZ got both first round picks right last year and his last mock has them going Tyree Wilson at 2.

Is James Palmer part of the Houston front office? LZ got both first round picks right last year and his last mock has them going Tyree Wilson at 2.

LZ the review of this mock admitted he was trying "to think like the Texans" over he had any specific information. Now, if Lance publishes something close to this in three Wednesdays maybe I will take it more seriously

It's on the internet and twitter so it must be true

He may be getting leaked info plus it comports with every single breadcrumb that has been left along the trail and is total common sense.

AKA the law of parsimony AKA Occam's Razor AKA KISS.

He may be getting leaked info plus it comports with every single breadcrumb that has been left along the trail and is total common sense.

AKA the law of parsimony AKA Occam's Razor AKA KISS.
How many had Texans right in the past few years? Never believe anything you read pre-draft. There are many different directions the Texans could go. They might go QB at 2, but it is not a lock

How many had Texans right in the past few years? Never believe anything you read pre-draft. There are many different directions the Texans could go. They might go QB at 2, but it is not a lock

Texans passers produced 32nd best QBR and 28th in completion percentage in 2022. They are in a guaranteed spot to take the cream of the crop in 23. There is a 1a and a 1b. Two great options, but nah they are going to pass on a potential franchise changing signal caller for a pass rusher.

Is that what you are trying to convince yourself of? That’s called a GM career shortening move and literally no GM is going to do that or they will quickly find themselves in the unemployment line, and rightfully so.

I guess y’all like to overthink things out of sheer boredom or some need to outwit everyone and prove your the smartest guy in the room. As for me, I apply common sense to problems. I work in IT. This common sense thing has kept me in this business for almost 3 decades. I never overthink a problem. Keep it simple, keep it real, keep it logical. They are taking Young or CJ. * exception for a crazy trade, Bryce shoulder issue, or some crazy news.

Texans passers produced 32nd best QBR and 28th in completion percentage in 2022. They are in a guaranteed spot to take the cream of the crop in 23. There is a 1a and a 1b. Two great options, but nah they are going to pass on a potential franchise changing signal caller for a pass rusher.

Is that what you are trying to convince yourself of? That’s called a GM career shortening move and literally no GM is going to do that or they will quickly find themselves in the unemployment line, and rightfully so.

I guess y’all like to overthink things out of sheer boredom or some need to outwit everyone and prove your the smartest guy in the room. As for me, I apply common sense to problems. I work in IT. This common sense thing has kept me in this business for almost 3 decades. I never overthink a problem. Keep it simple, keep it real, keep it logical. They are taking Young or CJ. * exception for a crazy trade, Bryce shoulder issue, or some crazy news.
I'm happy for you that you are so certain in what they will do. I'm not certain because they have never done what I thought they would. I do fully expect them to take a QB at 2 but I'm not going to bet on it. Nor will I disappear if they don't do what I want.

You may not have noticed but the Texans have a completely new coaching staff. The new HC and OC just watched the last person taken in the draft go 8-0 and lead his team to the NFCCG. One of the first things the new HC said was that the QB was only one position. He has also mentioned many times how he and the GM and the scouts worked together. The GM is not going to worry about losing his job over the regime's first draft pick.

Paging Steel B to the draft thread stat! Can anyone find a connection to Clemson or Nigerian Dr's please?

PS - I don't buy a damn thing Lance is selling. He's become pure click bait trash. He used to be reliable nad thoughful, but this year he's garbage and just trying to gin up traffic for his stupidity. It's not happening Lance. It's CJ or Bryce.

I mentioned the other day somewhere that this guy Levis was rubbing me the wrong way, and I was getting a bad sort of Ryan Leaf vibe from him.

As per usual, when my spidey senses start tingling, I'm usually right. For all you guys that think let's draft WA and then draft Levis later...you sure you want this guy?

Arrogant & entitled people seem to be running sht. Probably because they’re arrogant & feel entitled.

Back