Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

Hey gotta give him an E for trying and being extra creative. Well thought out plan that the Washington Red—— attempted so many years ago.
Wanted Young but both PFF & Brugler (ranked #2) goes off the board to Carolina. Thank you Lovie Smith!
A lot of posters here are in love with Hooker (great young man) and Wypler @ Center, especially for Stroud. The out of course is Will Anderson, I’m not his biggest fan but feel he’s more reasonable selection, given contract demands (Mulugheta) from Stroud camp year 4. Hooker is just a back-up plan, don’t like his foot placement, reading coverages or mobility from Hooker but Texans are committed to selecting a QB.

I would offer Carolina the 33rd pick in exchange for the #1 selection in the 2023 draft and take Young. Caserio did this to himself, can’t mess this up.

Anderson's comparison is Demarcus Ware. He has accomplished more at Alabama than anyone not named Derrick Thomas. I want that for the Texans
If Anderson is comparable to Ware then he's got to be a tremendous prospect, because Ware was one of the best edge rushers of contemporary times IMO.
I've thought for awhile that there's no way we don't go QB with our #2 overall pick because Casserio is now in his third year and it's time for him to win/produce: unlike in'21 & '22 the pressure is really on him now, in his third year.
But landing DeMeco as our new HC was very unexpected and a real accomplishment by the ownership, so I suspect (dunno, just
speculating here), that ownership to secure DeMeco's services made certain guarantees likely including the authority to decide on the teams top pic (which was the #1 oveall when he was hired), and since he's basically a defensive guy he could surprise us if he's not sold on any of this years top QBs.

I did some research and film study on Hooker after hearing the Texans were meeting with him. I like the idea that the Texans aren't committed to a QB at 2 no matter who goes at 1... However, after watching film of Hooker: HELL NO! His footwork is a joke.. and, it appears he almost needs a running start to make downfield throws. What a mess! What I did confirm while watching his film is that I really want the WR Hyatt! (2nd round or maybe late 1st)

Lol, did you only watch his middle school tape. I couldn’t disagree more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lol, did you only watch his middle school tape. I couldn’t disagree more.

I think what @dalemurphy is referring to is that Hooker makes a lot of arm throws in the UT RPO offense. Not allof them. Here's a video of Hooker in the UT/LSU game where Hooker does step into a 9 route throw to Hyatt on a TD. But clearly, he's making a lot of throws that aren't going to be available in an NFL offense.

I think what @dalemurphy is referring to is that Hooker makes a lot of arm throws in the UT RPO offense. Not allof them. Here's a video of Hooker in the UT/LSU game where Hooker does step into a 9 route throw to Hyatt on a TD. But clearly, he's making a lot of throws that aren't going to be available in an NFL offense.

Ok I watched the LSU game you just linked. LSU was bringing the pressure as they always do and a lot of those arm throws were quick release plays. I’m encouraged that he doesn’t need proper footwork to make the throws when rushed, just get it out there fast. Wasn’t one of his better games but LSU defense has had history of doing that. He does not need to float some of them long throws, I feel like they are doing that on purpose, confident in their receivers to just win contested throws.

Keep in mind everyone, this is the time of year for MISDIRECTION. No coach or GM is going to talk up the players they truly want. All we hear anyone (mainly the media & fans) talking about for the Texans at #2 is a QB & yet, they brought Will Anderson in for a private workout first. Since then, they haven't said anything about him. They might take a QB at #2, but my money is on Will Anderson or trading down. If the fans could be patient (good luck with that) one more year with getting a franchise QB, the Texans could build a top 5 defense this year as well as adding a center/IOL depth, & totally focus on offensive skill positions next year. But, that's just my opinion.

Keep in mind everyone, this is the time of year for MISDIRECTION. No coach or GM is going to talk up the players they truly want. All we hear anyone (mainly the media & fans) talking about for the Texans at #2 is a QB & yet, they brought Will Anderson in for a private workout first. Since then, they haven't said anything about him. They might take a QB at #2, but my money is on Will Anderson or trading down. If the fans could be patient (good luck with that) one more year with getting a franchise QB, the Texans could build a top 5 defense this year as well as adding a center/IOL depth, & totally focus on offensive skill positions next year. But, that's just my opinion.
Your point of view on a quarterback has been mentioned repeatedly by others.The issue I have with that is there is no guaranteed a franchise quarterback will be available next year.

Your point of view on a quarterback has been mentioned repeatedly by others.The issue I have with that is there is no guaranteed a franchise quarterback will be available next year.
And there's no guaranteed franchise QB's this year either. All four of the top QB's have various flaws of some sort. How many times have we seen top QB's flame out & mid-round QB's go on to have HOF careers? It all comes down to the scouting department & front offices doing their due diligence.

And there's no guaranteed franchise QB's this year either. All four of the top QB's have various flaws of some sort. How many times have we seen top QB's flame out & mid-round QB's go on to have HOF careers? It all comes down to the scouting department & front offices doing their due diligence.
You missed the point. It is arguable and has been discussed on board whether any QB in 2023 or 2024 is a franchise QB . My point is one of the top two will be available 23 ; none may be in 24. Many want to take the shot when sight picture lines up.

Last edited:
Do you know what happens when teams have 2 assets they can't keep?

Other teams wait until it's no longer economically feasible and get them cheap.
But if you were on the other side of the argument you'd be looking for trade deadline opportunities.

Wanted Young but both PFF & Brugler (ranked #2) goes off the board to Carolina. Thank you Lovie Smith!
I'm not defending Lovie, but I was shocked the Texans won that game. I mean there was at least 6 WTF plays that shouldn't have happened.

It's like winning a game on three back to back Hail Marys.

Or closing your eyes & heaving the ball from half court at the buzzer.

But if you were on the other side of the argument you'd be looking for trade deadline opportunities.

I said the biggest flaw in @beerlover 's strategy was drafting 2 qb's on the same timeline ,but after further thought there's more.

The reason the Drew Henson gamble worked was because we got him in the 6th and traded him for a 3rd. If you're drafting a back up hedge type qb at 33 overall, he has to be outstanding to get higher value.

If you draft a qb with flashes and extenuating circumstances in the 3rd round or lower, there's a better chance of getting a return.

Consider Matt Schaub. He was drafted by Atlanta in the 3rd round. He showed promise and we gave up 2 2nd round picks in consecutive years.

It can be done.

There's always a qb market and teams always overpay in draft capital or salary. I'm on board with drafting that 2nd qb with potential (even if we have an established starter) evey couple of years and farming them out for picks later.

Just can't do it in the same year as your starter and they have to be farther back in the draft then 33.

I’m on board with this.

I don't disagree with your post at all ,but I also think about the "life cycle" of any nfl head coach. How long do they get before an owner gives up and fires them?

Ordinarily it's roughly 3-4 years (maybe?)

We went through culley and lovie 1 year each. No owner wants a stigma attached that says he's quick to fire an hc. I think DR will have a longer leash because of our history assuming he doesn't sh*t the bed.

If he drafts a qb high year one and misses, he'll probably get another shot at a qb in year 4-5 of his contract. If he waits till later in his tenure, he may only get that one chance.

Both reasonable ways to build a team - just something to consider.

If he drafts a qb high year one and misses, he'll probably get another shot at a qb in year 4-5 of his contract. If he waits till later in his tenure, he may only get that one chance.

I don't think any of the Texans consider it, certainly not DR

exactly. And that’s what will happen. Anyone that thinks we aren’t drafting the sloppy leftover the Panthers leave us between Stroud and Young is living in a fantasy world of their own creation. Outside of being blown away to trade down it’s an ironclad guarantee that we draft Stroud or Young…more likely Young.
Lol I realize fans are just having fun.

I don't disagree with your post at all ,but I also think about the "life cycle" of any nfl head coach. How long do they get before an owner gives up and fires them?

Ordinarily it's roughly 3-4 years (maybe?)

We went through culley and lovie 1 year each. No owner wants a stigma attached that says he's quick to fire an hc. I think DR will have a longer leash because of our history assuming he doesn't sh*t the bed.

Spot on. Why put off what you can do now for tomorrow. Tomorrow is not promised, therefore, go get your quarterback this year.

exactly. And that’s what will happen. Anyone that thinks we aren’t drafting the sloppy leftover the Panthers leave us between Stroud and Young is living in a fantasy world of their own creation. Outside of being blown away to trade down it’s an ironclad guarantee that we draft Stroud or Young…more likely Young.
And if Ryans decides on Anderson you'll rant and rave that he doesn't know what he's doing? Or will you disappear again?

I said the biggest flaw in @beerlover 's strategy was drafting 2 qb's on the same timeline ,but after further thought there's more.

The reason the Drew Henson gamble worked was because we got him in the 6th and traded him for a 3rd. If you're drafting a back up hedge type qb at 33 overall, he has to be outstanding to get higher value.

If you draft a qb with flashes and extenuating circumstances in the 3rd round or lower, there's a better chance of getting a return.

Consider Matt Schaub. He was drafted by Atlanta in the 3rd round. He showed promise and we gave up 2 2nd round picks in consecutive years.

It can be done.

There's always a qb market and teams always overpay in draft capital or salary. I'm on board with drafting that 2nd qb with potential (even if we have an established starter) evey couple of years and farming them out for picks later.

Just can't do it in the same year as your starter and they have to be farther back in the draft then 33.

flash forward to around 47 minute mark. I’m not saying this, they are.

Listen, I’m a huge believer in Stroud, it’s just that SteelbTexan put the fear of Mulugheta in me. Just offering possible options to cover in case.

Bruce Feldman, very respected in NFL circles came out today with his latest mock draft:

23. Minnesota Vikings: Hendon Hooker, QB, Tennessee

Minnesota needs help in the secondary, but this is such a deep draft at corner, and the Vikings could have a hard time passing up the player who eventually takes over for Kirk Cousins. The 6 feet 3, 217-pound Hooker is coming off of an ACL injury that shortened his fantastic senior season for the Vols. He threw for almost 3,000 yards and had a 27-to-2 TD-to-INT ratio; he also ran for 430 yards and five TDs. In his last two seasons with the Vols that TD-to-INT number was 58-to-5. The Vikings don’t need to play him now, so he can keep healing and have time to develop in Kevin O’Connell’s system. I’m told that Hooker shined in NFL QB interviews with coaches at the combine, displaying a lot of maturity and an excellent grasp of not only the Vols offense but also his former offense at Virginia Tech, where he started his career. I wouldn’t be shocked if Hooker gets picked higher than Levis, as some NFL coaches I talked to liked his game more than the Kentucky QB’s.

The Coaching Intel

“He was much better live and on tape than I thought he was gonna be. At first, it was like, ‘Uh, this guy’s alright,’ but then you keep watching and it’s, ‘Uh, my God. This guy has grown leaps and bounds in a year.’ He’s got a cannon. When you look at that Tennessee system, it’s clear that it is a half-field read, where a lot of times half of the receivers aren’t running routes. I think he will have a learning curve making the leap.”

“I think he’s super underrated. He played in two significantly different offenses. I was super impressed with him both in our game and on tape. I know in that offense he’s throwing into space and reading the leverage of the defender, where they spread you out so much more horizontally in one-on-one situations, so he probably only saw Quarters (coverage) and Man. He’s not reading, ‘Are they rolling strong, rolling weak, reading Cover 2,’ but he would sit in the pocket and hang tough. He can make all throws, can throw with touch. He might not run straight-line as fast as Levis, but I think he’s able to escape and create better and has much better pocket presence.”

“Big Hendon fan. He was the smartest of the three QBs we saw (Richardson, Levis and Hooker). I like his decision-making and he has a really quick release. That system really fit him. I thought he was a Donovan McNabb-type. Obviously, he got that ACL (injury). I think he’s really underrated. I think Hendon’s arm might be better than Levis’.”

Bruce Feldman, very respected in NFL circles came out today with his latest mock draft:

23. Minnesota Vikings: Hendon Hooker, QB, Tennessee

Minnesota needs help in the secondary, but this is such a deep draft at corner, and the Vikings could have a hard time passing up the player who eventually takes over for Kirk Cousins. The 6 feet 3, 217-pound Hooker is coming off of an ACL injury that shortened his fantastic senior season for the Vols. He threw for almost 3,000 yards and had a 27-to-2 TD-to-INT ratio; he also ran for 430 yards and five TDs. In his last two seasons with the Vols that TD-to-INT number was 58-to-5. The Vikings don’t need to play him now, so he can keep healing and have time to develop in Kevin O’Connell’s system. I’m told that Hooker shined in NFL QB interviews with coaches at the combine, displaying a lot of maturity and an excellent grasp of not only the Vols offense but also his former offense at Virginia Tech, where he started his career. I wouldn’t be shocked if Hooker gets picked higher than Levis, as some NFL coaches I talked to liked his game more than the Kentucky QB’s.

The Coaching Intel

“He was much better live and on tape than I thought he was gonna be. At first, it was like, ‘Uh, this guy’s alright,’ but then you keep watching and it’s, ‘Uh, my God. This guy has grown leaps and bounds in a year.’ He’s got a cannon. When you look at that Tennessee system, it’s clear that it is a half-field read, where a lot of times half of the receivers aren’t running routes. I think he will have a learning curve making the leap.”

“I think he’s super underrated. He played in two significantly different offenses. I was super impressed with him both in our game and on tape. I know in that offense he’s throwing into space and reading the leverage of the defender, where they spread you out so much more horizontally in one-on-one situations, so he probably only saw Quarters (coverage) and Man. He’s not reading, ‘Are they rolling strong, rolling weak, reading Cover 2,’ but he would sit in the pocket and hang tough. He can make all throws, can throw with touch. He might not run straight-line as fast as Levis, but I think he’s able to escape and create better and has much better pocket presence.”

“Big Hendon fan. He was the smartest of the three QBs we saw (Richardson, Levis and Hooker). I like his decision-making and he has a really quick release. That system really fit him. I thought he was a Donovan McNabb-type. Obviously, he got that ACL (injury). I think he’s really underrated. I think Hendon’s arm might be better than Levis’.”
If he has everything, why can't Slowik 's crew teach him to read entire field? Doesn't have to happen all at once. He read entire field at Virginia Tech.

And if Ryans decides on Anderson you'll rant and rave that he doesn't know what he's doing? Or will you disappear again?

not worried about it any more than i am getting trampled by a pride of unicorns. If they stay at 1.2 its a QB.Exception for medicals on Young or some other breaking info. Very slight chance they trade down as well.

not worried about it any more than i am getting trampled by a pride of unicorns. If they stay at 1.2 its a QB.Exception for medicals on Young or some other breaking info. Very slight chance they trade down as well.
I know you're confident. Texans have surprised/disappointed many with their daft picks in the past. I'm not certain #2 is a QB based on what's happened so far this year. I wouldn't be surprised if it was, nor would I be surprised or disappointed if it wasn't unless they pick Carter

Last edited:
You do realize that saying the same thing over & over to convince someone that it's their only choice, only works if you're saying it to the ones that make the decisions, right? Otherwise, all you're doing is trying to wish it into reality. lol

Back