Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

I guess Belichick is an idiot, too, because Hoyer has been on the Patriots roster two different times. Heck, he drafted Ryan Mallet.

They weren’t drafted to be starters with New England. They were to be the next Matt Cassel - a possible trade for picks. Texans, or OB wanted them to be starters to run OB’s complicated offense that Fitzpatrick apparently was too dumb to run. They were meant to be the answer. When that failed we got Osweiler.

They weren’t drafted to be starters with New England. They were to be the next Matt Cassel - a possible trade for picks. Texans, or OB wanted them to be starters to run OB’s complicated offense that Fitzpatrick apparently was too dumb to run. They were meant to be the answer. When that failed we

Do you want them to use the 1.2 pick on a QB? And if so, which one?
Personally, I would like to see them bring Derek Carr in here and take a flyer on a lower round guy like Aiden O'Connell to be #3 on the depth chart.
But, if they do take a QB with #2, I wouldn't be upset with Young - he is the most pro ready.
#2 will be expected to be the starter, so...

Personally, I would like to see them bring Derek Carr in here and take a flyer on a lower round guy like Aiden O'Connell to be #3 on the depth chart.
But, if they do take a QB with #2, I wouldn't be upset with Young - he is the most pro ready.
#2 will be expected to be the starter, so...

Well so far, it seems everyone's favorite (mostly) HC candidate is a defensive coordinator right now, so you have to wonder how (and who) he would want to draft. Unless of course Hanna picks.

I disagree with using the 1.2 pick on a QB, but if they do I hope we get lucky. And then draft an offensive lineman with the 1.12 pick to help him out. LOL

I had to report you to site mods based on #3.
If Caserio was ever going to draft a TE this world be the yr to draft one.

WR- speed guy who is a threat to score everytime he touches the ball.

RB that can play some slot WR. See above

C/OG
DT
TE that can block and stretch the seams.
Edge
LB
S.

Wait until next year to draft a QB.

If Caserio was ever going to draft a TE this world be the yr to draft one.

WR- speed guy who is a threat to score everytime he touches the ball.

RB that can play some slot WR. See above

C/OG
DT
TE that can block and stretch the seams.
Edge
LB
S.

Wait until next year to draft a QB.
Powda what do you not like?

This team badly needs skill position play makers at all positions on offense.

Use FA to fill holes on defense. Everything can't be fixed this off-season. No more games like the Washington and 1st Tennessee games. Put the fear of God in DC"s

No @steelbtexan.

It's not the year to draft another te.

Wtf is wrong with everybody? How many te's do we have to draft before folks figure out we do not and have not used them properly since Kubiak?

Oc's just want to invest in this unicorn position so they can think they're scheme versatile. It's a flag in their resume. But they draft guys who can't run or can't block. Or both.

We've squandered so many picks on this position it's ridiculous.

The time, the only time, to draft a te highly is when we're threatening an afc championship run with
limited needs. That position is a luxury.

This team just finished 3-13-1. We have much bigger needs.

Last edited:
No @steelbtexan.

Wtf is wrong with everybody? How many te's do we have to draft before folks figure out we do not and have not used them properly since Kubiak?

Oc's just want to invest in this unicorn position so they can think they're scheme versatile. It's a flag in their resume. But they draft guys who can't run or can't block. Or both.

The time, the only time, to draft a te highly is when we're threatening an afc championship run with

Let me try to explain it in a way you can understand.

The head bone is connected to the neck bone. The neck bone is connected to the back bone. The back bone is connected to the hip bone & so on & so forth.

We don't have a TE that demands respect. We don't have a TE that gives us an advantage in the passing game. We don't have a TE that gives us an advantage in the run game. Until we do, we need to be looking for him.

Let me try to explain it in a way you can understand.

The head bone is connected to the neck bone. The neck bone is connected to the back bone. The back bone is connected to the hip bone & so on & so forth.

We don't have a TE that demands respect. We don't have a TE that gives us an advantage in the passing game. We don't have a TE that gives us an advantage in the run game. Until we do, we need to be looking for him.
Not everyone can find a Gronk or a Kelce. I rather draft a qb until I can find a Brady before I find the next Kelce. 🤣

Here's a very feasible top 9, assuming we bring in a decent vet QB like DC:-
#2 Will Anderson ED Al.
#12 Paris Johnson OT OS
#33 Jalin Hyatt WR Tenn
#65 Luke Wypler C OS
#73 Calijah Kancey IDL
#101 Daiyan Henley OLB Wash St
#133 KJ Henry ED Clem
#160 Chris Rodriguez RB Ken Trade 174+191
#186 Aiden O'Connell QB Pur
BPA the rest.
This is a very strong draft that gives both trenches material to work with.
Our Oline could look like this:-
Tunsil, Green, Wypler, Howard, Johnson - not bad.
The offense also gets an additional boost with Jalin Hyatt WR, and a young bull partner for Pierce.
The defense gets a big boost with Anderson, and some nice pieces with Kancey, Daiyan Henley and KJ Henry.
Oh and I took a flyer on a QB to sit behind Vet and Mills.

Last edited:
Here's a very feasible top 9, assuming we bring in a decent vet QB like DK:-
#2 Will Anderson ED Al.
#12 Paris Johnson OT OS
#33 Jalin Hyatt WR Tenn
#65 Like Wypler C OS
#73 Calijah Kancey IDL
#101 Daiyan Henley OLB Wash St
#133 KJ Henry ED Clem
#160 Chris Rodriguez RB Ken Trade 174+191
#186 Aiden O'Connell QB Pur
BPA the rest.
This is a very strong draft that gives both trenches material to work with.
Our Oline could look like this:-
Tunsil, Green, Wypler, Howard, Johnson - not bad.
The offense also gets an additional boost with Jalin Hyatt WR, and a young bull partner for Pierce.
The defense gets a big boost with Anderson, and some nice pieces with Kancey, Daiyan Henley and KJ Henry.
Oh and I took a flyer on a QB to sit behind Vet and Mills.
I do not see Houston giving Titus Howard big bucks which they are going to do this off season and then move him to right guard. Perhaps LG then Green to RG?

Also do not see Wypler starting at center first year.

No @steelbtexan.

TE is down the list of needs. But this is the best TE class in the last 5-10 years.

They need talent all over the roster. I'm just hoping Caserio picks the most talented players and doesn't reach for need.

I do not see Houston giving Titus Howard big bucks which they are going to do this off season and then move him to right guard. Perhaps LG then Green to RG?

Also do not see Wypler starting at center first year.
Your idea of switching Green and Howard is a good one.
Luke Wypler is known to be the leader of that formidable OS Oline and has a strong wrestling resume. I think you put him in there to earn his stripes. By seasons end, he should be right.

whats yall opinion on tanner mckee another qb outta Stanford at no12 ..??? cus to me this is the type of QB nick falls in love with bassically a .2 slighty better qb then mills ..??? Maybe????

i betcha nick would love to take Carter or ANderson at 2 and Tanner falls in our lap at 12

Imo, moving to the number 2 slot really doesn't make that much difference. It's a crapshoot shoot with either pick and you will get one of the best rated QBs. The only question is will he be worth the pick and we likely won't know that for about three years. Could be a total crapshoot job like the Cardinals wound up with, but most likely not. I suspect that all three of the top rated QBs will work out, the question will they just be good or maybe very good or if we get real lucky elite. Only time, development and playing time will tell us what we have. I think the other picks will be much more important than just the first one. They will be what contributes to the teams overall success.

for the past 10+ years any qb taken at no2 is a bust just saying might be a recent curse

whats yall opinion on tanner mckee another qb outta Stanford at no12 ..??? cus to me this is the type of QB nick falls in love with bassically a .2 slighty better qb then mills ..??? Maybe????

i betcha nick would love to take Carter or ANderson at 2 and Tanner falls in our lap at 12
IMO Mckee round 4

Y’all are nuts if you think this team isn’t taking a QB in the 1st round, probably at 1.2. It’s going to happen. Let’s argue over who more than if. The if is slim and none and slim is walking out the door.
I fully expect them to go QB at 1-2 and be like they were under Kubiak. If that's good enough for you then so be it. But hey you are getting to get everything you want, they will win more games and I'm sure you will be entertained, just like with Kubiak. I also expect the same results they had with Kubiak as HC. I want more than that.

In true McNair fashion Cal's gonna sell those tickets again . After all he is a McNair. History will repeat itself.

Please show me who says that? Most have him round 2 but cannot run and 13 TD to 8 INTs.

u know how stanford qbs are its a crap shoot either your getting the next elway or luck or jim plunkett or your getting Mills or hogan ... for some teams tho its a risk worth taking

Wait wait wait…..so You want to draft a qb that’s “slightly” better than mills at 12? :smiliepalm:

u know how stanford qbs are its a crap shoot either your getting the next elway or luck or jim plunkett or your getting Mills or hogan ... for some teams tho its a risk worth taking
Plunkett was a "Mills" his first 8 yrs with NE and SF. He only managed to resurrect his career when he signed as a FA with Oakland. He was riding the bench when he got his chance after Pastorini broke his leg. I wouldn't put him with Elway or Luck though, totally different career trajectories.

I fully expect them to go QB at 1-2 and be like they were under Kubiak. If that's good enough for you then so be it. But hey you are getting to get everything you want, they will win more games and I'm sure you will be entertained, just like with Kubiak. I also expect the same results they had with Kubiak as HC. I want more than that.

In true McNair fashion Cal's gonna sell those tickets again . After all he is a McNair. History will repeat itself.
You have a problem with them selling tickets? You’re a business man correct? The objective is to make money right? So what is the problem?
You’re off the chains. All because they don’t hire who you wanted, you play this card. Instead of letting things play out, you get all up in your feelings and start posting the same exact thing on every thread. Ryan’s hasn’t been hired yet.

Last edited:

I wouldn't take McKee in the first round and he is likely gone by pick #65 - so if NC wants him, he will need to trade back up into the second. Imho.
You might have to jump 49ers if Purdy doesn't look good this last game and they move Jimmy G.

You have a problem with them selling tickets? You’re a business man correct? The objective is to make money right? So what is the problem?
You’re off the chains. All because they don’t hire who you wanted, you play this card. Instead of letting things play out, you get all up in your feelings and start posting the same exact thing on every thread. Ryan’s hasn’t been hired yet.
I

I dont have a problem with them making money. Lord knows they've made plenty over the yrs.

I've seen the McNair's act play out for yrs. I would choose somebody else other than Meco, but I think he's a decent hire. What I dont like is the feeling he was hired because of homerism. BTW, I kinda feel sorry for Meco taking over this loser of a franchise. I dont think he's going to be able to do what we all want him to do because of meddling ownership and the restrictions they put on the GM/HC.

Don't need a Gronk or a Kelce. Just a TE that does what TEs do.

But if you think it's easier to find a Brady, than a TE that does what a TE is supposed to do... I'm down, let's do it.
Look at the teams still in the playoffs and the TE position

Chiefs- Kelce
49ers- Kittle
Philly- Goedert
Cincy- Hurst.

Do the Texans currently have a guy on the roster like these guys? Great TE's are usually on winning teams.

True enough about Jimmy G staying healthy.I do believe. however, that a young, energetic, and innovative guy like Ryans can get a lot closer to making chicken salad out of chicken shite than an older coach who runs an outdated system.

You know damned well that Steel will keep saying what he believes until the cows come home.

Don't we all.

If not we would come off as hypocrites.

:coffee:

Just pointing out that my perhaps is just as valid as your perhaps. Any quarterback taken with a second pick overall would expected to be on the marketing material. Would it not be silly and would we not be criticizing them if it were not?

It amazes me that we become so angry and distraught when teams don't draft who we think they should.

Any way, I'm off to hoping and dreaming and unicorn wishing...

If blue birds fly then why oh why can't I?

No anger here.

Just a firm SMH, it's like people cant look at the last 20 yrs and learn a damned thing.

I

I dont have a problem with them making money. Lord knows they've made plenty over the yrs.

I've seen the McNair's act play out for yrs. I would choose somebody else other than Meco, but I think he's a decent hire. What I dont like is the feeling he was hired because of homerism. BTW, I kinda feel sorry for Meco taking over this loser of a franchise. I dont think he's going to be able to do what we all want him to do because of meddling ownership and the restrictions they put on the GM/HC.
So let me get this straight. Hmmmm so would you feel sorry if they hired the guy you wanted? Or would you be saying they have turned from their wicked ways and gotten out the way? That’s why I said you do this every time they don’t follow your plan.

Why not just keep Pep and go with his 2 QB system. You've got the personnel for it. Is that what you want to watch next year?

Obviously you chose to ignore the "professional game plan and a coach who knows how to implement it.' part of my post.

And no, we didn't have the personnel to run it last year. It was laughable to say the least.

:coffee:

You can say that about any University's quarterback and I prefer to evaluate individual players not the history of that schools players.

Back