Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

If there has ever been a better TE draft class I can’t remember one? With all draft capital Caserio has at his disposal he’s going to hit on at least one, maybe two. Hard reset for Texans at this position. I’m sure DeMeco would agree coming from Shannon system and run heavy, zone blocking scheme TE instrumental.

If there has ever been a better TE draft class I can’t remember one? With all draft capital Caserio has at his disposal he’s going to hit on at least one, maybe two. Hard reset for Texans at this position. I’m sure DeMeco would agree coming from Shannon system and run heavy, zone blocking scheme TE instrumental.

Zack Kuntz is a guy I like in the 5th/6th rd. Big dude that can run.

Can you imagine picking Washington at 2-33 and Kunz in the 5th.

Add a guy like Achane in the 2nd after trading Cooks and 4-103 and adding Bradbury to anchor the OL in Demeco's ZBS. Plus Hyatt in the 1st to provide room for the RB's to run. This offense could become a top 15 offense next yr. Just gotta make the investment.

Optimistically Demeco could bring some of the 49ers FA defensive guys with him. I'm thinking Ward/Ebukan/Ridgeway would be major upgrades on that side of the ball. Love the talk of bringing in Edmunds as an off ball LB to pair with Harris.

Zack Kuntz is a guy I like in the 5th/6th rd. Big dude that can run.

Can you imagine picking Washington at 2-33 and Kunz in the 5th.

Add a guy like Achane in the 2nd after trading Cooks and 4-103 and adding Bradbury to anchor the OL in Demeco's ZBS. Plus Hyatt in the 1st to provide room for the RB's to run. This offense could become a top 15 offense next yr. Just gotta make the investment.

Optimistically Demeco could bring some of the 49ers FA defensive guys with him. I'm thinking Ward/Ebukan/Ridgeway would be major upgrades on that side of the ball. Love the talk of bringing in Edmunds as an off ball LB to pair with Harris.

Remember last years draft Texans didn’t get your target (Greg Dulcich, UCLA 3rd rd.) wish they had 😔 he looks special and would replace two Caserios less spectacular 5th rd selections, Brevin Jordan & Teagan Quitoriano.

Well there is another UCLA TE who maybe similar prospect, can block, run routes with plus hands who’s somehow slipped through the cracks named Michael Ezeike. He is playing tonight in NFLPA all star game. See what you think?

Remember last years draft Texans didn’t get your target (Greg Dulcich, UCLA 3rd rd.) wish they had 😔 he looks special and would replace two Caserios less spectacular 5th rd selections, Brevin Jordan & Teagan Quitoriano.

Well there is another UCLA TE who maybe similar prospect, can block, run routes with plus hands who’s somehow slipped through the cracks named Michael Ezeike. He is playing tonight in NFLPA all star game. See what you think?
What time is the game?

There's a UCLA DE that I like a lot to, Latu, I don't think he's coming out this year though.

Last edited:
Kiper says this is not a good draft on paper and that he struggled putting together his top 150 prospects... Also said he couldn't form any concensus with his contracts on whether Chicago will trade out of #1

Kiper says this is not a good draft on paper and that he struggled putting together his top 150 prospects... Also said he couldn't form any concensus with his contracts on whether Chicago will trade out of #1

I said this was a weak draft in the middle of the season

It does have some strengths at non sexy positions like IOL/TE/Edge.

I said this was a weak draft in the middle of the season

It does have some strengths at non sexy positions like IOL/TE/Edge.
TE and CB. Very deep draft at CB apparently. Devon Weatherspoon is soaring up the mocks...

Can hardly wait for the combine. Things will clear up a lot after we see how these guys perform in individual drills, in neutral environments and without strength/weakness of rosters masking skill sets.

Last edited:
I'm going to put my #1.2 on record and will stand by it till the combine changes my mind. I believe the best pick is Bijan Robinson as he has the most to offer us by excelling in all the RB categories. He and Pierce will dominate while allowing the passing game to excel.
You can likely get Bijan at 1.12. Kid is a stud, but RB is very deep this year

QB, CB, RB, TE and good depth into 7th rd. With exception of QB & TE positions, it just pales in comparison to 2022. This is why Texans can come away with franchise QB and TE, finally. I’m not waiting for what ifs or maybes 🤔

Clearly Demeco is currently coaching for an organization in the NFL which is a consistent winner & contender without having a socalled "franchie QB", notwithstanding the organization efforts to draft one recently.
So the thing is he might be a proponent of building up a strong team to support a capable but less than elite QB like a Garappalo or a Purdy.

Clearly Demeco is currently coaching for an organization in the NFL which is a consistent winner & contender without having a socalled "franchie QB", notwithstanding the organization efforts to draft one recently.
So the thing is he might be a proponent of building up a strong team to support a capable but less than elite QB like a Garappalo or a Purdy.

Or a Davis Mills? :evilb:

QB, CB, RB, TE and good depth into 7th rd. With exception of QB & TE positions, it just pales in comparison to 2022. This is why Texans can come away with franchise QB and TE, finally. I’m not waiting for what ifs or maybes 🤔

You see this QB class quite differently than I do.

Drafting a QB this yr means no championships for the next 5 yrs, probably the next 10 yrs because the QB drafted will be good enough to have a good team but not a championship level team.

What are the odds of being a championship level team no matter who is drafted this year or next?

Pretty good IMHO, since they're loaded with high picks and FA money. If Cal can remain patient and is willing to invest the resources necessary. (Doubtful)

The Texans org is exactly at the point the 49ers were when they started their rebuild.

This is the proper reason not to take a QB or to trade down in 2023. The AFC is stacked with plus young QBs. Even if you draft an excellent QB (whatever year) that dude is going to need a pretty complete team to overcome Burrow, Mahomes, and Allen with Herbert, Jackson, and Lawerence. Tua and Watson can at least fake QB excellence. All those dudes are under 30.

The goal should be to build a complete team that is not dependant on QB greatness, because the Texans might not be able out QB that murder's row of QBing anyway.

Now whether you take just a "good" QB in 2023 or try to go with so-called "excellence" at some future point, is for the Texans and the internet GMs to figure out.

49’ers accumulated all that talent despite trading up for Trey Lance No. 3 overall, giving up No. 12 pick in 2021, first-round selections in 2022 and 2023 and a third-round pick in 2022. Think Fish lost that #1 2023 for tampering…… so doesn’t mean you can’t sustain and remain in the race.

I’m slowly putting this puzzle together in my mind provided Demeco Ryans is indeed the Texans new HC.

If this happens, I’d like to give Demeco the pieces on defense as quickly as possible so he can get them on the 49’ers track of success.

I think there’s enough picks in the books to address the offensive trench and skill positions. I’d also add Jimmy Garoppolo as my veteran QB b/c I suspect Demeco will hire an OC that can run a similar offense to Kyle Shanahan.

I’d like add Hooker outside of RD1 b/c we could and wouldn’t really need him in 2023 b/c Jimmy G and Mills would be on the sideline. This would keep RD1 open for the defensive players I’d like to target. Let me get out of RD1-02 by trading back….if it gains me another RD1 in the process, then I’d really like to add DE- Tyree Wilson (Texas Tech), DT- Siaka Ika (Baylor), and SS- JL Skinner (Boise State). The only other defensive player I’d like to land in the 2023 draft…..ILB- Jack Campbell (Iowa). I believe these 4 players and Ryans could really make this defense special next season.

As for offense, the team should have 7+ picks to focus on that side of the ball. If the picks are right, could make them competitive enough to be out of the running for a QB in 2024.

49’ers accumulated all that talent despite trading up for Trey Lance No. 3 overall, giving up No. 12 pick in 2021, first-round selections in 2022 and 2023 and a third-round pick in 2022. Think Fish lost that #1 2023 for tampering…… so doesn’t mean you can’t sustain and remain in the race.
I would definitely take this for 1-2.

For the record Trey Lance may have ideal measurements, size/speed over Bryce (49ers have a run oriented offense) Young but he is nowhere the prospect and Texans don’t have to trade all that to get him, just make the pick.

The 49ers has had their string of losing season as well.

I dunno Thorn do you think that Davis Mills is roughly equivalent to Jimmy G. & Purdy ?

At this time, with the coaching he has received so far, the answer would be No. With a better surrounding cast of players and coaches, maybe. But I wouldn't count on it happening on a team with such a low talent level as the Texans.

This is the proper reason not to take a QB or to trade down in 2023. The AFC is stacked with plus young QBs. Even if you draft an excellent QB (whatever year) that dude is going to need a pretty complete team to overcome Burrow, Mahomes, and Allen with Herbert, Jackson, and Lawerence. Tua and Watson can at least fake QB excellence. All those dudes are under 30.

The goal should be to build a complete team that is not dependant on QB greatness, because the Texans might not be able out QB that murder's row of QBing anyway.

Now whether you take just a "good" QB in 2023 or try to go with so-called "excellence" at some future point, is for the Texans and the internet GMs to figure out.
I hear what you’re saying. Sounds to me you’re saying we need to start drafting better & coaching better PERIOD.

whether we draft a QB in 2023/2024 if we don’t start drafting better & coaching better it doesn’t matter

I’m not sold that we’ve been drafting better the last two years.

I’m positive we haven’t been seeing good coaching

I’m slowly putting this puzzle together in my mind provided Demeco Ryans is indeed the Texans new HC.

If this happens, I’d like to give Demeco the pieces on defense as quickly as possible so he can get them on the 49’ers track of success.

I think there’s enough picks in the books to address the offensive trench and skill positions. I’d also add Jimmy Garoppolo as my veteran QB b/c I suspect Demeco will hire an OC that can run a similar offense to Kyle Shanahan.

I’d like add Hooker outside of RD1 b/c we could and wouldn’t really need him in 2023 b/c Jimmy G and Mills would be on the sideline. This would keep RD1 open for the defensive players I’d like to target. Let me get out of RD1-02 by trading back….if it gains me another RD1 in the process, then I’d really like to add DE- Tyree Wilson (Texas Tech), DT- Siaka Ika (Baylor), and SS- JL Skinner (Boise State). The only other defensive player I’d like to land in the 2023 draft…..ILB- Jack Campbell (Iowa). I believe these 4 players and Ryans could really make this defense special next season.

As for offense, the team should have 7+ picks to focus on that side of the ball. If the picks are right, could make them competitive enough to be out of the running for a QB in 2024.
I have considered this same scenario, as well. I even agree with the defensive players you mentioned (I would even be OK with another front 7 pick). The rest of the picks could be used on WR, IOL, TE & RB.

My only issue with Hooker is his injury and he probably wouldn't be of use until 2024 when he would be 26 before even starting a game. However, under such a scenario the rest of the team should be much better by then and Hooker would have a lot of clipboard learning time under his belt.

Two years into our rebuild we are ready to start our rebuild

The Rebuild actually really started last yr with the a full compliment of draft picks. This is the 1st yr there will be both multiple high draft picks and cap space available. I'm looking forward to seeing what Ryans vision for the franchise is with all of these assets available to him. The heavy lifting has already been done and Ryans is well setup for success.

Back