Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

2021 Texans disarray or chugging along?

mws

Waterboy
That tells us something .... Either you win with a an above average QB on a rookie contract or you don't win one at all - unless you have a HOFer QB - 8 of the 10 are probably HOFers - the other two had great defenses / running games to carry the load.
I'm curious about people's thoughts on Eli getting into the Hall of Fame.

Jim Plunkett is the only QB with 2 or more Super Bowls not in the hall of fame.

Both Manning & Plunkett's win percentage are the same (.500). Plunkett does have more interceptions than touchdowns & Manning has a better completion rate. But you take away Eli's two SB rings & he has had a pretty mediocre career

Jim Plunkett 72-72-0 .500, Cmp% 52.5%, TD 164, Int 198, 2 Super Bowl victories

Eli Manning 117-117-0 .500, Cmp% 60.3%, TD 366, Int 244, 2 Super Bowl victories

I do believe Manning will get in but to me it seems like Plunkett should get in also.

mws

Waterboy
These are the only two I could find. There could be others. I was kind of surprised by Namath. My family comes from Tuscaloosa Alabama so you know I grew up hearing about Bama QBs like Namath & Stabler.

Sonny Jurgensen
69-71-7 .490, Cmp% 57.1%, TD 255, Int 189

Joe Namath
62-63-4 .496, Cmp% 50.1%, TD 173, Int 220, 1 Super Bowl victory

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I'm curious about people's thoughts on Eli getting into the Hall of Fame.

Jim Plunkett is the only QB with 2 or more Super Bowls not in the hall of fame.

Both Manning & Plunkett's win percentage are the same (.500). Plunkett does have more interceptions than touchdowns & Manning has a better completion rate. But you take away Eli's two SB rings & he has had a pretty mediocre career

Jim Plunkett 72-72-0 .500, Cmp% 52.5%, TD 164, Int 198, 2 Super Bowl victories

Eli Manning 117-117-0 .500, Cmp% 60.3%, TD 366, Int 244, 2 Super Bowl victories

I do believe Manning will get in but to me it seems like Plunkett should get in also.

Yeah , I think he belongs .... He was on several teams that just didn't have much talent.

When he was on the Raiders , his record was .583.

With both the 49ers and Patriots he was .500.

Heisman trophy , Rookie of the year , 2 Superbowls (the first minority QB to win one) , a Superbowl MVP .... Longest TD pass in league history. 8-2 as a starter in the playoffs.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Again, it comes down to the "luck" of where these QB's land.

Well .... unless Watson is a HOFer , the Texans have a two year window to win one with Watson looking at the history of that list.

(unless of course they put a historically great defense and running game on the field)

JB

Old Curmudgeon
Contributor's Club
Yeah , I think he belongs .... He was on several teams that just didn't have much talent.

Heisman trophy , Rookie of the year , 2 Superbowls (the first minority QB to win one) , a Superbowl MVP .... Longest TD pass in league history. 8-2 as a starter in the playoffs.
Do you also think Eli belongs? I don't

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Do you also think Eli belongs? I don't

I think so ....

I also think Eli gets unfairly judged / compared to Peyton. And that sets the bar really high.

Two superbowls
Two superbowl MVP's
A top 50 career QBR.
8 straight seasons of .500 or better.

If he isn't Peyton's brother , I don't think we have this conversation ....

Also , had he retired 2-4 years earlier rather than sticking around the last few years on pretty bad teams , the narrative changes some.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That tells us something .... Either you win with a an above average QB on a rookie contract or you don't win one at all - unless you have a HOFer QB - 8 of the 10 are probably HOFers - the other two had great defenses / running games to carry the load.
Do you see DW4 as one of these type QB's?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Plunkett was a favorite of mine. He got the crap beat out of him and the smartest thing Al Davis ever did was pick him up on waivers and give him a yr off to get over being shell shocked. He was a true leader with all of the teams he played with.

Side Note: Both of his parents were blind. That has to be a tough thing for a young man to take care of his parents.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Well .... unless Watson is a HOFer , the Texans have a two year window to win one with Watson looking at the history of that list.

(unless of course they put a historically great defense and running game on the field)
This is what I've been saying and the main reason it would be prudent to move on from DW4.

badboy

Hall of Fame
If they can just hold off one more season before deciding to pay DW. This season if played should provide lots of info.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If they can just hold off one more season before deciding to pay DW. This season if played should provide lots of info.
This is why I'm hopeful that they give him a 3 yr deal with the guaranteed $$$$ in the 1st two yrs of the deal. The Texans should know if they have a championship level QB in 4 1/2 yrs. Unless you want to buy into the youngsters still learning crowd.

badboy

Hall of Fame
This is why I'm hopeful that they give him a 3 yr deal with the guaranteed $$$$ in the 1st two yrs of the deal. The Texans should know if they have a championship level QB in 4 1/2 yrs. Unless you want to buy into the youngsters still learning crowd.
The problem as I'm sure you realize is that a three-year contract is still going to be at 30 + million dollars per annum. I don't want to pay that unless I think he is the one to be our future franchise quarterback.

OptimisticTexan

Hall of Fame
Invariably on a piss-poor team to start with
Manning was a prime example but it didn't take long for Polian to build a team around Manning. When it was done, Manning got busy delivering the goods. Watson hasn't enjoyed the savvy of a Polian building a team around him nor the leadership of a Tony Dungy. Watson has enjoyed the brilliance of this threesome; Smith, Gaines, and O'Brien......hhhmmm, doesn't have the same ring.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Manning was a prime example but it didn't take long for Polian to build a team around Manning. When it was done, Manning got busy delivering the goods. Watson hasn't enjoyed the savvy of a Polian building a team around him nor the leadership of a Tony Dungy. Watson has enjoyed the brilliance of this threesome; Smith, Gaines, and O'Brien......hhhmmm, doesn't have the same ring.
This was BOB's 1st yr as GM and I liked the moves to get Tunsil/Conley/Hyde/Cooks/Blacklock/Roby re-signing. Let's give BOB the GM a chance.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This was BOB's 1st yr as GM and I liked the moves to get Tunsil/Conley/Hyde/Cooks/Blacklock/Roby re-signing. Let's give BOB the GM a chance.
What do you find funny Earl, I really liked the draft, particularly without a 1st rd pick.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The problem as I'm sure you realize is that a three-year contract is still going to be at 30 + million dollars per annum. I don't want to pay that unless I think he is the one to be our future franchise quarterback.
I'm OK with paying him because I'm willing to give the hey, he's a youngster crowd on this MB the rope to hang themselves with. Plus it's not my $$$$.

badboy

Hall of Fame
JJ Watt has stated he will not play This season if forced to wear a full face shield. Should laremy tunsil decide to do the same but Watson decides to play, I will be extremely concerned for injuries as we don't have adequate replacement. I could see Scharping taking over at left tackle but that still leaves a hole. Thoughts?

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
JJ Watt has stated he will not play This season if forced to wear a full face shield. Should laremy tunsil decide to do the same but Watson decides to play, I will be extremely concerned for injuries as we don't have adequate replacement. I could see Scharping taking over at left tackle but that still leaves a hole. Thoughts?
Season likely won't be for more than 3 weeks if they even have one at all.

I wouldn't worry about it to much.