Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2019 AFC South Standings

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
If we make it out of next week 7-3 then we should start putting our foot on the throat of the rest of the division. That would be a solid lead against everyone and it should motivate the team to play even harder
Forget the division if we beat the Ravens then all the AFC is going to start taking serious notice. Chiefs are looking more and more like the GB has looked for years. A great QB and that’s it and if that QB isn’t perfect they lose.

Pats can never be underestimated as long as BB and Brady are there but seriously their schedule has been an absolute joke. If Watson can be Watson and BoB can not be his own worse enemy then yeah even they may fall.

I better stop talking now before I actually give myself hope.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Since this post the Colts have lost to the Steelers & the Dolphins. Should've lost to the Broncos.

If Brisset doesn't play next week they will lose to the Jags. Even with Brissett they might lose to the Jags.

You cant count on help …. You can count on you helping yourself.

Glad they lost those games but this is far from over - The Texans still have to beat them in the next meeting to slam the door.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Lol to all the people that were claiming the Colts are better than the Texans.
For myself I never said they were better I said they were a more solid/well rounded team. They lost Luck a week before the season started and kept rolling. If that had been Watson we would have been looking at if we were drafting top 5 or top 3. The problem the Colts now have is that they are now on QB 3 which is Hoyer. Yeah we all know what having him at QB is like and they are doing without Hopkins and, at the time, a strong D.

texanhead08

All Pro
For myself I never said they were better I said they were a more solid/well rounded team. They lost Luck a week before the season started and kept rolling. If that had been Watson we would have been looking at if we were drafting top 5 or top 3. The problem the Colts now have is that they are now on QB 3 which is Hoyer. Yeah we all know what having him at QB is like and they are doing without Hopkins and, at the time, a strong D.

We have seen what happens when Watson goes down we lose every week. The Colts lost Luck and kept winning, but even they can't overcome what happens when Hoyer is on the field. I bet Brissett is back by Texans game.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
We have seen what happens when Watson goes down we lose every week. The Colts lost Luck and kept winning, but even they can't overcome what happens when Hoyer is on the field. I bet Brissett is back by Texans game.
You dont believe in McCarron?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I said the Texans were a better team and let one get away that they should have won.

What about it ?
They got Indy'ed

Miami got Indy'ed today but even the refs couldn't help the Colts overcome Hoyerable.

I'm wondering if Hilton/Campbell will be healthy enough to play in a couple of weeks?

The Indy WR's looked slow and had trouble separating today.

Colts on qb 3 and all their top wrs are out plus their top corner.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
You cant count on help …. You can count on you helping yourself.
I'm not counting on help. It is what it is. The NFL season is the longest 17 weeks of the year. Too much changes from week to week.

The Titans were done week before last, now they have life & we still have two games against them.

The Colts were the favorite to win the division. Now I can see them coming in last.

We should have beat them two weeks ago. It would have been better if we had. But now, I don't think that game will have any significance between us & them winning the division.

I still think we'll win 12 games (I know, I know). They'll be lucky to win 9.

Texansballer74

The Marine
True that, but I stand by my belief the Texans are the more talented team. I am worried, though, that's it's a case of bad matchups or being out-coached.

They might not be better but they do have our number as of right now.

Yes sir they out coached us and we just don’t have any answer for Hilton. Talk about a big ash thorn in our side.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Colts have more talent.
It's a subjective statement and I probably won't be able to change your mind... but, look at their games this season. They don't really have any convincing wins this season. Their largest victory was 7 points against us, and two points were gifted from the intentional safety.

eventhough the Colts did beat the Texans, it's hard to argue the Colts have been playing better than the Texans this season. Or do you disagree with that statement as well?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
At this point I'm actually more concerned about the Jags or Titans spoiling things for us. I don't think Texans will lose the division, baring a major injury to a certain player who I will not name or BoB TRYING to get fired, but Jags in particular have an easy schedule with some very winnable games coming up and Foles back in the mix. Likewise the Titans have a bad habit of doing just enough where they don't really help themselves in the standings but somehow manage to rain on our parade and we play them twice from this point forward.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Next 2 games could sum up what the Texans could be worth come the playoffs. At the Ravens and hosting the Colts on prime time. Being ultra competitive in both games will be important, win or lose........but I'd be happy with a competitive 1-1 split.
Better question is would you take 1-2 over the next three, if that one win was against the Colts? I'd have to think long about that one.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Better question is would you take 1-2 over the next three, if that one win was against the Colts? I'd have to think long about that one.
Nope. Want better than another division title. If we cannot beat the big boys, we are not a player. Need a bye in the first round and home field. I don't want to have to hope DW4 carries us three games with two on the road, a lot to ask

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
After their victory over the Patriots, the Texans are again well in control of the AFC South.

The teams records are as follows

Texans 8-4
Titans 7-5
Colts 6-6
Jaguars 4-8

This is what the AFC South looks like

Texans 3-1
Titans 2-2
Colts 3-2
Jaguars 1-4

Broncos @ Texans
The Texans should win this game handily against a much less powerful Broncos at NRG Stadium. After this week the Texans could be sitting at 9-4 on the season and remain at 3-1 in the Division.

Titans @ Raiders
This one likely goes to the Raiders. It should be a close game with the Raiders winning at home. After this week the Titans could be looking at a record of 7-6 over all and still at 2-2 in the division.

Colts @ Buccaneers
The Colts have been shaky as of late but this game should go their way. The Colts could be at 7-6 on the season and still at 3-2 within the division.

Chargers @ Jaguars
Being at home, the Jaguars just might wake up and take this one. After this week, the Jaguars could be at 5-8 on the season and remain at 1-4 in the division.

So after week 14, this is how the records could look.

Texans 9-4
Titans 7-6
Colts 7-6
Jaguars 5-8

The division records won't change since the are no division games this week.

Texans 3-1
Titans 2-2
Colts 3-2
Jaguars 1-4

The Texans control their own destiny at this point with the lead in the AFC South. They just need to keep winning and maintain control of the AFC South division. It's all on the Texans now.

Last edited:

ShinobiMusashi

Waterboy
Finally after 18 years we may get possibly a trilogy of meaningful games with something on the line against the team that was kinda designated as our rival at our inception(aside from maybe the heated 2009 games it was a rivalry that really never materialized). Now we could end up playing the Titans 3 times in the span of 4 weeks if we hold on to the #3 seed and Tennessee gets the final wild card spot. Will be interesting.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Now we could end up playing the Titans 3 times in the span of 4 weeks if we hold on to the #3 seed and Tennessee gets the final wild card spot. Will be interesting.
I think it's going to be hard for us to remain the three seed & Tennessee gets into the playoffs. We'll most likely have to win out to stay ahead of KC. Meaning two more losses for the Titans & that's not counting the Saints game.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I think it's going to be hard for us to remain the three seed & Tennessee gets into the playoffs. We'll most likely have to win out to stay ahead of KC. Meaning two more losses for the Titans & that's not counting the Saints game.
Texans probably have to win the division to make the playoffs

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Titans are a threat. That defense is great and they can run the ball down your throat. Its not over yet.

Uncle Rico

Shhh, that's blasphemy around these parts.

OB just needs another 2 years to get the team up to speed. Although it feels like we're racing with a horse and buggy in a Nascar race.
Its true though. Statistically through 2 years they are about the same in win/loss results. Difference being that OBrien had much more talent to begin with and had more coaching experience. Vrabel is a natural leader and will have a long and prosperous coaching career - I wish we could trade coaches honestly.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Its true though. Statistically through 2 years they are about the same in win/loss results. Difference being that OBrien had much more talent to begin with and had more coaching experience. Vrabel is a natural leader and will have a long and prosperous coaching career - I wish we could trade coaches honestly.
I agree.

I wanted the Texans to let go of OB and just let Vrabel coach. Or get Shanahan, but instead we extended OB.

ShinobiMusashi

Waterboy
I could see it playing out like this: http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine/_/results/401128112~1~401127871~2~401127969~2~401127867~1~401127994~2~401127868~2~401127997~1~401127930~1~401127869~1~4

Whoops looks like I fucked it up I'll have to redo it on my laptop tonight

Titans are a threat. That defense is great and they can run the ball down your throat. Its not over yet.
The Titans defense's best quality is keeping points off the board...only two games this season giving up more than 20 points (and both of those were victories in the Tannehill era).

Tannehill is playing some of the best football in his career.....5-1 as a starter, completing 72.7% of his passes and a passer rating of 113.9. He's very efficient and doesn't have to pass more than 25 passes in a game thanks to the bulldozer of Derrick Henry in the backfield. In the last 16 games, Henry has run for over 1700 yards. His last three games have been for 149+ yards. He's literally dragging guys along with him, or stiff-arming them to the turf. When he gets up a head of steam, no one wants to be in front of that guy. Amazing in the front half of last season that he was playing so badly that word on the street was that we were trying to trade him. After a long "come to Jesus" conversation with Titans legend Eddie George, all that changed. Wow has it changed. And special teams has been playing lights out in recent games....who blocks two field goals in a single NFL game, returning one for a TD?

Still, the Titans can be vulnerable. Pass protection is worse than run protection leading to more sacks for Tannehill. Both Tannehill and Henry have been fumbling the ball in the last few games. And our cornerbacks are very dinged up right now. We were ok with Indy relying on their scrub receivers but I have to be worried about Houston in a couple of weeks.

Uncle Rico

The Titans defense's best quality is keeping points off the board...only two games this season giving up more than 20 points (and both of those were victories in the Tannehill era).

Tannehill is playing some of the best football in his career.....5-1 as a starter, completing 72.7% of his passes and a passer rating of 113.9. He's very efficient and doesn't have to pass more than 25 passes in a game thanks to the bulldozer of Derrick Henry in the backfield. In the last 16 games, Henry has run for over 1700 yards. His last three games have been for 149+ yards. He's literally dragging guys along with him, or stiff-arming them to the turf. When he gets up a head of steam, no one wants to be in front of that guy. Amazing in the front half of last season that he was playing so badly that word on the street was that we were trying to trade him. After a long "come to Jesus" conversation with Titans legend Eddie George, all that changed. Wow has it changed. And special teams has been playing lights out in recent games....who blocks two field goals in a single NFL game, returning one for a TD?

Still, the Titans can be vulnerable. Pass protection is worse than run protection leading to more sacks for Tannehill. Both Tannehill and Henry have been fumbling the ball in the last few games. And our cornerbacks are very dinged up right now. We were ok with Indy relying on their scrub receivers but I have to be worried about Houston in a couple of weeks.
Im a Tannehill fan, maybe because of his A&M roots, but I've always thought he could sling it. Injuries have slowed down his progress some, and some bad coaches have done the rest. He has arm talent, no doubt. Not having the starting TE for you guys doesnt help, and IMO the WR corp for TENN leaves something to be desired considering they've spent a good amount of resources trying to shore up that postion group, still, Tannehill is finding seams and open guys. Our defense sucks. Simple as that, But (HUUUUGE BUT) they can lull you into a false sense of security. RAC has shown me that he's not married to any particular "system" .. he's using what he has, prefers to Shell 4 everything, and run man on the outside he's had to adapt over the weeks (TONS OF ZONE) with all the injuries to most of the secondary. Last night we got back Roby and Lonnie and they were difference makers. It allowed RAC to go back to playing an outside man quarters and sending the extra DBs at times. It confused the hell out of Brady, and it takes alot to confuse that man.

HOU has been one of the better run defense teams up until the injury bug hit. Now the run D is in the lower 3rd of the league. Pass D is bottom 5. Still, the Triple B Defense (Bend, But dont Break) seems to make plays when they need them the most. Nowhere near a strength of the team, it is a unit that can surprise you if you dont prepare.

I like the bookend offensive tackles that TENN has, and Ben Jones being a steadying force as a veteran C. Young guys at the guards causing the pressure? We dont apply much in terms of pass rush with the front 7 so it might be a shootout. YOu guys have a couple games in a row like that no?

If im installing the gameplan vs TENN I'd attack the LBs (I feel that is the weakness on your defense) with the TE/RB passing game. You guys have difference makers on the DL in Casey and Simmons (like the pick) and I'd think running the ball on you guys will be a chore. As you stated, I think the defensive secondary might be the overall strength of the defense. They play really well together and communicate effectively to limit blown coverages and bad plays in general so Deshaun Watson will have to stay patient and not try to force things as he has a bad habit of trying to do.

Will be a couple of crazy games to end the year, hate the way the schedule shook out, but it is what it is. See you guys in a couple of weeks!

Reactions: ROO

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Broncos @ Texans
The Texans should win this game handily against a much less powerful Broncos at NRG Stadium. After this week the Texans could be sitting at 9-4 on the season and remain at 3-1 in the Division.
Agree it should be a win. Not sure how comfortable it will be. After a big, emotional win against the Pats, I could see them coming out flat next week. Texans probably still come out on top, but I think this could be too close for comfort.

Titans @ Raiders
This one likely goes to the Raiders. It should be a close game with the Raiders winning at home. After this week the Titans could be looking at a record of 7-6 over all and still at 2-2 in the division.
Titans have been playing some good football lately. I know we're bragging about beating the Chiefs being one of our signature wins, but the Titans, as well as the Colts, have beat them too. They also destroyed the Jags, and wiped the floor with the Colts.

Raiders are coming off blowout losses to KC and the Jets. This is a coin flipper to me, with maybe a lean towards Tennessee.

Colts @ Buccaneers
The Colts have been shaky as of late but this game should go their way. The Colts could be at 7-6 on the season and still at 3-2 within the division.
Tampa Bay is the 4th highest scoring team in the league. If they start lighting up the scoreboard against the Colts, I don't know if Indy has enough to keep up, unless Winston's turnovers keep them in it.

Chargers @ Jaguars
Being at home, the Jaguars just might wake up and take this one. After this week, the Jaguars could be at 5-8 on the season and remain at 1-4 in the division.
I think the Jags are done. And I don't know why they'd wake up at home when there will be more tarps than fans.

The Chargers are about the unluckiest team I've ever seen. Week after week they just keep finding new ways pull defeat from the jaws of victory. I think the Chargers find a way to not screw it up against the Jags.

I think the standings are more likely to look like this after next week:

Texans 9-4
Titans 8-5
Colts 6-7
Jaguars 4-9

BattleBull

Practice Squad
The Titans defense's best quality is keeping points off the board...only two games this season giving up more than 20 points (and both of those were victories)
How has Simmons looked @Sevenfeet? I thought he was the first d-lineman off the board before the injury and it’s surprising to me that he’s already back from it.

Im a Tannehill fan, maybe because of his A&M roots, but I've always thought he could sling it. Injuries have slowed down his progress some, and some bad coaches have done the rest. He has arm talent, no doubt. Not having the starting TE for you guys doesnt help, and IMO the WR corp for TENN leaves something to be desired considering they've spent a good amount of resources trying to shore up that postion group, still, Tannehill is finding seams and open guys. Our defense sucks. Simple as that, But (HUUUUGE BUT) they can lull you into a false sense of security. RAC has shown me that he's not married to any particular "system" .. he's using what he has, prefers to Shell 4 everything, and run man on the outside he's had to adapt over the weeks (TONS OF ZONE) with all the injuries to most of the secondary. Last night we got back Roby and Lonnie and they were difference makers. It allowed RAC to go back to playing an outside man quarters and sending the extra DBs at times. It confused the hell out of Brady, and it takes alot to confuse that man.

HOU has been one of the better run defense teams up until the injury bug hit. Now the run D is in the lower 3rd of the league. Pass D is bottom 5. Still, the Triple B Defense (Bend, But dont Break) seems to make plays when they need them the most. Nowhere near a strength of the team, it is a unit that can surprise you if you dont prepare.

I like the bookend offensive tackles that TENN has, and Ben Jones being a steadying force as a veteran C. Young guys at the guards causing the pressure? We dont apply much in terms of pass rush with the front 7 so it might be a shootout. YOu guys have a couple games in a row like that no?

If im installing the gameplan vs TENN I'd attack the LBs (I feel that is the weakness on your defense) with the TE/RB passing game. You guys have difference makers on the DL in Casey and Simmons (like the pick) and I'd think running the ball on you guys will be a chore. As you stated, I think the defensive secondary might be the overall strength of the defense. They play really well together and communicate effectively to limit blown coverages and bad plays in general so Deshaun Watson will have to stay patient and not try to force things as he has a bad habit of trying to do.

Will be a couple of crazy games to end the year, hate the way the schedule shook out, but it is what it is. See you guys in a couple of weeks!
Our bookend tackles have been hit and miss this year. An enormous amount of talent yes, but we've seen better out of them. Jack Conklin on the right side began his rookie career as an All-Pro, then got injured last year (ACL) and then this year has been a long road back, and he's not been as great as his potential. Taylor Lewan on the left side was playing extremely well, got his second contract money, and then blew all fan and coaching staff goodwill by getting caught with PEDs in his system and got benched four games to begin the season. Then when he came back, he got two holding calls back to back on the same drive and a 15 yard personal foul in a loss to the Bills. Thankfully he's been better since, a lot better yesterday. He was directly responsible for springing Henry on the 4th-and-1 that led to a 13 yard touchdown run.

Ben Jones has been really good and got rewarded this year with a new contract. The guards have been a big problem. We signed veteran Roger Saffold who spent the first 6 games being a veritable turnstyle. Kevin Pamphile was supposed to be on the right guard side and he re-injured his knee that kept him out of most of last season. That put rookie Nate Davis on the line who was NOT READY by any stretch. No wonder Mariota was seeing ghosts. But the line is playing better but not as good as the Colts line. Pamphile might actually be back next week so we'll see.

As for the rest of the offense, go-to old reliable TE Delanie Walker went to IR last week but Jonnu Smith has been playing well all year.

As for our linebackers, veteran Cameron Wake went on IR last week so 2nd year Reggie Gilbert had to step up. Jayon Brown is a better player on the other side but Houston will be a real test.

How has Simmons looked @Sevenfeet? I thought he was the first d-lineman off the board before the injury and it’s surprising to me that he’s already back from it.
What's crazy about Simmons is the upside. He's a huge man-child. Freakish physical stature. But he was a bit of a risk at draft time. We were drafting a kid fresh from ACL surgery in January and no one knew if he'd even be available this year. And he had a domestic violence issue when he was a freshman. But a lot of people personally vouched for him and ultimately Amy Strunk, the Titans controlling owner made that decision. At that point, Simmons worked on his injury and once the season began, word started coming out that he might be available mid-season, at the earliest point you can come back from an injury like this. He was activate after just one week of full practice. And he's never looked back. There's a video going around on Twitter of the Colts game of him just running over All-Pro guard Quenton Nelson off the snap. He's only been credited with one sack so far but you have to account for him right now. Just imagine that guy in a year with some more experience and feeling better about his knee.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
As much shite as the AFC South has taken since the realignment.....I can't remember a single season where the division winner had a .500 or sub .500 record at season end. There's a very good chance the NFC East could achieve this with no problem. The NFC East is a true dumpster fire that stole the torch from the AFC South's mantle..

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
As much shite as the AFC South has taken since the realignment.....I can't remember a single season where the division winner had a .500 or sub .500 record at season end. There's a very good chance the NFC East could achieve this with no problem. The NFC East is a true dumpster fire that stole the torch from the AFC South's mantle..
But what about all the history and nostalgia?!?

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Seattle won the NFC West in 2010 with a 7-9 record. Then beat the 11-5 Saints in the 1st round.