Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Close the Deal for Schaub: confirmed by NFLNetwork

so? A QB with 75 starts and 3 wins with a combined 2+ TD's combined with 201+ yards passing in the same game. This happened 3 times in 75 games. Three. I'll go with the Schaub.
:) i'm just trying to poop on everyone's party. believe me, i'm as glad as any texans fan that we have a new qb.

steve young, brett favre, matt hasseelback etc etc

dude you're a carr homer we get it but dont be all doom and gloom before you see him play

Don't forget Brady was a backup till Bledsoe got hurt... cough...cough

I think the main thing here is this is Kubiak's guy now. Not someone he inherited after taking over. It'll be interesting to see what Kubiak can do with a QB that he brought in himself.

so many options of shanked 2nd rounders...we might be doing ourselves a favor

Hey whatever happened to your "IN THE KNOW" arguments early this offseason i distinctly remember you stating that Carr was going nowhere and all that garbage. Wow you really are in the know. What else are the Texans gonna do? I hope you "KNOW" because obviously you are "IN THE KNOW"

Who really cares about who said what in the past. Heck, I'll bet Kubiak and Smith didn't think they would be making this move three weeks ago!

The more pressing question is why are we trading away picks - going against our statements that we need more picks to fill holes? I am really confused by this move and can only hope that there is more to it that we simply don't see...

The more pressing question is why are we trading away picks - going against our statements that we need more picks to fill holes? I am really confused by this move and can only hope that there is more to eat that we simply don't see...
i've been wondering about that too... our FO has been fairly tight-lipped so far, so i guess we wait and see.

Just let it go Carr Bomb, point of fact is you really don't know that you could have done any better than Carr. You have never been in that situation.

Are you saying that you have to play at an NFL level to understand the game and analyze players?

Hmmm, better tell that to Charlie Weiss then! :ok:

You've never been in that situation, either. So why is your opinion expert over anyone else's around here?

People who don't like DC can't really say it is because he is a crappy QB.

Wha.....? :um: drugs are bad, mmm'kay

The more pressing question is why are we trading away picks - going against our statements that we need more picks to fill holes? I am really confused by this move and can only hope that there is more to eat that we simply don't see...

I think that we will see a pick or picks coming back to us in a Carr deal to Oakland.

Hulk is pretty sure that there is one all but signed just pending us getting a veteran QB to start ie Schaub. (from the Carr to Oakland thread)

I think that we will see a pick or picks coming back to us in a Carr deal to Oakland.

Hulk is pretty sure that there is one all but signed just pending us getting a veteran QB to start ie Schaub. (from the Carr to Oakland thread)

Kiwi,

I think the best we can hope for is a fourth rounder and at that pick you aren't guaranteed a starter like you SHOULD expect from a 2nd...

Schaub, a restricted free agent

Should the deal go through, as is expected, the Falcons would move up two notches to No. 8 in this April's NFL draft and receive Houston's second-round draft pick in each of the next two seasons.

Are you f-ing kidding me? Am I the only one here who thinks this move is idiotic? Even Charley Casserly is laughing at this! Your second round picks make or break your team and we gave up 2 of them? We of all people should know that by now. Have the past 5 years taught us nothing?

I love the way we justify this crap decision by saying we just gave up Jabar Gaffney plus Tony Hollins. This should go without saying, but I guess I have to spell it out "Tony Hollins isn't what you should expect with a second round pick!" If it is, you have resigned yourself to losing for all eternity. We just gave up Demeco Ryans and Charles Spencer. Now how does that taste?

I can't wait to see Adrian Peterson or LaRon Landry available at the 8th spot. That will be a special feeling when they get taken.

Here's another one I love to hear. "If we get a second round pick for Carr, we only gave up one pick". First of all we're not getting a second round pick for Carr. Second of all, even if we did it doesn't make up for this stupid move!

Are you f-ing kidding me? Am I the only one here who thinks this move is idiotic? Even Charley Casserly is laughing at this! Your second round picks make or break your team and we gave up 2 of them? We of all people should know that by now. Have the past 5 years taught us nothing?

I love the way we justify this crap decision by saying we just gave up Jabar Gaffney plus Tony Hollins. This should go without saying, but I guess I have to spell it out "Tony Hollins isn't what you should expect with a second round pick!" If it is, you have resigned yourself to losing for all eternity. We just gave up Demeco Ryans and Charles Spencer. Now how does that taste?

I can't wait to see Adrian Peterson or LaRon Landry available at the 8th spot. That will be a special feeling when they get taken.

Here's another one I love to hear. "If we get a second round pick for Carr, we only gave up one pick". First of all we're not getting a second round pick for Carr. Second of all, even if we did it doesn't make up for this stupid move!

spencer was a 3rd

to my knowledge, we've had 5 2nd round picks...and 4 of them have stunk. Lets not overreact

Tony Hollings
Phillip Buchanon
Jabar Gaffney
Bennie Joppru

i think it would be fair to call demeco the exception rather than the rule.

to my knowledge, we've had 5 2nd round picks...and 4 of them have stunk. Lets not overreact

Tony Hollings
Phillip Buchanon
Jabar Gaffney
Bennie Joppru

You're making my point for me.

Do you not see the connection between the wasted second round picks and the 5 consecutive losing seasons?

You're making my point for me.

Do you not see the connection between the wasted second round picks and the 5 consecutive losing seasons?

I see the connection between carr and 5 losings seasons...and i see that tie being severed. Thats my point. Addition by subtraction...live it, love it, embrace it.

Many might disagree, but looking at the Texans moves this offseason has put me in mind of the 2003 Panthers.

The Panthers had drafted a young defensive end they year before, already had a quality young linebacker for their defense. It should be noted they arguably had better talent on defense ( and overall for that matter) that these current Texans, but there might be a comparison to be made.

In 2003, the Panthers had a second year head coach, John Fox. And on offense they made a couple of notable moves. One they acquired a highly thought of backup QB. Sure the Texans "paid" more for Schaub than the Panthers did for Delhomme, but I think Schaub has more upside. Secondly, signed a former Pro Bowl running back. Lastly, they picked 10th in that year's draft, a pick they used on an offensive tackle: Jordan Gross.

So, in following the Panther model, the Texans are only lacking a rookie offensive tackle. Of course, we could consider that "rookie" to be Charles Spencer, presuming he comes back, since he only played what 3 games last season.

Alyways look for the bright side when it comes to a losing team trying to climb out of the cellar.

Texans in '07!!

That's what kills me about this move. I'm so disappointed in Rick Smith I could choke him! This move set us back a couple of more years.

you know man it only sets us back a few more years if schaub doesn't pan out...what if he turns out to be just what kubiak thinks he is...a pro bowl QB who has been riding the pine far too long...what if next year he makes all of us forget about david carr and does so well that andre is able to have a career year...i know it's a lot of what if's but us as fans can't be stuck in the end of the world mold that every decision is inheritatly a bad one...at some point we can't become the red sox fans or the eagle fans in phili

I have to admit, reading all these post are certainly entertaining. I have to remind myself that an "expert" is simply a "former pert". Armed with that knowledge, it makes more sense.... and hightens the entertainment.

The truth is, no one (not even the experts on this board), Kubiak, Smith, or McNair know whether Schaub is worth the payment or not. You just have to assume that they did their homework, formulated a plan, and pulled the trigger. You also have to assume that they want what's best for the Texans franchise.

However, time will tell. If Schaub turns out to be another Tom Brady....then it becomes a "brilliant" move. If he turns out to be another David Carr, then what ever they paid for him is too much.

However, since Kubiak and Smith are running the show, and I do want to trust and believe that they might know what they are doing, I'm inclinded to wait and see before I pronounce judgement.

Either way, I will support Schaub and hope he's the next Tom Brady. We can't do much worse than the last 5 years. Do I like spending the cost for the move? No, but when you are purchasing anything that you have never tried before, it is a gamble.

I would hope that Kubiak, not only being an ex quarterback, but also putting his livelyhood on the line, would have to believe that Schaub (even with his cost) is worth the risk.

I, for one, will be interested to see if he is worth it. Until then, I will just have to entertain myself with reading all the posts from our local former perts.

I am not one to critique the teams moves normally. I just like reading the opinions of others. I hope this works out but Like most native Texans I invest a lot of emotion in to my teams and was continually dissapointed by the Oilers. I do not agree with this deal and would of desired to build the team through the draft. That said I will not look forward to this draft and will focus more on my college team. I simply don't undestand the logic but they are, as I'm sure wiser than I ever will be. I wish the team well bt it seems like Deja Vu.

I just got the news and i must admit it will be days/months before i know Carr is not a TEXAN anymore. Mann, i'm sure gonna miss this guy and it's gonna be hard to get over this, does anyone else feel my PAIN?

OK, I'm over it now and i'm pretty DAMN excited about this team. This is anew era and its called GARY "MF" KUBIAK. I luv what what him and smith are doing, these guys are committed to winning, screw some damn feelings, its all bout winning product on the field. Honestly, Schaub got game and he been waiting to display it for along time and Kubes gonna show him how. MANN U GOTTA LUV THE POSSIBILITIES OF THIS YOUNG TEAM WITHOUT CASSERLY/CAPERS REJECTS.:superman:

spencer was a 3rd

Tony Hollings
Phillip Buchanon
Jabar Gaffney
Bennie Joppru

i think it would be fair to call demeco the exception rather than the rule.

Chester Pitts

I am; however, in favor of this move. I do hate to give up those picks...

Many might disagree, but looking at the Texans moves this offseason has put me in mind of the 2003 Panthers.

The Panthers had drafted a young defensive end they year before, already had a quality young linebacker for their defense. It should be noted they arguably had better talent on defense ( and overall for that matter) that these current Texans, but there might be a comparison to be made.

In 2003, the Panthers had a second year head coach, John Fox. And on offense they made a couple of notable moves. One they acquired a highly thought of backup QB. Sure the Texans "paid" more for Schaub than the Panthers did for Delhomme, but I think Schaub has more upside. Secondly, signed a former Pro Bowl running back. Lastly, they picked 10th in that year's draft, a pick they used on an offensive tackle: Jordan Gross.

So, in following the Panther model, the Texans are only lacking a rookie offensive tackle. Of course, we could consider that "rookie" to be Charles Spencer, presuming he comes back, since he only played what 3 games last season.

Alyways look for the bright side when it comes to a losing team trying to climb out of the cellar.

Texans in '07!!

How do you know this stuff??

Chester Pitts

I am; however, in favor of this move. I do hate to give up those picks...

I was listening to 610 on the way home and they said if it will make you feel better just think of those two picks as losing Jabar Gaffney and Tony Hollings.

Believe it or not that really did make me feel better.

It is a beautiful day may fellow Texans fans.

Did we overpay for Schaub? Maybe, but not significantly.
Did Carr’s minimal trade value just decrease? Probably.

I am hopeful, very hopeful. It is nice to see a coach & front office see and admit their mistake. Instead of trying to slam a square peg (keeping Carr) into a round hole, the Texans are finally moving forward.

It is a beautiful day.

good pickup for the texans since i think schaub will be a better qb than carr..now hopefully we can trade carr off for a 1st round pick and hopefully the raiders will want him

How do you know this stuff??

Well, the Panthers were the story of the year in 2003. They were a "surprise" team that year, though they were 7-9 the two previous seasons, so they could be labeled underacheivers, much like the Saints till this year. Maybe the Texans fit that mold. The Panthers picked right after the Texans in '02, and we all debated about the merits of Peppers before taking Carr. I knew they had Dan Morgan. And again in '03 everyone had the Texans taking Jordan Gross until just before the draft. Thank the Lord for 'Dre. The Texans were also interested in Stephen Davis when he was a free agent since Charley drafted him in Washington. So, looking back at the moves the Panthers made then and comparing them with the moves the Texans are making now, I hope they can acheive even a measure of the success the Panters did.

So, we got Schaub for trading our 1st and their 1st plus our 2nd rd and next year's 2nd to Falcons. And, we still have Carr. If we can trade Carr to let say Oakland for their 3rd.(which is almost like late 2nd rd.), we are actually giving up only next year's 2nd rd. for Schaub which isn't too bad of a deal IMO. I don't know if trading Carr can provide us with 3rd or better, but at least we are getting legit starting QB.

GO TEXANS!!

I have a question? Does this remind anyone of what happend to Steve Young in Tampa. First, he set NFL records for being sacked(until David Carr) he was replaced through a trade and summarily cut. (like David Carr) He then went to a better team with an O-line and the right system and well the rest is history. David Carr will most likely be cut, He then can sign with the team of his choice(according to NFL network Minnesota). Imagine DC in a Viking jersey protected by Hutchinson and a very good line in a bad division. HMMmm stop me if you have heard that one before.(Young, Favre) Oh and speaking of Favre. Are we texan fans praying that this deal is a repeat of that one? Or is it AJ Feely x 10? I for one believe that lightning strikes twice, and I am hoping it is not elsewhere. however being a houston football fan since i was a kid( Oilers now Texans) I can say my hope in Schaub being another Favre or Brady is low.

Go Texans, the cowboy fans(bandwagonners) have what they want now. May God have mercy on us all ,please do not let us see David Carr in the superbowl for the Vikings.

Quick; name one Falcons backup QB that has been traded for a 1st round pick.

tick

toc

tick

toc

Brett Farve, 1992.

I have a question? Does this remind anyone of what happend to Steve Young in Tampa. First, he set NFL records for being sacked(until David Carr) he was replaced through a trade and summarily cut. (like David Carr) He then went to a better team with an O-line and the right system and well the rest is history. David Carr will most likely be cut, He then can sign with the team of his choice(according to NFL network Minnesota). Imagine DC in a Viking jersey protected by Hutchinson and a very good line in a bad division. HMMmm stop me if you have heard that one before.(Young, Favre) Oh and speaking of Favre. Are we texan fans praying that this deal is a repeat of that one? Or is it AJ Feely x 10? I for one believe that lightning strikes twice, and I am hoping it is not elsewhere. however being a houston football fan since i was a kid( Oilers now Texans) I can say my hope in Schaub being another Favre or Brady is low.

Go Texans, the cowboy fans(bandwagonners) have what they want now. May God have mercy on us all ,please do not let us see David Carr in the superbowl for the Vikings.

First off, I would like to personally thank Rick Smith for WOW'ing the fan base with this move. I feel move is a great move to inject hope in the franchise. But foremost I hope it comes to fruition.

Now to this post........... Are you f'n kidding me? I have never heard the comparison of Steve Young to David Carr. I tell you what, give me a bit of that ganja you puffing. Look we are all speculating at this point about any QB on this team (in coming/ out going), that's part of the fun. Can I make a brief suggestion? (I'll bet you're saying no, so I'll make it anyway) Channel your expectations for Carr, it's over for him here. Move on like the franchise has.

In Kubiak We Trust.

If you buy that then from all accounts I am seeing, Kubiak sees something in Schaub that makes the trade worth the picks we are giving up.

A little speculation here on what the Front Office might be thinking... Considering the sins of the past and what it has done to us in cap room, we still have beefed up the lines and linebackers somewhat through Free Agency. The biggest remaining needs are probably the secondary, a legit deep threat opposite AJ and maybe a center. The draft class this year does seem to be deep in CBs, safties, and WRs if you can believe the "experts".
Carr and a late round pick MIGHT get us a second round from someone, especially since the available QB talent is thin. (Who was it that wanted Plummer this year??)

Wouldn't it be funny if Atlanta got so deparate for a backup to Vick that they trade us back our 2nd for Carr and a 6'th round pick? Yeah, right.

Congrat to the Texans. I think you guys finally have a QB!!!
I had dreamed that my Dolphins would eventually get him, but I'm happy for you guys!

This guy has some major talent! ...and he's still very young. Lots of upside here.

Shaub is a big, tall kid with an arm that can make every single pass in the book, looks very good while under pressure and has enogh good footwork to slide in the pocket and get his passes off. He doesn't seem to panic at all and the game doesn't look too big for him.

Until he's sacked a couple of hundred times and he starts looking just like Carr. Fix the freaking O-line then worry about bringing in another QB. 2 more 2nd round draft picks have just been wasted.:wheel:

Until he's sacked a couple of hundred times and he starts looking just like Carr. Fix the freaking O-line then worry about bringing in another QB. 2 more 2nd round draft picks have just been wasted.:wheel:

So would a tackle at the #10 spot make you happy?

Everybody has been calling for a change at QB and then when it happens they are not happy. You can't have your cake and eat it too. So why don't all of you criers and whinners just shut the **** up. IMHO

I believe we'd have given up 15 less sacks if David wasn't our QB. That would put us with 28 sacks on the year. That's not bad.

& I think I'm being conservative.

That sliding in the pocket thing Vinny was talking about... that's going to help prevent that getting sacked a couple of hundred times in a short amount of time.

Fix the O-Line? When heathly they're a good enough group to do the job.. It's hard protecting a QB that sacks himself..

People blaiming the O-Line is a joke..

So what about trading down and taking Nelson? Maybe pick up another pick by trading down again? Is there value in that?

I hope you boys and girls are happy if this deal goes down. From what I saw on ESPN, we're swapping '07 1st rounders and sending '07 AND '08 2nd rounders to Atlanta. WAY too high a price for me to swallow. IMHO, this is much worse than dealing with Carr next year and really makes me question the confidence I had in Rick Smith and Kubes. Schaub MIGHT end up being the real deal, but his stat line sure doesn't show it. I wonder if Casserly was paying McNair a visit and spiked Smith's drink.
:drunk:

I'm sorry, but I don't know how to link a site, but on 2007 scout.com under Free Agents, Matt Schaub is the only QB with a 5 star rating. The second place QB is Jeff Garcia with a 3 star rating. There are a few 2 star rated QB's, and the rest are 1 star. (For what it's worth)

If someone will tell me how to link, I will be happy to do it.

I'm sorry, but I don't know how to link a site, but on 2007 scout.com under Free Agents, Matt Schaub is the only QB with a 5 star rating. The second place QB is Jeff Garcia with a 3 star rating. There are a few 2 star rated QB's, and the rest are 1 star. (For what it's worth)

Schaub Profile, link

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=211&p=9&c=12&yr=2007&nid=83&lnid=83&rc=16&pid=10

There you go. I hope he lives up to the expectations.

This makes NO freaking sense to me at all!!!!!

Because:

1)Kubiaks main knock on Carr is that he is too inconsistent with his play. Well what has Schaub done consistently other than sit on the bench watching Vick run around?

2) Whoah, whoah, whoah, there just wait a second Mr.Smith. Didn't you say we were looking to gain draft picks this off season in order to fill the many holes on this lackluster roster of young under achievers and old folks.

Seriously though, why the hell are the Texans making this move? We need more than just a QB, we need OL(2) DL, FS, CB, WR2!!! And it's usually nice to be able to find guys who can fill those holes for multiple years in the second round. But wait we're going to give away our 2nd rd picks for two years and flip flop our first for a completely unproven QB? That's GENIUS Rick!!!

Why the *#@% is Schaub even worth this much? Because Atlanta thinks so and has hyped him up to everyone? They've been basically just waiting for someone to screw over with this guy. Is'nt he supposed to be a free agent next year anyway? Just wait a year why don't ya?
The mystical almighty 3 year bench warmer is going to come save our franchise from the evil David Carr huh? My arse!!!!

I want a change of scenery at our QB position as much as the next guy, but not for this price tag. Not on some dude who happens to be the "BEST" backup QB in the league according to .....what? NOTHING!!!!!

I hope this deal dies and goes to hell immediately!!!!

To my Fellow Texan fans:

Okay here we go again, yes it would be nice, cool and all that good stuff if we get Schaub. Now here's the catch....... he still would be attacked because of the O-line now I know here we go again. But hear me out seriously IF we do not address this line problem that we've been having since Day 1. Guess what, it's going to be like Carr all over again, maybe a lil bit better maybe not.

Fact of the matter is, if we are dishing out more money or a butt-load of draft picks for Schaub, it's not worth it because we would be in the same scenario as we are now with no money to spend and stuck with Carr. IF we actually DO get Schaub for cheap and a low draft pick, it's all to the good, but if we don't well it'll be back like we are now.

i LOVE matt schaub. he's a franchise quarterback. i had him in the class with ben roethlisberger and philip rivers coming out of college. top 10 talent, had an injury that hurt his stock a ton. he's going to be an excellent excellent quarterback. he's a STEAL for what you gave up for him. i'm so jealous.

Back