Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Close the Deal for Schaub: confirmed by NFLNetwork

I hope you boys and girls are happy if this deal goes down. From what I saw on ESPN, we're swapping '07 1st rounders and sending '07 AND '08 2nd rounders to Atlanta. WAY too high a price for me to swallow. IMHO, this is much worse than dealing with Carr next year and really makes me question the confidence I had in Rick Smith and Kubes. Schaub MIGHT end up being the real deal, but his stat line sure doesn't show it. I wonder if Casserly was paying McNair a visit and spiked Smith's drink.
:drunk:

It's like drafting Brady Quinn with a second round pick, how can you be upset?? We only slid back 2 spots, and we pick up the best QB FA this offseason, He's a better prospect than all the QBs in the freak'n draft, and we got him for our 2nd round pick.

We'll get a few more picks to replace next years second, don't worry about that.

People are exaggerating on our O-Line. When healthy, we actually are not that bad. Can they help it that their QB slips and falls on his butt every other play? How about holding the ball for ten seconds?

Fix the O-Line? When heathly they're a good enough group to do the job.. It's hard protecting a QB that sacks himself..
People blaiming the O-Line is a joke..

Oh I thought that was a joke...I laughed.

In the beginning of last season when our line was'nt completely devestated yet Carr was playing pretty darn good imo. Then he sucked for a long time with three back-ups starting on the line. Coincidence?... I think not.

Alls i'm sayin is EFF Schaub over the Texans future!!

This makes NO freaking sense to me at all!!!!!

Because:

1)Kubiaks main knock on Carr is that he is too inconsistent with his play. Well what has Schaub done consistently other than sit on the bench watching Vick run around?

2) Whoah, whoah, whoah, there just wait a second Mr.Smith. Didn't you say we were looking to gain draft picks this off season in order to fill the many holes on this lackluster roster of young under achievers and old folks.

Seriously though, why the hell are the Texans making this move? We need more than just a QB, we need OL(2) DL, FS, CB, WR2!!! And it's usually nice to be able to find guys who can fill those holes for multiple years in the second round. But wait we're going to give away our 2nd rd picks for two years and flip flop our first for a completely unproven QB? That's GENIUS Rick!!!

Why the *#@% is Schaub even worth this much? Because Atlanta thinks so and has hyped him up to everyone? They've been basically just waiting for someone to screw over with this guy. Is'nt he supposed to be a free agent next year anyway? Just wait a year why don't ya?
The mystical almighty 3 year bench warmer is going to come save our franchise from the evil David Carr huh? My arse!!!!

I want a change of scenery at our QB position as much as the next guy, but not for this price tag. Not on some dude who happens to be the "BEST" backup QB in the league according to .....what? NOTHING!!!!!

I hope this deal dies and goes to hell immediately!!!!

I have a few questions. What would you expect to pay for a starting QB? And who are you going to get? And at what bargain price. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a starting QB is probably this highest priced commodity in the NFL. If not, who is?

indeed, franchise QB's aren't lying around. if you want one, you'll have to pay a little bit to get him. considering what you're giving up, it's a steal.

Why is he so highly valued? Where is all this potential coming from?

He has done little to nothing in the NFL regular season. He has looked good in preseason and Training camp, but everyone knows that means nothing (see our entire team last year).

He was drafted 3 years ago, 3rd round 27th pick. Thats not early. Thts practically a 4th round pick.

So why is a 3rd round draft choice who has 2 regular season game experiences being sought after like he's the next Steve Young/Brett Favre?

I agree that I think hes an upgrade over Carr, and I like the trade if only because I think I'm glad Carr is done, but seriously, why has a former 3rd round 27th pick suddently turned into:
2 2nd rounds and 2 spots in the 1st? Thats a huge difference. Its the equivelent of a mid 1st round choice.

The falcons turned a LATE 3rd rounder into a mid 1st rounder in terms of picks used. And my question is: Why?

If he is even decent, I think the deal's a steal and an improvement over Carr. If he's terrible...Well, there have been worse deals. Especially in our history.

i hate the trade.... 2 2nd round picks... two potenital Demeco Ryans for a unproven backup? I dont know what to say now..

that and Carr has no value now cause ppl know u are looking to get rid of him.. so instead of makeing teams offering you, you have to offer to the other team

It's like drafting Brady Quinn with a second round pick, how can you be upset?? We only slid back 2 spots, and we pick up the best QB FA this offseason, He's a better prospect than all the QBs in the freak'n draft, and we got him for our 2nd round pick.

We'll get a few more picks to replace next years second, don't worry about that.
So we could draft Quinn in '07 AND '08?? Those are the draft picks I hear we're giving up for a QB not named Carr. That's the only thing that matters to a lot of posters on here. I don't know a ton about him, but this smacks of a Casserly/Capers reach to me. Kinda like Babin, T.Johnson,P-Burnt, Hollings, etc...I wish I could get a card game going with our FO, cuz they don't know when to hold 'em. I could go with 1 first day pick, not 2. The dude better go Peyton Manning all over the NFL next year. I keep seeing Sharper and Glenn riding off into the sunset while we just sit on our collective thumbs and rock back and get no compensation cuz our FO THEN were dumb***** too!

i think he'll do a great job. very smart, very heady, great leader, good arm, very accurate, perfect mechanics...expecting big things.

I am a football fan, not a football mastermind, so I'd love to hear the dialogue on this subject as well.

We have many resident football geniuses on this board, and I'd love to hear their input.

I don't know enough about him to know if what we gave up is worth what we are getting in return, but my brain is waiting to learn!

Because the NFL is so QB poor right now. Think about it. There are probanly less than 10 teams in the league that are perfectly happy with their QB situation right now. Houston is not one of them even with Schaub.

The Texan's QB situation falls squarely on McNair's shoulders. Last year was the year to cut their losses with #8 and grab one in the draft.

However, McNair just couldn't bring himself to do it.

I have to admit though. During the first 6 games of last year, I thought Carr was showing some signs of improvement. Then the O line injuries hit and he fell back to 2004 form.

indeed, franchise QB's aren't lying around. if you want one, you'll have to pay a little bit to get him. considering what you're giving up, it's a steal.

I hope you're right, but what your saying about the Schaub deal is not consistent with what talking heads (like us) are saying on other boards tonight. I suppose time will tell. If we are 8-8 or better, I'd believe!

here's why:

A) he was a 1st round prospect in college. he was injured his senior year and as a result, dropped to the 3rd round. everyone looked at him as a franchise guy, but he just dropped due to the injury. see: kellen clemens last year. first round guy, but injury pushed him back. the jets look at clemens as their QB of the future.

B) he's looked EXCELLENT in preseason. he's looked GOOD in the regular season. when you consider how little he's actually played in the NFL, and how he's playing in an offense designed for a left-handed running quarterback, i'd say he's looked pretty damn impressive.

C) good arm, very accurate, smart, good decision-maker, very heady, a great leader...

D) he's young.

why is he valued so high? because great young quarterbacks with tons of potential aren't just lying around waiting to be scooped up by anyone.

Why is he so highly valued? Where is all this potential coming from?

He has done little to nothing in the NFL regular season. He has looked good in preseason and Training camp, but everyone knows that means nothing (see our entire team last year).

He was drafted 3 years ago, 3rd round 27th pick. Thats not early. Thts practically a 4th round pick.

So why is a 3rd round draft choice who has 2 regular season game experiences being sought after like he's the next Steve Young/Brett Favre?

I agree that I think hes an upgrade over Carr, and I like the trade if only because I think I'm glad Carr is done, but seriously, why has a former 3rd round 27th pick suddently turned into:
2 2nd rounds and 2 spots in the 1st? Thats a huge difference. Its the equivelent of a mid 1st round choice.

The falcons turned a LATE 3rd rounder into a mid 1st rounder in terms of picks used. And my question is: Why?

QB is the most important position on the field.

i hate the trade.... 2 2nd round picks... two potenital Demeco Ryans for a unproven backup? I dont know what to say now..

that and Carr has no value now cause ppl know u are looking to get rid of him.. so instead of makeing teams offering you, you have to offer to the other team

Dude, teams don't want him even before this trade.. Carr isn't worth the money he's getting.. This franchise made the mistake of giving him max dollars when they could've signed him for a year or two..

Honestly, why would you want Carr and his contract if your a GM of an NFL team? The only team that needs a QB is Oakland but they have a good Draft pick and can even get a QB in the 2nd round better than Carr and his contract..

i think it's funny...this board has had some amusing threads in the past but this has to be up there in the top 3 all time...you wanted a new QB we got one...you were tired of older veteran players well he's a younger guy...your tired of seeing david carr sacked because he's watching the pass rush instead of the recievers...well here's some fresh blood for the team

i agree it can be frustrating with the draft so close...everyone has their players picked out that they want to us to pick up...i too had about three guys i wanted to see us pick up in round 2 but it's not gonna happen...so everyone just take a deep breath in...let it out...and relax...this kids future is unwritten...kubiak picked this kid for a reason...how about we see what the kid has before we start preparing for the end of world

the o-line isn't that bad as it seemed last year...remember with carr being sacked almost a 3 times a game he was looking for the rush before he was looking down field...that's why we started dumbing down the offense for him

we have our runningbacks set...our young TE is promising...we have freaking ANDRE JOHNSON the friggin best WR in the NFL

he has the tools...he has the players...let's see what this team can do now

Gonna take a lot more than a backup QB to do that. We have 3 on our roster right now!!!!! Two 2nd round picks would go a long way toward helping us win. See also Demeco Ryans.

<cough>Brett Favre<cough> Not saying he's the next Brett but he was playing behind a QB that gets alot of money.. Come on and put 2 and 2 together next time. You think any team is going to have the highest paid QB (I think he is) play backup?

You know I just saw a highlight of him standing tall in the pocket while it was collapsing. He just did a subtle move to his left and delivered a strike to his receiver. After seeing that one highlight I felt excited that we will have a qb who knows what to do when the pocket is crumbling. Welcome to Houston Matt Schaub!

Yeah, Gaffney really stunk it up in the AFC Championship Game. Read some of my other rants on some of our questionable draft picks made by the former regime.

He stunk enough so that they went out and got 2 new receivers to replace him.

Not real sure G.

Supposedly he is real good. From some of the ATL fans...it seems like he should be starting in ATL. maybe he should maybe he shouldn't i dont know.

I think the situation in ATL is difficult. They've pretty much screwed themselves with michael vick. I don't know a lot about their team but he doesn't seem like the answer. my guess is that they'd prefer to trade Vick (for a lot) and start schaub. The problem is with Vick's contract...he's practically impossible to trade or get rid of...so they are stuck with him.

It'd be interesting if it's like say a kevin kolb situation...i don't know much about either player but just hear me on the principle. Kolb could be a late 3rd rd pick like schaub was...he'd be sitting here for probably 2 years w/ some game experience. People may be saying he's really good and all. Now PRETEND Carr was a little better. and had like 5 years left on his contract at like $10 mill a year...we couldn't hardly trade carr because it'd cost US too much...so kolb just conitinued to sit. maybe we'd rather kolb start but seems like we're doomed with carr's contract and spending that money for a backup?

probably WAY off on that one..sounded better in my head...lol.

I would assume that a deal with Carr (maybe to oakland) is pretty near complete. and that we wouldn't do that untill this schaub deal went through. I can't wait to find out what we get for Carr. Speculation is all over the place..but i'd rather see a pick next year than this year...and here's why.

we're not getting a 2nd this year. MAYBE a 3rd but oaklands 3rd rder is basically a late 2nd. i think oakland would be more willing to give us a pick next year than this year...IMO oakland will be much improved and have a later pick than 1. say they value carr as a 3rd now..but think #1 in the 3rd is too high. So they trade him for a 2nd next year (assuming they will be picking say in the teens) (that could be dangerous...lol) instead of a 3rd this year...under their assumption it could be only like 16 selections earlier but its in the future not now...so they don't have to give anything up this year and can get oline help or something.

if that went through and our record was the same as oaklands...we'd basically be getting our 2nd rounder back. and We'd have gotten Matt Schaub for an '07 2nd rounder and dropping two spots in the 1st.

Risky move...and maybe a little presumptuous (sp!?!?) on my part but Rick Smith would look like a freaking GENIUS if he pulled that off.

Back to your question G....quite frankly i have no idea...but i like him! lol...i need to see him play though (hahaha)

here's why:

A) he was a 1st round prospect in college. he was injured his senior year and as a result, dropped to the 3rd round. everyone looked at him as a franchise guy, but he just dropped due to the injury. see: kellen clemens last year. first round guy, but injury pushed him back. the jets look at clemens as their QB of the future.

B) he's looked EXCELLENT in preseason. he's looked GOOD in the regular season. when you consider how little he's actually played in the NFL, and how he's playing in an offense designed for a left-handed running quarterback, i'd say he's looked pretty damn impressive.

C) good arm, very accurate, smart, good decision-maker, very heady, a great leader...

D) he's young.

why is he valued so high? because great young quarterbacks with tons of potential aren't just lying around waiting to be scooped up by anyone.
A)You obviously have some man-love for the guy.
B)His stat line doesn't exactly bear out any of your claims.
C)I remember Lundy looking GREAT in preseason.
D)The Jets have been looking for a QB since Namath retired.
E) Since when did DC get old? Oh yeah....249 sacks ago.
I'm no Carr lover and no Schaub hater. I just think we paid too much (as usual) for him. If he turns out to be gr8, I guess I'll hafta eat my words. I also believe that there ARE lots of QB's with POTENTIAL out there. There just aren't that many PROVEN good QB's to choose from.

Gonna take a lot more than a backup QB to do that. We have 3 on our roster right now!!!!! Two 2nd round picks would go a long way toward helping us win. See also Demeco Ryans.

Hey smartie, it says please help us win, not he will help us win. You make me sick. For Christ sakes, give Matt a chance to prove he is worth his value before you assume that he is not worth two 2nd round picks. You people all make me sick that think that you know so much more than the men that are trying to do their job in the FO. Matt could be horrible, or he could be great, but for you to say that he can not help us win, because he is a back-up QB is rediculous. Let him have his shot, because as a real Houston Texans fan, you should do just that. Now, keep your mouth shut until we find out what he can do, and support the team, not destroy them as they try and rebuild.

here's why:

D) he's young.

good post kast...as usual you seem to know your stuff.

i know this is probably in other threads but don't want to sift through 38 pages...lol.

Schaub knows the WCO correct? is that what he excels in or is he just good in that type of system. Will he be a good fit here as far ast the system?

How does he throw on the run? Does he go through his progressions?

and lastly...

WILL HE RUN PAST THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE AND THEN PASS THE BALL..TWICE IN ONE GAME?!!

i think it's funny...this board has had some amusing threads in the past but this has to be up there in the top 3 all time...you wanted a new QB we got one...you were tired of older veteran players well he's a younger guy...your tired of seeing david carr sacked because he's watching the pass rush instead of the recievers...well here's some fresh blood for the team

i agree it can be frustrating with the draft so close...everyone has their players picked out that they want to us to pick up...i too had about three guys i wanted to see us pick up in round 2 but it's not gonna happen...so everyone just take a deep breath in...let it out...and relax...this kids future is unwritten...kubiak picked this kid for a reason...how about we see what the kid has before we start preparing for the end of world

the o-line isn't that bad as it seemed last year...remember with carr being sacked almost a 3 times a game he was looking for the rush before he was looking down field...that's why we started dumbing down the offense for him

we have our runningbacks set...our young TE is promising...we have freaking ANDRE JOHNSON the friggin best WR in the NFL

he has the tools...he has the players...let's see what this team can do now

I love it in my face. Terrific post.

I'm no Carr lover and no Schaub hater. I just think we paid too much (as usual) for him. If he turns out to be gr8, I guess I'll hafta eat my words. I also believe that there ARE lots of QB's with POTENTIAL out there. There just aren't that many PROVEN good QB's to choose from.
A) uh
B) what claims? that he's looked impressive for a guy who's only played in a handful of games in his whole career? look at any quarterback's first couple of games and compare.
C) i remember a lot of great players looking great in preseason, too.
D) ....
E) ....

very simplistic look at things.

Yeah, Gaffney really stunk it up in the AFC Championship Game. Read some of my other rants on some of our questionable draft picks made by the former regime.

You just summed it up in two words: FORMER REGIME. Guess what, we have a new one now, and by the way, welcome to Texas.

Would you please tell us who you would get as a starting QB, and what you would be willing to pay for him?

i guess one game justifies him as a 2nd round pick, then. on another team. and he's being replaced, too.

Because the NFL is so QB poor right now. Think about it. There are probanly less than 10 teams in the league that are perfectly happy with their QB situation right now. Houston is not one of them even with Schaub.

What you are describing is essentially the law of "supply and demand". Teams NEED qb's and there aren't a lot out there. However, that doesn't mean that Schaub is worth 2 second-rounders, it just means he has that value since teams covet qb's and the supply is very limited.

In Hawaii, meat is more expensive than it is in Texas. However, it doesn't mean the meat is better, it's only more expensive because it isn't as readily available.

um maybe because there are practically no QB's under 30 with potential in this league. I'm not saying hes going to a superstar qb..but he may well be. Also this QB was viewed as one of the best young qb's out there, and most people agree he is a starting caliber qb. BTW, he WAS a first rd. prospect but got injured in college. He recovered just fine and is as good as new.
Also, for people who are hating on schaub, what exactly did you want? Carr to start? Draft a qb? carr is a garunteed losing season, and any rookie will take awhile to learn the system. Thats a nice couple years of losing some more. The fact is we got what was considered the best young non-starting qb on the market, for a couple of 2nd rounders. And we still have carr to trade. All that to say, i would have thought fans of a franchise thats never had a winning record would be elated with this news.

I have a few questions. What would you expect to pay for a starting QB? And who are you going to get? And at what bargain price. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a starting QB is probably this highest priced commodity in the NFL. If not, who is?

?1)If we were trading for a starting QB like say Alex Smith or hell Vick I could understand giving up two 2nd rd picks and a flip flop of picks.Those guys have both actually proven something very important in my opinion, that they can win games. but not some guy who's simply regarded as the best bench warmer. And dont kid yourself thats all he is right now...a bench warmer!!

?2) Good question.....I have no idea. I think we should have waited until next year when he would have become a FA and /or picked up a QB in this or next years draft. Don't get me wrong I'm fully aware this guy could be the next Brett Favre, but the risk factor compared to the payout scares me right now.( I believe there's an economic term for this but it left me)

?3) I would have considered flip flopping 1st rounders and next years 2nd for Schaub. But on a team lacking depth and quality starters I believe those 2nd rd picks should be valued over an unproven QB. That's possibly two starters on the Texans swiss cheese roster.:beerfunnel: ( this guys awesome!!)

If it happens I'll root my a** off for him every Sunday anyway sooooo.....GO :logo: !!!!

So we could draft Quinn in '07 AND '08?? Those are the draft picks I hear we're giving up for a QB not named Carr. That's the only thing that matters to a lot of posters on here. I don't know a ton about him, but this smacks of a Casserly/Capers reach to me. Kinda like Babin, T.Johnson,P-Burnt, Hollings, etc...I wish I could get a card game going with our FO, cuz they don't know when to hold 'em. I could go with 1 first day pick, not 2. The dude better go Peyton Manning all over the NFL next year. I keep seeing Sharper and Glenn riding off into the sunset while we just sit on our collective thumbs and rock back and get no compensation cuz our FO THEN were dumb***** too!

Not to pin point you, but are you a Titans fan posing over here, because you sure are negative about all this. By the way, what FO do you work for?

Hey, I understand that we want to keep the board clean, but why do THREE threads have to be merged into one just because they deal with the same person?

Thread 1: Team Close to Deal for Schaub
Thread 2: Welcome to Houston Matt
Thread 3: The Thing I don't Get About Matt Schaub is. . .

In my opinion, it gets to difficult to sift through 38 pages of a thread when you are wanting to talk about one specific topic

You just summed it up in two words: FORMER REGIME. Guess what, we have a new one now, and by the way, welcome to Texas.
Geez...so much hate out there. I'm deifinately a Texans fan AND I'm from Texas...just bought a house in Kingwood, by the way. I feel the same as you guys do. I'm just not going to go bonkers over a trade that looks, on the surface, like a bad deal for us. This is a deep draft at some positions we need to fill. Maybe the guy will come in and tear up the league, maybe he'll come in and , never mind, don't wanna jinx the guy...None of us know how this will turn out, but I know that I, for 1, would rather have my draft picks.

OK, that is cool. I live in Kingwood also, so welcome home. I just want people to understand that the FO and Kubes made a decision on where the future is going, and are willing to give up a little bit more than expected to try and succeed. I know we wish we did not have to give up any picks, but if this works out, the picks will be worth it. If it does not, we can speculate on that later. Just be happy that the FO is trying to go in a different direction then DC, and let's try and be part of football in Houston.

Here's something that occurred to me, and maybe someone else. I have not read every post in this rather lengthy thread. But, do we regret the Texans cutting Eric Moulds loose now? Sure they saved a little on the cap, but unless they take a receiver with that first pick, I doubt they'll find a better one in round 3 or later. That is for next year at least. It is clear that a younger replacement was needed for Moulds, but I think they could have gotten another year out of him, given that there would be a new QB in town.

the texans completely reversing their position on david carr is what im referring to as the world uprighting itself. Say it with me, Met-A-Phor. I don't care if you believe me or not.

I believe that you know a guy in the office who heard something. I believe that you believed what he said completely. Do I believe that he believed what he was telling you? I don't know. Do I believe that Matt Schaub will be a Texan tomorrow and that David Carr will be gone by Training Camp? Yes. Did I believe it before? Probably not. Did what you said have anything to do with that? No.

I just think that your metaphor is a little melodramatic.

Back