Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Close the Deal for Schaub: confirmed by NFLNetwork

?1)If we were trading for a starting QB like say Alex Smith or hell Vick I could understand giving up two 2nd rd picks and a flip flop of picks.Those guys have both actually proven something very important in my opinion, that they can win games. but not some guy who's simply regarded as the best bench warmer. And dont kid yourself thats all he is right now...a bench warmer!!

?2) Good question.....I have no idea. I think we should have waited until next year when he would have become a FA and /or picked up a QB in this or next years draft. Don't get me wrong I'm fully aware this guy could be the next Brett Favre, but the risk factor compared to the payout scares me right now.( I believe there's an economic term for this but it left me)

?3) I would have considered flip flopping 1st rounders and next years 2nd for Schaub. But on a team lacking depth and quality starters I believe those 2nd rd picks should be valued over an unproven QB. That's possibly two starters on the Texans swiss cheese roster.:beerfunnel: ( this guys awesome!!)

If it happens I'll root my a** off for him every Sunday anyway sooooo.....GO :logo: !!!!

We did trade for a starting QB. He will start for the Texans.

I'm glad you would be willing to trade 2 second round picks for Alex Smith or Vick. Yet, that begs the question.... Do you honestly think anyone would trade these two players or any other successful QB for 2 second round picks? You might be able... no, in fact, I would be willing to bet you could trade for David Carr for less than that. Do you want David Carr? Just who do you think you could get for 2 second round picks? Does it even matter that Atlanta offered him the maximum allowed to stay with the Falcons and he turned them down. That sounds really stupid of Atlanta to offer all that, just for a "bench warmer", doesn't it? He wanted out of Atlanta, and wanted a chance to start.

I seriously doubt that Atlanta would have let him become a UFA. Then they would not have received anything for him. And who would you draft in the next 2 years that has 3 years of NFL experience already? And do what with them, sit them on the bench behind who for all that time. I'm sure the Texan fans would love to skate along until he may or may not develop.

Who knows how good or bad he will be, but Brett Farve was a bench warmer in Atlanta until they traded him. And, Tom Brady was a bench warmer before he got his shot. And you can add the Cowboys QB to that list, too.

Honestly, I was hoping that Kevin Kolb would be snatched up by the Texans, but with Matt Schaub on board, they Texans can see what he can do now, not wait another 2 or 3 years.

Cost of acquiring Schaub:

1) Swap #8 for #10 overall - This is a wash, pretty much, It may actually work in our favor if we get the same player two picks later and don't end up paying #8 money to a guy who is actually a #10 value. Levi Brown is an example, and now a good player to consider from a value perspective, and also as a value added pick to benefit our new QB.

2) 2007 2nd round pick - Schaub is better and more ready (IMO) than any QB we would have reasonably had a shot at in the second round. Also frees up our #8 pick for BPA instead of Quinn, who wouldn't be BPA (IMO) at that spot. Others will disagree on Quinn, and I respect that... that's just how I feel. I never was comfortable with the idea of BQ at #8.

3) 2008 2nd round pick - This is the luxury tax we paid ATL to train our 2007 starting QB for us the past three years. Schaub should (will) be our starting QB from snap #1 this year... no rookie QB in this draft class is as ready as he is to start an NFL game. We will not have to pay #8 money to a rookie QB to sit on our bench for a year or two.

* Hidden Value

1) No more Carr controversy.
2) Player confidence should be higher with Schaub than with Carr, who arguably lost his team mates this year.
3) The fans should be more optimistic, and excited on opening day, versus the same team with DC still at the helm. Ticket sales may increase? Ok, that might be a reach...
4) The collective creativity of this message board will increase now that other topics will be needed to replace the 10,000 Carr threads.

1) Swap #8 for #10 overall - This is a wash, pretty much, It may actually work in our favor if we get the same player two picks later and don't end up paying #8 money to a guy who is actually a #10 value. Levi Brown is an example, and now a good player to consider from a value perspective, and also as a value added pick to benefit our new QB.

2) 2007 2nd round pick - Schaub is better and more ready (IMO) than any QB we would have reasonably had a shot at in the second round. Also frees up our #8 pick for BPA instead of Quinn, who wouldn't be BPA (IMO) at that spot. Others will disagree on Quinn, and I respect that... that's just how I feel. I never was comfortable with the idea of BQ at #8.

3) 2008 2nd round pick - This is the luxury tax we paid ATL to train our 2007 starting QB for us the past three years. Schaub should (will) be our starting QB from snap #1 this year... no rookie QB in this draft class is as ready as he is to start an NFL game. We will not have to pay #8 money to a rookie QB to sit on our bench for a year or two.

* Hidden Value

2) Player confidence should be higher with Schaub than with Carr, who arguably lost his team mates this year.
3) The fans should be more optimistic, and excited on opening day, versus the same team with DC still at the helm. Ticket sales may increase? Ok, that might be a reach...
4) The collective creativity of this message board will increase now that other topics will be needed to replace the 10,000 Carr threads.

I don't buy the rationale of it really only costs us one 2nd round pick. Mostly because the learning curve that any qb that hasn't played much is minimal in practice and is mostly learned on the field... whether it is Schaub or any other drafted QB, they both have to make those decisions at NFL speed, which you can't always get in practice.

Schaub hasn't proven anything yet... the guy was great in Spring camp... so was Wali Lundy... This isn't to say that I am against the acquisition... I see it as a risk the GM was willing to take on an educated guess that Schaub is closer to ready to play than any other rookie. I don't believe they have confidence in Carr.

I think GMs need to take some risks, and this one is worth taking. It could backfire, it could work out... time will tell. I don't think they wanted to take QUinn or trade up for him and felt as if they didn't want to rely on a qb in the 2nd or 3rd... They are making a move, and I applaud the boldness in trying to being what htey believe to be winning players to the team.

Good job and best of luck to us!!!

I hope David Carr's relatives still stay around to post and keep us updated how the david is coping with the news. i wont name them but i think its pretty easy to figure out.

* Hidden Value

I like this arguement, excellent post. It makes me feel better about the value as well.

I don't buy the rationale of it really only costs us one 2nd round pick. Mostly because the learning curve that any qb that hasn't played much is minimal in practice and is mostly learned on the field... whether it is Schaub or any other drafted QB, they both have to make those decisions at NFL speed, which you can't always get in practice.

Right. And any rookie QB that comes in here has none of the aforementioned experience at NFL speed, and is ALSO 3 years behind Schaub as far as NFL experience overall.
You can't tell me that three years of practice, spot playing time, and NFL coaching doesn't give Schaub and edge, regardless of how much you may want to. We know for a fact that Schaub can throw for 300 yards and three TDs against an NFL defense... in the regular season. OK, 298... if your splitting hairs.

* Hidden Value

its not that bad of a deal especially if we can get anything at all for Carr. Getting Schaub in the 2nd round is almost worth a 2nd round in itself. The move back was probably strategic so they can pay less and still get their guy.

Someone is going to drop and we will be there waiting at #10. We should have a good first day haul. Landry/Nelson/Hall/Branch/Gaines at #10 and Schaub in the 2nd Round and maybe a Center in the 3rd round (maybe Satele falls to us). That would be a great 1st day and if you get anything pre-draft for Carr, then all the better. The sky isnt falling. Lets see what happens.

Roll Rohan roll! I wanted to draft him in the 3rd round in 2002 and not pick a QB first overall. I think he trying to make the Cardinals this year.

I'm assuming you're talking about Rohan Davey; I saw him on some Arena Football team on ESPN.

Yeah, Gaffney really stunk it up in the AFC Championship Game. Read some of my other rants on some of our questionable draft picks made by the former regime.

Yeah ok Gaffney sucked here and everyone said he was a poor route runner and could not do crap. He goes to philly signs a 1yr deal and is cut. yet he goes to the Patriots, with Tom Brady throwing to him and he is made to look like an all star, yet the Patriots went out and spent a bunch of jack on an all new reciever corps and you want to bring up his play in one freakin game? If he was so damn good why did the Patriots go get all new recvrs?????

i thought the problems were caused by casserly but clearly the texans organization is still headed by some idiots.

schaub cost 2 mid-high second rounders and moving down in the first round 2 spots. the guy played sparingly in the past seasons. as unproven as you can get.

mcGahee cost 2 mid-low third rounders and a seventh rounder. i think everyone knows what this guy can do.

plummer would have cost miami a fourth rounder. i would take him over schaub.

hall (DE) cost a fifth rounder.

the dude had one good game in his career. he is the same as carr, if not worse. sad....so sad.

A)You obviously have some man-love for the guy.
B)His stat line doesn't exactly bear out any of your claims.
C)I remember Lundy looking GREAT in preseason.
D)The Jets have been looking for a QB since Namath retired.
E) Since when did DC get old? Oh yeah....249 sacks ago.
I'm no Carr lover and no Schaub hater. I just think we paid too much (as usual) for him. If he turns out to be gr8, I guess I'll hafta eat my words. I also believe that there ARE lots of QB's with POTENTIAL out there. There just aren't that many PROVEN good QB's to choose from.

Will you at least comeback to the board and say ...... Yeah I was wrong? This is one prob I have with most people on boards it is that they claim this or that but will not own up to it, why? Because they have no heart or stones.

I agree it is a lot to give up for Schaub, but damn so would waiting on three years for another QB to develop.

I haven't read a single post in this thread so I'll just state my observations:

Wow...

It's about time.

If I could have my pick of any available QB it would be Schaub. I'm thrilled by this move. Now the Draft is coming up. It hasn't been this exciting to be a Texans fan - at least for me - since 19-10.

This means Carr will no longer be a Texan. I think it's a good move that would have been a great move one year ago.

Say goodbye to David Carr threads.

Say hello to Matt Schaub threads.

Say goodbye to all the Carr supporters who only followed the Texans as a necessary afterthought.

Say hello to the Schaub Mob.

i said years ago this franchise will never be able to be succesfull until it got rid of the three C's and thanks to Baby Jesus we are almost to that point

Thank You Baby Jesus

i thought the problems were caused by casserly but clearly the texans organization is still headed by some idiots.

schaub cost 2 mid-high second rounders and moving down in the first round 2 spots. the guy played sparingly in the past seasons. as unproven as you can get.

mcGahee cost 2 mid-low third rounders and a seventh rounder. i think everyone knows what this guy can do.

the dude had one good game in his career. he is the same as carr, if not worse. sad....so sad.

OK you are comparing an injury prone RB in McGhee and Jake "the mistake" Plummer to a guy who by so many has more football savy in him that Jakes big toe? OK you can do that but everyone has talked up Schaub over the last two years and the asking price was always 1first and at least 1 second plus. Now we get him for cheaper than that and you are upset? Have you seen him play? Have you studied game film? Probably not, give the guy a chance and see what he does then let it fly!! OK??

Some of you like nothing better than to trash a player, no matter if it is some kid coming out of college who has no choice where he is drafted or a player for being traded when he has no choice, and neither of them you have ever seen play all you do is look at stats and make a judgement. If you fools were morking for the steelers, Bradshaw would have been gone after one year. OK, bad example because most you diaper wearing numskulls were still thinking about pooping your pants back then.

it's funny that willis thinks he is the best RB in the league. he clearly has the stats to not back that point. he has a pedestrian 3.9 YPC average of the course of his 46 game career and is coming off a season in which he couldn't even squeeze out 1000 on the ground and only had 6 touchdowns.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2807051

Can someone please explain a little about the Tender they put on Schaub..i understand the gist of it..1st and 3rd and all but at the bottom of the article it mentions 2.3 million.

for example. we had the option of putting a 2nd rd tender on vonta leach for like 450k right?

So did the Falcons pay Schaub or the nfl offices $2.3 million for that tender? if they trade schaub do they still have to pay that amount? or is it voided because the tender wasn't used?

I think this is a good deal for both sides. esp atl since he wouldn't have played and they got 2 2nds of course..but if they still had to pay that 2.3 million bucks...thats a like a million bucks for each 2nd rd pick...kinda a lot !?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2807051

Can someone please explain a little about the Tender they put on Schaub..i understand the gist of it..1st and 3rd and all but at the bottom of the article it mentions 2.3 million.

for example. we had the option of putting a 2nd rd tender on vonta leach for like 450k right?

So did the Falcons pay Schaub or the nfl offices $2.3 million for that tender? if they trade schaub do they still have to pay that amount? or is it voided because the tender wasn't used?

I think this is a good deal for both sides. esp atl since he wouldn't have played and they got 2 2nds of course..but if they still had to pay that 2.3 million bucks...thats a like a million bucks for each 2nd rd pick...kinda a lot !?

$2.3 million tender was Schaub's salary as a RFA. Since he was RFA, any team could sign him to a higher offer sheet, and if the Falcons declined to match the higher offer, they would receive a 1st and 3rd round pick as compensation. These picks would come from the team that signed Schaub to the higher contract.
At least, I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

$2.3 million tender was Schaub's salary as a RFA. Since he was RFA, any team could sign him to a higher offer sheet, and if the Falcons declined to match the higher offer, they would receive a 1st and 3rd round pick as compensation. These picks would come from the team that signed Schaub to the higher contract.
At least, I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

i just didn't get the 2.3 mill part. okay so they paid him $2.3 mill as his salary...or is that amount ontop of something?

because i remember reading 2 days ago about vonta leach. someone said for 450,000 we could have put a 2nd round pick compensation.. so was that 450 on top of his salary? and would that be paid to him?

so would this 2.3 million for schaub....is that ontop of his initial salary? or am i just thinking about this too much LOL

Don't believe any contract details have been posted yet...here they are -

Schaub, whose trade to the Texans will be officially announced today, has signed a six-year contract worth $48 million, including $7 million guaranteed. He will make $20 million over the first three years.

If the Texans want to keep Schaub for the last three years of the deal, they will pay him the $10 million option bonus in March 2010. In March 2006, they gave David Carr an $8 million option bonus that extended his contract for three more years.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4651834.html

(I stay up pretty late)

Edit - Apparently i've stayed up a little too late....didn't see the other thread posted 2 hours ago at 1am.

Just a thought but do you think our management was sitting around playing madden and added players to our team via that way and thats how we ended up with Matt Schaub. just a thought.

i'll try the trade tomorrow and see what we could trade for schaub..lol.

is there a league rule or something about how far in the future you can trade draft picks?

i was thinking it'd be great if we traded somebody and was like okay we'll give you our 2nd round pick in the 2030 draft. if i was a GM i'd do something like that just for fun.

Like we give atlanta our 1st rd and 2nd rd this year, and our 2nd rd next year
for their 1st round this year, matt schaub, and a conditional 7th round pick in the 2030 draft...
lol i think that'd be funny.

Who really cares about who said what in the past. Heck, I'll bet Kubiak and Smith didn't think they would be making this move three weeks ago!

The more pressing question is why are we trading away picks - going against our statements that we need more picks to fill holes? I am really confused by this move and can only hope that there is more to it that we simply don't see...

IMO the whole 'trade-away-picks' were in reference to moving up in the draft, getting fewer but better picks at the cost of the total number of picks. The Schaub-deal is a case of us actually getting a player for pick(s).

One pick for Schaub himself, another pick for getting a player that is not a rookie, a player that has had NFL-starts and knows the deal. I'm willing to give up a pick to avoid having a rookie sitting on the bench for a couple of years.

BTW, i watched matt play back in virgina. he was good but nothing spectacular. not that it means anything in the NFL. hard for anyone, besides those in the falcons org, to comment on him since he has played in so few games.

perhaps my comments came off wrong as i think schaub has potential but i just dont agree with them spending 2 2nd rounders and moving down in the draft for a relatively unproven talent. i just think they overpaid.

we'll see what happens but IMHO its a bad move.

I have a few questions. What would you expect to pay for a starting QB? And who are you going to get? And at what bargain price. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a starting QB is probably this highest priced commodity in the NFL. If not, who is?

Not only is a starting QB the highest priced commodity in the NFL, it's also one of the most scarce. When it comes to QB's, the supply is very limited, sometimes you'll have to pay over the norm just to get SOMETHING that'll start.

In Hawaii, meat is more expensive than it is in Texas. However, it doesn't mean the meat is better, it's only more expensive because it isn't as readily available.

What it does mean is that if you WANT meat in Hawaii you'll have to pay for it, regardless of the quality :)

this organization gets more and more stupid each day......here's to another 4 win season....

AGH!!! i specifically remember you constantly trashing carr last yr in the game thread...like the rap says "there'll always be haters that just the way it is"

Geez...so much hate out there. I'm deifinately a Texans fan AND I'm from Texas...just bought a house in Kingwood, by the way. I feel the same as you guys do. I'm just not going to go bonkers over a trade that looks, on the surface, like a bad deal for us. This is a deep draft at some positions we need to fill. Maybe the guy will come in and tear up the league, maybe he'll come in and , never mind, don't wanna jinx the guy...None of us know how this will turn out, but I know that I, for 1, would rather have my draft picks.

Explain how this looks like a bad deal to you again??

Atl wanted a 1st, and a 3rd in this years draft. They got neither. They got this years 2nd, next years 2nd, and swaping this years 1st(we lose 100 points on the value chart).........

I don't know Matt Schaub. But this isn't the first off-season I've heard his name as a possible starter in this league.

He was a first round prospect, but his stock fell to a third(due to injury). He's been a back-up in the WCO being groomed for 3 years.

Atl wanted a 1st, and a 3rd in this years draft. They got neither. They got this years 2nd, next years 2nd, and swaping this years 1st(we lose 100 points on the value chart).........

I don't know Matt Schaub. But this isn't the first off-season I've heard his name as a possible starter in this league.

He was a first round prospect, but his stock fell to a third(due to injury). He's been a back-up in the WCO being groomed for 3 years.

You make some good points here thunderkyss.

We got Schaub in an intelligent manner and he is the brightest prospect available to the Texans once it was decided Carr had come to the end of his usefulness.

:poker: My bet is this will all work out for the best and all the so called fans crying about this trade will be right there cheering GO TEXANS. They will hop on the bandwagon and act as if were with it all along.

I know and I know I will be right there cheering for him but I just dont know yet about if it was a good trade. Im glad we will have a new face I just hope it works out.

People are just scared of the unfamiliar!! But anything is better than Carr. If the o-line still sucks and sack the QB, at least we have a fresh body to take the licks!!!

As long as you guys get out of the basement (no offense) and start helping us (Titans) beat the Colts, I'm all for it.

Titans and Texans ontop in '07? I'd like to think so.

in the chronicle today it says the contract that is going to be signed by schaub is going to be a 6 year deal worth 48 million including 7 million garenteed and 20 million over the first three seasons

wow...that's about all i can say about that...just wow

what happened to us being in cap trouble?

in the chronicle today it says the contract that is going to be signed by schaub is going to be a 6 year deal worth 48 million including 7 million garenteed and 20 million over the first three seasons

wow...that's about all i can say about that...just wow

what happened to us being in cap trouble?

Well, trading or cutting Carr will save us quite a bit of cap. IIRC, it's like 5 million this year alone. It's been posted several times. I have yet to finish my coffee, so I don't feel like looking it up.:)

Just as an example, would you give up 2 DeMeco Ryans for Matt Schaub? Theoretically, that's what we are doing.

That's assuming we'd always get a player like Ryans in the second round. I'd take Schaub for:
Gaffney and Pitts
Gaffeny and Hollings
Hollings and Pitts
Ryans and Pitts
Ryans and Hollings
Ryans and Gaffney
Joppru and Ryans
Joppru and Pitts
Joppru and Gaffney
Joppru and Hollings

The only way I dont' like this deal is if I was guarnteed to get 2 players of Ryans caliber in the next two drafts; and since thats an impossibility I'll take Schaub.

Whoa there man...im as big a homer as anyone else but NO F'ING WAY I'D TRADE DROY for anything less than Jessica Alba/Biel/Simpson and a mind control device.

:yahoo:

Whoa there man...im as big a homer as anyone else but NO F'ING WAY I'D TRADE DROY for anything less than Jessica Alba/Biel/Simpson and a mind control device.

:yahoo:

The NFL is a QB league, that's just a fact (Dilfer and Rothlessburger are teh exceptions). I think Ryans is great, but he plays MLB and as such can be replace (Hell, there were even rumors this offseason that the Jets were shopping Vilma around, another MLB and DROY); finding a good QB is harder then replacing your MLB.

Are you one of the people heading the Texans' organization?

The same as Carr, if not worse? Man oh man.... yeah, sad. Plummer, huh? Too bad Kubiak isn't listening to you, but what does he know.

$48 million?
Squab's career numbers are virtually identical to Sage's and he has more career wins.....so is Sage a bargain OR is Matt overpriced?

In the overall scheme it looks like a bad deal until we factor in what ever we get for Carr, and whatever Matt does on the field but on paper this looks like another "Houston" deal. Like Pippen, Barkley, the Unit, Boselli, Glenn, etc..where we get all excited about them and overpay, then they don't turn out to be worth squat.

But if he can win, he is one of us and he can stay.:bigboss:

Titan "Tack" Fan;635262 said:
As long as you guys get out of the basement (no offense) and start helping us (Titans) beat the Colts, I'm all for it.

Titans and Texans ontop in '07? I'd like to think so.

You really need to go back and look at Houstond record., because we did beat the Colts last year.

I have to agree with Thunderkyss. Every player drafted, signed in free agency or traded for is a gamble. My initial feeling was we over paid but if he ends up on the Favre/Brunell side rather than the Scott Mitchell/Rob Johnson side then this is an assume deal. We needed a change at QB and with no sure fire franchise QBS in this our next years draft why not roll the dice. We have bombed 2nd round picks many times so the chances of bombing on any of these picks is as risky as bombing on Schaub.

The good news is that it makes next year a whole lot more exciting.:elmo:

Back