Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Close the Deal for Schaub: confirmed by NFLNetwork

$48 million?
Squab's career numbers are virtually identical to Sage's and he has more career wins.....so is Sage a bargain OR is Matt overpriced?

In the overall scheme it looks like a bad deal until we factor in what ever we get for Carr, and whatever Matt does on the field but on paper this looks like another "Houston" deal. Like Pippen, Barkley, the Unit, Boselli, Glenn, etc..where we get all excited about them and overpay, then they don't turn out to be worth squat.

But if he can win, he is one of us and he can stay.:bigboss:

The most important number to look at there is the 7 mil in gauranteed money. That is a very low number so if it doesnt pan out it wont kill us in the cap. If it does work out and he is a good to great QB we are still on the right side of the numbers which averages to 8 per.

I must admit I didn't see this one coming. I did not think Atlanta would be willing to give up Schaub for anything less than the farm (and that's damn near what we paid them) and I never envisioned the Texans pursuing him or parting with so much draft real estate.

Having said that, given all of the names that have been tossed around--Plummer, Garcia, Trent Green, Kolb, Quinn, etc.--I have to think that Schaub was the superior choice, all factors considered.

I wish Carr the best as he was a class act from start to finish. I will be following his career with interest wherever he ends up and I hope that a change of scenery will inspire him to live up to the talent we all know he has.

I must admit I didn't see this one coming. I did not think Atlanta would be willing to give up Schaub for anything less than the farm (and that's damn near what we paid them)

are you serious?? 2 (hopefully) mid 2nds=farm??...look at the hasselback etc deals

are you serious?? 2 (hopefully) mid 2nds=farm??...look at the hasselback etc deals

For a virtually unproven career backup QB? Comparing it to another expensive deal that was in hindsight successful and yet is totally unrelated doesn't make it any less of a reach. However that's my opinion and since we have virtually no facts of this guy's ability to debate, I think we'd do well to leave it at that and see how he plays once he straps on a Texans uniform.

The Texans gave up more for Schaub than the Seahawks did to get Hasselbeck. Seattle dropped 7 spots in the 1st round (#10 to #17) and dealt the Pack a 3rd round pick (#72).

For a virtually unproven career backup QB? Comparing it to another expensive deal that was in hindsight successful and yet is totally unrelated doesn't make it any less of a reach. However that's my opinion and since we have virtually no facts of this guy's ability to debate, I think we'd do well to leave it at that and see how he plays once he straps on a Texans uniform.

i know what you're saying but hes not just some nobody 8 yr backup..hes a young guy thats highly regarded and looks to fit our system...
i saw the pats-falcs game last year (and some other game he played in i think) and i remember thinking 'uh-oh vicks in trouble, this kid has it and theres no way they can keep him on the bench'..granted it was his best game but im confident schaub's going to work out here and the deal will look like a bargain

Actually many in Atlanta were disappointed with the deal and thought they could get more. That is what the Falcons announcer said yesterday.

I don't get the drama. We dropped two places. We were looking to move up with a 2nd anyways. So we gave up another. You have to take chances to improve. The course we were going was not working. We still can trade down and get a pick from Carr to supplement. It isn't the end of the world.

Will you at least comeback to the board and say ...... Yeah I was wrong? This is one prob I have with most people on boards it is that they claim this or that but will not own up to it, why? Because they have no heart or stones.

I agree it is a lot to give up for Schaub, but damn so would waiting on three years for another QB to develop.
Sorry...I'm in the Eastern time zone right now and I have to work for a living, so I went to bed. No, I will NOT admit I'm wrong. I'm also not hating on Schaub. I just feel like we paid too much. I also feel like everyone is so giddy just because Carr is going to be gone. That won't fix this team and neither will Schaub, IMHO. In hindsight, maybe using Gaffney as an example wasn't the best idea, but I had just gotten into my hotel room after driving from Kansas City to Maysville, Ky. and I was pretty tired. We have some huge holes to fill and 2nd round draft picks are pretty high commodities, especially in a draft as deep as this one is in areas we need to address. I'll be glad to debate you on any topic you wish. Why do you want to question my heart for the Texans or my stones?? Because I dare disagree with you? Because I have a job I'd like to keep and needed some sleep? Maybe you should check with your doctor and get some Prozac or something. Just stay away from the Paxil. I've heard bad things about it!!!

I'm amazed that this thread isn't at a 1000 posts yet, and that it has no chance to eclipse teh Moulds thread.

Too many people believe that they have a thought thread worthy :rolleyes: We have not just jammed all those into this one.

I was listening to one of the am stations this morning, 790 I think, and a caller said it best that he's been all over the nation and heard many a sports radio shows and he felt that the Houston fans are starting to be comparable to the Philly fans that they just want to complain about anything.

The hosts agreed saying in Philly you could win the superbowl by 3 points and many would feel they didn't win by enough.

I was listening to one of the am stations this morning, 790 I think, and a caller said it best that he's been all over the nation and heard many a sports radio shows and he felt that the Houston fans are starting to be comparable to the Philly fans that they just want to complain about anything.

The hosts agreed saying in Philly you could win the superbowl by 3 points and many would feel they didn't win by enough.
I'm really looking forward to the creativity displayed if Schaub falls on his $48 mil. face. It's been All DC All the Time for a few years on here. I have some really mixed up emotions about this deal. My gut tells me it's a bad deal and we're getting shafted, but my heart wants the guy to come and be the "Next Great Thing".

Except they seem passionate, crazy and knowledgeable. After hearing calls and seeing some things that are said around this town I'm worried about the knowledgeable part.

I'm really looking forward to the creativity displayed if Schaub falls on his $48 mil. face. It's been All DC All the Time for a few years on here. I have some really mixed up emotions about this deal. My gut tells me it's a bad deal and we're getting shafted, but my heart wants the guy to come and be the "Next Great Thing".

Go with your heart, dude. It feels much better being optimistic.... and IF it turns out bad, then you can say "told ya so" and the Texans will learn once again and we'll move forward.

But for now, embrace the change. :victory:

Follow your heart, my son... it will set you free.

Plus, it's obvious your gut is just a pessimist...

Go with your heart, dude. It feels much better being optimistic....

dammit A4toZ, you stole my thunder... I want it back..!

But what if I'm POSITIVE this is a bad deal???? J/K. I can only hope that negotiations for trading Carr are very far along and the other guys don't have access to any sort of media.

I'd give ya some rep for the thunder stealing, but gotta spread it first.

BOOM.... here comes the.... BOOM ready or not......

But what if I'm POSITIVE this is a bad deal???? J/K.

Whoa, there... don't start going all M. Night Shyamalan on me with your twists of logic... I'm having hard time keeping up, and have to keep rewinding the thread. "I see thread people..."

"Did DocBar just say what I thought he said about what he said earlier, or did I misunderstand what he said just now? Or was it earlier? I need a drink..."

</joke>

But what if I'm POSITIVE this is a bad deal???? J/K. I can only hope that negotiations for trading Carr are very far along and the other guys don't have access to any sort of media.

Usually when I'm dead positive about something I'm wrong..lol

Whoa, there... don't start going all M. Night Shyamalan on me with your twists of logic... I'm having hard time keeping up, and have to keep rewinding the thread.

"Did DocBar just say what I thought he said about what he said earlier, or did I misunderstand what he said just now? Or was it earlier? I need a drink..."

</joke>
LOL...I guess I'm gonna quit whining over the sticker shock and wish the guy the best of luck. I hope he lives up to his "potential". I'm really getting tired of that word. Still wish we had our draft picks, though. And most would say it's twisted ILLOGIC, but that's just the majority....

The Texans gave up more for Schaub than the Seahawks did to get Hasselbeck. Seattle dropped 7 spots in the 1st round (#10 to #17) and dealt the Pack a 3rd round pick (#72).

Not according to the Chronic. It says they gave up 2 number 1's and a number 3. Not sure but that's what it says.

LOL...I guess I'm gonna quit whining over the sticker shock and wish the guy the best of luck. I hope he lives up to his "potential". I'm really getting tired of that word. Still wish we had our draft picks, though. And most would say it's twisted ILLOGIC, but that's just the majority....

THANKS FOR THE PICKS GUYS...goin to get Calvin now!!! or at least Landry and some other starters!!!! Wow..we needed that!!!

Hey Spec, you doing okay? You're not suicidal now that your boy toy is gone?

BoyToy?? Yes last year I said I was all for keeping Carr versus going with a rookie and putting the team in a hole for another few years. Build from the tremches out. I was very leary of young, I will not denie that or go back on my comments. After last years draft I was fine with how things went down.

But I have also said since this past season carr regressed that the team should move in a different direction. I love this trade, sorry if I actually use logic when I look at the team as a whole and not just being a tsipper or a Carr homer. I am all about the team getting better in all phases not just going with the most hyped pick.

That is why I have been a HUGE Levi brown guy this year.

As long as Shaub doesn't trip over himself, the offense will do well. I being optimistic about the trade, even though losing draft picks hurts...but Schaub is a much better QB than anyone in the draft IMO.

As long as Shaub doesn't trip over himself, the offense will do well. I being optimistic about the trade, even though losing draft picks hurts...but Schaub is a much better QB than anyone in the draft IMO.

Forget the QB's in the draft...

He's a much better QB than David Carr, and that's what counts.

:)

You don't know that. he COULD be a better QB than David. At this point, he's TC proved and thats it. I will admit it would take almost nothing to become better than DC, but still, at this point, you can't say he's actually better

I must admit I didn't see this one coming. I did not think Atlanta would be willing to give up Schaub for anything less than the farm (and that's damn near what we paid them) and I never envisioned the Texans pursuing him or parting with so much draft real estate.

Had to. Would have liked to have kept him tho. Schuab was not the Ideal fit in our new offense, he's better for your WCO style. Plus being financially married to Vick ensured we would move Schaub this year. If we did not we would have got left holding the bag for nothing next year when he became a UFA. Although there was an assumption if Vick did not take the Falcons into the playoffs this year under our new coach and system, Matt would have been signed and Vick shopped out next year. But that was never really feasable with our new offense and financial situation.

and you base this on what? Schaub's 3 games in the NFL?

he may indeed be better, I hope he is great!, but who knows at this point? don't let your hatred overpower your sense of reason.

One of the things Schaub has going for him is that he hasn't suffered such a beating that he's developed some bad habits.

Just trying for some positive spin for ya!I'm a fan of the trade. We will all find out down the road.
I'm getting over the sticker shock and no point whining over what is done. Go kick some ***, Schaub. I gotta admit, it's got me really looking forward to OTA's and TC. As if I wasn't already

One of the things Schaub has going for him is that he hasn't suffered such a beating that he's developed some bad habits.

Carr has lots of bad habits that contributed the beating he took here. When things got tough, he reverted back to them and compounded the problem. I'm VERY interested to see how our O-line looks in the regular season. Has anyone else noticed how much Floyd Reese resembles Bob McNair? Reese is on ESPN right now and I thought it was McNair at first.

and you base this on what? Schaub's 3 games in the NFL?

he may indeed be better, I hope he is great!, but who knows at this point? don't let your hatred overpower your sense of reason.

I've never been an emotional guy. I've never been the type to just say things for the he!! of it...

You can quote me, take a picture or write it down...

He IS better than David Carr.

You don't know that. he COULD be a better QB than David. At this point, he's TC proved and thats it. I will admit it would take almost nothing to become better than DC, but still, at this point, you can't say he's actually better

YOU don't know that....

I KNOW he's better than David.

YOU don't know that....

I KNOW he's better than David.
I'm quite interested in how you KNOW he's better than DC. I admire the strength of your convictions, but it's really nothing more than faith. I don't want to get too far into this, cuz I might jinx the guy, and I hope he comes in and kicks butt.

Carr has lots of bad habits that contributed the beating he took here. When things got tough, he reverted back to them and compounded the problem. I'm VERY interested to see how our O-line looks in the regular season. Has anyone else noticed how much Floyd Reese resembles Bob McNair? Reese is on ESPN right now and I thought it was McNair at first.

The problem is that people will say, if they look better or good, that Carr never had a line like that. However, people, well some it seems here,
don't really get how much a few little moves with the footwork can change how good a line works. I'm expecting good things.

I'm quite interested in how you KNOW he's better than DC. I admire the strength of your convictions, but it's really nothing more than faith. I don't want to get too far into this, cuz I might jinx the guy, and I hope he comes in and kicks butt.

I am past trying to convince people.

Some said that I don't know.....All I was doing was rejecting that claim, because I do know....Just like I knew David was terrible, and just like I knew he wouldn't be the starting QB for this team after this year...

I'm often wrong, but I'm pretty sure about this.

I'm quite interested in how you KNOW he's better than DC.

I believe Schaub will be better than Carr not because that requires Schaub to be a good player but because Carr has played so poorly. The bar is set so low at this point that I believe that Sage could have played at least as well as David. I believe Schaub will be a good player but all he needs to be is not bad and he'll be a major improvement. Carr may or may not be more talented than both guys combined but that doesn't matter if he can't do it on the field... and to this point, he hasn't.

OK, I feel like an ***** having to ask this, but I rarely listen to TV/radio commentators (plus I don't usually listen to audio on the computer). How exactly is Schaub pronounced? Is it like Schwab, or Schawb, or Schoob, or Schowb, or what?

OK, I feel like an ***** having to ask this, but I rarely listen to TV/radio commentators (plus I don't usually listen to audio on the computer). How exactly is Schaub pronounced? Is it like Schwab, or Schawb, or Schoob, or Schowb, or what?

Rhymes with Cobb.

I believe Schaub will be better than Carr not because that requires Schaub to be a good player but because Carr has played so poorly. The bar is set so low at this point that I believe that Sage could have played at least as well as David. I believe Schaub will be a good player but all he needs to be is not bad and he'll be a major improvement. Carr may or may not be more talented than both guys combined but that doesn't matter if he can't do it on the field... and to this point, he hasn't.
Now THAT is a well thought out response and one I tend to agree with. I DO believe he needs to be better than merely "not bad", though, because a #7(39 overall) 2nd round pick in this years draft is a pretty dang good pick. There will be some rock solid players there. I would be happy as a pig in slop if it had been just 1 2nd rounder and a deal for DC had been complete(or close to it) before making the announcement.

Carr never had a chance with the lousy OL he had in front of him. I don't think Schaub would have done any better. I just hope Carr goes to a team where he will have a line and gets a chance to prove himself. I think the only reason they are making Carr the fall guy is to cover their own mistakes, which have been many.:Tumblewee

Carr never had a chance with the lousy OL he had in front of him. I don't think Schaub would have done any better. I just hope Carr goes to a team where he will have a line and gets a chance to prove himself. I think the only reason they are making Carr the fall guy is to cover their own mistakes, which have been many.:Tumblewee

I see...using an admitted mistake to cover up mistakes...sheer genius.!!:lightbulb:
I wish I knew what the FO is thinking, cuz as of right now, I'm so confused my head hurts.

I see...using an admitted mistake to cover up mistakes...sheer genius.!!:lightbulb:
I wish I knew what the FO is thinking, cuz as of right now, I'm so confused my head hurts.

NEW REGIME! Rick and Gary will turn this thing around and make the RIGHT decisions. It's not Gary's fault...he was STUCK with David Carr and the team of misfits from last season. He'll get his players in here and make everything right.

Back