Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Random Thought of the Day

cool NFL gif

tumblr_nrjnn8E63d1rvn2ylo1_500.gif

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Numbers now in: Patriots kicker Stephen Gostkowski is signing a four-year, $17.2 million deal to beat franchise deadline, per source.​

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
And I was taken by strength of Stephen Gostkowski's deal. $10.1M fully guar, $6M to sign; $8.1M in 2015; $10.7M thru 2 years; $13.7M thru 3.​
In the thread re. NFL rule changes (the point after set back), I posted that this would be the beginning of putting kickers at a new premium. Looks like it's already beginning.

Went to get some open training camp tickets and the dates announced initially were all sold out. But they added some new dates.
As of 10:30 am Houston time, the mothership had not added these new dates on the website.
http://www.houstontexans.com/tickets/camp-ticket-info.html
I suspect these will go pretty fast too.

Try this link and go straight to ticketmaster....

http://www.ticketmaster.com/search?...+training+camp&q=houston+texans+training+camp

Tom Brady Leads All Players on NFLPA Top 50 Player Sales List

– Rankings Include All Products Sold in FY16 Q1 by 80+
NFLPA Licensees via Online and Traditional Retail Outlets –

– Brady Outselling Competition in Hardlines; First Time Two
Rookie QBs Rank Among Top 10 Best Sellers; Seven “Rising 50”
Players Jumping Onto List; Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick
Leading in Kids’ and Women’s Merchandise, Respectively –​

WASHINGTON D.C., July 23, 2015 – New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is the current undisputed retail champion, ranking No. 1 for the first time on the NFLPA Top 50 Player Sales List for FY16 Q1. The list is based on total sales of all officially licensed merchandise from March 1 through May 31, 2015. The Super Bowl XLIX champion unseated Russell Wilson of the Seattle Seahawks, who topped all players in sales on the NFLPA’s FY15 year-end report that saw Brady finish a then-best third place.

Quarterbacks dominated during Q1, which is historically the lowest quarter in terms of sales volume for licensees, with Brady, the San Francisco 49ers’ Colin Kaepernick, Wilson, the Green Bay Packers’ Aaron Rodgers and the Denver Broncos’ Peyton Manning in the top five spots. Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt, Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman and New York Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham, Jr. were joined for the first time in the top 10 of a sales report by a pair of rookie quarterbacks – the Tennessee Titans’ Marcus Mariota and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ Jameis Winston. Philadelphia Eagles running back DeMarco Murray, Seattle Seahawks tight end Jimmy Graham, Cleveland Browns cornerback Joe Haden, Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski and Buffalo Bills running back LeSean McCoy completed the top 15 best sellers.

The list, released quarterly by NFL Players Inc., the marketing and licensing arm of the NFLPA, is based on overall sales of all licensed products from online and traditional retail outlets as reported by more than 80 NFLPA licensees such as Nike, VF Imagewear, Fanatics, Outerstuff, Fathead, McFarlane Toys, Oyo Sports, Bleacher Creatures, FBF Originals, Forever Collectibles, FanPrint and Photo File. Licensed product categories include men’s, women’s and youth game jerseys and t-shirts, player murals, figurines, matted and framed photos, bobbleheads, drinkware, socks, jewelry, electronic device accessories, among others.

Additional highlights:

• Brady outsold all players in Oyo Sports mini-figures, Forever Collectibles bobbleheads (followed by teammate Gronkowski), Fatheads and Lids custom player headwear.
  • Kaepernick and Brady ranked first and second, respectively, in Nike jerseys.
  • Wilson was most popular among kids in hardlines and apparel – followed by Rodgers, Watt, Manning and Kaepernick – which includes licensees Bleacher Creatures, Outerstuff and Oyo Sports.
  • In women’s apparel, Kaepernick reigned supreme with Brady, Wilson, Rodgers and Watt rounding out the top five.
  • Appearing for the first time on a Top 50 report was Haden (No. 13) and Miami Dolphins defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh (No. 22).
  • From Q3 to Q1, new Seahawk Jimmy Graham vaulted from No. 40 to No. 12, while Oakland Raiders quarterback Derek Carr jumped 20 spots to No. 30.
  • Mariota, Winston and wide receiver Kevin White of the Chicago Bears were the only rookies among the FY16 Q1 top 50 best sellers.
  • Mariota also led in collegiate co-brand hardlines which includes licensees Oyo Sports, Fanatics, Forever Collectibles, Team Beans and Team Spirit Store; a pair of surprises on the collegiate co-brand list included Washington Redskins quarterback Colt McCoy and Eagles quarterback Tim Tebow in the 10th and 11th spots, respectively. Tebow returns to the Top 50 report for the first time since 2012.
  • Despite missing the 2014 season to injury, Giants receiver Victor Cruz was the top-selling sock from FBF Originals.
  • Joe Thomas of the Browns was the first offensive lineman to appear on the report (No. 45) since the NFLPA began compiling in 2012.
  • New faces in new places drove sales with Murray (Philadelphia), Graham (Seattle), McCoy (Buffalo), Darrelle Revis and Brandon Marshall (New York Jets), Suh (Miami) and Tebow (Philadelphia) all among the best sellers.
  • Beckham jumped from the NFLPA “Rising 50” List, which projects future top sellers of licensed merchandise, into eighth place on the overall Q1 list. Other Rising 50 players who moved from prospects to emerging retail stars included Raiders linebacker Khalil Mack (No. 26), Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown (No. 29), Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman (No. 35), Bears wide receiver Alshon Jeffery (No. 38), Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles (No. 43) and 49ers running back Carlos Hyde (No. 49).
NFLPA Top 50 Player Sales Rankings – FY16 Q1 (March 1-May 31, 2015):

1. Tom Brady, New England Patriots
2. Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco 49ers
3. Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks
4. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers
5. Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos
6. J.J. Watt, Houston Texans
7. Richard Sherman, Seattle Seahawks
8. Odell Beckham, Jr., New York Giants
9. Marcus Mariota, Tennessee Titans
10. Jameis Winston, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
11. DeMarco Murray, Philadelphia Eagles
12. Jimmy Graham, Seattle Seahawks
13. Joe Haden, Cleveland Browns
14. Rob Gronkowski, New England Patriots
15. LeSean McCoy, Buffalo Bills
16. Andrew Luck, Indianapolis Colts
17. Jordy Nelson, Green Bay Packers
18. Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys
19. Clay Matthews, Green Bay Packers
20. Navorro Bowman, San Francisco 49ers
21. Darrelle Revis, New York Jets
22. Ndamukong Suh, Miami Dolphins
23. Brandon Marshall, New York Jets
24. Marshawn Lynch, Seattle Seahawks
25. Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints
26. Khalil Mack, Oakland Raiders
27. Johnny Manziel, Cleveland Browns
28. Earl Thomas, Seattle Seahawks
29. Antonio Brown, Pittsburgh Steelers
30. Derek Carr, Oakland Raiders
31. Tim Tebow, Philadelphia Eagles
32. Jason Witten, Dallas Cowboys
33. Calvin Johnson, Detroit Lions
34. Sammy Watkins, Buffalo Bills
35. Julian Edelman, New England Patriots
36. Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys
37. Eddie Lacy, Green Bay Packers
38. Alshon Jeffery, Chicago Bears
39. Patrick Willis, San Francisco 49ers*
40. Luke Kuechly, Carolina Panthers
41. Teddy Bridgewater, Minnesota Vikings
42. Kam Chancellor, Seattle Seahawks
43. Blake Bortles, Jacksonville Jaguars
44. Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
45. Joe Thomas, Cleveland Browns
46. Kevin White, Chicago Bears
47. Eric Reid, San Francisco 49ers
48. Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers
49. Carlos Hyde, San Francisco 49ers
50. Demaryius Thomas, Denver Broncos​

LeSean "The Show Will Go On" McCoy is a clueless idiot. Please pass me the popcorn. :popcorn:

Report: LeSean McCoy party is still on
Posted by Mike Florio on July 24, 2015, 10:20 AM EDT

After the Bills pulled the plug on the Instagram post touting a ladies-only party thrown by running back LeSean McCoy, it was unclear whether the ladies-only party would proceed.

Reportedly, it will.

According to Mare McKeever of Philly.com, the party is on.

“This is 100 percent a private party at a private location. We are being very selective with who we invite. We don’t want a bunch of random guys he doesn’t know showing up,” McCoy’s publicist, Damian Jordan, told McKeever.

Actually, McCoy doesn’t want any guys showing up. Other than the guys he considers close friends, presumably.

Jordan also confirmed that the ladies invited to attend will indeed be signing some form of a confidentiality agreement. But will that really matter? If someone decides to sneak in a phone (surely, efforts will be made to confiscate anything that could capture video or audio at the door) and capture images from the party and sell them to TMZ, what will McCoy do? File a lawsuit?

Then there’s the chance that TMZ or someone else will pay someone in advance to attend the party for the purpose not of partying but of generating evidence of what happens at the party.

The NFL and the Bills can’t stop McCoy from going forward with the party, but they can explain to him the potential consequences, if the Personal Conduct Policy is violated in any way. On past occasions, the NFL has sent letters to players who publicly vowed to inflict injury on, for example, the opposing quarterback with a stern warning of what will happen if the playing rules are violated in the process. With the league so focused on off-field misconduct, there’s not much of a difference here.

Meanwhile, the forbidden-fruit quality of the party, thanks to the buzz resulting from the team’s directive that McCoy take down the Instagram post and the media coverage of the event, could result in even more women attempting to get an invitation. Which could make the Bills and the NFL even more nervous about what may transpire.

Greg Auman ‏@gregauman

Bucs backup cornerback C.J. Wilson lost two fingers on one hand in a fireworks accident July 4, the Lincoln (N.C.) Times-News is reporting.​

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
Wilson lost two fingers in the recent accident. His focus right now is on his health. His future in football is TBD at this point.

Per his agent Joel Turner, Bucs CB CJ Wilson is retiring "at this time" following his fireworks incident recently.​

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
Wilson lost two fingers in the recent accident. His focus right now is on his health. His future in football is TBD at this point.

Per his agent Joel Turner, Bucs CB CJ Wilson is retiring "at this time" following his fireworks incident recently.​

Studies have established grip strength contributions assigned to individual digit presence (the percentage contributions of the index, middle, ring, and small fingers to grip are approximately 25%, 35%, 25%, and 14%, respectively). With loss of his index and middle finger and therefore a loss of ~60%of his grip strength, his future return as a CB does not look especially promising.

Studies have established grip strength contributions assigned to individual digit presence (the percentage contributions of the index, middle, ring, and small fingers to grip are approximately 25%, 35%, 25%, and 14%, respectively). With loss of his index and middle finger and therefore a loss of ~60%of his grip strength, his future return as a CB does not look especially promising.

th

It had to be done.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Vikings' veterans and rookies also report today. So as of today, Vikings' and Steelers' full squads in camp. No other teams report till Wed.

Steelers -- rookies and veterans -- report to training camp today. Steelers are first NFL veterans to report this summer. And so it begins.​

Peter King @SI_PeterKing
If Mike Tomlin coaches out this contract thru 2018 (and why won’t he?) that’ll mean 3 Steelers coaches in exactly 50 seasons.​

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
#Seahawks DE Michael Bennett also has said he wants more money, mulling his options. A better candidate to show up, though.

Sources: #Seahawks S Kam Chancellor wants more money, has told Seattle that he’s strongly considering a camp holdout to make it happen.​

Re-do one player's contract(Lynch) and they all want some.

This is pretty wild looking...

Titans prepare for season with chaotic receiver drill

When training camp practices are open to the general public, and when players are working out without full pads on, there tends to be a larger section of the American public that believes they might some day be able to be a professional football player.

On Sunday, though, the Tennessee Titans might have whittled that faction down with a mind-numbing receiver drill.

Just look at this chaos. I could just imagine this taking place in the NFL Media newsroom for about 15 seconds before a massive cacophony of screams, broken bones and rolling garbage cans took over.

NFL players are pretty incredible.​

This is pretty wild looking...

Titans prepare for season with chaotic receiver drill

When training camp practices are open to the general public, and when players are working out without full pads on, there tends to be a larger section of the American public that believes they might some day be able to be a professional football player.

On Sunday, though, the Tennessee Titans might have whittled that faction down with a mind-numbing receiver drill.

Just look at this chaos. I could just imagine this taking place in the NFL Media newsroom for about 15 seconds before a massive cacophony of screams, broken bones and rolling garbage cans took over.

NFL players are pretty incredible.​
Reminds me of the Globetrotter warmup weave

One man's exit...

News broke of my retirement last week the way news always seems to break in sports, in
a tweet, on a ticker somewhere, maybe a sound bite.

There is more I want to say, however, and I’m glad to say it here.

To my family, friends, coaches and teammates -- I want to thank you all for being a part
of my life and career. This experience has been less than what I expected for myself but
more than I ever dreamed of. This wasn't the way I imagined exiting the game. I thought
I'd have a breaking news press conference on ESPN. We all do, at some point, I guess.

Nevertheless, here I am staring into the abyss of my iPhone 6. What to say? Who to
thank? Where to start?

If you don't know my story, my name is Keith Rivers. I was an all blah blah high school
player. I went to USC and played in two national championship games and won two Rose
Bowls. I started three of my four seasons. I also donned the famed No. 55 and added
myself to the All-American wall. I was drafted ninth overall by the Bengals and in four
seasons I experienced the highest of the highs and many lows. Cincinnati changed my life
for the better. I left there for a town so nice they named it twice and I had a blast in New
York. This past year I spent in Buffalo, and that was another experience that I'm thankful
for.

Of my seven years in the NFL, I have about 50 starts, a couple hundred tackles, and lots
of great experiences. I signed a deal with the Dallas Cowboys this spring and so you're
probably thinking to yourself "why are you retiring at 29?! You have a chance to wear a
Cowboys uniform. You're crazy!" Well I'm not crazy; it's just the right time. Do I think I
can still play at a high level? No doubt. However, looking at this objectively, what makes
me feel like it's done is my ego. As much as I feel like it's not, it is. Just like one of those
eight balls when you shake it, it all points to ego instead of yes. It's humbling to say I'm
not mentally strong enough to check my ego anymore.

I was lucky to be drafted very high and have had the stewardship of Joe Nolan and Frank
Fairbanks to keep me on track financially so that I was prepared when this moment came.
Many guys aren't, and that's sad. I wanted to play, but only if it was the perfect situation.
Some might say if you wait for the perfect situation it's never going to come. You have
to create the perfect situation.

When Doug Whaley (GM of the Bills) cut me, I was ironically studying for the GMAT at
the Beverly Hills Library. So I guess it seems that after so many years of creating that
perfect situation in football, I no longer wish to create it in that arena. Water drops from
my eyes thinking about NEVER riding on the bus to the stadium, going through my
routines like putting my left sock on first, drinking water before Gatorade, listening to the
"I've Got to Be Unstoppable" remix before lacing my low top Nikes, going on the field
and taking it all in before the masses walk through the turnstiles and fill up the stadium,
humming the national anthem, going through last thoughts waiting for the last note to end
and crack a smelling salt because it's war time. Playing in high school we always had to
practice on fall break. My coach Willie Pauldo would say that while all the regular kids
were at the beach we were different and had what it took to make that commitment. In a
scene from the movie "The Program" the coach asks the players to say a few words and
what stuck out was a player saying "What I like most about football is being different...
we do what others can't do."

Many people played a major part in that. Hopefully I don’t forget anyone here.

I'd like to start by giving thanks to my entire family, especially my brothers and
father. I'll start with Reggie. Growing up, you were the coolest big brother a kid could
have. In your first year of peewee football you were named MVP. I wanted to be just like
you. But what made the biggest impact on my life was your heartfelt advice. One day you
told me, "Every morning when you wake up tell yourself that you're the greatest." That
advice was pivotal in giving me the confidence to become successful in the game and in
life. For whatever reason I was dumb/smart enough to listen to you, because I actually
did it and I started to believe it!

To Gary, you were and always will be everything to me. Like Reggie, Gary got MVP of
the same peewee league. He's the daredevil of the family. He's got middle child
complex, probably from missing out on the height and size genes! Nevertheless he's
strong as an ox. Gary, you've been there for me like a loyal shepherd. I've got stories for
years sitting in the garage listing to you and Ned talk about getting music in your cars and
playing ball again. Honestly, I get speechless when I think about all the things you've
done to help me become the man that I am. The lessons you bestowed about grades and
how to get to the next level meant everything to my development. No one story can do
justice to how you much you've meant to me as an athlete, brother, friend and all around
human being.

Without my father, I would not be here (aside from obvious reasons). He is a hell of man.
Dad, as I embark on what will be my toughest battle to date, I'm baffled by how you
managed to retire from 20 years in the military while getting divorced and raising three
kids. I've seen a lot of strong people in my life but you sir are the strongest I've ever
seen. I admire you for so many reasons - your clothing style not being one of them. As I
get more gray hair I notice that I'm starting to become more and more like you. For my
whole life I've dreaded that moment! But now that it's here, I guess it's not so bad. You're
funny without even knowing it. You have a huge heart. You'll take on any challenge. And
as you say, "you're not a Rivers if you're not fast", so I owe you for my wheels. I could
go on for days about your sacrifice but I'll end with this: I was listening to a podcast
about family and the guy said parents are like rocket boosters and that once the spaceship
gets high enough, the boosters fall off. Well, Dad, I'm here to tell you that you've
boosted me to Pluto. Thank you for all the support and wisdom but most importantly
thanks for being you.

To my incredible friends, coaches and teammates, you guys are and have been that
shepherd when Gary couldn't be there. The list of names that have helped me is endless,
and shows how much help it takes for one person to reach a dream. From the PMC's to
the Regas and the Barretts, to the good family Kelly's Muzzekas... and to all of my
teachers, including Ms. Kraus, whom without her I'd still be in Spanish class. I remember
Coach Stanton saying, "You should pick a school where you want to live because it's
probably where you're going to end up living." It was the best advice and I give it to
young players all the time. Coach Pauldo, coach Marsh Sample, Fitz, Don and Joan, you
helped me get through some times. Ruck, I spent some of the best times of my life with
you (make it hot). Alex, Dhani, The Brakoviches, and the Collins family treating me like
one of their own and exposing me to another life at Thanksgiving when I was at Southern
Cal. The McCourts, the Partons, Thomas, T2, LJ...I wish I could name you all. But there
are two guys that I want to say something extra special about - Ken Norton Jr. and Josh.

Josh, I live in the bird streets because of you. You've exposed me to a life that few in
L.A. see because you thought enough of an 18-year-old kid from Florida. I've received
the best advice directly or indirectly via someone you've introduced me to. You've
exposed me to fine art on a collector's level. You've been a great friend. We've created a
lifetime worth of memories in 11 years.

Ken, or "Kenny" as Pete always called him, I don't know about the other 'backers, but I
know what kind of impact you had on Thomas and me. To this day we still live by all the
sayings and lessons you shared with us. Thank you for being a father figure.

I can't forget my agents Ryan and Andrew Kessler, two loyal guys, along with my
amazing girlfriend Aryn who have all had the pleasure of dealing with the basket case
that is me! I also want to give a special shoutout to the incredible Trojan fans and to
those who cheered (or booed!) me throughout my NFL career in Ohio, New York and
Dallas.

I'm terrified to leave what I know. I'm terrified that I can't earn right now what I've
earned in the NFL. I'm terrified to lose the identity I've tried so hard not to entrench
myself in. But today I'm also proud to say I'm being who I am. I'm being what I was
taught to be from a young age when I started playing. I'm going to be different. I'm not
going to put the suit on one more time. I'm going to recreate success by using the same
discipline and work ethic that made me who I am... Keith Rivers.

Best wishes and Fight On!

-Keith Rivers​

http://www.usctrojans.com/blog/Keith Rivers Letter.pdf

I'm watching live coverage of the Browns "Orange & Brown" scrimmage on NFLN.

Question: How do you cheer for your team making a TD when your team just gave up a TD?

I'm watching live coverage of the Browns "Orange & Brown" scrimmage on NFLN.

Question: How do you cheer for your team making a TD when your team just gave up a TD?
You cheer for your team making a good play. Given that you're watching the Browns, any signs of life by that offense is cheer-worthy. :)

Charles haley i guess going to HOF.if i read NFL network facebook

Nothing against him but 5 time probowler..12 seasons

But DR Doom cant make it ..FU NFL

Last edited:
Career highlights and awards
7× Pro Bowl selection (1976, 1977, 1978,1979, 1980, 1981, 1982)
5× First-team All-Pro selection (1976, 1977,1978, 1979, 1980)
1× Second-team All-Pro selection (1981)
5× First-team All-AFC selection (1976, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1982)
3× First-team All-AFC selection (1975, 1977, 1981)
NFL 1970s All-Decade Team
1975 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year

Wilipedia but uggh.

I would like to message on of the nfl network gurus about if a,player would have enough credentials of the Hall (being the Hall is about players and not teams...)
Yes SB count but in the pre free agency days where like haley jumped teams while they were in their prime

Not taking anything away from his accomplishments (Haley ) but what doom did and awards he got as in individual was impressive befor the nfl started counting sacks (82)

USA Today 2015 Projections

AFC SOUTH
Colts (13-3): It seems they'll again benefit from playing in the league's weakest division. And if their incremental pattern of success under coach Chuck Pagano and QB Andrew Luck holds, they'll reach Super Bowl 50.
Texans (6-10): Quarterback aside, they looked fairly formidable elsewhere — until Arian Foster was injured. No matter how good the defense is, and Jadeveon Clowney could take it to new level, offense doesn't seem capable of holding up its end now if Foster is out for long stretch.
Jaguars (6-10): The core of young talent has quickly improved, and this team plays hard for coach Gus Bradley — whose job may be on the line without a spike in the win column.
Titans (4-12): Let's have some patience with Marcus Mariota, who inherits a last-place schedule that still features trips to New Orleans and the AFC East gauntlet.

AFC Championship Game: (1) Colts def. (2) Patriots
NFC Championship Game: (1) Packers def. (2) Seahawks

Super Bowl 50: Packers def. Colts

What happens if Andrew Luck tears his ACL Week 1. Are the Colts still a lock to go 13-3? They added a couple of aging offensive players in Andre Johnson and Frank Gore. Not exactly positions you can expect to be older at and still highly productive. Their offensive line is going to be dominated by all three of their AFC South rival defensive lines, especially the Texans.

Back