Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Random Thought of the Day

If you think a QB can do it all alone cool. Keep looking at stats and not games. Im saying we don't know what he can do.

I've watched the majority of RG3's snaps in the NFL and I can tell you that I 100% don't think he's an NFL starting QB. He doesn't put the work in, his teammates don't like/respect him, and he's not as good as he thinks he is. He has huge holes in his game that he has not only not improved in those areas, but has regressed. If you think he's gotten a raw deal from WAS, that's fine. If you think his teammates are shortchanging him, that's fine. But all of it falls back on one guy. That's really all I have to say about it. I don't for one second think this is anyone else fault but RG3's.

Three things:
1) Why does it need to be explained?
2) Why do you need to explain it?
3) Why don't you go over to the NSZ and create a thread on it to start the discussion?
Just informing. Anti-Christ is OK outside of the restricted zone. Goose and Gander are NOT equal.

In 2013, the year of the "ACL scare" there were 31 torn ACLs in the NFL before the start of the regular season. In 2014, there were 22. This year, with already 25 torn ACLs with lots of time still left in the preseason, we are well on our way to possibly seeing a record breaker. It's difficult for me not to point to the lax approach to the offseason/preseason dictated since the new CBA came into effect.

PDS ‏@PatDStat 12h12 hours ago
Gary going to have to let Peyton be Peyton. Don’t know if he can though.

This was a point I brought up long time ago. Peyton is used to being his own man............that's what's made him Peyton. Kubiak is used to being his own man...........that's what's made him Kubiak. Many said that each would "give" a little of their "power" up. So far, it appears that
their union has had a negative effect on Peyton.

Doc, Do you have an opinion on Devante Parker's ability to play, being ready week 1 after having a screw removed from his foot?

Doc, Do you have an opinion on Devante Parker's ability to play, being ready week 1 after having a screw removed from his foot?
In response to Playoffs' question on CloakNNNdagger, Jun 5, 2015

We indeed had that discussion and I posted the answer..........link now errors out.

Here is essence of the old post. Parker sustained Jones fracture back in end of Sept 2014 (surgically repaired with a screw), he returned Oct 18 2014, and played on it only a little over 2 months.........until just recently with OTAs.

I related at the time that if the screw repair holds and he has no nonunion of the fracture, he should do fine. However, the period of highest risk for refracture/screw failure was the first 6 months. He only had opportunity to test out the repair for 2 months............and now he has been taken back to surgery. Evidently, for his return estimate to be so short, the fracture site did not require bone grafting (otherwise he would be out the rest of the season), and what has occurred is unfortunately not uncommon......the screw broke, and a new larger screw had been placed to replace it.

Since the screw alone simply failed (which is the more common scenario)......and there was no re-fracture/splintering of the bone, placement of a new larger diameter screw should now allow him an excellent chance to be free from further problems. Screws in Jones fractures are seldom removed permanently.......usually only if there is severe discomfort associated with it. Were you implying that the last screw was removed recently??

Last edited:
In response to Playoffs' question on CloakNNNdagger, Jun 5, 2015

Since the screw alone simply failed (which is the more common scenario)......and there was no re-fracture/splintering of the bone, placement of a new larger diameter screw should now allow him an excellent chance to be free from further problems. Screws in Jones fractures are seldom removed permanently.......usually only if there is severe discomfort associated with it. Were you implying that the last screw was removed recently??

No, I may have been confused on the purpose of the last surgery. Thanks for your reply.

Seahawks DT Jesse Williams, who Williams was diagnosed with Papillary Type 2 cancer of the kidney earlier and tried to come back during TC, will miss the 2015 season.

This is unfortunately should not be a surprise. My prayers go out to this young man.

The 2- and 5-year cancer specific survival rates after radical removal of the kidney are ~30% and 0%, respectively, in these patients. Most non-metastatic type II papillary kidney cancer patients develop disease recurrence at an average interval of 6 months after surgery

Last edited:
Seahawks DT Jesse Williams, who Williams was diagnosed with Papillary Type 2 cancer of the kidney earlier and tried to come back during TC, will miss the 2015 season.

Speaking of Williams, CND, do you have a quick rundown perhaps why orthokine isn't approved here? I know it's an FDA issue, but isn't this a pretty tried and tested procedure, other factors perhaps? I'm going the lazy route by asking, but thought maybe you've done your own reading on it and had a cliff's notes you could maybe drop here.

Speaking of Williams, CND, do you have a quick rundown perhaps why orthokine isn't approved here? I know it's an FDA issue, but isn't this a pretty tried and tested procedure, other factors perhaps? I'm going the lazy route by asking, but thought maybe you've done your own reading on it and had a cliff's notes you could maybe drop here.

People wrongly equate Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) injections with Orthokine treatment. But PRP only separates and concentrates the platelets........the cells themselves remain unchanged. Orthokine takes cells out of the blood and manipulates them usually by heating (incubating the blood at a higher temperature increases the amount of anti-inflammatory proteins in the blood) changing their properties characteristics and therefore requires FDA approval as a drug. A drug approval requires firm controlled studies to prove their safety and efficacy.......and to date, this has not been adequately performed by any institution, and the results, although anecdotally promising, remain unproven.

Hope this answers your question.

People wrongly equate Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) injections with Orthokine treatment. But PRP only separates and concentrates the platelets........the cells themselves remain unchanged. Orthokine takes cells out of the blood and manipulates them usually by heating (incubating the blood at a higher temperature increases the amount of anti-inflammatory proteins in the blood) changing their properties characteristics and therefore requires FDA approval as a drug. A drug approval requires firm controlled studies to prove their safety and efficacy.......and to date, this has not been adequately performed by any institution, and the results, although anecdotally promising, remain unproven.

Wasn't up to speed on it equating to a drug treatment, so yup, that helped. Just seems too promising, and profitable, for someone to not want to be at the forefront of any market for it here.

Thanks yo.

Would this be a problem of bureaucratic inflexibility with a procedure which doesn't quite fit the categories or lack of interest by institutions in a potentially promising procedure?

Would this be a problem of bureaucratic inflexibility with a procedure which doesn't quite fit the categories or lack of interest by institutions in a potentially promising procedure?

Can't be blamed on bureaucratic inflexibility or as a procedure which doesn't quite fit the categories................the processing of this final substance clearly fits the FDA definition of "drug"...............Because FDA regulations state that human tissues, such as blood, can only be “minimally manipulated.” This is so that the tissues essentially predictably maintain their normal characteristics and properties and do not introduce unknowns. With the heating of the blood with glass beads, all of the effects have yet to be proven. And as far as there being a lack of interest by institutions, there are well over 4000 physicians throughout the world who have used this process, and still no studies that have consistently demonstrated safety and efficacy. For example, one German study showed that Orthokine joint injections seemed to improve symptoms when compared to hyaluronidase injections and saline placebo injections. But quantification was somewhat hazy. Two years later, the authors found that the injections still had some effect on symptoms. At that period, of interest, the saline placebo injections also showed some continued positive effects, although less. As far as I am aware, the two most prominent sports medicine journals in the United States, The American Journal of Sports Medicine and The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, contain no studies about Orthokine.

In this whole controversy is lost a very important fact. These Orthokiine injections only affect SYMPTOMS (pain) through their anti-inflammmatory mechanism by preventing continued inflammatory cartilage breakdown. These have been touted by many as a miracle "cure for osteoarthritis," when in fact they have no effect on already destroyed cartilage. And with this technique, it must be emphasized that there are no injections or surgery that have been demonstrated to effectively and conclusively regrow cartilage.

Last edited:
Can't be blamed on bureaucratic inflexibility or as a procedure which doesn't quite fit the categories................the processing of this final substance clearly fits the FDA definition of "drug"...............Because FDA regulations state that human tissues, such as blood, can only be “minimally manipulated.” This is so that the tissues essentially predictably maintain their normal characteristics and properties and do not introduce unknowns. With the heating of the blood with glass beads, all of the effects have yet to be proven. And as far as there being a lack of interest by institutions, there are well over 4000 physicians throughout the world who have used this process, and still no studies that have consistently demonstrated safety and efficacy. For example, one German study showed that Orthokine joint injections seemed to improve symptoms when compared to hyaluronidase injections and saline placebo injections. But quantification was somewhat hazy. Two years later, the authors found that the injections still had some effect on symptoms. At that period, of interest, the saline placebo injections also showed some continued positive effects, although less. As far as I am aware, the two most prominent sports medicine journals in the United States, The American Journal of Sports Medicine and The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, contain no studies about Orthokine.

In this whole controversy is lost a very important fact. These Orthokiine injections only affect SYMPTOMS (pain) through their anti-inflammmatory mechanism by preventing continued inflammatory cartilage breakdown. These have been touted by many as a miracle "cure for osteoarthritis," when in fact they have no effect on already destroyed cartilage. And with this technique, it must be emphasized that there are no injections or surgery that have been demonstrated to effectively and conclusively regrow cartilage.
Now I think I get it. The studies are there, but do not support the claims of significant and quantifiable symptom improvement over placebo nor any improvement to the injuries themselves. Sort of another modern Snake Oil remedy?

Last edited:
Chip Kelly now understands the rule on hitting quarterbacks
September 2, 2015, 9:56 AM EDT

Eagles coach Chip Kelly initially didn't understand the rule on the controversial play when quarterback Sam Bradford was hit by Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs. But now he does.

Kelly says that he now knows the NFL allows quarterbacks to get hit after handing the ball off, if the defender isn’t sure if the quarterback still has the ball.

“Those are the rules, so if you're handing the ball off, you can be hit,” Kelly said this week. “Whether you’re underneath the center, it doesn’t matter what run play you have. It was explained to us that you could have your back turned to the defense and if there’s potential for you to bootleg out of it, then you can be hit.”

Kelly said that whether you call the play a zone read, a read option, a shotgun handoff or anything else, the rule is the same.

“It has nothing to do with the play; that was the biggest thing that we came away from it with,” Kelly said. “It doesn’t matter what play you’re running — if you’re handing the ball off and there’s a potential that you could keep it on a bootleg or whatever, you can be hit. So, those are the rules. We’ll practice with the rules they got.”

It’s hard to blame Kelly for being confused at first, considering that the referee working the Ravens-Eagles game was confused as well: Suggs was flagged for “roughing the passer” on the play, even though the league has since confirmed that Suggs’s hit was legal, and roughing the passer is only to be called on plays when the quarterback presents a passing posture.

Kelly doesn’t seem to like the rule, but now he gets it.

I don't like the rule, but now I also get it.

Titans NT Sammie Hill has been dealing with a knee injury since OTAs and has re-injured the knee. It is meniscus injury and surgery is being entertained. Either way his return is up in the air.

Another Colts player bites the dust. DT Art Jones saw several doctors re. torn ankle ligaments. Cartilage damage is suspected. Surgery scheduled.......will determine if IR or possibly even IR with return, depending on findings.

Colts fans weren't sure the sky wasn't falling. Bolts came flying off the roof structure while it was moving,, hitting 3 fans and sending them to the hospital.
~Reschedule ALL their home games to the closest stadium to the competition's home stadium like Baseball did after IKE until they can prove to an arbitrary inspector who is hostile to sports that the stadium is 100% safe. That should be right after the NFL/Brady appeal has been settled circa 2025.~

:sarcasm:

Steeler-Pats week 1...

Dale Lolley @dlolleyor
Steelers HC Mike Tomlin on if he's gotten to know Belichick: No I haven't. If he's tried to get to know Belichick: No I haven't

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Charean Williams @NFLCharean
The state of Texas has the most NFL starting QBs: McCown, Cle; Dalton, Cin; Stafford, Det; Luck, Ind; Tannehill, Mia; Brees, NO; Foles, StL.

By my count, there are 8 backup QBs from the state of Texas: Manziel, Mallett, Daniel, McCown (NO), Petty, Keenum, McCoy and RG3.

Last edited:
How do they count Luck as from Texas, but not Mallett? He played High school ball in Texarkana.

Back