Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Random Thought of the Day

Does it matter? What's it supposed to mean anyway? Have they compared it to Seattle's the year they won the Super Bowl, or the Ravens the year they won?

They're showing how much money teams have invested in their QB1+RB1+whatever. Blue's not our RB1, Foster is. We'd move up that list a few spots if they used Foster's salary instead of Blue's.

They're showing how much money teams have invested in their QB1+RB1+whatever. Blue's not our RB1, Foster is. We'd move up that list a few spots if they used Foster's salary instead of Blue's.

I understand. But does that mean we're closer to that Super Bowl?

I don't think so. That's what I'm saying, or asking. What's he trying to prove?

I understand. But does that mean we're closer to that Super Bowl?

I don't think so. That's what I'm saying, or asking. What's he trying to prove?

That's another thing entirely. I just was commenting that whatever he was looking at was invalid because he wasn't using the right numbers to begin with. If he's using the wrong running back as RB1 for us, what other mistakes are there in his data?

Now, what it MEANS, that's a totally different issue. I mean, from what I'm looking at (assuming his numbers are correct), the Chiefs are paying a whole lot of money to their lead offensive skill players to be a second or third place team in their division, and the same goes for the Lions. OTOH, most of the teams paying the least money are expected to be bottom dwellers... except that the Seahawks would have been down there prior to some of their more recent contracts. To me, it looks like you don't want to be paying your lead offensive skill players either the most or the least. You probably want to be more in the middle so you have enough money for the defense and your lines.

Antonio Brown will lead the NFL in receiving yards in 2015.
He's the most dynamic, explosive WR in the game. #Truth
Dez Bryant and Calvin Johnson just hog all the glory though.

Keep an eye on Odell Beckham Jr. He'll emerge as a top four guy.
DeAndre Hopkins is a top 10 WR in the league. The sky is the limit.
Wanting to go back to the draft last year and select Beckham Jr. #Regret
We could already have two of the youngest wideouts in the league in the top 10.

Chicago Bears ‏@ChicagoBears
Bears GM Ryan Pace says possibility Kevin White could miss entire season.

Kevin White suffered setback last week after sustaining stress fracture in shin during OTAs.

Bears GM Ryan Pace announces WR Kevin White will undergo surgery on shin and miss at least first 6 games.​

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
TE losses racking up: Washington loses Niles Paul and Logan Paulsen for season; Eagles lose Zach Ertz and Jags' Julius Thomas for preseason.​

Last edited:
Antonio Brown will lead the NFL in receiving yards in 2015.
He's the most dynamic, explosive WR in the game. #Truth
Dez Bryant and Calvin Johnson just hog all the glory though.

Keep an eye on Odell Beckham Jr. He'll emerge as a top four guy.
DeAndre Hopkins is a top 10 WR in the league. The sky is the limit.
Wanting to go back to the draft last year and select Beckham Jr. #Regret
We could already have two of the youngest wideouts in the league in the top 10.

I wouldn't say that on this board if I were you. I got bombarded just for listing him #1 above Watkins and Evans in my WR rankings before the draft.

Fullback isn’t a position that has much place in the Dolphins offense devised by head coach Joe Philbin and offensive coordinator Bill Lazor.

Every now and then, the situation calls for one and the team appears to be going the efficiency route in preparing for that possible need by simply adding to the responsibilities of another player. It is defensive tackleEarl Mitchell in this case and he caught a pair of passes in the flat Sunday after lining up in the backfield.

Link

Cardinals defensive lineman Corey Peters (anticipated starting NT) underwent an Achilles tendon rupture repair in 2013. Now he has ruptured his other Achilles.

CM4qA9HWIAAEBC4.png

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CM4qA9HWIAAEBC4.png

You're good enough, you're smart enough, and doggone it it people like you!

New Redskins GM Scot McCloughan with the Stuart Smalley pregame positivity training for RG3.

Redskins OL is terrible. People are going to ride RG3 for being hurt and not completing passes but that's damn ear impossible to do when he's on his ass shortly after the ball is snapped. They're not going to be very good.

Redskins OL is terrible. People are going to ride RG3 for being hurt and not completing passes but that's damn ear impossible to do when he's on his ass shortly after the ball is snapped. They're not going to be very good.

Yeah, posted it in the preseason thread, he took a couple of BAD hits before getting injured.

Can't say I actually gave this much thought before, but if I had, this would not have been my guess! Also, it appears other teams must be sneaking into NRG stadium for practices and preseason games, since I didn't think this happened other places.

I've tried to go back and find ACL injuries. I have come up with 22 ACLs this year........with 13 being suffered just during TC.......and most teams haven't even played preseason game 2.

Can't say I actually gave this much thought before, but if I had, this would not have been my guess! Also, it appears other teams must be sneaking into NRG stadium for practices and preseason games, since I didn't think this happened other places.
Those seems must be sneaking onto other fields.

I think RG3 can still play. If the Redskins move him he'd best suited going to a place where he can sit and learn worry free. I think his time in Washington is coming to an end. I still maintain his teammates don't like him.

I think RG3 can still play. If the Redskins move him he'd best suited going to a place where he can sit and learn worry free. I think his time in Washington is coming to an end. I still maintain his teammates don't like him.
This is RGIII's fourth year in the league, and he's started 35 regular season games. Nobody is going to trade for him to sit on the bench and learn. Plus, "Worry Free" and "Second overall pick playing backup QB in his 4th season" are pretty much mutually exclusive anyway.

This is RGIII's fourth year in the league, and he's started 35 regular season games. Nobody is going to trade for him to sit on the bench and learn. Plus, "Worry Free" and "Second overall pick playing backup QB in his 4th season" are pretty much mutually exclusive anyway.

While you're right it's not likely, but I think it would be good for both parties. Some teams I would think where he could sit and learn are:

Saints-behind Brees
Cowboys-behind Romo
Patriots-behind Brady

Neither team has a need for a few years and would provide an opportunity similar to what Steve Young did with the 49ers. Not saying RGIII has the football IQ Young had at the similar point in their respective careers...again not likely but just a thought.

While you're right it's not likely, but I think it would be good for both parties. Some teams I would think where he could sit and learn are:

Saints-behind Brees
Cowboys-behind Romo
Patriots-behind Brady

Neither team has a need for a few years and would provide an opportunity similar to what Steve Young did with the 49ers. Not saying RGIII has the football IQ Young had at the similar point in their respective careers...again not likely but just a thought.

I don't think there is any way in hell that Griffin can run the Patriots offense.

But those other two options are intriguing. The Cowboys have a great OL and weapons in the passing game. And Payton's downfield attack in NO could take advantage of Griffin's playmaking ability, but I think the Saints just drafted Brees likely replacement in the third round this year.

Saints-behind Brees
Cowboys-behind Romo
Patriots-behind Brady

The Pats and Saints both run complex schemes that rely heavily on the QB to run the offense on the field by audibling and adapting to the defense. I am 100% certain that RG3 can't run those offenses. The guy can barely do a 3-step drop and hit a timing route. It's time to stop blaming Washington and start admitting that RG3 is a bust. From pretty much all reports he never took to coaching under either staff and refuses to take advice from others on how to become better. He fell in love with his own legend during his rookie season and has regressed every single day since then.

The Pats and Saints both run complex schemes that rely heavily on the QB to run the offense on the field by audibling and adapting to the defense. I am 100% certain that RG3 can't run those offenses. The guy can barely do a 3-step drop and hit a timing route. It's time to stop blaming Washington and start admitting that RG3 is a bust. From pretty much all reports he never took to coaching under either staff and refuses to take advice from others on how to become better. He fell in love with his own legend during his rookie season and has regressed every single day since then.

Did you watch that last game? No one would be able to complete a pass with how that OL is playing. They're either extremely incompetent or hate him.

Did you watch that last game? No one would be able to complete a pass with how that OL is playing. They're either extremely incompetent or hate him.

I entirely agree with you. Unfortunately, this does not negate the points brought out by WolverineFan. Both of your points, along with the injuries which have without doubt left him very compromised in comparison to what he was pre-injury, go to what he looked like last game. Furthermore, this "lethal" combination virtually assures that re-injury is in his future.

I still maintain his teammates don't like him.

Do they respect him? He's the defacto leader of the team. The team not liking him is a big strike against. If he can't command their respect, that's another big strike.

If it is so bad that we get what we got in Washington, is there really any reason to hope he'll eventually be a starter? A leader?

I mean for me to be remotely interested, he'd have to be extremely cheap over several years.

How long did it take you to realize Washington's OL stunk? The way RG3 posted up back there makes me feel like he hasn't caught on yet.

Many a QB have & will play behind horrible offensive lines. Then, it's a question of whether or not the QB adds to the problem or minimizes the danger. Losing gobs of yards, the ball, or making dumb decisions in general are not the hallmark of someone who can play.

Colt McCoy came on after RG3 was injured and had a perfect QB rating when he left. McCoy and Cousins are a combined 29/38 this preseason for 358 yards and 2 TD's. Griffin is 6/13 for 44 yards. McCoy and Cousins have combined to be sacked 1 time on over 40 dropbacks. Griffin has been sacked 3 times in less than 20 dropbacks.

He's awful. He can't read defenses. He can't anticipate the rush. He can't get past his first read without bailing out of the pocket. He is afraid of getting hit and panics any time someone looks like they might get the slightest bit of pressure on the pocket. His teammates probably do hate him because he's an awful teammate himself. It's just beyond me how people continue to blame everyone else instead of pointing the finger at RG3. He's in his 4th freaking year and has continually regressed every single year.

Colt McCoy came on after RG3 was injured and had a perfect QB rating when he left. McCoy and Cousins are a combined 29/38 this preseason for 358 yards and 2 TD's. Griffin is 6/13 for 44 yards. McCoy and Cousins have combined to be sacked 1 time on over 40 dropbacks. Griffin has been sacked 3 times in less than 20 dropbacks.

He's awful. He can't read defenses. He can't anticipate the rush. He can't get past his first read without bailing out of the pocket. He is afraid of getting hit and panics any time someone looks like they might get the slightest bit of pressure on the pocket. His teammates probably do hate him because he's an awful teammate himself. It's just beyond me how people continue to blame everyone else instead of pointing the finger at RG3. He's in his 4th freaking year and has continually regressed every single year.

Again, did you watch the game? Stats don't tell the entire story. Watch the drives and then tell me that the OL is blocking the same for him and everyone else.

I think you'll see more of this than selective OL blocking...

I saw the game. I live in the local area. I'm not saying RG3 is great or doesn't make stupid mistakes. I'm saying that OL doesn't block as well for him as they do for everyone else.

I ask again, did anyone watch the game? Did you see them just let defenders through left and right? You know, things that don't show up on the stat sheet.

Do they respect him? He's the defacto leader of the team. The team not liking him is a big strike against. If he can't command their respect, that's another big strike.

If it is so bad that we get what we got in Washington, is there really any reason to hope he'll eventually be a starter? A leader?

I mean for me to be remotely interested, he'd have to be extremely cheap over several years.

I'm not in locker room. I'm basing everything on what I see in local interviews and body language. I don't think they respect him. He's a weird dude and I don't think he's bonded w his team. He comes off as better than tho and that doesn't fly in the league. He's Dan Snyder's boy. Not the HC's boy. Not the OL's boy.

Would I take RG3 as a starter today? Nope. Would I let him sit as a QB3 for a year somewhere else? For the right amount, yup.

Again, did you watch the game? Stats don't tell the entire story. Watch the drives and then tell me that the OL is blocking the same for him and everyone else.

How is this an excuse for his play? It's not his fault because his teammates hate him? Who's fault is that? He's the QB. The team leader. If the team doesn't respect him how does that not fall on him?

How is this an excuse for his play? It's not his fault because his teammates hate him? Who's fault is that? He's the QB. The team leader. If the team doesn't respect him how does that not fall on him?

If you think a QB can do it all alone cool. Keep looking at stats and not games. Im saying we don't know what he can do.

If you think a QB can do it all alone cool. Keep looking at stats and not games. Im saying we don't know what he can do.

But let's say the Redskins players do hate him and do allow players from the other teams to have free shots at him, who's to say players on other teams won't have exactly the same reaction to him?

With that said, it's hard to imagine that a player is going to purposefully whiff on a block to let a guy get creamed because that tape is going to start circulating of them whiffing, and they're going to get a reputation as someone who can't block.

I watched the first half of that game, and to me, it looked more like a lot of indecision and miscommunication from RGIII leading to people being out of place, and leading to him not getting the ball out as quickly as he should. That's not to say there weren't some missed blocks, but unless you know what the assignments are, it's hard for me to blame the linemen because other things are so obviously in RGIII's sphere of responsibility.

Back