Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Random Thought of the Day

you're giving Vick too much credit or Staubach not near enough...

Kind of trying on both. Staubach was a RB in sheep's clothing. Landry had kittens over him. Not in a good way. Vick could have been that guy but didn't have the IQ for it. Staubach knew he could run but he could throw better. It was one of the only times you saw Landry truly perplexed - how do I contain this guy. BUT opposite of Vick, control freak Landry would let Staubach call his own plays because he knew Staubach was a student of the game.

Vick reality was a pale shadow. Vick potential was something else. And f'k him if the rumors are true he didn’t want to be a Texan.

Staubach is my GOAT. I'm giving credit to Vick to even be in a conversation with him.

Dang! Both Mannings have now lost their LT for the year. Beatty tore his pec and Clady just tore his ACL. Feel bad for Clady

Re. Tom Brady's hearing:

PFT has confirmed that the appeal hearing will commence on June 23, and that it will continue if necessary on June 25. The news was first reported by Adam Schefter of ESPN.

Osi Umenyiora ‏@OsiUmenyiora
Legal action has taken place. To those who didn't believe it, I hail you. All others should learn a lesson. Hate is a disease. God Bless.

The Instagram post by @liesofmirrors was false. Created to destroy by a hateful MAN. He has been discovered. It has been taken down.

Oh, the drama...
smiley_faint.gif

So, I know this won't happen, I just can't see BB doing this, but best case scenario for us would be Brady suspension being upheld, Garoppolo stinking it up in the preseason, and Patriots trading for our castoff, whoever that is. The trade may have been mentioned in another thread, so I don't want to claim that idea, but I don't remember which one.

Don't see it, personally. I think JG will be fine, just had a bad day.

So, I know this won't happen, I just can't see BB doing this, but best case scenario for us would be Brady suspension being upheld, Garoppolo stinking it up in the preseason, and Patriots trading for our castoff, whoever that is. The trade may have been mentioned in another thread, so I don't want to claim that idea, but I don't remember which one.
Don't see it, personally. I think JG will be fine, just had a bad day.

I think Garoppolo's gonna be o.k. too, after all ...

oie_iverson_practice1.jpg

So, I know this won't happen, I just can't see BB doing this, but best case scenario for us would be Brady suspension being upheld, Garoppolo stinking it up in the preseason, and Patriots trading for our castoff, whoever that is.

Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Dallas.

Regardless how bad JummyG may, or may not, look in OTAs I'm sure Belicheat will find a way to come out 2-2 or better.

Broncos enforce fart tax in meetings, Von Miller is fined most frequently

Since John Elway has taken over football operations in Denver, the Broncos have:

• somehow and someway made the playoffs with Tim Tebow playing quarterback
    • gone to the Super Bowl
    • started enforcing a fart tax in meetings
One of those factoids is more impressive and unheard of than the rest of them (and no, I'm not talking about making the playoffs with Tebow).

That would be the "fart tax," which I promise you, is not something I'm making up. Well then, how do we know this so-called fart tax?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...-meetings-von-miller-is-fined-most-frequently

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer
Dolphins WR DeVante Parker had foot surgery today. Was told he had a screw in his foot that was replaced. Should be good for opener.

A concern I had about Parker, IIRC Dr CND told me Parker had a high likelihood of reinjury but a positive outlook after that.

edit:
David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc
DeVANTE PARKER revision 5th metatarsal fracture surgery w/ new screw. Good chance wk 1 but will miss significant practice/training camp reps

Last edited:
Another day, another injured Jaguar: 4th rd safety James Sample broke his arm

https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran/status/606855477377531904

EDIT:
Another source:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...r-james-sample-has-surgery-for-fractured-arm/

Another member of the Jaguars rookie class has suffered an injury that required surgery early in their professional career.

The good news is that safety James Sample, a fourth-round selection, isn’t expected to be out nearly as long as first-round pick Dante Fowler, who tore his ACL at the rookie minicamp last month. John Oehser of the Jaguars website passes along word that Sample had surgery on Friday morning after fracturing his right arm during practice on Thursday.

Ryan O’Halloran of the Florida-Times Union adds that Sample suffered the “freak injury” while he was trying to knock the ball away from an offensive player at the end of a play during the workout. The rookie is expected to return to the field at some point during training camp.

Sample was expected to be part of the competition for a starting spot alongside Jonathan Cyprien and his absence could help veteran Sergio Brown wind up with the job to start the year.

Last edited:
Albert Breer @AlbertBreer

A concern I had about Parker, IIRC Dr CND told me Parker had a high likelihood of reinjury but a positive outlook after that.

edit:

We indeed had that discussion and I posted the answer..........link now errors out.

Here is essence of the old post. Parker sustained Jones fracture back in end of Sept 2014 (surgically repaired with a screw), he returned Oct 18 2014, and played on it only a little over 2 months.........until just recently with OTAs.

I related at the time that if the screw repair holds and he has no nonunion of the fracture, he should do fine. However, the period of highest risk for refracture/screw failure was the first 6 months. He only had opportunity to test out the repair for 2 months............and now he has been taken back to surgery. Evidently, for his return estimate to be so short, the fracture site did not require bone grafting (otherwise he would be out the rest of the season), and what has occurred is unfortunately not uncommon......the screw broke, and a new larger screw had been placed to replace it.

Kudos to him. Walk-on as a freshman in college, undrafted out of school, cut by his first team, practice squad elsewhere to finish his first year. Eight years later, and a starter, Pro-Bowler, Super Bowl winner, and some millions of dollars to show for his effort. The NFL should celebrate stories like this more often.

I'm waiting for steelb to recognize the signature on that termination letter.

I'm waiting for steelb to recognize the signature on that termination letter.
meh... it's a form letter. I would think every GM has to sign those.
Given that the letter is dated 2006, Rick Smith was so green somebody probably had to show him where to sign.

meh... it's a form letter. I would think every GM has to sign those.
Given that the letter is dated 2006, Rick Smith was so green somebody probably had to show him where to sign.

Page 159 & 284 of the CBA has the letter and when it is to be delivered to the player. Standard form per the CBA.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Browns also releasing their former punter Spencer Lanning, per source. So it's a special teams revamp - new P, K, LS - in Cleveland.

From moment 49ers used a 5th-round pick on Clemson punter Bradley Pinion, Andy Lee's days in SF were numbered. Now Lee starts fresh in CLEV.

Cleveland is trading a 7th-round pick in 2017 to San Francisco for three-time Pro Bowl punter Andy Lee, league sources told ESPN.

Source: Malcolm Butler benched by Patriots due to missed flight

Patriots cornerback Malcolm Butler has learned a hard lesson about life in the NFL.

Butler was late for the first practice of organized team activities May 18 because he missed a flight on the way to Boston due to weather issues, and he was held off the practice field for three weeks, according to a team source. Butler attempted to fly into Boston the day before OTAs, but the weather-related issues pushed his arrival into the next day.

Butler is supposed to be back on the field this week as the Patriots wrap up their OTAs at Gillette Stadium and head into next week's minicamp.

It's a hard disciplinary measure for the second-year cornerback and Super Bowl hero, who did reach out to the team to let them know of his canceled flight, but players are often advised to travel early enough to avoid weather-related delays. Still, the three-week ban is longer than any known related incidents for past players, especially during a voluntary workout program.

Butler, whose interception sealed the Patriots' victory against the Seahawks in Super Bowl XLIX, has still been at Gillette every day during OTAs, attending all meetings, film sessions and weight room workouts. He has only been kept off the practice field.

The reason for Butler's absences during the two open workouts had been unknown until this development. It's believed Butler will be present tomorrow when the media returns to watch practice.

The team source said Butler was very disappointed to be held out of practice, but he treated it as a lesson learned and has brought the right attitude to Gillette on a daily basis. Upon returning to the field, Butler will compete with Logan Ryan and Bradley Fletcher for the top jobs at cornerback. Robert McClain, Jordan Richards, Dax Swanson and Justin Green are also in the mix for playing time.

Now that Butler is ready to return, the competition will intensify at one of the most focal positions on the roster.​

Three weeks!?!

How exactly is holding a healthy, young player out of practice for that long supposed to be helping your ballclub anyway? I know it's just OTA's and all, but strange.

Redskins players buying into martial arts training

Walk along the sidelines of Redskins OTAs, and it's hard to miss a new set of drills that look very different. Giant men, mostly defensive linemen and linebackers, going through a series of very fast and very physical exchanges with a shorter, smaller coach. As the practices ran for the last few weeks, more information has leaked out about the drills, and the role of the mystery man.

"That’s Master Joe Kim," Washington coach Jay Gruden explained. "He’s part of our strength and conditioning program."

Watching the drills can be captivating, as Kim works through a series of hand-fighting techniques with players that look about twice his size. Last season, Kim worked with the Chicago Bears. Stephen Paea, who the Redskins signed away from Chicago this offseason, enthusiastically credits Kim with much of his success.

"I worked it last year, I was with him in Chicago," Paea said after OTAs on Tuesday. "I went from one sack to six sacks in one year."

Nose tackles generally don't produce sack totals that high, and Paea repeated that to reinforce how important Kim's coaching was for him.

"I was a nose tackle with six sacks."

Paea explained that Kim's work may look like it's focused on hand-to-hand combat in the trenches, but it's much more than that. The footwork that comes with Kim's techniques creates better balance for the defensive linemen, and that balance keeps the momentum focused on disrupting the offense.

"If your footwork is right, and your hands are right, [Kim is] going to take you where you want to go," Paea explained. "Instead of just a rip and run, we're doing certain footwork where we face who we're fighting. Most guys that rip and run, you put your back towards the guard and get pushed out of the way. That's not his way."

It's also worth commending the Redskins brass for bringing in Kim. Most of the NFL does a poor job of trying something new, as the league stays with convention more than any other major pro sports.

"We’re considering whatever is possible," Gruden said. "That’s what we’re trying to do. I’m willing to look at anything to make this team better."

Support for Kim has grown fast.

"I think Taekwondo was his specialty and he brings a lot of other elements to it. I love doing that," LB Trent Murphy said. "Everyone loves it, especially now that it's showing up on tape. Now that guys know it works, they're spending a little extra time with him."

Each week new offensive line coach Bill Callahan works with players well after the official conclusion of practice, and now, there is a growing group putting in extra time with Kim. And more and more players are getting involved, not just the D-line.

"He’s a great guy to have," Gruden said of Kim. "Guys can work on that in the weight room, they can work that out on the field during special teams periods. You see Alfred Morris doing it – our running backs can do it, tight ends can do it. Every position can work hand placement and hand usage at all times and he’s one of the best in the business at doing that."

One position group does not enjoy Kim's training quite so much, and it makes sense. Each practice, the offensive line is facing a defensive counterpart with new martial arts training, chopping down on hands at different angles and incorporating aspects of Taekwondo.

"They're not liking it as much but I think they're working with him too so they can't complain too much," Murphy said about the O-line group, with a smile on his face.​

How exactly is holding a healthy, young player out of practice for that long supposed to be helping your ballclub anyway? I know it's just OTA's and all, but strange.
I suspect they need a better look at the alternatives and this was a convenient excuse.

Redskins players buying into martial arts training

Paea explained that Kim's work may look like it's focused on hand-to-hand combat in the trenches, but it's much more than that. The footwork that comes with Kim's techniques creates better balance for the defensive linemen, and that balance keeps the momentum focused on disrupting the offense.

"If your footwork is right, and your hands are right, [Kim is] going to take you where you want to go," Paea explained. "Instead of just a rip and run, we're doing certain footwork where we face who we're fighting. Most guys that rip and run, you put your back towards the guard and get pushed out of the way. That's not his way."​
Come on... stop trying to hit me and HIT me!
matrix-hand-gesture.jpg

Jets' Antonio Cromartie gets into Twitter spat with Kellen Winslow Jr., references ex-teammates alleged masturbation bust

Antonio Cromartie just landed a verbal one-two combination on an ex-teammate.

Former Jets tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. took a shot at Cromartie on Wednesday, apparently over the fact that the cornerback asked teammate Dee Milliner about being on the “roster bubble” while Cromartie was playing reporter in a group interview Tuesday on the first day of mini-camp.

“Cromartie is one of the biggest posers i have ever seen and played against. Prolly the last guy I would take down an alley with me,” Winslow wrote on Twitter. “Worry about yourself cro. Stop talkin. Your not even close to the best. You got bad feet and are scared to jam.”

“Just speaking my mind this morning. Anybody who talks to their teammates like that... Can't respect em,” he added.
Cromartie saw the tweets, and came back swinging.

“@KellenWinslowJr you wish you were as good as your dad. Have you been to TARGET lately?” Cromartie fired back.
Ouch.

The Target mention was in reference to the fact that a witness said she saw Winslow masturbating in a Target parking lot in November, when he was arrested for possession of synthetic marijuana. Winslow later pleaded not guilty on the synthetic marijuana charge, according to NJ.com.

A spokeswoman for Winslow said in January, when the incident was discovered, that nothing inappropriate occurred in the car. Winslow told the officer he was looking for directions to a Boston Market.

“@CRO31 we should get in the ring,” Winslow wrote back. “@CRO31 let me know. I'll whoop that ass.”

“@CRO31 just know I'm ready for you. #Poser,” he added.

"@CRO31 U wish you were a Dad. Learn your kids names."
Winslow’s father, Kellen Winslow Sr., was a Hall of Fame tight end.​

How does that saying go...

Tis better to remain quiet and be thought a fool,

Than to open your mouth and get called out for spanking-the-monkey at Target.
bow.gif

Last edited:
He gets paid every yr even if he has to change teams. Dude is very talented.

(Not Texans worthy)
You got that last part right.
How long do you think O'Brien would put up with this crap from him?
Not Rick Smith or McNair but Bill O'Brien?

Source: Malcolm Butler benched by Patriots due to missed flight

Patriots cornerback Malcolm Butler has learned a hard lesson about life in the NFL.

Butler was late for the first practice of organized team activities May 18 because he missed a flight on the way to Boston due to weather issues, and he was held off the practice field for three weeks, according to a team source. Butler attempted to fly into Boston the day before OTAs, but the weather-related issues pushed his arrival into the next day.

Butler is supposed to be back on the field this week as the Patriots wrap up their OTAs at Gillette Stadium and head into next week's minicamp.

It's a hard disciplinary measure for the second-year cornerback and Super Bowl hero, who did reach out to the team to let them know of his canceled flight, but players are often advised to travel early enough to avoid weather-related delays. Still, the three-week ban is longer than any known related incidents for past players, especially during a voluntary workout program.

Butler, whose interception sealed the Patriots' victory against the Seahawks in Super Bowl XLIX, has still been at Gillette every day during OTAs, attending all meetings, film sessions and weight room workouts. He has only been kept off the practice field.

The reason for Butler's absences during the two open workouts had been unknown until this development. It's believed Butler will be present tomorrow when the media returns to watch practice.

The team source said Butler was very disappointed to be held out of practice, but he treated it as a lesson learned and has brought the right attitude to Gillette on a daily basis. Upon returning to the field, Butler will compete with Logan Ryan and Bradley Fletcher for the top jobs at cornerback. Robert McClain, Jordan Richards, Dax Swanson and Justin Green are also in the mix for playing time.

Now that Butler is ready to return, the competition will intensify at one of the most focal positions on the roster.​

Three weeks!?!

NFLPA will be all over this.

You got that last part right.
How long do you think O'Brien would put up with this crap from him?
Not Rick Smith or McNair but Bill O'Brien?

Other than having a bunch of children out of wedlock (Like most of the NFL players.) what else is on Cromartie's rap sheet that makes him a bad guy? He hasn't had problems with coaching staffs at S.D./Ariz./ NY Jets. In fact the Cards wanted him back and the Jets paid him more to come back to NY.

If he's such a bad guy why do these teams want him back?

Other than having a bunch of children out of wedlock (Like most of the NFL players.) what else is on Cromartie's rap sheet that makes him a bad guy? He hasn't had problems with coaching staffs at S.D./Ariz./ NY Jets. In fact the Cards wanted him back and the Jets paid him more to come back to NY.

If he's such a bad guy why do these teams want him back?
Desperation.
And you didn't answer my question: Would O'Brien want an attention hound/diva like Cromartie on his team?

Back