Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Random Thought of the Day

Watching "Caught In The Draft" on NFLN. Fascinating stuff about the shenangans that have gone on in past drafts. The 1985 draft is featured now. Lots of crap surrounding moves being made to draft Kosar.

The Oilers drafted Ray Childress at #3 that year. The Niners got Jerry Rice.

I've flipped the channel past those shows a few times and been meaning to stop and check one out. Have you caught the 30 for 30 Elway to Marino episode yet, and if so, are they anything like that?

I've flipped the channel past those shows a few times and been meaning to stop and check one out. Have you caught the 30 for 30 Elway to Marino episode yet, and if so, are they anything like that?

Yeah, they show a lot of that sort of stuff. The episode that's on now is the 95 draft. It was funny watching the Jets fans go ballistic when Kyle Brady was picked instead of Warren Sapp. Someone put the word out on Sapp about failing drug tests at Miami.

Another funny thing is that Coughlin called up the Floyd Reese trying to get the Oilers to swap places - Jax was at 2 and Houston was at 3. Coughlin basically lied and told the Oilers they had two teams wanting to trade up into that position to get McNair. The Oilers didn't fall for it. Jax picked Boselli and we got McNair.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
At least two teams, possibly more, have approached NY Jets about trading for Muhammad Wilkerson, per league source. Bares watching Thursday.

Bears watching, too.

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN

daniel kaplan @dkaplanSBJ

Breaking news, NFL will change its headquarters tax status to taxable from tax exempt. More soon

Looks like the feds are closing the NFL's evidently lucrative loop hole. The NFL per se has always been taxed through all the individual teams. The NFL LEAGUE OFFICE is the part which is tax-exempt. However, all monies travel through the NFL LEAGUE OFFICE to be later distributed to the teams...........you can only imagine what happens to the money BEFORE it's distributed.

11162071_10204409792025082_7085396056587839479_o.jpg

Jason Gregory said that the Cowboys are the right team for Gregory to go to as far as support. That could be said of an organization like the Pats......not the Girls. Pretty soon, Jerruh will have to contract with a full-time baby sitting agency to try to keep all of his collection of wayward players in line.

Jason Gregory said that the Cowboys are the right team for Gregory to go to as far as support. That could be said of an organization like the Pats......not the Girls. Pretty soon, Jerruh will have to contract with a full-time baby sitting agency to try to keep all of his collection of wayward players in line.

This just goes to show how cheap Bob McNair is. If he was willing to spend some money on "player nannies" we could draft some bad actors too
:kitten:

In addition to the other stuff, Randy Gregory has been dealing with some type of diagnosed psych disorder. Hope he gets good help for it.

[imgwidthsize=650]http://assets.amuniversal.com/fbd5d1d0cfe40132dda5005056a9545d[/IMG]
[imgwidthsize=650]http://assets.amuniversal.com/fd527bc0cfe40132dda5005056a9545d[/IMG]

Apparently the Broncos are practicing at NRG as well:

Broncos rookie tight end Jeff Heuerman will miss the entire season after tearing his ACL at practice today.

Heuerman, a third-round draft pick, was injured while running down the field on a special teams drill at rookie minicamp. He was carted off the field and diagnosed with a torn ACL.

Link

I sorta feel bad for the Niners new coach. Dude's lost players left and right this off-season. Who knows what will happen when the games are played, but they aren't looking too good on paper

Justin Smith: Upper body began to break down

JustinJohnCordesAP

SANTA CLARA -- During training camp in 2013, Justin Smith was going against guard Mike Iupati when something happened to his left shoulder. Smith wasn't sure what it was.

"I just knew it hurt like hell," the veteran defensive linemen said on Monday.

Seven months later, surgery revealed that a piece of bone had detached from the shoulder, and in Smith's words, became "lodged in the back of it."

The event showed both why Smith decided to step away from the game after 14 seasons and why the 49ers would have loved to have him back for one more. Despite playing in pain that season, Smith still was one of the better defensive linemen in the league, still made the Pro Bowl and started all 18 of the 49ers' games.

But he said Monday that wear and tear on his upper body -- especially the left side of his upper body -- had become too much and that it was time to walk away.

"Where I play on the right side, all my contact comes on my left shoulder and left side," he said. "And it doesn't respond like I want it to respond anymore. You know, if you don't have the tools, you can't do the job. So it's time to go."

Smith also tore his left triceps tendon -- it became partially detached at the elbow -- late in the 2012 season. He played in the postseason and Super Bowl that season but was not nearly the same player he was a year earlier in the playoffs.

"You've got to go in with the right mindset and this and that," Smith said. "It's a young man's game. And you've got to be full of p--- and vinegar when you step on the field. And as you get older, it's harder to get that same intensity going week in and week out."

Despite those injuries, however, Smith mainatined his intensity and remained perhaps the most respected player in the 49ers locker room. He also continued to lead offseason workouts among the defensive players.

For those reasons, a number of team officials -- from former coaches like Jim Harbaugh and Vic Fangio to current head coach Jim Tomsula -- wanted him to return.

"I wanted to keep playing as well," Smith said. "But when you get on the bald tires, you're on the bald tires."

Derrick Carr sitting out OTAs due to an "undisclosed" injury..................not expected to be problematic into the season..........you know, one of those "minor" thingies.

Derrick Carr sitting out OTAs due to an "undisclosed" injury..................not expected to be problematic into the season..........you know, one of those "minor" thingies.

He hurt his va-jay-jay??!??!

I guess he's more like his brother than we thought...

... JOKING...

Like Betty White said, vaginas can take a pounding.

David J. Chao, MD @ProFootballDoc
"@mortreport: Derek Carr experiencing numbness in right ring finger. Raiders hope rehab/rest avoid surgical option." > ulnar nerve subluxation?

Why is DEREK CARR finger injury potentially a big deal?
a)miss new scheme install
b)throwing hand
c)4th is longest digit & vital for grip

Per @mortreport, DEREK CARR may need R ring finger surgery, "optimistic" for training camp. May be bigger deal with new schemes/coaches.

AJ McCarron healthy, hoping to push Andy Dalton

Last we heard from A.J. McCarron, the former Alabama star was battling shoulder soreness that kept him sidelined through the majority of his rookie season.

Finally healthy again, McCarron is eyeing the Cincinnati Bengals' backup job, buoyed by a revamped throwing motion that has made his arm stronger than ever.

After underthrowing receivers last offseason, McCarron is now overthrowing vertical field-stretchers such as Denarius Moore.

"I feel great," McCarron recently said, per the Cincinnati Enquirer. "Body feels great and I feel like I'm slinging it better than I ever have, really."

TK will be so
happy.gif

Cam Newton,
"I say this with the most humility, but I don't think nobody has ever been who I'm trying to be. You see what I'm saying? Nobody's had the size, nobody's had the speed, nobody's had the arm strength, nobody's had the intangibles that I've had. I'm not saying I'm the one-on-one type of person that this league will never see again. No, I'm not saying that, hear me out. I'm just saying that so much of my talents have not been seen in one person."

Cam Newton,
"I say this with the most humility, but I don't think nobody has ever been who I'm trying to be. You see what I'm saying? Nobody's had the size, nobody's had the speed, nobody's had the arm strength, nobody's had the intangibles that I've had. I'm not saying I'm the one-on-one type of person that this league will never see again. No, I'm not saying that, hear me out. I'm just saying that so much of my talents have not been seen in one person."

Somewhere Michael Vick's sides are splitting.

Cam Newton,
"I say this with the most humility, but I don't think nobody..."

Cam is one of the guys I love to watch & it is mostly because of his unique combination of size, athleticism, and competitive nature that makes him so exciting.

However, objectively speaking he only had four games where he had a passer rating over 90, completed more than 60% of his passes & threw for more than 7 ypa.

He doesn't play above average consistently enough for the Panthers to win consistently.

Somewhere Michael Vick's sides are splitting.
Vick doesn't have the size.

I would have like to have seen Randall Cunningham develop under someone who could have taught him the finer points of QB play instead of being under Buddy Ryan's crazy ass.

Remind me of the last time size scored points. Across the board Vick is athletically superior to Cam. And he was a mediocre QB...just like Cam, except better.

Most of us laymen associate size with durability. Right or wrong (we've seen plenty "big" QBs struggle with injuries) Cam has been relatively healthier than Vick in his first four years.

I agree Vick was the superior athlete. If he had Cam's size (durability), the Falcons may have won a lot more... maybe even a Super Bowl.

Remind me of the last time size scored points. Across the board Vick is athletically superior to Cam. And he was a mediocre QB...just like Cam, except better.
Ben Roethlisberger comes to mind. Being harder to bring down allows him to extend plays where others just get sacked.
Like TK said, Vick was fragile relative to Cam. Vick was more elusive in the open field than Cam will ever be but Cam has the stronger arm.
They both have their strengths and weaknesses.
And back to what Newton said, every guy on the field should feel they're special or they shouldn't be out there.

Most of us laymen associate size with durability. Right or wrong (we've seen plenty "big" QBs struggle with injuries) Cam has been relatively healthier than Vick in his first four years.

I agree Vick was the superior athlete. If he had Cam's size (durability), the Falcons may have won a lot more... maybe even a Super Bowl.
Plus, I think most folks would tell that 6'5" is preferable to 6'0" when you're talking about QB's.

Vick had a wicked strong arm. They may be neck and neck, but I don't know that Cam's is definitively stronger.

Plus, I think most folks would tell that 6'5" is preferable to 6'0" when you're talking about QB's.

Vick's size had nothing to do with his success (or lack there of) in the NFL. He's dumb and lazy. Like Cam who thinks I can outrun JJ Watt in a 40 he's stupid. Learn the playbook, be the smartest player on the field...not in Vick or Cam's deck of cards. If anyone was going to overcome stupidity with athleticism it was Vick. Cam has no chance. He's Roger Staubach 40 years later and 100 IQ points shy.

If you're looking for a pocket passer, yes. Vick was a play maker. 6'5" guys, generally speaking, can't make the plays Vick did back in the day.

But he was fragile & his style of play left the team & their backup installing a brand new offense mid season.

But, Cam is still young, still developing. He may turn out to be a decent QB when it's all said & done.

Vick's size had nothing to do with his success (or lack there of) in the NFL. He's dumb and lazy. Like Cam who thinks I can outrun JJ Watt in a 40 he's stupid. Learn the playbook, be the smartest player on the field...not in Vick or Cam's deck of cards. If anyone was going to overcome stupidity with athleticism it was Vick. Cam has no chance. He's Roger Staubach 40 years later and 100 IQ points shy.

you're giving Vick too much credit or Staubach not near enough...

Back