Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

All encompassing Rick Smith thread

No, you're going to deal with Savage and Weeden and have no chance at all.

I truly believe if he could stay healthy (Which he cant) Savage is what we're looking for. If Cutler were to be let go, I would sign him to a reasonable contract. He is an avg starting QB. (Much better than Os) Until Cutler gets hurt.(He always does) Then start Savage and hopefully get 19 games of avg to above avg QB play. I would also draft a QB high and let him develop for a couple of yrs. Under no circumstances would Os ever play another down of football for the Houston Texans. Pay him and send him on his way.

Will this happen? Nope, the way the McNair's work is if you get paid you play. So expect another season of what we got this yr.

This back & forth between Savage & Osweiller by O'Brian establishes pattern going back to Fitzpatrick vs Keenan to Mallet over Hoyer, back to Hoyer & releasing Mallet, now Savage vs Brock trying to elevate QB position without success. No point arguing amongst ourselves when O'Brian can't figure things out either :truck:

Reactions: ROO
If next year is another debacle on the offensive side of the ball, both GM and HC need to be replaced. Now of course it will be likely that all of O'Brien's staff will go with him, including Romeo but you have to break some eggs if you're going to make an omelette.

This back & forth between Savage & Osweiller by O'Brian establishes pattern going back to Fitzpatrick vs Keenan to Mallet over Hoyer, back to Hoyer & releasing Mallet, now Savage vs Brock trying to elevate QB position without success. No point arguing amongst ourselves when O'Brian can't figure things out either :truck:

McNair/Smith told BOB to play OS. IMHO

Why else would BOB say Savage gives the Texans their best chance to win 3 weeks ago and then he doesn't even get a snap in the playoffs? What changed?

I truly believe if he could stay healthy (Which he cant) Savage is what we're looking for. If Cutler were to be let go, I would sign him to a reasonable contract. He is an avg starting QB. (Much better than Os) Until Cutler gets hurt.(He always does) Then start Savage and hopefully get 19 games of avg to above avg QB play. I would also draft a QB high and let him develop for a couple of yrs. Under no circumstances would Os ever play another down of football for the Houston Texans. Pay him and send him on his way.

Will this happen? Nope, the way the McNair's work is if you get paid you play. So expect another season of what we got this yr.

Steel, please don't go the homer route and join these clueless Houston fans lost all reality with the Oilers. You know those guys that think every garbage backup we have is the next savior? Don't do it to yourself. Root for another team on the side before doing that, but don't join that club. Savage is trash just like Keenum, Yates, and Mallet all were. But there is always some backwoods Texans hopefuls that swear he's our guy!!

Even if Savage was decent he has the body of an 80 year old car. He was injury prone in college and even without hardly any playing time in the NFL and he has been riddled with nothing but injuries. He is actually the worst plan anyone could make for the future of the Houston Texans. Hell, the Cowboys have a great QB in Romo and they don't even want him because he can't ever stay healthy.

Steel, please don't go the homer route and join these clueless Houston fans lost all reality with the Oilers. You know those guys that think every garbage backup we have is the next savior? Don't do it to yourself. Root for another team on the side before doing that, but don't join that club. Savage is trash just like Keenum, Yates, and Mallet all were. But there is always some backwoods Texans hopefuls that swear he's our guy!!

Even if Savage was decent he has the body of an 80 year old car. He was injury prone in college and even without hardly any playing time in the NFL and he has been riddled with nothing but injuries. He is actually the worst plan anyone could make for the future of the Houston Texans. Hell, the Cowboys have a great QB in Romo and they don't even want him because he can't ever stay healthy.

While I agree with you about Savage and his injury history, (Why I don't trust giving the keys to the car) The reason I want Cutler is because I want them to draft Mahomes and I don't want to ruin him by throwing him in the fire too early. The offense Mahomes is in doesn't even huddle up, I doubt Mahomes has ever even called a play. But make no mistake Mahomes is a special talent. It's going to take him a couple of yrs though.

Atleast Cutler would give you avg QB play.

While I agree with you about Savage and his injury history, (Why I don't trust giving the keys to the car) The reason I want Cutler is because I want them to draft Mahomes and I don't want to ruin him by throwing him in the fire too early. The offense Mahomes is in doesn't even huddle up, I doubt Mahomes has ever even called a play. But make no mistake Mahomes is a special talent. It's going to take him a couple of yrs though.

Atleast Cutler would give you avg QB play.

After all of this you want Cutler? Lol!

Stop Steel. Take a off season break man.

Cutler shouldn't get a job anywhere. His attitude is horrible. OB would assault him probably.

After all of this you want Cutler? Lol!

Stop Steel. Take a off season break man.

Cutler shouldn't get a job anywhere. His attitude is horrible. OB would assault him probably.

I want Jimmy G. (Not going to happen) Who do you want and what is your plan?

I would settle for Cutler, who's better than anybody else they can afford. My main thing is to get avg QB play for a couple of yrs while Mahomes learns.

I want Jimmy G. (Not going to happen) Who do you want and what is your plan?

I would settle for Cutler, who's better than anybody else they can afford. My main thing is to get avg QB play for a couple of yrs while Mahomes learns.

I don't even care honestly, because I don't think Rick will find that guy. I don't think that OB can make him find that guy. It can happen by luck, but the odds are always against that.

I'm at the point where I really feel like the Texans best bet is to build a dynamic defense and running game, and they can play musical chairs at QB and find a game manager type. AJ McCarron showed some promise to me last season actually. I'm perfectly fine watching a team full of rough riders on defense and hope they have a shot that way and not even thinking about the QB. Its a lot easier that way, but hoping and praying that Rick figures it out is where you end up stressed and unhinged. I see teams like the Dolphins and the Browns and the Texans who have been trying to find a long term QB for 20+ years. It can become that hard. I've seen 3 teams in the last 15 years win the SB with all defense and one team (Bears) who almost did. That is around a quarter of the time where teams won that way. I think our odds are much higher to win a SB that way with Smith as the GM, because he aint getting us a QB.

:spit: Remember that movie where Jack Black sees fat women as hot chicks? Shallow Hal.

That's you with QB's. Every year by week 12 you realize you had no clue and the misery kicks in.

The Miss Cleo of the Houston Texans.

Did you just make a shallow hal reference? Wow. I didn't see that crap shallow hal. I read your posts instead. Keep it coming though.

If the Texans weren't in the AFC South they wouldn't have made the playoffs the last couple of years, maybe since Rick has been here. We need to compare the Texans to the contenders not the pretenders.

In 2016 we played all the top 2015 teams in the AFC; Patriots, Bengals, Broncos. We won one, lost two (1-2)

We also played the Chiefs, Raiders who made the 2016 playoffs (1-1).

We did not play the Dolphins or Steelers who also made the playoffs.

We played the Lions & Packers who made the playoffs in the NFL (1-1)

So we were 3-4 against the "good teams" we played this year. 2-3 if you refuse to count the Bengals & Broncos.

McNair/Smith told BOB to play OS. IMHO

Why else would BOB say Savage gives the Texans their best chance to win 3 weeks ago and then he doesn't even get a snap in the playoffs? What changed?

Maybe O'b was upset about Savage getting I injured again. He's pissed at Osweiler for throwing interceptions & he's passed at Savage for getting hurt... again.

Maybe O'b was upset about Savage getting I injured again. He's pissed at Osweiler for throwing interceptions & he's passed at Savage for getting hurt... again.

That would suggest he is overly emotional & irrational with his decision making. Not a great recipe for developing a QB factory.

Reactions: Max

Or maybe he was told who to play and that's why reports of BOB wanting out surfaced.

Who knows? Do you? Everything on this matter is speculation. Was there ever a problem to begin with? Was there ever any chance of him being fired, quitting, or being traded? We're all mushrooms here.

I would agree and I am a Savage Fan, but he can't stay healthy and that is the problem. His time has come and gone.

I would agree and I am a Savage Fan, but he can't stay healthy and that is the problem. His time has come and gone.

Which is why I want Ricky to bring in Cutler (Who's injury prone) and between Cutler/Savage maybe we (Fans) will get to see avg QB play for a full season. Then draft your QB of the future. (Mahomes)

Which is why I want Ricky to bring in Cutler (Who's injury prone) and between Cutler/Savage maybe we (Fans) will get to see avg QB play for a full season. Then draft your QB of the future. (Mahomes)
I just lost a lot of respect for you. Cutler is a cancer.

Not bad for Performance, but will one of them always be available to play? That is a 50-50 shot. They could just as easy both be out for the year.

I just lost a lot of respect for you. Cutler is a cancer.

And yet he is still much better than Os and should be able to be gottn for something like 2 yrs 15 mil. BTW, I don't disagree that Cutler is a cancer. He would a placeholder for Mahomes.

BTW, He has played in a NFC championship game.

Not bad for Performance, but will one of them always be available to play? That is a 50-50 shot. They could just as easy both be out for the year.

The odds are much less than 50-50 that both of them would be lost for the yr. If they were then you have hope that Mahomes could become the next Prescott.

Soooo the guy who drafted the guys who ended up being one of the top defenses in the league - and made Brady throw as many INTs in one game as he had ALL YEAR - should be fired because the offense isn't coming along like we want?
I'm sorry but
RAC has done just fine (better than "fine" actually) with the tools he's been given.

Plain truth is that O'Brien has not.
We needed more speed. We got it. We needed a Foster replacement. We got it. O'Brien likes strong armed, stay-in-the-pocket QBs. He got it. Yet the offense (I'm going to be nice here) is sporatic.
Maybe I'm alone here but, to me, that says coaching fail, not GM fail.
The GM can't make O'Brien be a better offensive mind.

And, don't forget, every HC/OC we've ever had was a McNair hire. That's a fact.

I don't care who you have coaching, no coach was going to win big games with this QB/OL combination. That screams flawed team to me.

100% agree. 2 additional points, that #1 D that Crennel has done "just fine" with has numerous first round picks that have NFL experience JJ, Clowney, Wilfork, JJo, KJax, Cush, Kevin J, Merciless

Yes we added speed to the O, but 3 of the players are rookies, and one of those is basically just a returner, and the other is switching positions. Our RB has no discernible skills other than being fast, i.e. No vision, power, cutting ability ect... watching Miller made me appreciate how good AF really was

There's a reason most of the play by play guys talk negatively about Brock, he's just not good. Our offense this year isn't what the coaching staff intended, it's BO's bastardized version of it. He's an inaccurate, error prone, check down machine. The great Bill Walsh couldn't win with BO.

I don't care who you have coaching, no coach was going to win big games with this QB/OL combination. That screams flawed team to me.

Ifs &s and buts, if Fiedorowicz makes two routine catches we'd have been up 21-14 on the #1 scoring defense in the first half of the divisional playoff round.

Oh, yeah, and those 3 INTs against NE are completely redeemable by any competent coach, right?

Tom Brady threw two.

I honestly think Osweiler's issues are due to familiarity & comfortableness in this offense. I think he had a rough start, but has been the avg QB we wanted since the Detroit game. A couple of bad games in that time, I agree with that.

But next year I believe he'll pick up on the anticipation aspect needed to excel. & if he don't, we cut him.

But yeah, first half he had open receivers to throw to. Second half, not so much. A new, better OC would have helped.

Tom Brady threw two.

I honestly think Osweiler's issues are due to familiarity & comfortableness in this offense. I think he had a rough start, but has been the avg QB we wanted since the Detroit game. A couple of bad games in that time, I agree with that.

But next year I believe he'll pick up on the anticipation aspect needed to excel. & if he don't, we cut him.

But yeah, first half he had open receivers to throw to. Second half, not so much. A new, better OC would have helped.

Hm, I think I just realized that I can't remember a time that I've ever agreed with you on the Texans. But I also can't tell when you are taking a position to simply be contrarian and create discussion, because you do that more often than not.

Hm, I think I just realized that I can't remember a time that I've ever agreed with you on the Texans. But I also can't tell when you are taking a position to simply be contrarian and create discussion...

Me neither.

But I will say Brock has grown on me.

If he spends more time with a QBs coach this offseason than his leadership coach, we'll be better off.

I'm being a realist, I think. We're not getting Brees, Rivers, or Romo.

QBs in this draft are all projects.

Osweiler is paid through next season & has looked good when the throws have been defined, i.e. receivers are "schemed" open.

Me neither.

If he spends more time with a QBs coach this offseason than his leadership coach, we'll be better off.

Osweiler is paid through next season & has looked good when the throws have been defined, i.e. receivers are "schemed" open.
Osweiler is also a project, still
... With many flaws, I might add.

Me neither.

This right here is what I'm talking about. Is this an honest assessment by you or are you just being contrarian? It's difficult to have a discussion with somebody who so frequently finds the least popular opinion and takes it, just to be different and generate discussion.

Brock is growing on you? That's not even believable. There's been literally zero progress with Brock. He looks better when throws have been "defined?" Does that even mean anything? Every pass play is an attempt to "scheme" open receivers.

Tom Brady threw two.

Think about this, he threw 40 times for less than 200 yds. That has happened only 2 other times since the 1950's. With 3 ints.

That has also happened 3 other times this season, so I don't see any improvement. You're a stats guy, you show me the improvement, even BOB said Os needed to improve and failed to commit to him in his press conference.

You're a stats guy, you show me the improvement, even BOB said Os needed to improve and failed to commit to him in his press conference.

I am not a "stat" guy.

I did notice O'b did not commit to him in his press conference & I do believe that means something.

I'm watching the guy play & "He sucks." Doesn't explain the difference between first half & second half.

Issues with the offense, firing the OC supports the idea that something else is going on, while not absolving the QB of his own faults.

It's not like I'm saying Osweiler should play out the rest of his contract or that he should even be our starting QB next season.

Even the guy you want to target with our first round pick is not a day one starter.

Rick Smith has drafted 3 quarterbacks during his tenure with the Texans.

Alex Brink
TJ Yates
Tom Savage

Last edited:
Missing on those 2nd & 3rd round prospects are what hurts the team the most. That's where your team gets built and probably explains the Texans coverage woes on ST's.

Agreed. What I find interesting is that he actually has more Fire Hits and Hits than Misses in the 2nd/3rd rounds (11 v. 10). And that 1/3 of the league is at 9-10 Misses. 9 is the mean and median, while 10 is the mode. While we don't want to defend mediocrity, we can statistically say that his 2nd/3rd round Misses are right at the average of the league.

Colts firing their GM...really wish McNair would do the same thing here.
and hire Peyton as the GM before the Colts do. That would be par for the course here. Peyton made the Texans his ***** when he QBed there so he'll probably do the same thing if he becomes the Colt's GM.

and hire Peyton as the GM before the Colts do. That would be par for the course here. Peyton made the Texans his ***** when he QBed there so he'll probably do the same thing if he becomes the Colt's GM.

A fun idea, but Peyton as I understand has his eyes set more towards management than coaching. O'Brien, Rick and McNair ... Peyton isn't going to wedge into there.

Back