Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

All encompassing Rick Smith thread

Not nearly a one-to-one comparison. I'm thinking your talking Watt when you say "Our best player". RAC had a farily healthy, Clowney to step in to combine with an already pretty good Mercilus to use in our defense. Our offense was sad. We won with defense.

And I figure you're talking Luck when you say the Colts "best player". Who was his backup again? Oh yeah, the 40-year old journeyman, Matt Hasselbeck. Not a one-to-one comparison at all.

Good coaching? Maybe. If you're talking about RAC.

Our Defense won 9 games.
Our offense lost 7 games.

Problem is O'b didn't want Garoppolo. He most likely wanted to give Hoyer another year.
Give Hoyer another year?? He signed Hoyer the same off-season JG was drafted. I must of missed something upthread.

No. Braddock stated that BOB wanted Garrapollo at pick 2.1. Rick Smith convinced him he would be available at 3.1 which he wasnt.

Savage was BOB's back up plan

This is actually very believable as Rick has never ever seemed to have much of a grasp on the draft, or anything else for that matter. And as much as I think OB is part of the reason we're in the clusterfuck we're in at QB with his Fitz, Mallett, Hoyer, bench Hoyer for Mallett, cut Mallett, stick with Hoyer in the playoff game no matter what BS, the real reason is that Rick Smith has drafted just 3 QBs in 10 drafts (Alex Brink, TJ Yates and Tom Savage). That's it. And none higher than round 4. You want Garrapolo? I ain't drafting no stinking QB. Not unless you want one in rounds 4-7, I might, MIGHT give you one. So welcome to Houston Mr. Savage.

I'm going to apologize.

I shouldn't comment on this team directly after a game. I'm emotionally invested a lot more than I care to admit & I'm usually commenting on my perception, which usually proves out to be wrong.

After watching the first half again, Aboushi replaced Allen on the series Savage was injured. He finished the first qtr, Allen was put back in the 2nd qtr.

On the radio this morning they explained the player is evaluated on the sideline for a concussion. If that evaluation suggests a concussion the player is then taken to the locker room for a more thorough evaluation. If he is then cleared that player will remain under evaluation the remainder of the game, which includes a halftime evaluation.

Since Savage was I initially taken to the locker room I think he clearly suffered a concussion. I no longer believe McNair or Rick is forcing O'b to play Osweiler. They're allowing him to play who he decides to play.

Give Hoyer another year?? He signed Hoyer the same off-season JG was drafted. I must of missed something upthread.

Actually, Garoppolo was drafted the year before we signed Homer.

This is actually very believable as Rick has never ever seemed to have much of a grasp on the draft...

Garoppolo was drafted by New England with the 30th pick in the draft. 3 picks ahead of ours, Tom Brady had just inked a new 5 year deal in 2013, there was plenty of reason to believe Garoppolo would have been there, & I'm still not convinced O'b had the slightest interest in Garoppolo.

DOH! Brain fart on my part.

Garoppolo was drafted by New England with the 30th pick in the draft. 3 picks ahead of ours, Tom Brady had just inked a new 5 year deal in 2013, there was plenty of reason to believe Garoppolo would have been there, & I'm still not convinced O'b had the slightest interest in Garoppolo.

With OB's history, that is believable as well, but Smith drafting 3 QBs in 10 years, none higher than 4, for a franchise who has never had a "franchise" QB, can't be overlooked. Like I said, OB has his part in it for sure, but Smith was here long before OB got here and drafted just 2 QBs, none before the 5th round.

Many people projected Garoppolo going in the 2nd round. We can blame Rick Smith for taking Su'a-Filo over Garoppolo. But, if we are going down that route, I would wish for Derek Carr over Garoppolo with the first pick in the 2nd round. At least Carr was projected going in the first round.

If you look at that draft, the teams picking before the Texans' first pick in the 3rd round were the Jags (Bortles), Patriots (Brady), Dolphins (Tannenhill), Seahawks (Wilson). All teams with steady staring QBs and at the time, the Patriots had Mallet as their backup.

I think the Patriots drafting a QB really surprised the Texans. Looking at it now, maybe Belichick had already decided to move on from Mallet. Too bad, OB didn't have any insider information on how the Patriots felt about Mallet. Maybe, he could have shared that with Rick and they could have moved ahead of the Pats.

Many people projected Garoppolo going in the 2nd round. We can blame Rick Smith for taking Su'a-Filo over Garoppolo. But, if we are going down that route, I would wish for Derek Carr over Garoppolo with the first pick in the 2nd round. At least Carr was projected going in the first round.

If you look at that draft, the teams picking before the Texans' first pick in the 3rd round were the Jags (Bortles), Patriots (Brady), Dolphins (Tannenhill), Seahawks (Wilson). All teams with steady staring QBs and at the time, the Patriots had Mallet as their backup.

I think the Patriots drafting a QB really surprised the Texans. Looking at it now, maybe Belichick had already decided to move on from Mallet. Too bad, OB didn't have any insider information on how the Patriots felt about Mallet. Maybe, he could have shared that with Rick and they could have moved ahead of the Pats.

Have you noticed how if they really want a player they move up and get him now?

Examples: McKinney/Strong
This last draft: Fuller/Reader/ I'm missing another move.

Too bad, OB didn't have any insider information on how the Patriots felt about Mallet. Maybe, he could have shared that with Rick and they could have moved ahead of the Pats.

Maybe he did. we didn't give anything for him really. a conditional 7th two drafts removed.

& the rumors then was O'O'b didn't want him. Godsey & Rick did.

Rick's cap appears to be full of feathers until you watch Os miss wide open WR's by 3 yds. Or Allen/Clark consistently getting rag dolled. BTW, this has happened all season. It's the 2 constants on this offense. I don't expect these 2 things to change this yr. If they win it will be because of good coaching. Not because Rick has drafted ultra talented units on both sides of the ball.
BTW, the Texans made the playoffs without their best player almost all yr. This is a sign of good coaching. Tell me how did the Colts do last yr without their most talented player last yr?
Don't forget that Hasselbeck was playing hurt for several games, too.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nf...53a74&sr=amp?client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us

Have you noticed how if they really want a player they move up and get him now?

Examples: McKinney/Strong
This last draft: Fuller/Reader/ I'm missing another move.

This has me thinking, how many Rick Smith draft picks on offense have ever been essential difference-makers? I count one. Deandre. All the other homerun draft picks (like McKinney) have been on defense. It highlights how Romeo Crennel has been set up for success and Godsey/O'Brien have not. Yes, O'Brien has made bone-headed decisions, but he has also been dealt a weak hand.

This has me thinking, how many Rick Smith draft picks on offense have ever been essential difference-makers? I count one. Deandre. All the other homerun draft picks (like McKinney) have been on defense. It highlights how Romeo Crennel has been set up for success and Godsey/O'Brien have not. Yes, O'Brien has made bone-headed decisions, but he has also been dealt a weak hand.

How much of that hand was his own doings? His QB's, his OL and his wr's? Rb he inherited Foster and got Miller, TE's were all here except Anderson

How much of that hand was his own doings? His QB's, his OL and his wr's? Rb he inherited Foster and got Miller, TE's were all here except Anderson

O'b & Rick drafted Fiedorowicz as well.

2014 the duo drafted Su'a-filo, Fiedorowicz, Savage, Blue, & Prosch

2015 they drafted Jalen, Mumphrey, & Hilliard

2016 they got Fuller, Martin, Braxton, & Ervin

Eh..

I don't know if this is true but it adds to the speculation that OB and Rick really don't get along:

http://www.sbnation1560.com/sources-obrien-leave-houston-bad-relationship-rick-smith/

Short summary is OB wanted to roll with Savage this year but Rick forced Osweiller on him possibly because of Denver connections. The bad relationship goes back to before Hard Knocks. The crew made note if it back then. The only off season acquisition input OB had was on Lamar Miller.

This is better than a novella.

The Texans organization is essentially Scotty Smalls from the movie the Sandlot. New kid on the block that wants to fit in and can only do that by playing baseball. However he doesn't even know how to throw the ball and through trial and error he learns. He makes the mistake of playing baseball with his dads autographed Babe Ruth ball because he doesn't know anything.

The Houston Texans since 2002:

It's time for Rick "Godfather" Smith, to hit the bricks. :worldpeace:

5672.jpg

The guys 3rd round bust are just unbelievable fails.I'm not too happy with butt-chin, but It's time for a different approach completely, with the approach to building this team.

Its time for:

gQIoa5T.jpg

It's time for Rick "Godfather" Smith, to hit the bricks. :worldpeace:

5672.jpg

The guys 3rd round bust are just unbelievable fails.I'm not too happy with butt-chin, but It's time for a different approach completely, with the approach to building this team.

Its time for:

gQIoa5T.jpg
Th Texans should send smith a bogus email stating the NFL draft has been contracted from 7 rounds down to only 1. Get Rick Smith to turn in the card with the pick then boot him from the premises.

Th Texans should send smith a bogus email stating the NFL draft has been contracted from 7 rounds down to only 1. Get Rick Smith to turn in the card with the pick then boot him from the premises.

I've been saying lock him up in the bathroom.

I don't know if this is true but it adds to the speculation that OB and Rick really don't get along:

http://www.sbnation1560.com/sources-obrien-leave-houston-bad-relationship-rick-smith/

Short summary is OB wanted to roll with Savage this year but Rick forced Osweiller on him possibly because of Denver connections. The bad relationship goes back to before Hard Knocks. The crew made note if it back then. The only off season acquisition input OB had was on Lamar Miller.

This is better than a novella.
Good stuff. That helps me believe Jeff Allen is playing because O'b wishes to highlight Rick's mistake.

But let's be real here, who would have been happy starting the season with Savage, Weeden, & BJ McDaniels as our QBs. No Brock, no rookie?

O'b royally screwed up the QB position the past two years. He picked Fitzpatrick benched him. He picked Hoyer, benched him week 1, put him in the playoff game & did not pull him after four first half turn overs. I'm sorry if you don't agree, but he lost the right to weigh in on the QB selection just like Kubiak lost the right to pick a DC.

IMO, he needs to go if he can't or won't coach Osweiller to be the average QB he was last season. Their OL wasn't better than what we have now. Their running game was not better than the running game we have now. DT is not a better WR than Hopkins. Our TEs are at least as productive as their TEs were last season. Our defense is not as dominant & suffocating as Denvers was last year..

But if Kubiak can win the Super Bowl with that team & O'b can't win a home playoff game with a similar team, the man needs to go.

Last edited:
Good stuff. That helps me believe Jeff Allen is playing because O'b wishes to highlight Rick's mistake.

But let's be real here, who would have been happy starting the season with Savage, Weeden, & BJ McDaniels as our QBs. No Brock, no rookie?

O'b royally screwed up the QB position the past two years. He picked Fitzpatrick benched him. He picked Hoyer, benched him week 1, put him in the playoff game & did not pull him after four first half turn overs. I'm sorry if you don't agree, but he lost the right to weigh in on the QB selection just like Kubiak lost the right to pick a DC.

IMO, he needs to go if he can't or won't coach Osweiller to be the average QB he was last season. Their OL wasn't better than what we have now. Their running game was not better than the running game we have now. DT is not a better WR than Hopkins. Our TEs are at least as productive as their TEs were last season. Our defense is not as dominant & suffocating as Denvers was last year..

But if Kubiak can win the Super Bowl with that team & O'b can't win a home playoff game with a similar team, the man needs to go.

Then it should be perfectly fine for us to try to win by building an all time great defense? Are you saying that should be our plan now? Because that is how the Broncos won their SB. They had an all time great defense under Wade, and they dominated in the post season to take it. Our defense isn't anywhere near that good. It could get close if we went that route, but we'd have to go all out to build a D in one off season. Hey, teams have done it. :stirpot:

If that's really the game they're playing then they all need to go now. I ain't buying that OB is cutting his own throat just to show Rick up. There's no way in hell I'd want a coach who puts that ahead of what's best for the team.

If that's really the game they're playing then they all need to go now. I ain't buying that OB is cutting his own throat just to show Rick up. There's no way in hell I'd want a coach who puts that ahead of what's best for the team.

Unless he wanted out of here to pursue other opportunities and didn't want the stink of Texans failure to stick to him when he left.

Just a thought. Probably wrong but still.

I'd have wanted them to go out and draft a rookie but I was hoping we'd start the season with Savage as the starter and Weeden backing him up. The third QB could have been just about anybody. We could have hung on to Yates for instance. He was here and he's backing up in Miami right now. I really wanted to know if the glimpses we were getting of Savage were real but the train wreck that is our offensive line obscures everything.

You can't tell much by what you see other than getting a clue about how these QB's play under a lot of pressure.

Unless he wanted out of here to pursue other opportunities and didn't want the stink of Texans failure to stick to him when he left.

Just a thought. Probably wrong but still.
Even if that's the case I wouldn't hire a coach that played those games. I'm not getting my way so let me sabotage management. That just makes OB look bad.

Even if that's the case I wouldn't hire a coach that played those games. I'm not getting my way so let me sabotage management. That just makes OB look bad.

I understand. It's a risky thing to do. I mean, he can always go interview (if he can get his foot in the door) and say "They told me to play these guys because they were paying these guys" and see where that gets him. It's like the thing where people always think teams having terrible seasons are throwing the games so they can get the first pick but we all know that nobody wants to be the player putting bad film of himself out there. It's not realistic so maybe O'Brien is doing everything he can to win and if that's the case, well these first halves with no offense whatsoever aren't exactly making a lot of people believers.

If it's OB's people leaking this, assuming it's true, then it's to put teams on notice that he'll be available and to wait before making decisions on their next HC. If it's his people doing this, he's already decided to leave.

If it's OB's people leaking this, assuming it's true, then it's to put teams on notice that he'll be available and to wait before making decisions on their next HC. If it's his people doing this, he's already decided to leave.
I hope he does leave. I just can't back this guy. Just to many things going on that show he's not a good head coach. From play calling to play design to in game adjustments or lack of understanding of game situations.

Do any of us think that Rick Smith could be better with a different head coach? Or do we honestly believe this guy's ego gets in the way of getting the players a coach is asking for? I've come to the terrible truth that Rick has a specific kind of Head Coach in mind and he hasn't found it yet. Just like our Head Coaches can't seem to find their kind of Quarter Back.

Do any of us think that Rick Smith could be better with a different head coach? Or do we honestly believe this guy's ego gets in the way of getting the players a coach is asking for? I've come to the terrible truth that Rick has a specific kind of Head Coach in mind and he hasn't found it yet. Just like our Head Coaches can't seem to find their kind of Quarter Back.

Well, that may be the issue.

Rick Smith was not part of the HC search. McNair did that with an outside headhunter firm. McNair's goal was to find someone who could work with Rick Smith. McNair obviously got it wrong.

McNair likes what Rick Smith is doing & I don't have a problem with that. That doesn't mean what Rick says goes, or that Rick is the boss... & that really doesn't matter. Not to me.

Rick & the Coach should work together & find a QB. In our situation Rick got O'b Fitzpatrick, Mallett, Savage, Keenum, Yates, Weeden, Hoyer, & Osweiler. Maybe O'b said he also wanted to get Garoppolo & we missed. That's the way the draft goes. Maybe this time, O'b said he's fine with Osweiler, but he'd also like to get Cook. Maybe Rick missed again.

There should be guys on that list that O'b wanted & Rick didn't. There should be guys on that list that Rick wanted, that O'b didn't. But it's O'bs job to make it work on gameday. Every coach in the NFL has to deal with that with the exception of Belichick & Carroll.

Kubiak didn't draft Trevor Siemian. Adam Gase did not draft Ryan Tannehill. Mike McCoy did not draft Philip Rivers.

Bill O'Brien needs to grow up & stop acting like a petulant child.

I don't really have a gripe against Smith, he's nothing more than a 'yes man' from what I've gathered. The fault with Smith lies higher up, he does what McNair(s) tell him to. He's the 'face' that Jerry Jones doesn't bother to pretend to have. Rick Smith is nobody.

I agree Smith is a yes man just wanting to keep his job. That is the problem. You need a real GM with football knowledge and the personality/guts to tell McNair to step aside and let the GM do what he should do because what has been going on since the beginning is not working. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. We have had McNair/Smith combo and we get the same results. Try something different which is either McNair sell the team or get a new GM. Just my opinion.

I agree Smith is a yes man just wanting to keep his job. That is the problem. You need a real GM with football knowledge and the personality/guts to tell McNair to step aside and let the GM do what he should do because what has been going on since the beginning is not working. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. We have had McNair/Smith combo and we get the same results. Try something different which is either McNair sell the team or get a new GM. Just my opinion.

Except a real GM with real football knowledge wouldn't let O'b pick a QB either, "What? Fitzwho? Nah, I think Tj & Case can do just as well & they're a lot cheaper."

"Hoyer? Fool I will btch slap the taste out of your mouth if you tell me you're serious."

At least Rick gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Except a real GM with real football knowledge wouldn't let O'b pick a QB either, "What? Fitzwho? Nah, I think Tj & Case can do just as well & they're a lot cheaper."

"Hoyer? Fool I will btch slap the taste out of your mouth if you tell me you're serious."

At least Rick gave him the benefit of the doubt.
I agree we need a real GM. What is the problem with having a real GM with football knowledge. Somebody should have been slapped.

I don't really have a gripe against Smith, he's nothing more than a 'yes man' from what I've gathered. The fault with Smith lies higher up, he does what McNair(s) tell him to. He's the 'face' that Jerry Jones doesn't bother to pretend to have. Rick Smith is nobody.
Then why have him. The person that has McNair's ear needs to know what he is doing, not a yes man.

As for Rick Smith as a GM. Is he the greatest..? No. However......Rick Smith's weakness in the draft has really been the 3rd round of the draft. However, his first rounds are maybe the best in the league. Also, he has a knack for finding Undrafted FAs that contribute (Arian Foster, anyone?).

9 of the 10 first rounders drafted by Rick Smith.......ARE STILL ON THE TEXANS and are key players.

2013 is probably his worst draft. 2014 may turnout to be his Best.

Note: Head Coaches and D-Coordinators have big say in players picks (Wade Phillips lobbied for JJ Watt). Head Coaches probably have final say.....although this is unclear.

Texans' draft since Rick Smith has been GM:

First Rounders:

2007 10th overall (from Atlanta)Amobi Okoye DT Louisville 2008 26th overall (from Baltimore)Duane Brown OT Virginia Tech 200915th overall Brian Cushing LB Southern California 2010 20th overall Kareem Jackson CB Alabama 2011 11th overall J.J. WattDE Wisconsin 2012 26th overall Whitney Mercilus OLB Illinois 2013 27th overall DeAndre Hopkins WR Clemson 2014 1st overall Jadeveon Clowney DE South Carolina 2015 16th overall Kevin Johnson CB Wake Forest 2016 21st overall (from Washington)Will Fuller WR Notre Dame

Full Drafts:

Round/Pick Player Position College 1/10 (from Atlanta)Amobi Okoye DT Louisville 3/73 Jacoby Jones* WR Lane 4/123 (from New Orleans)Fred Bennett CB South Carolina 5/144 Brandon Harrison S Stanford 5/163 (from New Orleans)Brandon Frye OT Virginia Tech 6/183 Kasey Studdard OG Texas 7/218 Zac Diles LB Kansas State

2008[edit]

Further information: 2008 NFL Draft
Round/Pick Player Position College 1/26 (from Baltimore)Duane Brown OT Virginia Tech 3/79 Antwaun Molden CB Eastern Kentucky 3/89 (from Baltimore)Steve Slaton RB West Virginia 4/118 Xavier Adibi LB Virginia Tech 5/151 Frank Okam DT Texas6/173 (from Baltimore)Dominique Barber S Minnesota 7/223 Alex Brink QB Washington State

2009[edit]

Further information: 2009 NFL Draft
Round/Pick Player Position College 1/15 Brian Cushing LB Southern California 2/46 Connor Barwin* DE Cincinnati 3/77 Antoine Caldwell C Alabama 4/112 Glover Quin* CB New Mexico 4/122 (from Minnesota)Anthony Hill TE North Carolina State5/152 James Casey TE Rice 6/188 Brice McCain CB Utah 7/223 Troy Nolan S Arizona State

2010[edit]

Further information: 2010 NFL Draft

Round/Pick Player Position College 1/20 Kareem Jackson CB Alabama 2/58 (from New England)Ben Tate RB Auburn 3/81 Earl Mitchell DT Arizona 4/102 (from Kansas City)Darryl Sharpton LB Miami (FL) 4/118 Garrett Graham TE Wisconsin 5/144 (from Kansas City)Sherrick McManis CB Northwestern 6/187 Shelley Smith OG Colorado State 6/197 (from San Diego)Trindon HollidayWR LSU 7/227 Dorin Dickerson TE Pittsburgh

2011[edit]

Further information: 2011 NFL Draft
Round/Pick Player Position College 1/11 J. J. Watt DE Wisconsin 2/42 Brooks Reed LB Arizona 2/60 (from New England)Brandon Harris CB Miami (FL) 4/127 (from Washington)Rashad Carmichael CB Virginia Tech 5/144 (from Washington)Shiloh Keo S Idaho5/152 (from Washington)T. J. Yates QB North Carolina 7/214 Derek Newton OT Arkansas State 7/254 Cheta Ozougwu DE Rice

2012[edit]

Further information: 2012 NFL Draft
Round/Pick Player Position College 1/26 Whitney Mercilus LB Illinois 3/68 (from Tampa Bay)DeVier Posey WR Ohio State3/76 (from Philadelphia)Brandon Brooks OG Miami (OH) 4/99 (from Tampa Bay via Philadelphia)Ben Jones C Georgia 4/121 Keshawn Martin WR Michigan State 4/126 (from New England via Denver and Tampa Bay)Jared Crick DE Nebraska 5/161 Randy Bullock PKTexas A&M 6/195 Nick Mondek OT Purdue

2013[edit]

Further information: 2013 NFL Draft
Round/Pick Player Position College 1/27 DeAndre Hopkins WR Clemson 2/57 D.J. Swearinger S South Carolina 3/89 Brennan Williams OT North Carolina 3/95 Sam Montgomery DE LSU 4/124 Trevardo Williams DE Connecticut 6/176 (from Tennessee via Minnesota, Arizona, and Oakland)David Quessenberry OT San Jose State 6/195 Alan Bonner WR Jacksonville State 6/198 (from Atlanta via St. Louis)Chris Jones DT Bowling Green 6/201 Ryan Griffin TE Connecticut 2014[edit]

2014 NFL Draft

Round/Pick Player Position College 1/1 Jadeveon Clowney DE South Carolina 2/33 Xavier Su'a-Filo OG UCLA 3/65 C. J. Fiedorowicz TE Iowa 3/83 (from Pittsburgh via Cleveland and Philadelphia)Louis Nix III DT Notre Dame 4/135 Tom Savage QBPittsburgh 6/177 Jeoffrey Pagan DE Alabama 6/181 (from Oakland)Alfred Blue RB LSU 6/211 Jay Prosch FB Auburn 7/216 Andre Hal CB Vanderbilt 7/256 Lonnie Ballentine S Memphis

2015[edit]

Round/Pick Player Position College 1/16 Kevin Johnson CB Wake Forest 2/43 Benardrick McKinney ILB Mississippi State 3/70 Jaelen Strong WR Arizona State 5/175 (Compensatory Selection) Keith Mumphery WR Michigan State 6/211 (Compensatory Selection) Reshard Cliett OLB South Florida 6/216 (Compensatory Selection) Christian Covington NT Rice 7/235 Kenny Hilliard RB LSU

2016[edit] Round/Pick Player Position College 1/21 (From Washington) Will Fuller V WR Notre Dame 2/50 Nick Martin CNotre Dame 3/85 (From Atlanta) Braxton Miller WR Ohio State 4/119 Tyler Ervin RB San Jose State 5/159 K. J. Dillon SS West Virginia 5/166 (From New England) D. J. Reader DT Clemson

Look at the Last 3 drafts. Those are REALLY Good.

2011[edit]

Round/Pick Player Position College 1/11 J. J. Watt DE Wisconsin 2/42 Brooks Reed LB Arizona 2/60 (from New England)Brandon Harris CB Miami (FL) 4/127 (from Washington)Rashad Carmichael CB Virginia Tech 5/144 (from Washington)Shiloh Keo S Idaho5/152 (from Washington)T. J. Yates QB North Carolina 7/214 Derek Newton OT Arkansas State 7/254 Cheta Ozougwu DE Rice

2012[edit]

Round/Pick Player Position College 1/26 Whitney Mercilus LB Illinois 3/68 (from Tampa Bay)DeVier Posey WR Ohio State3/76 (from Philadelphia)Brandon Brooks OG Miami (OH) 4/99 (from Tampa Bay via Philadelphia)Ben Jones C Georgia 4/121 Keshawn Martin WR Michigan State 4/126 (from New England via Denver and Tampa Bay)Jared Crick DE Nebraska 5/161 Randy Bullock PKTexas A&M 6/195 Nick Mondek OT Purdue

2013[edit]

Round/Pick Player Position College 1/27 DeAndre Hopkins WR Clemson 2/57 D.J. Swearinger S South Carolina 3/89 Brennan Williams OT North Carolina 3/95 Sam Montgomery DE LSU 4/124 Trevardo Williams DE Connecticut 6/176 (from Tennessee via Minnesota, Arizona, and Oakland)David Quessenberry OT San Jose State 6/195 Alan Bonner WR Jacksonville State 6/198 (from Atlanta via St. Louis)Chris Jones DT Bowling Green 6/201 Ryan Griffin TE Connecticut 2014[edit]

2014 NFL Draft

Round/Pick Player Position College 1/1 Jadeveon Clowney DE South Carolina 2/33 Xavier Su'a-Filo OG UCLA 3/65 C. J. Fiedorowicz TE Iowa 3/83 (from Pittsburgh via Cleveland and Philadelphia)Louis Nix III DT Notre Dame 4/135 Tom Savage QBPittsburgh 6/177 Jeoffrey Pagan DE Alabama 6/181 (from Oakland)Alfred Blue RB LSU 6/211 Jay Prosch FB Auburn 7/216 Andre Hal CB Vanderbilt 7/256 Lonnie Ballentine S Memphis

2015[edit]

Round/Pick Player Position College 1/16 Kevin Johnson CB Wake Forest 2/43 Benardrick McKinney ILB Mississippi State 3/70 Jaelen Strong WR Arizona State 5/175 (Compensatory Selection) Keith Mumphery WR Michigan State 6/211 (Compensatory Selection) Reshard Cliett OLB South Florida 6/216 (Compensatory Selection) Christian Covington NT Rice 7/235 Kenny Hilliard RB LSU

2016[edit] Round/Pick Player Position College 1/21 (From Washington) Will Fuller V WR Notre Dame 2/50 Nick Martin CNotre Dame 3/85 (From Atlanta) Braxton Miller WR Ohio State 4/119 Tyler Ervin RB San Jose State 5/159 K. J. Dillon SS West Virginia 5/166 (From New England) D. J. Reader DT Clemson

The 2014 draft should've been better, they had the 1st pick in each rd and didn't get the QB BOB wanted. (Out smarted themselves.)

2015, picked a CB that's always injured, McKinney was a great pick. Other than that a bunch of backups. Where are the differencemakers?

2016- Loved this draft.

2011[edit]

2012[edit]

2013[edit]

2014 NFL Draft

2015[edit]

The 2014 draft should've been better, they had the 1st pick in each rd and didn't get the QB BOB wanted. (Out smarted themselves.)

2015, picked a CB that's always injured, McKinney was a great pick. Other than that a bunch of backups. Where are the differencemakers?

2016- Loved this draft.

they had the 1st pick in each rd and didn't get the QB BOB wanted. (Out smarted themselves.)

Would you mind helping me find the plethora of reports, tweets, or whatever to support this? I've been looking but Com I up with nothing.

You can throw all of Rick Smiths drafts at me to try and make a case for him being a "good" GM but yesterday what I saw was his first round WR drop a pass right through his hands. He knew that was his weakness but hey, speed makes you a first round WR so screw the hands. Then his TE drop a TD catch. All by his FA QB signing. So yeah, when it mattered the most, his work didn't come through.

If the Texans weren't in the AFC South they wouldn't have made the playoffs the last couple of years, maybe since Rick has been here. We need to compare the Texans to the contenders not the pretenders.

If the Texans weren't in the AFC South they wouldn't have made the playoffs the last couple of years, maybe since Rick has been here. We need to compare the Texans to the contenders not the pretenders.

Agree100%. There isn't a team in the divisional round the Texans would be perceived as being able to beat. Only reason we got as far as we did was because Carr was hurt. We made it to the playoffs because of a weak division. Fat Randy helped us, and Mariota getting hurt helped too.

Can we just get help at the QB position like stumbling into a 3rd round pick that ends up being a good starter?

Reactions: ROO
Agree100%. There isn't a team in the divisional round the Texans would be perceived as being able to beat. Only reason we got as far as we did was because Carr was hurt. We made it to the playoffs because of a weak division. Fat Randy helped us, and Mariota getting hurt helped too.

Can we just get help at the QB position like stumbling into a 3rd round pick that ends up being a good starter?

No, you're going to deal with Savage and Weeden and have no chance at all.

Reactions: ROO
Much better chance than Osweiller.

Savage proved that in the Jacksonville game where Bortles did his usual choke job.

:spit: Remember that movie where Jack Black sees fat women as hot chicks? Shallow Hal.

That's you with QB's. Every year by week 12 you realize you had no clue and the misery kicks in.

Back