Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All encompassing Rick Smith thread

Ben Jones $3.5M year, that's not serious cheese.

Chris Ivory, $6.5M/year... that's not serious cheese. It's what we've reportedly offered for Miller... but I hear he's talking to the Cowboys.

But yes... I need to relax. This freak'n eCig just ain't cutting it today.

Jones is getting $4.35M a year. It's not serious cheese but it is a pretty big overpay for a replacement level player.

Chris Ivory is getting $6.5M a year. That makes him the 6th highest paid RB in the league. That's serious cheese for a guy who will be 28 next year and has injury issues.

Jones is getting overpaid. It's a great draft for his position. I'd draft a Center and sign a vet to a one year deal. That's an upgrade to me. Maybe not game one of 2016 but moving forward it is. And cheaper too.

Ivory is getting paid. And I read this morning that the contract could be up to five years. That's insane for a back his age. I want no part of that.

Not only by filling the biggest holes on the roster, but signing Brock Osweiler, Lamar Miller, and Jeff Allen to contracts they're happy with, and still keeping the franchise in very good shape. (Cap wise) Wow!

Gotta hand it to the guy. He redeemed himself today! I'm truly excited for this season, and hope Brock lives up to expectations, not only so we can have another jersey besides #99 worth buying, but so we can finally be REAL contenders. Now, Brock Osweiler wasn't my first choice but if O'Brien can win with a bunch of proven losers, I'm confident he can work his magic with Osweiler. Plus, we now have a young/good/healthy running back to go with our new QB.

That's all I got, thanks for reading.

No offense, but couldn't this have been put in one of the numerous RS threads?

No offense, but couldn't this have been put in one of the numerous RS threads?
I don't really care, just had to throw this out there after all the time I spent bashing him every chance I could. No offense...

Last edited:
Congrats Rick

Now Lets bring Marty B. home

Signing Rod Streeter would also upgrade the WR speed on the cheap.

What does the salary cap look like now?

12791111_997375790356081_2430587974132287289_n.jpg

if this draft goes well we could be contenders for as long as JJ watt can stay dominant.
I'm not too worried about JJ. Watt, as we have the next best thing in Mercilus and perhaps even Clowney, should he have a breakout season like Mercilus after a few seasons. I'm excited that the from office is finally addressing our offense. The draft can't come soon enough!

He's made important decisive moves. This team was going nowhere, now it might... Or he may have wasted a ton of money. But at least he's made the moves and is trying to find that elusive franchise QB, which is all many of us have asked him to do. It will be exciting to see it play out.

I was really impressed that he had a plan B ready & in place. He then pulls the trigger within minutes of Brooks & Jones' signings.

Real gangsta move there. I'm talking triple OG kinda sht.

Funny... it was just 3 weeks ago that majority in here were praising Rick for "finally getting it", and that we have the most talented roster in team history. The TT vibe changes so quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny... it was just 3 weeks ago that majority in here were praising Rick for "finally getting it", and that we have the most talented roster in team history. The TT vibe changes so quickly.

Just like Houston weather.
LoL

He should be held responsible for this quarterback cluster ****. He obviously doesnt have a clue but talks a very good game.

Rick Smith has built such a terrible team. I can't believe how little talent we have everywhere on the field. He is only capable of making first round picks and after that he is completely incapable of finding anything approaching talent. Since this moron took over we haven't gotten anything from a second or third rounder outside of one season from Barwin.

The above was posted in DEC 2013. I question his choice of head coach and QB savior now.

I have no animosity toward Rick. He does what he's told to do. Does he need to go? Absolutely but I'm not going to rag on a flunky for being a flunky. I'm sure he and OB made up a list of QB upgrade options before the season was over after McNair told them he was done with this journeyman QB bullshit and they presented their cases for all of them to Bob and Cal. They all settled on Os and Bob told them to go get him.

Rick's a great flunky but the team needs an actual "football man" GM and not a yes-man for Bob McNair (as much fun as I'm sure that is).

The problem with Rick & Co isn't really that he can't find talent or scout individual players. I think he and the staff are about average at that. Rick's problem is that he can't build a team. Every year we have glaring weaknesses and we get buried by them. The OL needed work this offseason but we were unable to retain Brooks or Jones and didn't address the tackle spots. That mistake is large enough in itself to bury the team. We've needed better safeties and cover LBers for years, but it doesn't get addressed. He tried at QB, so I don't blame him for BO, but these other flaws persist year after year.

Sad part is that this might be the most talented roster we've had in team history, but it's still not well constructed.

Rick Smith's got it, you're right about that.

Got it in that he's figured out how to endear himself to the McNair's to the point that he's family. Meanwhile making millions in the process and leaving a wake of good men in his sewer to take the fall.

If that's what you mean by got it then you are SPOT ON. As far as having a clue as to how to build a contender not so much. BTW, BOB is starting to realize what the McNair's are all about, $$$$$ trumps talent and $$$$ plays. The McNair's made a mistake on Os and aren't willing to admit it. A bad thing for an org that claims to be all about championships. Nothing has really changed since 2010.

The McNair's/Tricky Ricky are forcing BOB to play Os. Hence BOB wanting to get out while the getting is good. BOB knows Os is a coach killer.

Last edited:
The McNair's/Tricky Ricky are forcing BOB to play Os. Hence BOB wanting to get out while the getting is good. BOB knows Os is a coach killer.

Problem is O'b didn't want Garoppolo. He most likely wanted to give Hoyer another year.

No. Braddock stated that BOB wanted Garrapollo at pick 2.1. Rick Smith convinced him he would be available at 3.1 which he wasnt.

Savage was BOB's back up plan

Both could be true. I remember he mocked Mettenberger to us in the third over Garoppolo. he probably agreed with Rick that Garoppolo would have been there in the third.

Then if O'b had Garoppolo, Bortles, & Savage graded as practically the same, he should have been fine getting Savage in the fourth.

If O'b had Garoppolo graded that much higher I don't see how the boardroom doesn't take him in the 2nd.

You're messing up his narrative

Not my narrative. O'b had seriously unhealthy man love for Hoyer. if you're saying O'b was still butt hurt over Garoppolo three years later, that's even more reason to not like O'b. Not even Newsome can change the past. What happened happened & they should be focused on moving forward.

Not my narrative. O'b had seriously unhealthy man love for Hoyer. if you're saying O'b was still butt hurt over Garoppolo three years later, that's even more reason to not like O'b. Not even Newsome can change the past. What happened happened & they should be focused on moving forward.

It would be much easier for him to move forward if McNair/Smith hadn't forced Os on him and continue to force Os on him. That's where the rift begins and it will probably end with BOB getting another HC job next yr.

Unless McNair/Smith relent and let him play the QB/players he wants to play. IMHO I don't see this happening. See: what happened Sunday, in all of my yrs I've never seen a QB be cleared to play, come back into the game, go into halftime then be ruled out for the 2nd half. That was nothing more than McNair telling Smith to go down and tell BOB to play Os in the 2nd half. It's also why Os will most likely be starting on Saturday. Unless BOB goes against McNair's orders and we've seen what happens with Kubiak when you don't start the QB McNair wants.

Since the Matt Schaub implosion we are no where closer today than we were then to find a replacement for the most important single position on the team. That was 3 years ago. Someone has to be accountable for that.

If indeed the rumors are true:
1. OB wanted Jimmy G in the 2nd but Rick talked him into Su Filo
2. Rick went out and got Osweiller on McNairs orders of just get me a QB while OB really didn't have any input

Then a majority of this QB carousel falls at the feet of Rick Smith.

Since the Matt Schaub implosion we are no where closer today than we were then to find a replacement for the most important single position on the team. That was 3 years ago. Someone has to be accountable for that.

If indeed the rumors are true:
1. OB wanted Jimmy G in the 2nd but Rick talked him into Su Filo
2. Rick went out and got Osweiller on McNairs orders of just get me a QB while OB really didn't have any input

Then a majority of this QB carousel falls at the feet of Rick Smith.

They are going to blame BOB

Saying that BOB failed to develop Os. The only people that could develop Os into an avg QB is Jesus and Gary Kubiak.

It would be much easier for him to move forward if McNair/Smith hadn't forced Os on him and continue to force Os on him. That's where the rift begins and it will probably end with BOB getting another HC job next yr.

Unless McNair/Smith relent and let him play the QB/players he wants to play. IMHO I don't see this happening. See: what happened Sunday, in all of my yrs I've never seen a QB be cleared to play, come back into the game, go into halftime then be ruled out for the 2nd half. That was nothing more than McNair telling Smith to go down and tell BOB to play Os in the 2nd half. It's also why Os will most likely be starting on Saturday. Unless BOB goes against McNair's orders and we've seen what happens with Kubiak when you don't start the QB McNair wants.

I can understand that if we believe the only way to hold a HC accountable is to fire him. However, I believe in holding him accountable throughout the year. If I see my HC is clearly not onboard with the company line, I'm going to correct him.

The offense didn't look any different with Savage. the only thing that seemed to work was a fast paced passing attack which O'b championed in 2014 & 2015. & Brock looked just as good, if not better in a fast paced passing attack. So why hasn't the fast paced offense been made a bigger part of the offense? 17 games in & the HC refuses to go with what works.

Again, I don't care who our starting QB is as long as we win. I don't care who our HC is as long as we win. I expect Hopkins to play his best regardless who the QB is. I expect Osweiler to play his best regardless who the play caller is. I expect O'b to coach his best regardless who his QB is & so far, O'b is the main one I see failing to do his best.

I think if he gets on board, do the best he possibly can, win some games we can get past the divisional round. Heck we can draft a QB next season if he says, "guys, as good as we did last season Osweiler is holding me back."

I don't see how he's going to get what he wants leading this dysfunctional offense. All he's doing is making a case for RAC as head coach. Clowney & Cushing were probably forced on him & he's given us the #1 defense in the league. He can probably get anything he wants in the future.

Every time Hunt or Grimes breaks off a 20 yard gain then promptly shown the bench, another feather goes into Rick Smith's cap. Every time Aboushi is graded highly by PFF, plays well in place of Allen, but is then a healthy scratch the next week, a feather goes into Rick Smith's cap.

I can understand that if we believe the only way to hold a HC accountable is to fire him. However, I believe in holding him accountable throughout the year. If I see my HC is clearly not onboard with the company line, I'm going to correct him.

The offense didn't look any different with Savage. the only thing that seemed to work was a fast paced passing attack which O'b championed in 2014 & 2015. & Brock looked just as good, if not better in a fast paced passing attack. So why hasn't the fast paced offense been made a bigger part of the offense? 17 games in & the HC refuses to go with what works.

Again, I don't care who our starting QB is as long as we win. I don't care who our HC is as long as we win. I expect Hopkins to play his best regardless who the QB is. I expect Osweiler to play his best regardless who the play caller is. I expect O'b to coach his best regardless who his QB is & so far, O'b is the main one I see failing to do his best.

I think if he gets on board, do the best he possibly can, win some games we can get past the divisional round. Heck we can draft a QB next season if he says, "guys, as good as we did last season Osweiler is holding me back."

I don't see how he's going to get what he wants leading this dysfunctional offense. All he's doing is making a case for RAC as head coach. Clowney & Cushing were probably forced on him & he's given us the #1 defense in the league. He can probably get anything he wants in the future.

Every time Hunt or Grimes breaks off a 20 yard gain then promptly shown the bench, another feather goes into Rick Smith's cap. Every time Aboushi is graded highly by PFF, plays well in place of Allen, but is then a healthy scratch the next week, a feather goes into Rick Smith's cap.

Rick's cap appears to be full of feathers until you watch Os miss wide open WR's by 3 yds. Or Allen/Clark consistently getting rag dolled. BTW, this has happened all season. It's the 2 constants on this offense. I don't expect these 2 things to change this yr. If they win it will be because of good coaching. Not because Rick has drafted ultra talented units on both sides of the ball.
BTW, the Texans made the playoffs without their best player almost all yr. This is a sign of good coaching. Tell me how did the Colts do last yr without their most talented player last yr?

Next year I am going to yell my self:

At least our ownership isn't like San Fran.
At least our GM isn't as bad as New Orleans.
At least our coach isn't Chuck Pagano.
At least our team isn't the Browns.

That should keep me in perspective.

BTW, the Texans made the playoffs without their best player almost all yr. This is a sign of good coaching. Tell me how did the Colts do last yr without their most talented player last yr?
Not nearly a one-to-one comparison. I'm thinking your talking Watt when you say "Our best player". RAC had a farily healthy, Clowney to step in to combine with an already pretty good Mercilus to use in our defense. Our offense was sad. We won with defense.

And I figure you're talking Luck when you say the Colts "best player". Who was his backup again? Oh yeah, the 40-year old journeyman, Matt Hasselbeck. Not a one-to-one comparison at all.

Good coaching? Maybe. If you're talking about RAC.

Next year I am going to yell my self:

At least our ownership isn't like San Fran.
At least our GM isn't as bad as New Orleans.
At least our coach isn't Chuck Pagano.
At least our team isn't the Browns.

That should keep me in perspective.

Atleast Rick Smith IS still GM/Head of personnel dept.

Back