All encompassing Rick Smith thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by djohn2oo8, Dec 15, 2013.

1. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 All Pro

Fire him. Now.

Surreal McCoy likes this.
  2. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

Rick Smith has built such a terrible team. I can't believe how little talent we have everywhere on the field. He is only capable of making first round picks and after that he is completely incapable of finding anything approaching talent. Since this moron took over we haven't gotten anything from a second or third rounder outside of one season from Barwin.

3. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

The starting talent on this team is fantastic but the depth management and construction is absolutely awful. If we're going to be dealt catastrophic injuries year after year after year, we need depth.

4. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

I hate these all encompassing threads. Why not start an all encompassing Texans thread so that there's only one thread we have to worry about?

Texanmike02 likes this.
  5. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

Please name the fantastic talent, especially the talent missing due to injury outside of Cushing or Foster who we will have to assume will not be able to put a full season together.

6. hradhak

hradhak Site Contributor

His problem has been that he HAD great starting talent and has replaced them with terrible players. I think this team needs an overhaul, get rid of the bad contracts and open up some room for the future.

7. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Even as an avid Risk Smith basher, he has done pretty well in the first round. Watt, Cushing, Hopkins, and Brown. That's one ROTY and one defensive player of the year in his 2nd season. However, I'm not sure at how much that had to do with Wade wanting those defensive players and Kubiak wanting Brown than it was Smith making these choices.

My biggest problems with Smith is how he handles the cap and how little he knows how to make deals happen in trades and free agency. I don't like his "build only through the draft" philosophy. I've always hated it. I don't think he'll be going anywhere though.

8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

I agree with him being good at drafting in the first round, please see my first post in this thread. However, he really sucks at drafting in every other round, which is where depth and/or surprising stars usually come from.

9. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

When Casserly was fired the main gripe everyone had is how he missed on so many 2nd and 3rd round picks. Its just crazy that we hired a GM that might be even worse. Its just crazy that 11yrs in we have had 2 GM's that might be the 2 worst drafting GM's in the league at their time of employment with the Texans.

Surreal McCoy likes this.
  10. houstonhurricane

houstonhurricane All Pro

They should fire him and clean house now. I hate to think of another awful season next year with a new coach and facing the possibility of GM turnover then...more dysfunction could await.

11. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

I agree because firing Rick Smith a year or 2 after hiring a new coach could lead to another coaching change if the GM and the coach aren't on the same page.

12. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

I long for the days of the 2006 draft.

1 1(1) Mario Williams DE NC State
    2 1(33) DeMeco Ryans OLB Alabama
    3 1(65) Charles Spencer OG Pittsburgh
    3 2(66) Eric Winston T Miami (FL)
    4 1(98) Owen Daniels TE Wisconsin
    6 1(170) Wali Lundy RB Virginia
    7 43(251) David Anderson WR Colorado State

Damn!

13. BigBull

BigBull Veteran

I had almost forgot how good that draft was. Without a doubt the Texans best draft ever.

Sent from the future...

14. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

In April of '09, rick smith acquired the following rookies from a much less favorable draft position:

Cushing
    Barwin
    Quin
    Casey
    McCain (ruined now but a good player at one point)
    AFoster
    TJamison

15. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Sorry, when was McCain not an utter disaster?

Good draft though.

I for one endorse Rick Smith as GM of the Texans.

16. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

rick smith helped build this crappy team he might has well go with this crappy Team

We need a clean Reset

get our cap in good status stockpile some picks and rebuild in 14 and get rdy to make a run in 2015 when the SB is in Houston that's what I would do

steelbtexan likes this.
  17. ajohnson80

ajohnson80 Veteran

I don't know much about Smith's direction ideas or general goals for the team. I never hear him comment on these sort of things and I have no idea if he just doesn't quite understand how the cap works or is just one of the lazier gms in the league. jjo is the last descent fa signing and he was only good for 1 season. It just seems like he picks whatever player seems best at whatever position of need. I can't give him full credit for any draft he was part of and good because we all know Kubiak and Wade would get their guy first. We need new blood with a clear direction and plan for the future. Morey is a great example of a transparent gm with a clear direction and goal that the fan base can appreciate and get behind.

This is the freaking Houston Texans. We sell out every game and there's a waiting list a mile long for season tickets. Bob needs to get some brilliant minds with innovative ideas and not recycle the same tired nfl names.

Smith needs to go...this is the most important offseason the Texans will have in the next 5 years and i really hope they have their **** together.

18. bhsman

bhsman All Pro

McCain was probably the best slot corner in 2011 and a good reason why the defense was so good. Then he broke his foot. :(

2010 was a really good draft, too; every person from that draft is either a starter in the NFL or a solid contributor. Between the consistent home runs on first round picks and his pick history, I also endorse Rick Smith.

19. LonerATO

LonerATO Hall of Fame

The thing that lows my ind is how Smith has had 8-years to build up depth and there is none on this roster, while Casserly just sucked at the draft outside of 2006.

20. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Someone has forgotten Harrington, Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Mike Williams, Ernie Sims and then JaMarcus Russell, McFadden, Heyward-Bey and Rolando McClain.