Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Your take on who should be our new OC

If BOB didn't like OS and Ricky did, what was BOB supposed to say.

Reputable reporters said Os was Ricky's pick. (RapSheet/Glazer/LaConfora)

Bottom line is this org is so dysfuntional that Ricky was willing to sit out FA to help get rid of BOB. IMHO

This had nothing to do with Romo.

I agree with the bold for sure. I think a clean sweep of the organization is needed to right this ship. Including the medical staff.

I know
OB has come out on numerous occasions and stated he was totally on board with OS. They watched film and liked what they saw. Their (meaning both) mistake was not bringing him in to check out his personality prior to signing him.
As far as Os and his personality, BO'b and RS and Bob McNair all did plenty of research on Os before they brought him to our Texans. Os came across as a consummate professional. I don't think he liked the way he ended up being used thus the dust up he and BO'b had been said to have had.

Os is not a top tier Qb but he is better than he is seen to be by most of the leagues coaches and fans. Yes he had some accuracy issues but he also threw some passes quite well. Adapt to what the weaknesses are, try to fix them and learn to execute the strengths is the key. Os showed enough to be brought to Houston but his time here was a mistake all the way around.

I will just say I like BO'b and I like Os. It was a match up however that did not fit. I don't know who would be a better OC for our team than BO'b but I do think we need to see more of him as OC using DW4 starting next season. Many fans say the success of DW4 and the offense was all on DW4 but I don't see it that way at all. BO'b opening up his playbook a bit more and purposely utilizing his athleticism and feel outside the pocket as well as having faith in DW4 was the reason imo why the offense worked so well.

I think BO'b deserves to retain his OC duties if he remains our HC. At least to see how the offense looks to start the first half dozen games.

Last edited:
He picked stop gaps, which was a mistake. He didn't pick Os though. He finally gets a qb, does well despise a suck ass ol and that's not good enough for you. If you want BOB gone because he followed Ricky's advice and didn't play Watson for the first half of the first game I can get on board with that.
Who cares who’s fault Os was? QB is the one position you need to be aggressive and take a chance on. We needed a QB and they took a chance on the top FA QB on the market. At least they corrected the situation immediately.

BTW, he may not have literally “picked” Os... but he was onboard with the decision, and it was his decision to keep starting him.

Who cares who’s fault Os was? QB is the one position you need to be aggressive and take a chance on. We needed a QB and they took a chance on the top FA QB on the market. At least they corrected the situation immediately.

BTW, he may not have literally “picked” Os... but he was onboard with the decision, and it was his decision to keep starting him.

I care because that boo-boo cost the Texans two 1sts to get Watson and a 2nd to get rid of Os.

If you really get down to it looking at the stands yesterday you're right not many fans care and they have no reason to care until Ricky's gone.

Reactions: JB
If BOB didn't like OS and Ricky did, what was BOB supposed to say.

Reputable reporters said Os was Ricky's pick. (RapSheet/Glazer/LaConfora)

Bottom line is this org is so dysfuntional that Ricky was willing to sit out FA to help get rid of BOB. IMHO

This had nothing to do with Romo.

Those reporters were the same ones reporting that Ricky convinced OBrien to start Savage over Watson? And that there was a showdown coming?

Just sounds like they report what OBrien's camp leaks.

Those reporters were the same ones reporting that Ricky convinced OBrien to start Savage over Watson? And that there was a showdown coming?

Just sounds like they report what OBrien's camp leaks.

If Ricky is doing dumb stuff then Bill is washing his hands of this mess . I'm sure the NFL has really thin walls and everyone knows everything . If Bob kept Ricky and fired Bill he could never get a good coach here .

If Ricky is doing dumb stuff then Bill is washing his hands of this mess . I'm sure the NFL has really thin walls and everyone knows everything . If Bob kept Ricky and fired Bill he could never get a good coach here .

Posters just don't want to hear the truth.

Whoever it is hopefully they know how to properly call plays during stressful periods of the game ie... 4th down blunders and goaline ineptitude. Cleveland was gifted the 3rd pick because of 2 stupid ass losses placed neatly at the feet of coaching. It would have been much easier to swallow giving away pick 15 vs pick 3.

The quarterback that Bill had been grooming for years behind the line he had been coaching and scheming? I remember.

Being that Savage has been on the IR most of his career , I don't think of that as grooming . I also think it was Rick who IR'd Savage when he could have played after every QB they had got hurt and then you would have known Savage wasn't the real deal . It wouldn't have taken two more years .

I'm not saying Bill is the coach of the future , I'm saying if Bill is what it takes to break up the pajama party at the McNair's , then so be it .

Last edited:
Whoever it is hopefully they know how to properly call plays during stressful periods of the game ie... 4th down blunders and goaline ineptitude. Cleveland was gifted the 3rd pick because of 2 stupid ass losses placed neatly at the feet of coaching. It would have been much easier to swallow giving away pick 15 vs pick 3.

It wouldn't have been much easier to swallow because they would be picking later in the 3rd rd. The problem is the Browns of all teams played Ricky.

I wonder if Ricky will be bragging about how smart he was in getting rid of Os and creating cap room, anytime soon?

I'm not saying Bill is the coach of the future , I'm saying if Bill is what it takes to break the pajama party at the McNair's then so be it .[/QUOTE]

Great line

And a very fitting description.

I need a link from Devlin please.

Here is an article from July 2017, and he was tweeting similar sentiments, condescending to fans who dared say the ol sucked:

"The proof is in the numbers, especially against the league average. that the offensive line's performance might not be as bad as some feel this unit is outside of Houston.

There is improvement needed still, but the offensive line might not be too far from being a top five or top ten unit in the NFL if they can improve on their numbers from 2016."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...qMAE&usg=AOvVaw1H-bV-1VapL8DZjCK3fBnA&ampcf=1

Patdstat reported the coaches were happy with the ol going into the season.

Who cares ?

Do you have to watch a game with the volume up to know what's going on ?

The Texans special teams have stunk forever and there's a reason for that , shallow roster . The 49ers had the best roster in the league when they went to the SB a couple of years ago . They had 33 players making one million dollars or more while the Texans had 16 . What's that tell you about roster building ?

Who cares ?

Do you have to watch a game with the volume up to know what's going on ?

The Texans special teams have stunk forever and there's a reason for that , shallow roster . The 49ers had the best roster in the league when they went to the SB a couple of years ago . They had 33 players making one million dollars or more while the Texans had 16 . What's that tell you about roster building ?

My point is the current regime doesn't understand.

O'Brien's personal reporter says the problem is coaching, not personnel:

@PatDStat
patrick Retweeted Ishmael Johnson

I mean we do realize OB is in charge of his staff and he is not using that as an excuse? The secondary had multiple busts and that does not come down to talent but preparation.

My point is the current regime doesn't understand.

O'Brien's personal reporter says the problem is coaching, not personnel:

@PatDStat
patrick Retweeted Ishmael Johnson

I mean we do realize OB is in charge of his staff and he is not using that as an excuse? The secondary had multiple busts and that does not come down to talent but preparation.

It comes down to letting your best player walk , a 1st round pick that is brittle , and FA safeties . One if he held onto the ball would have beat the Patriots . Once again I don't have to read opinions to form mine .

It comes down to letting your best player walk , a 1st round pick that is brittle , and FA safeties . One if he held onto the ball would have beat the Patriots . Once again I don't have to read opinions to form mine .

I'm agreeing with you. Yet OBrien is not.

Here is an article from July 2017, and he was tweeting similar sentiments, condescending to fans who dared say the ol sucked:

"The proof is in the numbers, especially against the league average. that the offensive line's performance might not be as bad as some feel this unit is outside of Houston.

There is improvement needed still, but the offensive line might not be too far from being a top five or top ten unit in the NFL if they can improve on their numbers from 2016."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...qMAE&usg=AOvVaw1H-bV-1VapL8DZjCK3fBnA&ampcf=1

The pre-season game against the Saints put the 'lie' to that

All the speculation in regards to the relationship or lack thereof between BO'b and RS and who was the winner in a power struggle between the two men is pointless.

All anyone in the so called press have brought forth is speculation. The fact remains that until there is a known interview between either one or both of these men discussing their side of the story, nothing being said on the topic is valid.

I am guessing BO'b gets his contract renewed and by the season after next," barring injuries," it will be much harder for him to use RS as a reason for any shortcomings the team may suffer.

My guess is that there is some truth to the speculations but it falls more closer to the middle than at the feet of either BO'b or Ricky.

Last edited:

Who initiated the "bong pass" when this statement was made?

Darryl Bevell was let go by Seattle. I know this is Obriens offense come hell or high water, but adding another sound offensive mind couldn't hurt.
Hiring coordinators and assistants are totally the job of the HC. You think O'Brien is going to hire him or anyone else to be OC when he wouldn't this past season?

I have my doubts.

And I still think Charlie Weis would be the better fit as OC if O'Brien hires anybody.

Weis hasn't coached for 4 years and only has 1 season (2010) in the NFL since 2004.
So you think Weis forgot all the stuff he installed in N.E. because he hasn't been on the sidelines in four years?

Don't tell Jon Gruden, he's been off the sidelines for ten years.

And during that one year, 2010 as Chief's OC, the Chiefs improved from 4-12 the year before to 10-6 and made the playoffs. Made Matt Cassel into a pro bowl QB. And he hadn't been on an NFL sideline in six years when he went back from Notre Dame to KC. You want "alignment" with the HC on what the offense should look like? I'm having a hard time coming up with someone better.

But I'm open to names that would be a better fit with O'Brien (and that's not sarcasm either)

Last edited:
So you think Weis forgot all the stuff he installed in N.E. because he hasn't been on the sidelines in four years?

Don't tell Jon Gruden, he's been off the sidelines for ten years.

Forgotten? No. More like failed to progress from. His offenses weren't tearing things up before he got fired and retired. And don't forget, those Weiss Pat's offenses aren't what you have seen for the last decade. They were take the pressure off Brady, run heavy offenses.

I'm not inclined toward any long gone coaches. The Cowher talk each year annoys me. Gruden has at least stayed current in the film room and analyzing. Much more than Cowher it appears to me.

Bevell might have been a consideration for HC but he's a non-starter for OC as a WCO & ZBS guy.

I really don't know any available E-P guys, especially for a lateral move.

And he has experience with a similar QB in Wilson. This would be a good hire for the team imo.

The offensive scheme and philosophy is pretty much the same. Bevell likes to pound the run and go for the big pass play. Imagine a hybrid being run by Deshaun it would be nasty!

Hiring coordinators and assistants are totally the job of the HC. You think O'Brien is going to hire him or anyone else to be OC when he wouldn't this past season?

I have my doubts.

And I still think Charlie Weis would be the better fit as OC if O'Brien hires anybody.

OB has to swallow his pride. Would he? Probably not. I fully expect another yes man myself.

Weiss has medical issues that prevent him from coaching no?

The offensive scheme and philosophy is pretty much the same. Bevell likes to pound the run and go for the big pass play. Imagine a hybrid being run by Deshaun it would be nasty!
Imagine _____ being run by Watson.

You could put you could put literally anything there and it would work so we can stop saying it lol

Imagine _____ being run by Watson.

You could put you could put literally anything there and it would work so we can stop saying it lol

I wanted to offer debate, but no you're probably right Deshaun Watson would excel in any system.

Bevell is a WCO & ZBS guy. When Carroll got to Seattle in 2010 he hired Gibbs from the Texans to improve their ZBS like he did for us. 2011 they hired Gibbs protege Tom Cable to continue.

OB has to swallow his pride. Would he? Probably not. I fully expect another yes man myself.

Weiss has medical issues that prevent him from coaching no?
Back when he was with the Pats, he underwent a gastric bypass procedure which he refused to go through the "smart" long-term preoperative evaluation and preparation regimens. He almost died when postoperatively they could not stop the internal bleeding and he had to be taken back to surgery. He had already been given last rites. He was already dealing with cardiac problems which had been rampant in his family. Since then, he has regained ~1/2 of his originally lost weight. Today, he is far from a picture of health having developed progressive cardiovascular and gastrointestinal issues

As it turns out the major parts of the offensive staff are available. Cable was cut loose and the QB coach Carl Davis is about to be. Love to bring them all in to work with Watson.
Tom Cable and OB working together? That would end up going all MMA or WWE. 2 tea pots.

Back