Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Your take on who should be our new OC

2009 ACL - surgery
2013 grade 1 LCL, not cleared to play, returned and ended up torn LCL & ACL - surgery described as "complete knee reconstruction."

Yep,

Just pointing out the fate of guys that have had 2 ACL's, like Bradford/Griffin etc...

Except it's not 2 simple ACLs. You're implied analogy to Watson is a fail.

He did have 2 ACL's.

I'm just pointing out that the odds of DW4 coming back and people expecting him to play at the same level and if he does staying healthy might be a little unrealistic.

Am I rooting for him to comeback healthy and staying healthy all yr? Of course.

Am I expecting it, not really. Not with the build of his legs, more like Bridgewater's build not Wilson's.

He did have 2 ACL's.

I'm just pointing out that the odds of DW4 coming back and people expecting him to play at the same level and if he does staying healthy might be a little unrealistic.

If you were really trying to do that you wouldn't act like the injuries are at all the same. They aren't. Also both of RGIII's injuries were to his right knee. Watson has one on each side. Their situations are not at all the same.

If you were really trying to do that you wouldn't act like the injuries are at all the same. They aren't. Also both of RGIII's injuries were to his right knee. Watson has one on each side. Their situations are not at all the same.

But Bradford's situation is the same.

I'm just trying to prepare Texans fans for the worst and if Watson can stay healthy then that's a pleasant surprise. This doesn't mean I'm not rooting for Watson to stay healthy.

But Bradford's situation is the same.

No it is not. Again, same knee and he also had meniscus tears, floating particles and bone spurs. He also suffered a bone bruise injury to the same knee.

These injuries came after 3+ ankle injuries to the same leg. I know you've heard about compensation injuries from CnD.

Speaking about Offensive co-ordinators......

If Romo gets tired of broadcasting I think he would make a good co-ordinator and QB coach also.

He gives more insights on what is going on during games than any commentator I've ever listened to.

Doubt the pay cut would lead him in that direction though.

HELL NO!!!!

6 winning seasons out of 22.

That 27% winning percentage is worse than Rick Smith's record as a GM!! Of course, with 4 of the 6 winning seasons for Rick Smith being 9-7, one has to wonder exactly how much better.

(rhetorical - he has a better career winning percentage than Rick Smith)

Just as a OC.

Literally, Fisher is consider an offensive detriment.

The real question is whether the Browns, Bears, Colts, or any other team could be eyeing Fisher. The success of the Rams in his absence — and the thriving of three former Fisher quarterbacks (Jared Goff, Case Keenum, and at least for one week Nick Foles) — will make it a much harder sell. Balancing that out is the experience factor, along with a relationship with the league office that could put his team in position to win a few of the “jump balls” that the franchise currently can’t quite reach.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-is-eyeing-several-teams-are-they-eyeing-him/

and at least from that article, the Texans are not a team he is being rumored to.

2009 ACL - surgery
2013 grade 1 LCL, not cleared to play, returned and ended up torn LCL & ACL - surgery described as "complete knee reconstruction."

He then suffered a high ankle tear and then concussion (not the 1st) to open the door for Cousins.

Snyder put him on a high pedestal that created locker room problems.

Physically and mentally different than DW.

Jeff fisher could take a shitt team and get them to 7-9.

On the flip side, he can take a playoff caliber team and get them to only 7-9

At least he's consistent lol

So pairing him with Rick Smith would make for an endless purgatory of mindless boring mediocre football. :hankpalm::bag::hairpull:

Charlie Weis.

Weis installed the E-P offense in NE and won three SBs doing it

He won his first SB ring under Parcells but I give Parcells credit for that one since Weis had basically just got there.

before y'all start yelling, I don't want him as HC, just to run the offense.

Charlie Weis.

Weis installed the E-P offense in NE and won three SBs doing it

He won his first SB ring under Parcells but I give Parcells credit for that one since Weis had basically just got there.

before y'all start yelling, I don't want him as HC, just to run the offense.
I was just about to post this. You beat me to it. I think he would be a great hire to run the "system" OB wants ran and is a proven OC and teacher.

Charlie Weis checks all the boxes.
Continuity, knows the verbiage, experience and at this stage of his career probably wouldn't buck at being OC but maybe not playcaller

And hypothetically OB should call plays over Weis why?

Weis' stage is might accept hands off, total control OC not no play calling flunky.

We're sitting up here talking about finding a coach to call the plays when we have 1 of the worst o-lines in the league. How about we talk about who our o-line coach should be b/c it doesn't matter what or who call the plays if the o-line is a dumpster fire.

The reality of this situation screams that Watson would've made Godfrey look competent.
I think BO'b did some good in regards to the use of DW4 but not a lot. Each week that Case Keenum and Jared Goff play well under new coaches I have to feel that their struggles were in regards to their head coaches. To me it could easily be said that Coach BO'b and Jeff Fisher are kindred spirits in regards to wasting away Qb talent.

This is all cockimamy. You didn't know anything...this is what you assume b/c Savage got the starting nod & b/c he kept Savage around....but when you sit back and objectively look at it, you see why he kept him around and why he got the nod over Watson initially. Furthermore For BoB..or any offense to work really, it needs a stud at the helm. That has been borne out over decades of football with all different kinds of HC's and schemes. I doubt there was any "reinventing" as you say and i'm willing to bet that alot of the plays BoB ran with Watson have always been there, he just didn't have the guy at the helm with the right mindset and degree of fortitude to execute.
I give BO'b credit for going ahead and making adjustments with DW4 however I think BO'b had a more pure pocket passer in mind as a preference. There is no way in a fair battle for the starting job that Savage beats out DW4. DW4 was a rookie and it seems that that played a role in him not getting a fair shot at starting the season.

I give BO'b credit for going ahead and making adjustments with DW4 however I think BO'b had a more pure pocket passer in mind as a preference. There is no way in a fair battle for the starting job that Savage beats out DW4. DW4 was a rookie and it seems that that played a role in him not getting a fair shot at starting the season.

Well of course it did. But all HC's prefer pure pocket passers to guys who run around inviting defenders to hit them even more. 32 out of 32 HC's don't even allow their qb's to be hit in practice for god sakes. OB is no different in that regard.

Reactions: JB
Well of course it did. But all HC's prefer pure pocket passers to guys who run around inviting defenders to hit them even more. 32 out of 32 HC's don't even allow their qb's to be hit in practice for god sakes. OB is no different in that regard.
Savage was clearly the better QB in preseason. DW4 looked bad. IMO, DW4 is at his best when the games are real and he can let his raw athleticism take over in an uncontrolled environment, with no red jerseys to protect him. Savage is the complete opposite. He apparrantly thrives with red jerseys and limited exposure in preseason games, where 1st team players are just going through the motions.

Savage was clearly the better QB in preseason. DW4 looked bad. IMO, DW4 is at his best when the games are real and he can let his raw athleticism take over in an uncontrolled environment, with no red jerseys to protect him. Savage is the complete opposite. He apparrantly thrives with red jerseys and limited exposure in preseason games, where 1st team players are just going through the motions.

Watson looked comparable while trying to be the good little stay in the pocket and run "the system" without having 1st team attention QB in preseason.

I don't agree. Plenty of pure pocket passers suffer major injuries. The fact is that there have not been many guys in NFL history who were known for their escape abilities and for making things happen outside the pocket, but there have been some notable ones. There is precedent for those type Qb's making their teams better. Especially teams with weak O-lines. .

In the old days there were not many Qb's with escape skills who could also throw accurately. However there were quarterbacks like John Elway, Steve McNair, Steve Young, Randal Cunningham as well as a few others. There have been and still are plenty of pure pocket passer quarterbacks who were injured a lot because they could not feel pressure or elude it well.

Joe Theismann's career ended in the pocket by a bind side hit in the pocket. In the instance of Steve Young he did retire due to too many concussions but he took plenty of hits inside the pocket being that he also threw well from there. I don't think that you can coach the elusiveness out of quarterbacks and I don't think you would want to. You do hope you can minimize the risk with the right coaching.

I think there is too much value in the elusive type quarterbacks to sit them on the bench due to fears of them getting hurt. Build up a good to great O-line and that fixes most of the problem no matter what type of quarterback you choose to start.

A bad offensive line screams for a mobile quarterback. Injury risk be darned.

Last edited:
Watson looked comparable while trying to be the good little stay in the pocket and run "the system" without having 1st team attention QB in preseason.

Comparable to rookie Warren Moon right?

Watson was still playing catch-up in the beginning to mid preseason but when it got to closer to and at the time of preseason games that is when it is fair to say he was close or at Savages level of understanding the playbook and execution.

Of course when they threw out OBs playbook and started calling plays to compliment the strength of Watson it was no comparison. Savage shouldn’t even be in the same sentence as Watson.

Of course when they threw out OBs playbook and started calling plays to compliment the strength of Watson it was no comparison. Savage shouldn’t even be in the same sentence as Watson.

And this couldn't be seen from day one?

OB epic whiffed. Under one of the stairwells build a little shrine to "the system" and let's move on to someone who appreciates the player.

I didn’t see anything that we are allowed to witness that suggested Savage was better than Watson.

Once the pre season games started I thought it was clear Watson was a few levels above Savage

I understand Savage didn’t look like a wreck at that point, but there were small things that he was doing that were troubling.

I think if OB had put Watson with the 1s and Savage with the 2s for a game it’d have been easier to see.

If they would’ve properly assessed Savage in the years he was here and named Watson starter from the get go I think the it would’ve looked even better.

I would agree with this and I even bought hook, line, and sinker that "Knows the playbook, can be our starter until Watson is ready" crap OB was selling. In the preseason you don't expect your rookie to QB the same way your 4th-year-in-the-system so-called veteran QB does but if you see a guy coming in doing all the kinds of things that Watson was doing and he's giving that more knowledgeable guy a run for his money (either in practice or preseason game situations) you gotta go with the upside and hope that just keeps on rising. If it's that close and they're comparable you go with the upside.

Watson got reps in TC with 1st team. I just googled it but I'm not able to copy the link on my iPad. ESPN Texans blog Aug. 14, 2017.

And this couldn't be seen from day one?

OB epic whiffed. Under one of the stairwells build a little shrine to "the system" and let's move on to someone who appreciates the player.

No. Not on day one. You are being dramatic.

Similar thing happened for Wilson in Seattle. Even he had to play preseason games to get the starting nod.

Had Watson played better in New Orleans he might have gotten the starting nod. Had OB been a HC that trusted his gut instead of talking to Rick Smith starting Watson then he might have gotten the start.

I think BO'b did some good in regards to the use of DW4 but not a lot. Each week that Case Keenum and Jared Goff play well under new coaches I have to feel that their struggles were in regards to their head coaches. To me it could easily be said that Coach BO'b and Jeff Fisher are kindred spirits in regards to wasting away Qb talent.

What QB talent has BOB wasted away.

There are reasons BOB should be let go. IMHO, but your reaching on this one and your dislike of BOB is clouding your reasoning for letting him go.

The reasons he should be let go is not showing balls in the Seahawks, Pats games.

All of them. Which by the way he picked. But you don't like that.

He picked stop gaps, which was a mistake. He didn't pick Os though. He finally gets a qb, does well despise a suck ass ol and that's not good enough for you. If you want BOB gone because he followed Ricky's advice and didn't play Watson for the first half of the first game I can get on board with that.

He picked stop gaps, which was a mistake. He didn't pick Os though. He finally gets a qb, does well despise a suck ass ol and that's not good enough for you. If you want BOB gone because he followed Ricky's advice and didn't play Watson for the first half of the first game I can get on board with that.

You have nothing to say OB wasn't full in for Oz.

You also have nothing to show OB didn't want the OL as it is.

What QB talent has BOB wasted away.

There are reasons BOB should be let go. IMHO, but your reaching on this one and your dislike of BOB is clouding your reasoning for letting him go.

The reasons he should be let go is not showing balls in the Seahawks, Pats games.
I am not saying BO'b had a lot to work with but he did have one quality Qb in Case Keenum as did Jeff Fisher and it shows Case is a pretty good Qb and better than he appeared under BO'b and Jeff Fisher. Not a superstar by any means but he still showed that he was capable of more than he showed under BO'b or Jeff Fisher. Case did show signs of being able to have more success with our Texans than he did.

I like some of the ways in which BO'b used our mobile Qb DW4. I am all for retaining BO'b at least 4 to 6 weeks into next season to see if he can do more with a healthier team than our team was this season. I do not see letting him go over the Seahawks and Pats games. He can be called to task over those games but it is not necessary to fire him over them. So in regards to my dislike of BO'b you are wrong. I feel he is worthy of being retained past this season. What needs to happen is let BO'b remain HC/OC for the beginning of next season and if that does not pan out as well as expected than we should look for a proven OC to take that place. I am not big on ending a coaches job before his contract runs out unless over an extended period of games it is obvious he has lost the team and they have quit on him.

You have nothing to say OB wasn't full in for Oz.

You also have nothing to show OB didn't want the OL as it is.

Many on this MB have said that Os was a Ricky pick at the direction of McNair.

You have nothing to prove you're right either.

I just dont believe BOB is in charge of coaching the team and the draft, but it sure makes things nice and tidy when it comes to the Texans org if you believe that.

Many on this MB have said that Os was a Ricky pick at the direction of McNair.

You have nothing to prove you're right either.

I just dont believe BOB is in charge of coaching the team and the draft, but it sure makes things nice and tidy when it comes to the Texans org if you believe that.

OB has come out on numerous occasions and stated he was totally on board with OS. Thy watched film and liked what they saw. Their (meaning both) mistake was not bringing him in to check out his personality prior to signing him.

OB has come out on numerous occasions and stated he was totally on board with OS. Thy watched film and liked what they saw. Their (meaning both) mistake was not bringing him in to check out his personality prior to signing him.

If BOB didn't like OS and Ricky did, what was BOB supposed to say.

Reputable reporters said Os was Ricky's pick. (RapSheet/Glazer/LaConfora)

Bottom line is this org is so dysfuntional that Ricky was willing to sit out FA to help get rid of BOB. IMHO

This had nothing to do with Romo.

I would agree with this and I even bought hook, line, and sinker that "Knows the playbook, can be our starter until Watson is ready" crap OB was selling. In the preseason you don't expect your rookie to QB the same way your 4th-year-in-the-system so-called veteran QB does but if you see a guy coming in doing all the kinds of things that Watson was doing and he's giving that more knowledgeable guy a run for his money (either in practice or preseason game situations) you gotta go with the upside and hope that just keeps on rising. If it's that close and they're comparable you go with the upside.

Yep. That’s the way it should’ve gone.

Sounds familiar...:thinking:

Back