Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

WK 3: BULLS & bears

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Man, that was a crazy year! What a wild ride. It was tough because we actually had talent on both sides of the ball. Those loses were hard to accept especially with turtle ball when we got the lead. Remember that?

Losing these games are easy. We should know we suck and not expect much.

I remember being at reliant and being on the side of the stadium that thought Kris Brown had won/tied the game and cheering, but he had missed it. Then walking out and hearing the “all VY does is win.”

Texazan

Our HOF 34
Just heard Lovie say in the presser and he didn't pause one second:
they love their RBs
not going to look at anyone else
just need Rex to be more dynamic, needs to improve

Boy he is bought in on Rex. He can't possibly believe what he just said can he? Rex isn't getting any better, ever. Just hilarious, Tank Commander Smith

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Mills has looked like a QB who would still be worth building around during the first 3 quarters of each game.
Again, he & the team have been historically bad on the road. I’m thinking that played a big part in what we saw the last couple of games.

I’m sold he’s not the next Dak Prescott. Hoping he’s not the next Trevor Simian.

Hopefully he’ll play well next week at home

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Again, he & the team have been historically bad on the road. I’m thinking that played a big part in what we saw the last couple of games.

I’m sold he’s not the next Dak Prescott. Hoping he’s not the next Trevor Simian.

Hopefully he’ll play well next week at home
To your point. I heard a stat that Mills has thrown 8 or 9 of his 12 NFL INTs on the road. What is interesting is that 6 of his 8 college INTs were also on the road. It's too small of a sample size, but it's worth keeping an eye on it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Sometimes, I read this forum and get whiplash from reading posts and doing double takes.
  1. We brag about Mills playing better than the other QBs that were drafted ahead him
  2. Some posters claim that if Mills was in the draft this year, he would be a first round pick
  3. Yet, when expectations are set and his performances are criticized, they bring up that he's a 3rd round pick
You can't have it both ways. Without any bias, grade him as a starting NFL QB. Don't grade him on a curve because he isn't Watson or you like him more than Watson or on his draft status or on him completing 2-3 passes in a quarter. I could give a rat's a$$ if he outplayed Fields. All I care about is when the Texans needed a play, did he step up? When they needed a first down, was he able to make that play? At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

Right now, he is far from the only problem with the Texans. However, he is also part of the problem and anyone deflecting or minimizing that point is getting the QB play and record they deserve.
For the record I'm not that guy.

But Mills was a couple of tipped passes away from having a solid game.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Easier to say than stand behind the Venus Flytrap better known as the Texans OL. Each defense that the Texans have faced in the first 3 weeks have had their way with the Texans OL…..to the tune of watching them successfully shove their arses back into the huddle.
That dude had clean pockets all day. Mills is not giving his routes development times, he's just dumping the ball. They had 1 breakdown yesterday, otherwise his jersey didn't even get dirty. Those are facts and I don't know what game some posters are watching.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!

That tipped pass would've been an interception anyway. Mills was predetermined to throw it to Burkhead and Roquan was already beading on that pass. The one to Cooks was just as bad because there was nothing there, he just forced it. It was going to be an incomplete pass vs an interception.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That dude had clean pockets all day. Mills is not giving his routes development times, he's just dumping the ball. They had 1 breakdown yesterday, otherwise his jersey didn't even get dirty. Those are facts and I don't know what game some posters are watching.
They need to provide that protection consistently before he can trust it.

I agree the pass pro looked “good” yesterday. But you can see Mills internal clock was amped.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Bring in Roquan & pair him with Harris & we could be set & not have to use a pick on an ILB.
I mean, Roquan is a player when he's healthy, we've seen that for years. I watched the Bills defense and the big guys they have up front and then watch the Texans defense and their smallish inside guys and I think thats the difference. Lovie and Frazier are off the same tree basically, but Frazier plays bigger inside. It doesn't matter how good Smith is if the ol is getting up on the backers consistently. Not only that, they were league leaders in missed tackles last year and are doing the same this year, missing tackles. KGH overrunning plays as well as Kirkskey.

Earl34

Hall of Fame

That tipped pass would've been an interception anyway. Mills was predetermined to throw it to Burkhead and Roquan was already beading on that pass. The one to Cooks was just as bad because there was nothing there, he just forced it. It was going to be an incomplete pass vs an interception.
He had a WR that was open on an IN route. But he was determined to throw it to Burkhead. Don't get me wrong. It was a great play by Roquan, but it was avoidable. Stop the video at the 3 second mark. It's only 3rd and 1. Look at the open WR on his right and Mills' head. It seems he wanted to look right, influence the defense and throw left. The problem is that the play was wide open to the right.

Last edited:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
He had a WR that was open on an IN route. But he was determined to throw it to Burkhead. Don't get me wrong. It was a great play by Roquan, but it was avoidable. Stop the video at the 3 second mark. It's only 3rd and 1. Look at the open WR and Mills' head. It seems he wanted to look right, influence the defense and throw left. The problem is that the play was wide open to the right.
I think that's a coaching problem. The play call is too tight as in this play is designed to go to X and Mills doesn't have enough experience to adjust to take what the defense is giving

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
They need to provide that protection consistently before he can trust it.

I agree the pass pro looked “good” yesterday. But you can see Mills internal clock was amped.
Pep have to get him to understand that he’s not gonna get a clean pocket every time & that he has to move sometimes to buy time…he had refused to climb the pocket and/or step to the side to buy time until yesterday’s game. The lone 3rd and long conversion we had yesterday came on that throw he made late out of the shadow of his own end zone in the 4th…& he had to side step left to buy time for Brown to get open. We need more of that from him.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Pep have to get him to understand that he’s not gonna get a clean pocket every time & that he has to move sometimes to buy time…he had refused to climb the pocket and/or step to the side to buy time until yesterday’s game. The lone 3rd and long conversion we had yesterday came on that throw he made late out of the shadow of his own end zone in the 4th…& he had to side step left to buy time for Brown to get open. We need more of that from him.
That throw to Dorsett was a great throw and pocket move. Thats todays nfl. For the most part, the only successful statue of late is Brady and to a lesser extent pick 6 stafford. You don't have to take off, but move in the pocket and reset your feet.

vtech9

All Pro
I've been wondering if Pep is trying to make Mills be too structured. I mean, last season, Mills went through his checkdowns better, and faster, and I seem to recall that he called some audibles. This season, it almost looks like he is being restricted. He's slower going through his reads, and he's not going through all of them when he does. I don't remember seeing him call an audible yet this season, and there have definitely been times that he should have. Is Pep trying to restrict him so he doesn't make mistakes? If so, I think restricting him is actually hurting him.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I mean, Roquan is a player when he's healthy, we've seen that for years. I watched the Bills defense and the big guys they have up front and then watch the Texans defense and their smallish inside guys and I think thats the difference. Lovie and Frazier are off the same tree basically, but Frazier plays bigger inside. It doesn't matter how good Smith is if the ol is getting up on the backers consistently. Not only that, they were league leaders in missed tackles last year and are doing the same this year, missing tackles. KGH overrunning plays as well as Kirkskey.

DT Jalen Carter with our 1st 1st round pick…… and id be ok with seeing if we could snatch Jaxson-Smith Njigba our 2nd 1st pick. So in 2023 we have Cooks, Metchie and Njigba…& Nico.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That throw to Dorsett was a great throw and pocket move. Thats todays nfl. For the most part, the only successful statue of late is Brady and to a lesser extent pick 6 stafford. You don't have to take off, but move in the pocket and reset your feet.
Agreed but not all of the time. He needs to step up into the pocket and deliver an accurate on time throw. The 4-5 times a game he needs to move and reset his feet he actually did a pretty good job of this last year.

I think Mr. Tex has this right. He predetermines where he's going with the ball even if he looks one way and throws the other. This is what young QBs do and it's a hard habit to break. The top 10 guys are able to do this.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think Mr. Tex has this right. He predetermines where he's going with the ball even if he looks one way and throws the other. This is what young QBs do and it's a hard habit to break. The top 10 guys are able to do this.
Hopefully this is a symptom of a young QB learning a 2nd system in two years. Would have been great if this system was in fact largely based on what Mills did at Stanford. But watching him this season compared to the way he played last season I'm just finding that hard to believe.

But I don't think predetermining where he's going with the ball was an issue last season. So I don't think it's a habit that needs to be broken, at least I hope it isn't.

He played faster yesterday & with more confidence (not a lot of confidence, just more) than he did the previous two weeks. Hopefully that continues. Two more games until the bye week, when he'll be able to take a breath, refocus & come out ready to play.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You don't know this.

I think he could have completed the pass to Burkhead if it hadn't been tipped. But that ball should have never been thrown to Burkhead to begin with if Mills had read what Smith was doing. (Covering the flat or dropping deeper into coverage.) Smith covered the flat and the wr was wide open. This is why I think Mills is pre-determing where he's going with the ball. The life of dealing with a rookie QB.

The 1st int was a good play breaking up the pass and unlucky the ball bounced up into the air.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
DT Jalen Carter with our 1st 1st round pick…… and id be ok with seeing if we could snatch Jaxson-Smith Njigba our 2nd 1st pick. So in 2023 we have Cooks, Metchie and Njigba…& Nico.
I'm thinking Anderson then best wr available, Addison is my favorite. I don't think Njogba will be available. Then Siaki and sign Roquan Smith in fa.

Then using the Browns 3rd and the Texans 4th/6th to trade up for Darnell Washington. Use the Texans 3rd for A chance.

This is my dream scenario.

austins23

Hall of Fame
The Oline played well. We’ll enough to get Mills to his third read.
So my question is, if he’s got a clean pocket and still throws balls in the dirt, wide, etc.,…..my uneducated opinion is that the OC isn’t getting anyone open. And I mentioned it in the game day thread (this may be that thread 🤷🏻‍♂️), we rarely have anyone wide open.But Mills also has to throw mofos open. So to me this is an OC/QB problem that needs to be fixed quick

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The Oline played well. We’ll enough to get Mills to his third read.
So my question is, if he’s got a clean pocket and still throws balls in the dirt, wide, etc.,…..my uneducated opinion is that the OC isn’t getting anyone open. And I mentioned it in the game day thread (this may be that thread 🤷🏻‍♂️), we rarely have anyone wide open.But Mills also has to throw mofos open. So to me this is an OC/QB problem that needs to be fixed quick
It's unlikely to be fixed until they add another playmaker at the WR position and hopefully Metchie makes it back too. Gotta add a playmaking TE too.

Reactions: JB

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
You don't know this.

I think he could have completed the pass to Burkhead if it hadn't been tipped. But that ball should have never been thrown to Burkhead to begin with if Mills had read what Smith was doing. (Covering the flat or dropping deeper into coverage.) Smith covered the flat and the wr was wide open. This is why I think Mills is pre-determing where he's going with the ball. The life of dealing with a rookie QB.

The 1st int was a good play breaking up the pass and unlucky the ball bounced up into the air.
Roquan took his 3 steps and was sitting. Before Mills even started his motion, Roquan was running through that pass. I've watched it several times. He was predetermined to go to Burkhead like he do most of the time when he's in the game for some reason.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Everyone wants to knock Ohio State qb's of late, but have anyone noticed the wr's? That's why you have to be objective about players and not be biased towards schools v players. I admit that recent history, OState qb's haven't fared any better than Bama o-linemen. I'm still going to evaluate Stroud,Young,and Levis before I do anything. Its the fastest way out of the basement especially in the afc.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
He was predetermined to go to Burkhead like he do most of the time when he's in the game for some reason.
then you’re not watching closely enough. Mills takes the snap and is immediately looking for something completely on the other side of the field…His head motion tells me this. Looks like he was looking for Howard/Brown who ran the same route as Burkhead on his right side. He then pops back to Burkhead and tries to get it to him instead b/c Brown is immediately covered up.

Cooks wasnt even on the radar as a read there..probably being used as a decoy on that play….like he’d been being used for most of that half.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Not specifically directed toward tester. My point is he had time to make throws. Look at CnDs post above. Cooks was wide open for a about a 15 yd gain on that tipped int.
That's the play we were talking about earlier. In CnD's post it looks like Nico behind Burkhead

Dirty has been talking about it for most of his show on 610.

Bad decision by Mills. Even if it weren't tipped & intercepted, Burkhead ain't picking up that 1st down & Lovie is not going for it on 4th down there.

That play was specifically called to expose the LB just like that, creating an easy throw for Mills.

That's a big moment Mills chose wrong. But that's correctable. Actually that's a lot like the 2nd OJ Howard TD in week 1.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Cooks wasnt even on the radar as a read there..probably being used as a decoy on that play….like he’d been being used for most of that half.
A lot of different ways to analyze this & we're all most likely wrong.

CnD posted this, if it's accurate Cooks is far right & easily picks up the 1st down.

But yeah, his read, his progression starts depending on what he sees before snap. Looking at that formation I can't imagine why he would look right 1st, unless you're looking at Cooks one on one with no safety on top.

But if he's looking at Cooks after the snap, why come off him. That CB is dropping hard respecting the speed & Cooks runs a quick out.

So for some reason we're saying Mills first read is Brown. That's strange

austins23

Hall of Fame
That's the play we were talking about earlier. In CnD's post it looks like Nico behind Burkhead

Dirty has been talking about it for most of his show on 610.

Bad decision by Mills. Even if it weren't tipped & intercepted, Burkhead ain't picking up that 1st down & Lovie is not going for it on 4th down there.

That play was specifically called to expose the LB just like that, creating an easy throw for Mills.

That's a big moment Mills chose wrong. But that's correctable. Actually that's a lot like the 2nd OJ Howard TD in week 1.
Whether it was Cooks or Collins behind Burkhead on that play…. Mills had plenty of time to hit that WR. And it’s gonna go for a few yards.
question is why did he panic and chuck it to Burkhead?

Reactions: JB

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Whether it was Cooks or Collins behind Burkhead on that play…. Mills had plenty of time to hit that WR. And it’s gonna go for a few yards.
question is why did he panic and chuck it to Burkhead?
No doubt. But that's way different than bad throws. This is more like not really understanding the playcall/defensive look

He & Pep not on the same page.

Or given the situation Pep may have told him to play it for the 1st down. Howard 1st, then Burkhead, move the chains.

Regardless. I hope they learn from this & do better in the future.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
then you’re not watching closely enough. Mills takes the snap and is immediately looking for something completely on the other side of the field…His head motion tells me this. Looks like he was looking for Howard/Brown who ran the same route as Burkhead on his right side. He then pops back to Burkhead and tries to get it to him instead b/c Brown is immediately covered up.

I never said Cooks was a target or even part of the play. He took a quick look and I mean quick on the right side and then came back to Burkhead while Collins was coming open on the drage in the hole. He didn't give the play a chance to develop at all. As I stated earlier, Smith was sitting on that route and was already jumping that route before it was even tipped.

vtech9

All Pro
No doubt. But that's way different than bad throws. This is more like not really understanding the playcall/defensive look

He & Pep not on the same page.

Or given the situation Pep may have told him to play it for the 1st down. Howard 1st, then Burkhead, move the chains.

Regardless. I hope they learn from this & do better in the future.
Yeah, that's kind of what I was talking about before. I think Pep is telling him exactly what to do, and not letting him just play the game. I'm of the opinion that Pep thinks he's the smartest guy in the building, and knows what is going to work, so he tells Mills to look for exactly that, and to ignore the others. Kind of like the 2 TDs to OJ Howard in the first game.