Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

WK 3: BULLS & bears

So, if you believe our OL is below average why is it ALL on Mills?

Surely there is room for the "below average line" to shoulder at least partial blame.
For the most part protection was ā€œgood enoughā€ today.

Run blocking is still way too bad. Against the worst run D in the league Pierce got to the 2nd level untouched only once. Never got to the 3rd level untouched. Thatā€™s a big problem.

Expected because the OL still needs to gel? Nahā€¦ they should have been better considering who they were playing

I think this is fair. I understand, complaining but having no solution. I don't know what I would do. Honestly, even if it goes against conventional wisdom, I would make our Qbs compete each week and start whoever practiced better and see if one can have a spark. At this point, you have nothing to lose.
I think I saw the improvement I wanted to see from Mills this game over last game.

It was a good game for him considering he was on the road. 7.7 ypa, his ball placement looked better, his feel in the pocket looked better (until the 4th Qtr) & heā€™s making good decisions, mostly.

I donā€™t like that he forced the throw to Cooks in the end zone that was batted & tipped. The other INt was also a tipped ball but more of a good play by the defense than a bad decision by Mills.

I think heā€™s on track for a really good season (for him) the rest of the way.

Two of the next three on the road will probably be an issue, but improvements to the run game should help.

Who manages and leads the offense? WRs and TEs can't throw it to themselves. Runners can't get running lanes if defenses don't fear your passer. We have this argument every time we have a trash QB leading this team. Guys need to stop making excuses. He sucks. He isn't the future. He isn't getting better. The team made a mistake relying on him.

Yup. Been saying it for 1.5 years but all I hear is excuses. This guy has no juice, canā€™t make a clutch play, and plays his worst when it matters the most. He is a #2 at best.

Yup. Been saying it for 1.5 years but all I hear is excuses. This guy has no juice, canā€™t make a clutch play, and plays his worst when it matters the most. He is a #2 at best.

I gotta say he's 0-3 playing well in 4th qtrs this yr. However it sure would be nice to not have to throw to Pharoh or have Burkhead running/catching the football late in the 4th qtr. I really didn't recognize this, but Burkhead cant make people miss anymore. Everybody knows what I think of Pharoh.

He's a loser, regardless of whatever he accomplishes on a field. Sorry, but I'm glad he's gone.. in good conscience I would've never been able to root for that POS and would feel ashamed he played for my team. I can't wait until we find the guy who wipes him off all Texans records completely.
Off the field yes heā€™s a loser but on the football field heā€™s one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. Again his team and coaches failed him and the entire Texans fanbase.

I gotta say he's 0-3 playing well in 4th qtrs this yr. However it sure would be nice to not have to throw to Pharoh or have Burkhead running/catching the football late in the 4th qtr. I really didn't recognize this, but Burkhead cant make people miss anymore. Everybody knows what I think of Pharoh.
Wait. What? Who is playing well in 4th quarters? The Texans have been outscored 30-0 in the 4th quarter.

Looks like Roquan Smith will be playing today.
Boy, was he.
I'll be watching him, but I expect his performance today will be compromised.
I'd hate to see Smith at 100%.
We need new updated 2020 varsity jackets.
Not ready to graduate from the JV.
One int off a ball tipped at the LOS.
David Carr will be relieved to know that those don't count.
Are we TIED for last or sole possession?
All by themselves.
I'm still in the give Mills the season.
Is there a choice?
The problem with hero ball is your team has a low ceiling.
Not as low as what we're looking at now.
I think DP is playing well.
Pierce is playing hard. Not smart. Fighting for yards like that will cause turnovers. Sometimes nothing is there and you go get them on the next down. Right now, Pierce reminds me of former Jet/Saints RB Chris Ivory. A very hard running RB, but doesn't have a great feel for the game. Full throttle 100% of the time doesn't work in this league.

Nobody wished for this.. We just want a winner who isn't a total creep that likes to insert fingers in his own orifices.. That isn't too much to ask is it?
:hankpalm: (Life of a Texans fan)

That "Hero ball" we all saw was just more of the same (losses in frustrating fashion), but it definitely was more fun to watch.. still the same result though.
Honestly we don't care what he does with his orifices or any willing adults. We just don't want to know about it.

If you canā€™t beat a team with a QB as bad as Justin Fields is, and boy is he horrible looking, then I don't think anything else needs to be said. The Texans are not a good football team. And I'm still not convinced upper management still isn't all that concerned about wins right now.

Going into the game...........Everything that Eberflus said could and should have been said by Lovie.....and still applies AFTER this game.

Will the Bears run defense improve?

The Bears entered Week 3 ranked last in the NFL in run defense after allowing 176 yards on the ground to the 49ers and 203 yards to the Packers. Following the Green Bay loss, linebacker Nicholas Morrow said: "It's hard to win games when you let teams run the ball on you."

The defense focused on sharpening its fundamentals in practice this week, with Eberflus telling reporters that missed tackles aren't tolerated and that "it's something we have to correct and we're going to work tirelessly to get that done."

The Bears coach felt that the tackling issues against the Packers were caused by poor technique and not a lack of effort or focus.

"We are tackling too high right now," Eberflus said. "We've got to tackle lower. We've just got to do a better job of executing the way we tackle."

The Bears defense will face Texans running back Dameon Pierce, a 2022 fourth-round pick who leads all NFL rookies in rushing with 102 yards on 26 carries.

"Really good player," said defensive coordinator Alan Williams. "Quick, spins, can jump cut, has some explosiveness in him, good contact balance, which means that on contact when he's getting hit that he doesn't stop his feet, he keeps going. He's one that we're going to have our hands full against."

Reactions: JB
The Bear fans must be pissed that they spent a 1st on Justin Fields. Boy is hot garbage! The Colts just picked Mahomie off to win the game!
The Bears should have given Nick Foles more of a chance to earn the starting Qb job. I think it is safe to say the Colts have one of the best back up Qb's in the NFL.

I think the Jags were foolish to send Foles to the Bears to begin with. Nick threw a perfect TD pass and ended up with a broken collar bone and when he returned from his injury he was never afforded any real chance at reclaiming the starting Qb job. His replacement Gardner Minshew was favored and yet he no longer is a member of the Jaguars.

On a side note, while things are looking up for the rest of our division we are trending on the down side. We were penciling in our games with the Jaguars as our best chances to win but based on how the Jags have looked the last two weeks that may no longer be the case. Oh well, we will most likely get another top 3 pick and if DM does not pan out we could end up with a much better replacement.

I hope the rest of the division enjoys beating us at this time because I do think our near future is bright!

Last edited:
Off the field yes heā€™s a loser but on the football field heā€™s one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. Again his team and coaches failed him and the entire Texans fanbase.
I recognize your hero ball references are aimed at one member of this board, to rub it in his face. I think we all recognize it. Eventually, though, people are going to forget that if you keep referencing Watson every chance you get and start to think you actually miss that creep Watson.

As far as the team and coach failing him, most of the ones that aren't here anymore were let go by the organization. Unlike Watson, who quit on the team by angling for a trade that would benefit him and him alone. Who failed who here?

True. He's most likely not our next franchise QB. That's fine. He's a placeholder. He's Jacoby Brissett
Unfortunately, it's beginning to look like it.
Fortunately, we will have first bite of the QB cherry next draft and it looks like a good class.

They'll finally have a good day against another bad team who's having a bad day. It'll happen, it's just the odds. Or maybe they really are the worst team in the league. LOL We've been down that road a few times.
They are very good at finding a way to lose.

Yupā€¦but he doesnt pass or run blockā€¦he doesnt catch or drop passes..he doesnt call playsā€¦you need to calm downā€¦the offense as a whole has not performed well all seasonā€¦Pierce is the lone bright spotā€¦.& he fumbled twice today in critical situationsā€¦
To be any good, a team like this needs a good one-two punch in the backfield.

I donā€™t get it. For the last year youā€™ve been blasting him for being a quitter and a loser (rightfully so) but today after the loss youā€™re looking back fondly(?) with almost a told ya so lean. Heā€™s gone, isnā€™t coming back, who cares about that dude? Why bring him up? At no time today did his name even pop into my head.

I don't understand the Burkhead target/carries thing. He's 32, no juice, but he's safe I guess

Not sure this is any consolation but Chargers are no longer playoff team and should rest Herbert (talk about poor decisions). Play Texans next week (home). Even money who wins that slugfest with Chase Daniels QBā€™ing? So letā€™s wait one more week before slaughtering Mills.

Not sure this is any consolation but Chargers are no longer playoff team and should rest Herbert (talk about poor decisions). Play Texans next week (home). Even money who wins that slugfest with Chase Daniels QBā€™ing? So letā€™s wait one more week before slaughtering Mills.

Three games in and youā€™re already writing off your new favorite team? 17 game season. Bill Belichick would say ā€œweā€™re on to Cincinnatiā€¦ā€ or Houston in Chargersā€™ case.

We have a better chance of winning against Herbert. Backup QBs tend to shine against our Texans, especially at home

Back