Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

WK 3: BULLS & bears

You mock drafting already?

Yep, this team isn't going anywhere, like we all suspected. I think Caserio had a great draft in laying the foundation for the future. Hopefully he continues this trend in the next draft and goes and gets a QB he likes in 2024. Unless some more talented vet QB's move around again this yr.

What are your thoughts on my mock? Fixes the DL/LB positions and adds playmakers on offense. I'm really liking Achane. The mock looks alot like last yrs draft. A bunch of SEC/Big 12 guys with a Big 10 TE mixed in. You could do a lot worse than a solid draft like this one.

Speed/Speed/Speed

Last edited:
Yep, this team isn't going anywhere, like we all suspected. I think Caserio had a great draft in laying the foundation for the future. Hopefully he continues this trend in the next draft and goes and gets a QB he likes in 2024. Unless some more talented vet QB's move around again this yr.
Why wouldn't he get a qb this year?

What don't you like? Levis, Young, nor Stroud?

Stroud + Ohio St. QB, you saw fields yesterday and he put up similar numbers. Young is too small and doesn't perform well when pressured. Levis I haven't watched much, but from what I've seen he's got a big arm but struggles with accuracy. I guess you draft him if you think you can turn him into Allen, but I wouldn't bet on it happening. I guess what really bothers me is he couldn't beat out a very avg Clifford at Penn St.

I've kept up with Ewers since HS. He's the real deal. I like him much more than Stroud as a NFL QB. I see Ewers as another Burrow and I like Williams more than Ewers.

Last edited:
Nico as your #2...kinda sat & watched him a little these last few weeks...he's a TERRIBLE route runner.
Yes. But...Nico is long and a good jumper. Give the guy some chances on 50/50 balls.

You know what I've always admired about Belichick? His ability to find out what a player can do and concentrates on that. That's been this teams problem since the beginning. Trying to fit square pegs into round holes.
Dang so people can talk about Capers, Kubiak and Matt Schaub. Isn’t this a sports forum?
Start a thread about them. None were at yesterday's game.
Double your money when you pick the Texans to beat the Chargers straight up.

Go for it, guys. :fans:
Fir shir! imho Texans will win come Sunday vs Chargers.
I'm more comfortable with the points. Texans 2-0-1 vs. spread, 0-3 vs line.
I watched the Bills defense and the big guys they have up front and then watch the Texans defense and their smallish inside guys and I think thats the difference.
How many Texans D-linemen make the Bills roster? Hint: It rhymes with hero.
You mock drafting already?
I think @steelbtexan knows how much it gets on @JB 's nerves.

Yes. But...Nico is long and a good jumper. Give the guy some chances on 50/50 balls.

You know what I've always admired about Belichick? His ability to find out what a player can do and concentrates on that. That's been this teams problem since the beginning. Trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

Start a thread about them. None were at yesterday's game.

I'm more comfortable with the points. Texans 2-0-1 vs. spread, 0-3 vs line.

How many Texans D-linemen make the Bills roster? Hint: It rhymes with hero. I'm talking from a body type point in terms of bigger bodies inside.

I think @steelbtexan knows how much it gets on @JB 's nerves.

Stroud + Ohio St. QB, you saw fields yesterday and he put up similar numbers. Young is too small and doesn't perform well when pressured. Levis I haven't watched much, but from what I've seen he's got a big arm but struggles with accuracy. I guess you draft him if you think you can turn him into Allen, but I wouldn't bet on it happening. I guess what really bothers me is he couldn't beat out a very avg Clifford at Penn St.

I've kept up with Ewers since HS. He's the real deal. I like him much more than Stroud as a NFL QB. I see Ewers as another Burrow and I like Williams more than Ewers.
So you can base a prospect based on the school, but you didn't do that with Neal and all the bust they had coming out of bama as o-line prospects? You're pumping Ewers, but he couldn't beat out Stroud who wasn't a highly recruited player coming out of high school. There isn't anything to say Ewers is the real deal. What is is based on, high school 3 years ago? He hasn't played until this year and he got hurt.

A lot of different ways to analyze this & we're all most likely wrong.

CnD posted this, if it's accurate Cooks is far right & easily picks up the 1st down.

But yeah, his read, his progression starts depending on what he sees before snap. Looking at that formation I can't imagine why he would look right 1st, unless you're looking at Cooks one on one with no safety on top.

But if he's looking at Cooks after the snap, why come off him. That CB is dropping hard respecting the speed & Cooks runs a quick out.

So for some reason we're saying Mills first read is Brown. That's strange

alright so my bad, Cooks is on the far right side in the trips formation which is just 1 of the reasons he likely starts out looking that way 1st..so to me its very likely his 1st read was out there too since trips right side is technically the strong side of the formation........... & most plays are designed to go to the strong side...especially with your #1 over there.

The other thing is…it was 3rd and 1..not 3rd and long. The defense is spread out…i.e. the pass rush is coming & he has no upback for protection...in other words, The ball has to come out quickly.

I never said Cooks was a target or even part of the play. He took a quick look and I mean quick on the right side and then came back to Burkhead while Collins was coming open on the drage in the hole. He didn't give the play a chance to develop at all. As I stated earlier, Smith was sitting on that route and was already jumping that route before it was even tipped.

All it really took was a “quick look” to see if Cooks or whomever was gonna come open quickly. Someone said upthread that Burkhead had no chance to get the 1st. That's not true. EVERY WR OUT THERE ran routes that went well past the 1st down marker..Burkhead included. All they needed was 1 yard. Check the screenshot. The ball being tipped is what enables Roquan to get there, Burkhead falling back instead of coming to the ball would've make it close, but i don't think he gets there in time if the ball isn't tipped.

1664244718634.png
Some of what happened in this 1 play is related to several things. 1st, the last drive in the 3rd qtr. 3rd and 1 on the goal line, we try to run it with Pierce and he is absolutely stuffed..we wound up settling for a fg & that should've been a TD. In Mills' mind i believe, Some of this had to do with how the Denver & Colts games ended too...where he took some bad sacks late in the 4th of both of those games that effectively killed some drives. In his mind he's thinking he has to make sure he gets the ball out quickly so as to not have that happen again. He was on the right track...just has to speed up his processing.

Last edited:
So you can base a prospect based on the school, but you didn't do that with Neal and all the bust they had coming out of bama as o-line prospects? You're pumping Ewers, but he couldn't beat out Stroud who wasn't a highly recruited player coming out of high school. There isn't anything to say Ewers is the real deal. What is is based on, high school 3 years ago? He hasn't played until this year and he got hurt.

I'm telling you it's the same as when Burrow couldn't beat out Fields. Fields ran the Ohio St. offense which doesn't prepare you for the NFL and Burrow goes to LSU, gets to work with Joe Brady in a pro style offense, wins a NC/Heisman and is the 1st pick in the draft. In yr 2 takes his team to a SB.

Fast forward and Fields is running the Ohio St offense and Ewers is getting to run a pro style offense under Sark. I'm not saying that Ewers will accomplish everything Burrow did, but Ewers is every bit as talented as Stroud and Ewers will be the better NFL QB. IMHO

alright so my bad, Cooks is on the far right side in the trips formation which is just 1 of the reasons he likely starts out looking that way 1st..so to me its very likely his 1st read was out there too since trips right side is technically the strong side of the formation........... & most plays are designed to go to the strong side...especially with your #1 over there.

The other thing is…it was 3rd and 1..not 3rd and long. The defense is spread out…i.e. the pass rush is coming & he has no upback for protection...in other words, The ball has to come out quickly.

All it really took was a “quick look” to see if Cooks or whomever was gonna come open quickly. Someone said upthread that Burkhead had no chance to get the 1st. That's not true. EVERY WR OUT THERE ran routes that went well past the 1st down marker..Burkhead included. All they needed was 1 yard. Check the screenshot. The ball being tipped is what enables Roquan to get there, Burkhead falling back instead of coming to the ball would've make it close, but i don't think he gets there in time if the ball isn't tipped.

View attachment 10740
Some of what happened in this 1 play is related to several things. 1st, the last drive in the 3rd qtr. 3rd and 1 on the goal line, we try to run it with Pierce and he is absolutely stuffed..we wound up settling for a fg & that should've been a TD. In Mills' mind i believe, Some of this had to do with how the Denver & Colts games ended too...where he took some bad sacks late in the 4th of both of those games that effectively killed some drives. In his mind he's thinking he has to make sure he gets the ball out quickly so as to not have that happen again. He was on the right track...just has to speed up his processing.

Collins was open after Smith stepped up to cover Burkhead in the flat.

I'm telling you it's the same as when Burrow couldn't beat out Fields. Fields ran the Ohio St. offense which doesn't prepare you for the NFL and Burrow goes to LSU, gets to work with Joe Brady in a pro style offense, wins a NC/Heisman and is the 1st pick in the draft. In yr 2 takes his team to a SB.

Fast forward and Fields is running the Ohio St offense and Ewers is getting to run a pro style offense under Sark. I'm not saying that Ewers will accomplish everything Burrow did, but Ewers is every bit as talented as Stroud and Ewers will be the better NFL QB. IMHO

Ehh, im not buying it. Has next to nothing to do with the schools or Joe Brady's offense or whatever you're saying. Joe Brady and his great offense was fired in Carolina after 2 years of suck. Hell he wasn't even the OC at LSU.....& he's not in Buffalo either, Ken Dorsey is. Brady just came into a great situation at LSU where he had 3-4 absolute studs at WR in Chase, Jefferson and Marshall..all 3 of which went in the top 2 rounds of their respective drafts. I just think Burrow got underrated at OSU in favor of the more athletic and dynamic athlete in Fields is all. That plays in college...where you can get away with being just a dynamic athlete......not so much in the NFL..you have to be a competent passer before any defense is gonna respect you enough to open up those running lanes.

Reactions: JB
Smith was keying on Mills. He only moved in on Burkhead once Mills had committed to Burkhead on the throw. Before that he was sitting back covering up Nico.
Nico was running into the hole just inside the hash and he was going to be wide open for a big play. It's not like Mills was under pressure and had to get rid of the ball. He had time to wait.

General rule is if the LB stays where he is or steps forward the throw goes to the WR inside the hashes.
I'm just saying. If you're saying Collins was open because Smith was stepping up, it's too late. Smith is stepping up because the ball is out of Mills hand.

He was sitting in zone, had no idea what Collins was doing.

He was in the passing lane, but Nico was running into open space.

Giants cover two left the middle wide open

High-lo passing concept where the LB is the read. Smith initial movement on the snap was back into that passing lane & he didn't neccessarily need to know what Collins was doing..he just needed to get into his zone to deter Mills from throwing it anywhere around there...Keep the ball in front of you and rally up. From Mills' perspective, Smith's movement back was an automatic dump down to Burkhead. That's why Mills committed to it so fast. If that ball isn't tipped Roquan's not getting there.

Nico was running into the hole just inside the hash and he was going to be wide open for a big play. It's not like Mills was under pressure and had to get rid of the ball. He had time to wait.
If Mills decided to start his progression on the left, with Smith as his key, then you're absolutely correct.

But Mills definitely starts on his right. Don't know why. By the time he comes back to the left, who knows what he's thinking?

3rd & 1, with the blitz, his internal clock is ticking.

By virtue of Smith keying on Mills, whose to say Smith even moves out of the passing lane to Nico if Mills is looking over there in that general direction? As a qb you don't know how much time you have "to wait"..you're just trying to move the chains man. In that situation, i'd rather he get the ball out quickly for the 1st instead of holding onto it and possibly risk taking a sack and making it 4th and 6.

High-lo passing concept where the LB is the read. Smith initial movement on the snap was back into that passing lane & he didn't neccessarily need to know what Collins was doing..he just needed to get into his zone to deter Mills from throwing it anywhere around there...Keep the ball in front of you and rally up. From Mills' perspective, Smith's movement back was an automatic dump down to Burkhead. That's why Mills committed to it so fast. If that ball isn't tipped Roquan's not getting there.
For the most part I agree. But you're the main one saying he looked right 1st.

If he's looking right 1st he doesn't see the LB drop.

For the most part I agree. But you're the main one saying he looked right 1st.

If he's looking right 1st he doesn't see the LB drop.

1664247739556.png

Pre snap read of personnel packages and alignment can tell you alot bro....
1: We're in a 5 wideout spread formation.....designed specifically to spread the defense out.....to make it easier for the qb to determine if they're in zone or man.
2: there was no blitz, Bears only rushed 4.....which means they were in nickel or some other pass detering package. B/c they had 2 LBs on the field to match up with our TE, it was most likely nickel they were in.
3. There's only 6 guys remotely close to or in the box presnap...2 CB's out wide with the nickel guy up....which means there are 2 safeties back.

All those things scream zone coverage......especially the 2 safeties back. What kind of zone is the only thing left to determine...but even that you can sniff out pre-snap if you know what to look for. without the all-22 or view from Mills' vantage point its impossible for us fans to know.

View attachment 10741

Pre snap read of personnel packages and alignment can tell you alot bro....
1: We're in a 5 wideout spread formation.....designed specifically to spread the defense out.....to make it easier for the qb to determine if they're in zone or man.
2: there was no blitz, Bears only rushed 4.....which means they were in nickel or some other pass detering package. B/c they had 2 LBs on the field to match up with our TE, it was most likely nickel they were in.
3. There's only 6 guys remotely close to or in the box presnap...2 CB's out wide with the nickel guy up....which means there are 2 safeties back.

All those things scream zone coverage......especially the 2 safeties back. What kind of zone is the only thing left to determine...but even that you can sniff out pre-snap if you know what to look for. without the all-22 or view from Mills' vantage point its impossible for us fans to know.
I got all that.

What you quoted was me saying Mills started looking right. I just don't see how he can see the LBs drop if he first looks right. By the time he comes back left, the LB is already settled. He sees sure handed Burkhead there... I don't have a problem with that decision.

then you’re not watching closely enough. Mills takes the snap and is immediately looking for something completely on the other side of the field…His head motion tells me this. Looks like he was looking for Howard/Brown who ran the same route as Burkhead on his right side. He then pops back to Burkhead and tries to get it to him instead b/c Brown is immediately covered up.

Why wouldn't he get a qb this year?

This teams not remotely ready to invest a RD1 pick on a QB with the team in its current situation.

I believe 2024 will be the year for a QB1 via the draft or in FA.

The Texans must get a foundation in place before they burn through another QB like a 5 year old with a dollar in their hand.

Last edited:
This teams not remotely ready to invest a RD1 pick on a QB with the team in its current situation.

The Texans must get a foundation in place before they burn through another QB like a 5 year old with a dollar in their hand.

If your quarterback is in the 2023 draft you get him right then and there. You have 5 picks in the first three rounds, therefore, you can fill those other positions of needs.

1ST
1ST (CLEVELAND)
2ND
3RD
3RD (CLEVELAND)
4TH
5TH
6TH
6TH (GIANTS)
6TH (VIKINGS)
6TH (SAINTS)

I got all that.

What you quoted was me saying Mills started looking right. I just don't see how he can see the LBs drop if he first looks right. By the time he comes back left, the LB is already settled. He sees sure handed Burkhead there... I don't have a problem with that decision.

dude, if he knows they’re in a nickel zone of some sort, he knows the LB’s are most likely dropping back in the middle of the field somewhere to defend the pass. In that instance He doesnt have to actually know exactly where each 1 is dropping..just that they are dropping back. A BIG clue tho is where the other LB drops on the right side since those guys tend to mirror each other in zone pass coverage defenses…which is what he does initially probably see when he looks right 1st. Its not an entirely blind throw. Film study and what the Bears have done throughout the course of the game in similar situations can also give him a clue.

the other part to this is the match up. RB on LB is typically a match up in favor of the offense. Same for TE on LB…but with our personnel, its closer to even…

Last edited:
Watching the Giants and Cowboys...I'd rather have Mills than Daniel Jones, what, 4th year?
At least Mills keeps it within 3 points or so going into the 4th quarter.
Exactly how is Mills keeping it within 3 points when the offense is barely moving the ball? I guess Mills plays defense too.

A top QB should have been able to overcome that, especially an All World QB like DW....He should have been able to match TD to TD all game long and.come out ahead!

A top quarterback can not overcome the piss poor defense and offensive line play like the Texans had back then.

@Texansballer74, don't take the bait on such a ridiculous take. That's like saying any good QB should never lose a game because they should match TD to TD. It's so ridiculous and such a weak troll attempt, it doesn't need a response.

I'm telling you it's the same as when Burrow couldn't beat out Fields.
Burrow and Fields were never at Columbus at the same time. Burrow transferred to LSU following the 2017 season, because he was running 2nd team behind Dwayne Haskins. Burrow was immediately eligible at LSU because he had
graduated in 3 years.

Fields played at Georgia in 2018 behind Jake Fromm. He transferred to Ohio State after the 2018 season, receiving immediate eligibility after a waiver from the NCAA.

Burrow and Fields were never at Columbus at the same time. Burrow transferred to LSU following the 2017 season, because he was running 2nd team behind Dwayne Haskins. Burrow was immediately eligible at LSU because he had
graduated in 3 years.

Fields played at Georgia in 2018 behind Jake Fromm. He transferred to Ohio State after the 2018 season, receiving immediate eligibility after a waiver from the NCAA.
Hanlon's and Burrow

My point remains the same.

Good catch

dude, if he knows they’re in a nickel zone of some sort, he knows the LB’s are most likely dropping back in the middle of the field somewhere to defend the pass. In that instance He doesnt have to actually know exactly where each 1 is dropping..just that they are dropping back. A BIG clue tho is where the other LB drops on the right side since those guys tend to mirror each other in zone pass coverage defenses…which is what he does initially probably see when he looks right 1st. Its not an entirely blind throw. Film study and what the Bears have done throughout the course of the game in similar situations can also give him a clue.

the other part to this is the match up. RB on LB is typically a match up in favor of the offense. Same for TE on LB…but with our personnel, its closer to even…
somewhere near the beginning of this debate, some are saying the read was Raquon Smith, the LB on Mills' left. The thesis is that Mills should have watched that LB, if he settles, then the throw should go to Collins running behind him. If he continues his drop, the throw should go to Burkhead.

you mentioned Mills started his progression looking right. & I agree. therefore, the read is not Raquon Smith. Not in the same way. He's looking at something on his right, didn't like it, therefore he comes back left.

look at this clip, watch the rotation of the safety & LB on the right. The safety rolls back & deep. 53 creeps up. It's 3rd & 1. Mills could very well thought 53 was blitzing & identified Brown as the hot read. To me, that makes sense.

But when the ball is snapped, 53 maintains his depths & picks up Brown's route. So Mills looks left & sees Burkhead open.

Again, there are a dozen ways we can look at this & speculate what actually happened. Presnap, the formation says Roquan Smith should have been the read. But we know Mills looks right first.

somewhere near the beginning of this debate, some are saying the read was Raquon Smith, the LB on Mills' left. The thesis is that Mills should have watched that LB, if he settles, then the throw should go to Collins running behind him. If he continues his drop, the throw should go to Burkhead.

you mentioned Mills started his progression looking right. & I agree. therefore, the read is not Raquon Smith. Not in the same way. He's looking at something on his right, didn't like it, therefore he comes back left.

look at this clip, watch the rotation of the safety & LB on the right. The safety rolls back & deep. 53 creeps up. It's 3rd & 1. Mills could very well thought 53 was blitzing & identified Brown as the hot read. To me, that makes sense.

But when the ball is snapped, 53 maintains his depths & picks up Brown's route. So Mills looks left & sees Burkhead open.

Again, there are a dozen ways we can look at this & speculate what actually happened. Presnap, the formation says Roquan Smith should have been the read. But we know Mills looks right first.

I see what you're trying to say...I just don't agree. The actual clip of the play at the snap, 53 isn't even at blitz depth..hell he's not even looking at Mills or the offense. he's way off the LOS and communicating with the CB's to his left. so i have a hard time believing Mills thought he was coming.
Furthermore it'd be unsound defense to not have a safety really close to Brown or at least in the vicinity of him but over the top on the strong side of the formation with the offense's #1 WR over there to boot...if indeed there was thinking that 53 was coming as you say. That would've been a presnap intel he would've used to determine this. In the clip below, the safety's no where in the vicinity of Brown or the WR's...again suggesting that he's got deep coverage responsibilities.
1664294155406.png

You also might've seen a different route combo from the WR's over there too if they thought this..b/c remember, the WR's and Qb have to see the same thing. At least 1 of those WR's would've run something much deeper to see if they can hit the big splash play; instead they all ran some variation of a dig or speed out. 2, you wouldn't have in all liklihood seen CHI cb's playing up like they were if they had no safety help over the top. If they were trying to disguise a blitz, it was poorly disguised. 4th qtr, 3rd and 1, 1.04 to go in the game with the opposition driving, as a cb....as a defense, you're not playing aggressive like that, you're not positioning yourself to give up the big play over the top.

Again tho i can't stress how quick & easy of a read these are. Roquan may not have been the initial read, but he was surely a secondary read. Either way, Mills wouldn't have to spend a whole lot of time watching 53 on his right or Roquan on his left b/c they both did the same thing....dropped back..53 DID NOT "creep up" he just picked up Brown's route as he stopped in front of him. For Roquan's part, he doesn't even begin to break on Burkhead until Mills is looking at Burkhead and is ready to throw it to him..see the 1st screenshot. Its a very quick read for Mills after he initially looks right. 1st screenshot Roquan is flat-footed while Mills is looking straight ahead. 2nd screenshot Mills is looking at Burkhead and Roquan begins breaking underneath. Nico's slow ass hasn't even began to throttle down on his route to get behind Roquan on either of these clips So Mills waiting for him to clear would've been a mistake. Honestly it was just great discipline by Roquan to not cheat towards Burkhead until he got the signal from Mills.
1664295549495.png1664295561748.png

Last edited:

What is pro style anymore with the college game intertwined into it? You brought up Fields transferring because he couldn't beat out Fromm or am I making that up. I said Ewers couldn't beat out Stroud and hasn't played alot of football. Pro Style in college means nothing because good coaches tailor the offense around the qb. Allen, Mahomes, Jackson, Hurts, Tua, none of those guys played in pro style offenses in college. Ewers hasn't played games since his junior year in high school and now he's injured.

Last edited:

What foundation did Cincy have? Baltimore was bad before Jackson. You can't build everything out and then get the qb, it doesn't work that way. Let me ask you, if the Texans had better qb play despite what the defense has done, what would their record be? Just because you have the qb, doesn't mean you stop team building. Nothing trumps a qb in my opinion. You have to be right just like any other posistion, but if you get that right, it speeds up your rebuild. The oline in pass pro has been more than adequate and if the gms wouldn't have wet the bed, the running game would be better too. It should be Pierce, another runner, then Burkhead. Damn near every team has 2 runners except the Texans.

What foundation did Cincy have? Baltimore was bad before Jackson. You can't build everything out and then get the qb, it doesn't work that way. Let me ask you, if the Texans had better qb play despite what the defense has done, what would their record be? Just because you have the qb, doesn't mean you stop team building. Nothing trumps a qb in my opinion. You have to be right just like any other posistion, but if you get that right, it speeds up your rebuild. The oline in pass pro has been more than adequate and if the gms wouldn't have wet the bed, the running game would be better too. It should be Pierce, another runner, then Burkhead. Damn near every team has 2 runners except the Texans.

It would be interesting to compare the roster of the Bengals and the Ravens prior to their drafting Burrow and Jackson to what the Texans have now.

I am willing to bet they have better players at 95% of the starting positions. But I could be wrong.

And the Bengals are in the situation they are in because Burrow’s rookie year he got hurt and they had a top draft pick again. I interpret that as a QB needs tools like a number 1 receiver. And a running back that the bengals already had. Texans might? Burrow is still getting hit too much. Not good for him long term.

And the Ravens went 9-7 the year prior to drafting Jackson. So yea - they were a lot better.

Apples and oranges to me.

View attachment 10744
Roquan begins breaking underneath. Nico's slow ass hasn't even began to throttle down on his route to get behind Roquan on either of these clips So Mills waiting for him to clear would've been a mistake. Honestly it was just great discipline by Roquan to not cheat towards Burkhead until he got the signal from Mills.
View attachment 10746View attachment 10747
It seems to me given the situation that the play call and route run by Burkhead would have been a quick out so he could have run out of bounds and preserve a timeout. I don't get why Burkhead is breaking in to middle of field and more coverage

It seems to me given the situation that the play call and route run by Burkhead would have been a quick out so he could have run out of bounds and preserve a timeout. I don't get why Burkhead is breaking in to middle of field and more coverage

The CB who was lined up on Nico is sitting right there. He passes Nico off and is free at that point. If Burkhead runs an out, he's probably running right into that CB's zone. Best thing for Burkhead to do against that zone was what he did. run his curl and sit down in that zone window.

It would be interesting to compare the roster of the Bengals and the Ravens prior to their drafting Burrow and Jackson to what the Texans have now.

I am willing to bet they have better players at 95% of the starting positions. But I could be wrong.

And the Bengals are in the situation they are in because Burrow’s rookie year he got hurt and they had a top draft pick again. I interpret that as a QB needs tools like a number 1 receiver. And a running back that the bengals already had. Texans might? Burrow is still getting hit too much. Not good for him long term.

And the Ravens went 9-7 the year prior to drafting Jackson. So yea - they were a lot better.

The Bengals had AJ Green and Bernard for a year when Burrow got there (after 6-10 and 2-14).
Their NFL careers basically end after that year.

Two Olinemen were even younger than Burrow; two are no longer there.

That was a young offensive line-up.

Last edited:
The CB who was lined up on Nico is sitting right there. He passes Nico off and is free at that point. If Burkhead runs an out, he's probably running right into that CB's zone. Best thing for Burkhead to do against that zone was what he did. run his curl and sit down in that zone window.
If the CB elects to cover Burkhead, then Smith has to cover Nico?

If your quarterback is in the 2023 draft you get him right then and there. You have 5 picks in the first three rounds, therefore, you can fill those other positions of needs.

1ST
1ST (CLEVELAND)
2ND
3RD
3RD (CLEVELAND)
4TH
5TH
6TH
6TH (GIANTS)
6TH (VIKINGS)
6TH (SAINTS)

I just don't get the warm and fuzzies with this QB class.

Will CJ Stroud be the one to end the Ohio State NFL QB curse? Sure hate to be the team that has to roll the dice.

Bryce Young is a short QB coming into a stand tall in the pocket offense.....not a good match for a RD1 QB.

Levis has the physical gifts, but so did Ryan Leaf. Levi tosses too many INT’s for my liking. Is this due to bad reads or being too cocky with his arm? Just not a RD1 QB in my book.

Last edited:
The Bengals had AJ Green and Bernard for a year when Burrow got there (after 6-10 and 2-14).
Their NFL careers basically end after that year.

Two Olinemen were even younger than Burrow; two are no longer there.

That was a young offensive line-up.

That’s part of the point. Bernard was there but so was Joe Mixon. AJ Green was there, and then Mixon and Burrow get hurt so then they draft Chase - a WR1. Then they go to Super Bowl. The RBs weren’t rookies. Burrow had a history with Chase.

They had RB and WR for Burrow. They lacked an OL. Burrow’s game play compensated for that. Burrow had 10 games and a national championship for the following year with Chase.

The Texans have a tenured Rex Burkhead and an aging Brandon Cooks.

My opinion, which could be wrong, is let’s get a solid crew around the next QB we draft so he doesn’t end up sacked too many times like DC or being so badly beat up that the QB needs 60+ massages like DW.

What was their record before Jackson took over that season? Cincy was bad back to back year before they got Burrow. How you think they got Burrow in the 1st place. Do you remember who he was throwing to before Chase? Nobody said Tyler Boyd or Tee Higgins were #1 wr's. We're not even going to talk about the oline and that mess that's still a mess. You can't even evaluate Nico because Mills won't even let the play develop.

Back