Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Williams 0 0 0 0

He's going to have a lot of problems from the Fans because of the pressure I meant which is the same thing Mario has to go through now.

I am not saying don't bash the guy. I am just saying don't label him as bust until his time is up. It may not be this season, it may not be the next, but any season he can explode and all these hard times may be well worth the wait IF he does.
If a high first round draft pick DE has not "shown" up in the first year 2006, has not shown up so far this year and has not exploded in your 3 year scenario, to me, he is a bust. I do not see anyone calling for Mario to be a pro bowler this year, just earn your salary ($3million). I do not care if it is preseason. In fact, he should be doing quite well as defense is always ahead of offense this time of year. He looked lost to me.

Actually Russell was inconsistant for most of his college career, he did have a great second half last year year including a great bowl game. But that is the way it is coming out of college, all you have to do is produce one year and your labled a stud.
I probably watched every single LSU game last year (I probably watch as much SEC football as I do the NFL) and I'll put my eye for talent up with anyone's here. I can't see how anyone would question his talent after watching him play...I mean, after all he was the first overall pick in the draft and I was talking about him way before most of you guys even heard of him.

I've always been the eternal optimist. I see the glass as half full, you see it as half empty. I prefer my method, less stress. Glad to see you have a good memory, but you failed to mention I ate that crow publicly. You remember to do the same LOL

so you see the Mario glass as half-full? whatever man. you can call it eternal optimism but I call it blind stupidity and a distinct detachment from reality. Mario is not a bust yet but I have to seriously consider that its a distinct possibility. My point is that the same people that blindly homered for Carr despite mountains of contrary evidence seem to be the same people who are blindly homering for Mario. A player has to actually show something for me to start homering for him. With some of you it seems like once they put on your team's colors they are instantly HOF and above criticism or critical analysis. Not surprising that its from the same fan base that actually thinks Bagwell is worthy of HOF status and from the same fan base that thought Carr was actually worth a crap.

as for you eating crow, I didn't care about who ate crow when we got rid of our last QB. I just wanted the team to improve....I don't have an agenda or some inner desire for people to admit they were completely wrong and were guilty of being myopic homers.

As for eating crow regarding Mario, nothing would make me happier than Mario actually becoming a decent football player and then eating crow because of it. I just havent seen ANYTHING to believe that eating crow is in my future. To the contrary, it looks like this Mario debacle is only getting worse.

It is kind of funny in a weird way...and sad. But overall he did do a good job in the run game, same as last year.

I am done with discussing and debating on Mario until the season starts. It feels like 6 out of 10 threads are about Mario...

I am not going to debate any further on Mario because frankly I am just tired of discussing him and only him, and then comparing him to RBs, and then bringing up past DEs who've had worse rookie seasons than him, and then bringing up the big plays that he's made last year.

If this team depends that much on Mario than we are doomed. I still feel like that the only reason he is such a hot topic because he was picked over God himself and the second coming. But i'll leave it at that.

so you see the Mario glass as half-full? whatever man. you can call it eternal optimism but I call it blind stupidity and a distinct detachment from reality. Mario is not a bust yet but I have to seriously consider that its a distinct possibility. My point is that the same people that blindly homered for Carr despite mountains of contrary evidence seem to be the same people who are blindly homering for Mario. A player has to actually show something for me to start homering for him. With some of you it seems like once they put on your team's colors they are instantly HOF and above criticism or critical analysis. Not surprising that its from the same fan base that actually thinks Bagwell is worthy of HOF status and from the same fan base that thought Carr was actually worth a crap.

as for you eating crow, I didn't care about who ate crow when we got rid of our last QB. I just wanted the team to improve....I don't have an agenda or some inner desire for people to admit they were completely wrong and were guilty of being myopic homers.

As for eating crow regarding Mario, nothing would make me happier than Mario actually becoming a decent football player and then eating crow because of it. I just havent seen ANYTHING to believe that eating crow is in my future. To the contrary, it looks like this Mario debacle is only getting worse.

People could say the same thing to all of us about being Texans fans the last 5 years. You say tomato i say toma-toe.

I am done with discussing and debating on Mario until the season starts. It feels like 6 out of 10 threads are about Mario...

I am not going to debate any further on Mario because frankly I am just tired of discussing him and only him, and then comparing him to RBs, and then bringing up past DEs who've had worse rookie seasons than him, and then bringing up the big plays that he's made last year.

If this team depends that much on Mario than we are doomed. I still feel like that the only reason he is such a hot topic because he was picked over God himself and the second coming. But i'll leave it at that.

I don't know why you're dragging me into your debate with xtru. I have no dog in the fight except Mario. But he's not playing as I expect him to, and he doesn't look better than last year. If we can't get any kind of pass rush, then, yeah, we are kind of doomed.

I probably watched every single LSU game last year (I probably watch as much SEC football as I do the NFL) and I'll put my eye for talent up with anyone's here. I can't see how anyone would question his talent after watching him play...I mean, after all he was the first overall pick in the draft and I was talking about him way before most of you guys even heard of him.

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic here or not. Honestly, I can't tell.

Do not get me wrong I think J Russell was the best QB coming out last year. But like with a lot of other QBs, he is not a pure passer and there are a few things he will need to work on to become a probowl player. I was not saying he was not worth the pick but to say he played 3 great years at LSU would be incorrect is all.

I don't know why you're dragging me into your debate with xtru. I have no dog in the fight except Mario. But he's not playing as I expect him to, and he doesn't look better than last year. If we can't get any kind of pass rush, then, yeah, we are kind of doomed.

I am not trying to drag you into anything. You just made a point that I kinda agreed on and I wanted to say what I said.

I have no problem with what Tru is saying. I have a problem with fans that feel that Mario is a bust and keep constantly brining up the draft. Some people act like your rookie season is going to repeat itself for the rest of your career or something. Some people have a agenda and I feel like they secretly want Mario to fail for their reasons, if any Texan fan wants that than they are not a fan.

I truly understand the disappointment. At the same time I understand moving to another level of play is not as easy as we may think. But I am not going to debate on him no more until the season starts and I get a better idea of how he's improved if he has.

A great defensive end in the NFL gets 1 sack every 3 games, face it, DE's are not flashy, they are in the trenches, moving bodies and changing angles more than anything, but it has effect on others, thats why they are there, not to get .3 sacks a game.

the worst part is, our fans our so superficial they will cheer Mario on when he gets a sack but forget it about it the next game. Sorry but Mario is not Reggie Bush, he is not gonna have highlight reel performances game after game.

the worst part is, our fans our so superficial they will cheer Mario on when he gets a sack but forget it about it the next game. Sorry but Mario is not Reggie Bush, he is not gonna have highlight reel performances game after game.
our fans aren't superficial...I run a few message boards around the league and I'd say we have a pretty mature group if you want the truth. You just overreact to the fringe...you always have. I remember you brow beating me in game threads when I didn't like Carr's performances.

so you see the Mario glass as half-full? whatever man. you can call it eternal optimism but I call it blind stupidity and a distinct detachment from reality. Mario is not a bust yet but I have to seriously consider that its a distinct possibility.

Lets not make it personal. I respect your opinion, and to call me stupid because my opinion differs from yours is wrong :)

so have you watched the games so far? have you seen Mario this year? anyone who would be pleased or even satisifed thus far would be a prime candidate for a full frontal lobe lobotomy.

Sorry but Mario is not Reggie Bush, he is not gonna have highlight reel performances game after game.

Oh yeah Reggie "Jesus in Cleats" Bush. He (Reggie Bush) is not much what of he is destined to be either. How many highlight reel performance games has he had? ZERO. How many highlight performances plays has he had? A few; Punt return for TD and the mocking of Brian Urlacher before the Bears stomped them. Nothing else comes to mind for he who is faster than the wind...

First of all, let me say that I do NOT think Mario had a good night.

I did re-watch the first half a few times (Texans defense only) and Mario should have received at least 2 tackles. I know, nothing great, but he did get in on some plays.

Based on what I saw, I truly think that Mario is holding back until the first regular season game.... I hope... :hides:

If this continues into the regular season.... :gun: :jk:

BTW, if this has already been posted, sorry! No way that I am going to read through all this bs! :texflag:

First of all, let me say that I do NOT think Mario had a good night.

I did re-watch the first half a few times (Texans defense only) and Mario should have received at least 2 tackles. I know, nothing great, but he did get in on some plays.

Based on what I saw, I truly think that Mario is holding back until the first regular season game.... I hope... :hides:

If this continues into the regular season.... :gun: :jk:

BTW, if this has already been posted, sorry! No way that I am going to read through all this bs! :texflag:

pretty much everyone shares the same opinion whether they are being critical of Mario's play or displaying patience in regards to his play. If it persists into the regular season even the most stalwart Mario believer will begin to reassess their original assessment.

Why is Mario at the top of our Texans Talk banner? Shouldn't it be our best performer? I would say that once he has 10 sacks this year then give him some time atop the banner, but until then how about the player showing the greatest qualities that we Texans fans adore... like Jacoby Jones?
What do you guys think? Who should be atop the Texans Talk banner?!

Why is Mario at the top of our Texans Talk banner? Shouldn't it be our best performer? I would say that once he has 10 sacks this year then give him some time atop the banner, but until then how about the player showing the greatest qualities that we Texans fans adore... like Jacoby Jones?

I think this deserves its own thread.

you mean the Jacoby Jones who has yet to take a real snap in a regular season game huh?

I think it should be either AJ or Demeco.
the banner was made deep in the offseason....no reason to think he would be disappointing in his first couple of preseason games. I think we should wait till the regular season before we get all knee jerk with the banner...it's one thing to discuss it, but it's another thing to let the preseason discussion turn into chicken little syndrome with our visuals. There are quite a few players that would "deserve" to be on the banner....it's just a great shot of Mario...who is supposed to be one of our main cogs this year.

That's cool about JJ, I understand. But you're speculating on Mario so why not speculate on someone who has done some amazing things so far as a Texan? I agree Demeco or Andre or anyone but Mario, until he proves his worth to be on top! Just my 2 cents.

tis really just a matter of preference...

you say tomato, I say tomato...:joker:

Is it really a preference thing? :um:

Right side means the right side.

The strong or weak side can change depending on the offensive formation. I have no doubt that you know this, too.

You have stated that they are playing Mario as a strong side DE, when in fact, he's been playing RDE in spite of the offensive formation. Mario is not moving around the D-line because of strong or weak sides.

That's not really a preference as much as iiwii. :victory:

Is it really a preference thing? :um:

Right side means the right side.

The strong or weak side can change depending on the offensive formation. I have no doubt that you know this, too.

You have stated that they are playing Mario as a strong side DE, when in fact, he's been playing RDE in spite of the offensive formation. Mario is not moving around the D-line because of strong or weak sides.

That's not really a preference as much as iiwii. :victory:

No....

I offered an opinion as to why Mario was lined up on the left side in that video....And that is when I was argued down about how DE's don't switch with the the strength....Well yes they do...They may not be doing that with Mario, but some of them do....

When I say it's a matter of preference, I'm talking about how an individual chooses to refer to the DE positions, and how teams choose to play the players...

If they are leaving mario on the Right side no matter what...so be it...

No....

I offered an opinion as to why Mario was lined up on the left side in that video....And that is when I was argued down about how DE's don't switch with the the strength....Well yes they do...They may not be doing that with Mario, but some of them do....

When I say it's a matter of preference, I'm talking about how an individual chooses to refer to the DE positions, and how teams choose to play the players...

If they are leaving mario on the Right side no matter what...so be it...

That's cool, man...you know I've got to yank your chain every once in awhile. :shades:

....it's just a great shot of Mario...who is supposed to be one of our main cogs this year.

Yeah it looks like he saying, "Hey Demeco there goes another one, go tackle him for me while I cash another check from Mr. McNair."

Some years there are some really good coaches available to be an assistant. Last year wasn't the bestest year to pick.

I also forgot to mention Ron Rivera. He became available during the offseason, but I guess Kubiak wasn't going to abandon Smith after just one season.

Is that what your co-workers are saying right now while your on a message board.

Nice shot (A+ for effort), but I was on the message board last night after work. I just want Mario to step it up, I think that's all we ask as fans. Do I think he will eventually become a good player, sure. I just want to see him earn what he has been GIVEN ($$$, respect,etc.) because up to this point I don't think he has earned it all of it. By the way this post was made at home after work as well.

Let's go Mario, sack the Cowqueen "Romo the homo" that will shut us up for a little while.

:fans:

I wish I got off in time to be home by three..

I guess that's one advantage I have by not living or working in Houston, rush hour traffic and all the other pains involved. It would be nice to be closer though so I could actually catch a live game once in a while.

Bump for happy and ridiculous thoughts.

Great game for our DE who is just a workout warrior. Who takes plays off. Who has no heart. Who we made a mistake on. Who brings this organization shame. Who makes no around him better.

To quote an idiotic Chefs fan - "lol, eat BBQ Crow, lol, lol"

Today is a great day to be a Texan. :texflag:

Great game for our DE who is just a workout warrior. Who takes plays off. Who has no heart. Who we made a mistake on. Who brings this organization shame. Who makes no around him better.

Excellent bump.

I was expecting one of these threads to get bumped. Mario showed up big yesterday.

I was doubting the guy this preseason, but I'm glad he proved me wrong. Best tasting crow I've ever ate.

PLEASE PEOPLE - 1 game does not make things different, he is a selfish player !! Didn't you see him hold that ball after the TD...Add a ball hog to the list now !! :d:

DSC_0647.JPG

Mario's play has picked up ever since the Dallas game. Before that game happened he acknowledged that his play was not up to his own standard. In the Dallas game the coaches moved him around a bit more and he also said that he tried a new approach.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I've mantained that he was a good ball player. Really happy for Mario, and even though I like both VY and RB it feels really good to see Mario coming into his own while both of those guys struggled this first week.

Doesn't it set you up for a good week when your team wins on Sunday ?!:fans:

Apple...is that you? Some people are going to eat a lot of crow this year.

One game though, but like I said. You can't expect stats from a DE in the preseason when they play 10-15 snaps, Kubiak said that had he played a full game after game 1 that the stats would indicate he played well...

So lets go back here...the Cowboys game he opened some eyes and he played 3 qtrs that game and most felt he should have had 3 sacks that game... This game he plays the full game and what do we get...well 2 sacks, 5 tackles, and a fumble recovery taken to the Hizzouse.

Also 5 tackles is a good game, this guy was stopping the run and a sack is always a drive killer.

So what am I getting at...well nothing really, he played well in the games WE wanted him to play well in so far. The Cowboy game and Week 1...

Back