Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Williams 0 0 0 0

anyone else notice demeco hurdle mario after the td

I did. I also want points for calling the Andre touchdown..i pointed out the lapse in coverage literally 5 seconds before the play

i was jumping around and screaming like a lunatic when mario ran that fumble back.

Vouch for that. Absolute insanity. I will also confess that i didn't think the play would stand. From where i was sitting it didn't look like a fumble.

Bump for happy and ridiculous thoughts.

Great game for our DE who is just a workout warrior. Who takes plays off. Who has no heart. Who we made a mistake on. Who brings this organization shame. Who makes no around him better.

To quote an idiotic Chefs fan - "lol, eat BBQ Crow, lol, lol"

Today is a great day to be a Texan. :texflag:

You're living in the past, maaaaaaaan. This thread is so last week. :victory:

Mario played a great game...perhaps a break out game. It doesn't mean he didn't deserve the critique that was fair. The key word is "fair". Some of the stuff he got wasn't fair though.....good for Mario and I hope he keeps it up....mainly cause if we are going to be a good team, Mario is going to have to be a part of that equation. If you guys notice...when our top players play to their potential we win games. When they don't, we don't tend to win games.

Mario is still very young & it takes time to impact from the defensive line with all the double teams & experienced smart offensive lineman studying ways to nullify him week after week. Had the chance to see him play @ the field level, he just towers over everyone, you really don't understand just how big & imposing a figure he is until you see him first hand.

He is the leader of this defense his teammates look to him for inspiration. when he does something good it just electrifys the rest of them & usually results in something good like a turnover. I expect the ratio of giveaways to takeaways to be a huge factor for the Texans this season & Mario will be the primary reason as to why :mario:

Apple...is that you? Some people are going to eat a lot of crow this year.
One game though, but like I said. You can't expect stats from a DE in the preseason when they play 10-15 snaps, Kubiak said that had he played a full game after game 1 that the stats would indicate he played well...

So lets go back here...the Cowboys game he opened some eyes and he played 3 qtrs that game and most felt he should have had 3 sacks that game... This game he plays the full game and what do we get...well 2 sacks, 5 tackles, and a fumble recovery taken to the Hizzouse.

Also 5 tackles is a good game, this guy was stopping the run and a sack is always a drive killer.

So what am I getting at...well nothing really, he played well in the games WE wanted him to play well in so far. The Cowboy game and Week 1...

HAHA exactly and point on. Yes it was one game and there is no way he is going to have that kind of game every week, but as long as he getting pressure on the QB then I will be extremely happy.

I hope no one takes this the wrong way but this board is psycho at times. Keeping a happy medium would be nice. I mean the guy had trouble last year and a tough pre-season. He had a nice game yesterday but one of his sacks was flushed right to him. I think the interior of the line made the difference that let him get to some plays. It was a positive step but until I see consistency I think people need to level out their emotions. Man its a rollercoaster here.

I'm here to eat some crow (one game's worth) and am happy to do it.

Mario had a fabulous game. The return for the TD was the least of what I was pleased about. His sacks (some set up by the rush of fellow D-linemen), but more importantly his consistent pressure and ability to command more respect from the O-line blocking scheme as the game went on were extremely encouraging.

He was around the ball and in the backfield on lots of plays, he was pretty good against the run, and started to be a presence that the O had to account for.

I wasn't worked up about his lack of presence on the stat sheet early, I was worked up about his inability to give trouble to the tackle opposite him, so I have to say the stats are nice this week, but I'm hoping he'll continue the trend and start to be a disruptive force that must be accounted for in the opponents prep. That's why he's paid the big scratch.

Kudos to him and a little crow for me...I like some salt with mine.

Go Texans

Mario had a solid performance as did the rest of the DL. Kudos to Mario for being a part of some big plays by the defense. He also had a few QB hurries and really seemed to play well on 3rd Down which is when it counts.

He got beat due to experience early but didn't let it get him down. He turned it all around and it seemed to snowball. The fans really got behind him too and showed him some love once he started showing some production.

Mario had some great numbers and was johnny on the spot a few times and he deserves major credit. Lets just not forget Travis making some plays and showing big hunger and fire. He seemed to REALLY be into the game and having some fun. If Travis can continue to show his skills and with the steady improvement of Mario and Okoye coupled with the veteran heart of Kalu, we could really start to reap benefits from our DL.

Every Texans fan wants Mario to succeed and now that he looks to be taking the steps necessary in order to do so coupled with Matt's solid play at QB, maybe we can put the whole 2006 draft talk to rest and start talking about the play on the field.

It felt so damn good seeing a capable QB behind center. When he threw the bad pick, I was waiting for him to come back and show his mettle. I think AJ could have done a better job on that play and played DB better. He seemed to slip and was unable to make a play on the ball.

just watched Schaub on ESPN 1st Take and it was nice listening to a guy who is truly professional and a student of the game. After the game Schaub wasn't happy about the offense's performance and that let me know that Schaub isnt content with where we are at. we have a long way to go on offense to be contenders, but the first baby step was taken yesterday.

Way to go Mario
Way to go Matt
Way to go TJ, you rocked the house.

Mario is still very young & it takes time to impact from the defensive line with all the double teams & experienced smart offensive lineman studying ways to nullify him week after week. Had the chance to see him play @ the field level, he just towers over everyone, you really don't understand just how big & imposing a figure he is until you see him first hand.

He is the leader of this defense his teammates look to him for inspiration. when he does something good it just electrifys the rest of them & usually results in something good like a turnover. I expect the ratio of giveaways to takeaways to be a huge factor for the Texans this season & Mario will be the primary reason as to why :mario:

I wouldn't call him the leader of the defense myself. But like someoneelse said he is going to be a main cog in our defensive success. What i liked the most yesterday was seeing how pumped the defense got when they did something good or someone stepped up and madea big play. It looked like from here if someone did something good it made the rest of the defense wanted to step up and make a play as well. I really hope this game is something our young defense can build upon.

I was going ape when the fumble went down and Mario returned it. I think my family thought i was crazy. When they challenged it all i could think of is "hell if they considered Jameel Cook's fumble against the giants one they should this one as well"

I'm also waiting for someone to be benign enough to say ooo wait but mario just got lucky in position for that fumble or something along those lines. I hope mario doesn't rest on his laurels instead this gives him the confidence to go out and dominate every sunday.

and... well i have to say it now while i can. Mario Td's 1 RB 0.

I hope no one takes this the wrong way but this board is psycho at times. Keeping a happy medium would be nice. I mean the guy had trouble last year and a tough pre-season. He had a nice game yesterday but one of his sacks was flushed right to him. I think the interior of the line made the difference that let him get to some plays. It was a positive step but until I see consistency I think people need to level out their emotions. Man its a rollercoaster here.

you mean bipolar, in which case i agree with you.

Mario showed out yesterday, Like his teammates & some of us have been saying, it was just a matter of time & I hope he continues to develop so he can play even faster.

& this may sound funny, but i like how the sacks are coming to him; within the scope of the team/d-line play. It's making it so that other guys are contributing to the pressure & the O-line can't really just focus on him. He doesn't need to dominate he just needs to play within the scope of the scheme & make plays as they come.

8. Mario looks like the No. 1 pick -- finally

After a sssslow rookie season marred by injuries and ineffectiveness, Texans second-year defensive end Mario Williams played like the No. 1-overall pick in the '06 draft Sunday against the Chiefs. Williams had four tackles, one assist, two sacks and a 38-yard fumble return for a touchdown.

That's one more touchdown than the No. 2-overall pick, Saints running back Reggie Bush, mustered in Week 1. Bush's performance against the Colts was a clear disappointment; he moved almost as much side to side has he did north to south in gaining only 45 yards from scrimmage. Williams also outshined Titans quarterback Vince Young, who threw for only 78 yards and rushed for only 22, in Week 1.

Williams' problem is that he must generate eye-grabbing highlights and stats each week to compare favorably to Bush and/or Young. If Williams gets double-teamed (and thus neutralized) but then other players get free to make plays, fans won't realize Williams is responsible for the increased output from others

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=270825

I can understand that point of view as well. In Mario's defense (not like he needs it), in every interview with him he made it a point to let the reporter know it was a group effort. He gave mad props to the remainder of the defense rather than taking all the glory.

IMO, that alone makes me like him even more.:d:

I can understand that point of view as well. In Mario's defense (not like he needs it), in every interview with him he made it a point to let the reporter know it was a group effort. He gave mad props to the remainder of the defense rather than taking all the glory.

yeah, I found that admirable also...some guys would have lashed out at some of the negative stuff directed at him but he was very classy when he was talking about his game yesterday.

Dline is always a group effort, so as long as all 4 guys are getting it done then Mario is doing well.

I am sure though Apple is going to say that Travis Johnson and the DTs led to Mario getting his sack...

On one of those sacks...Mario, Okoye, and TJ were ALL there to get the sack, that is the one where he was just in the right place to get the credit for it...but when all 3 guys are in the backfield...is their much more to ask from them?

Mario has always done a good job handling the media maelstrom that he was thrust into last year. He is a bit of a flatliner but I would rather have that than some guy constantly running smack and 'i told you sos' within an avalanche of ebonics and 2nd grade english.

I agree. I was impressed and I wasn't dogging him at all. I just didn't want to see things where people were thinking he was the best end around one minute and that he couldn't get off a block another week. I'm taking it slow but I think the D stuck with thir assignments and did well with the scheme.

I agree. I was impressed and I wasn't dogging him at all. I just didn't want to see things where people were thinking he was the best end around one minute and that he couldn't get off a block another week. I'm taking it slow but I think the D stuck with thir assignments and did well with the scheme.

Oh, I know you weren't. I also agree with your point. I think a majority of the board understands that he probably won't have those type of games every week. That said, he's still expected to do his share on the Dline.

I like how he mentioned in an interview that he and Maddox pulled that stunt off themselves. He said Maddox told him he wasn't even touched and wasn't sure what to do next so he took a swat at the ball expecting Mario to run it back for a TD. lol

It's great to hear things like that. Working together as a unit sure makes it harder foe the opposing team.:texflag:

I didn't actually get to watch the game since I live in Austin and our CBS affilliate is garbage, but seeing the TD highlight, I was a little sad that Mario didn't continue with the "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".

It'd be a great celebration for the big guy who's going to silence his critics eventually.

I didn't actually get to watch the game since I live in Austin and our CBS affilliate is garbage, but seeing the TD highlight, I was a little sad that Mario didn't continue with the "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".

It'd be a great celebration for the big guy who's going to silence his critics eventually.
perhaps he feels they had a point and is trying hard to live up to his press. Frankly I prefer his classy post-game commentary and letting his actions speak for his game.

perhaps he feels they had a point and is trying hard to live up to his press. Frankly I prefer his classy post-game commentary and letting his actions speak for his game.

I won't argue with that at all. Wins is wins. Good play is good play. Leave it all on the field until next Sunday and repeat.

I told yall he would break out this season!

Would you stop with this already. It's irritating. If he would have had a bad game would you have gone back to the way you were posting in the preseason?

JohnsonFan said:
Quote #1 mario = one of the biggest busts in draft history

Quote #2 i dont know everyone says give him time he will breakout or learn, but how long will we wait? lets hope this is his season.

Quote #3 the memory of us passing on whom we shall not name will always haunt us

Quote #4 not really i am not a VY or RB lover at all, but i do see through all the hype and if u look at mario he is just not performing

I'm sure there are more like this, but I don't really feel like looking for them.

Señor Stan;731694 said:
Would you stop with this already. It's irritating. If he would have had a bad game would you have gone back to the way you were posting in the preseason?

I'm sure there are more like this, but I don't really feel like looking for them.

Ouch.

Señor Stan;731694 said:

Welp, it appears JohnsonFan was caught with his pants down. What a Johnson.:gun:

Señor Stan;731694 said:

:specnatz:hahaha

Another suggestion would be for Mario to invest in some custom fit jerseys. It needs to fit tighter so that the blockers can't grab it so easily. I think he can afford that.
I think Mario did get tighter fitting jerseys.

ab60fd5a-f697-4206-9370-7cd8419b3fd1.jpg

his sack at the end of the game was pretty much worthless to me but he played extremely well all throughout the game. sacks arent what counts. sometimes a hurry is more valuable than a sack and he had more than a few hurries yesterday. kudos to Mario to living up to his potential and helping to put himself in a positive light.

who knows...the guy is borderline ProBowl especially if he can fish a few more sacks before the end of the season

Back