Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

What to do in 1st round?

Out of position for top 3 QB's, what should be 1st round strategy now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
everyone has us taking Elliot I don't think that will happen the Style of Offensive Bob runs I don't think we will ever take a RB in the 1st or even 2nd or 3rd

heck I don't think the Texans have ever took a RB in the 1st

everyone has us taking Elliot I don't think that will happen the Style of Offensive Bob runs I don't think we will ever take a RB in the 1st or even 2nd or 3rd

heck I don't think the Texans have ever took a RB in the 1st

Elliot being there at 22 is about as likely as one of the "top three" QBs being there.

Folks need to quit with mock drafts that don't involve a QB to the Texans in the 1st 2 rounds.

Queue steelb up (not necessarily in opposition) - the McNairs want a QB, patience worn out, it's going to happen. Debate QBs because one's a comin'.
Yes sir! 5 QB's the Texans could be looking at.

I'm getting to the stage where I'm good with whomever the Texans choose to play QB, including Hoyer. I say this because I believe one of two things will happen. The Texans will find the right guy, or OB will be fired (hopefully Smith will be, too).

I don't want to see Hoyer in a Texans uniform ever again, but if OB is prideful and hard headed enough to start him in 2016, there's no way McNair keeps OB around as head coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: ROO
Yes sir! 5 QB's the Texans could be looking at.

I'm getting to the stage where I'm good with whomever the Texans choose to play QB, including Hoyer. I say this because I believe one of two things will happen. The Texans will find the right guy, or OB will be fired (hopefully Smith will be, too).

I don't want to see Hoyer in a Texans uniform ever again, but if OB is prideful and hard headed enough to start him in 2016, there's no way McNair keeps OB around as head coach.

We've already seen what happens when the team falls flat on its ass and firing Rick Smith is not part of that equation.

Im starting to like the Elliot/Jones Combo Maybe they wanna be a physical Run/Zone/Read option team like Carolina with a Strong Def

Cardale didn't run much read option at OSU. He struggled making the read. Most of his runs were designed. They ran RO way more with Barrett.

Also, at 6'1" 225 Cravens doesn't have the size RAC wants from his LB'ers. I've seen him listed as more of a 4-3 OLB than a 3-4 ILB. He might make a good SS in a 3-4, but I don't know about his speed

He's a lot like Deone Bucannon. Box Safety on run downs, Nickel/Dime LB on passing downs. He could be a very useful player to a defense because of his versatility.

That being said, using another 1st on defense would be insane at this point. We need to address the offense. Heavily.

South roster

Offense

Pos # Name School Height Weight
QB 10 Brandon Allen Arkansas 6'2 210
QB 12 Jacoby Brissett North Carolina State 6'4 235
QB 14 Jake Coker Alabama 6'5 232
QB 15 Dak Prescott Mississippi State 6'2 230
RB 17 Kenyan Drake Alabama 6'1 210
RB 22 Aaron Green TCU 5'11 205
RB 31 DeAndre Washington Texas Tech 5'8 200
RB 32 Jonathan Williams Arkansas 6'0 223
FB 40 Dan Vitale Northwestern 6'2 235
WR 3 Sterling Shepard Oklahoma 5'10 191
WR 4 Jay Lee Baylor 6'3 215
WR 9 Charone Peake Clemson 6'2 205
WR 18 K.J. Maye Minnesota 5'10 194
WR 86 Malcolm Mitchell Georgia 6'1 196
WR 88 Paul McRoberts Southeast Missouri State 6'3 197
TE 48 Glenn Gronkowski Kansas State 6'3 234
TE 84 Darion Griswold Arkansas State 6'5 264
TE 89 Jerell Adams South Carolina 6'6 231
OT 58 Spencer Drango Baylor 6'6 310
OT 62 Le'Raven Clark Texas Tech 6'6 307
OT 71 John Theus Georgia 6'6 303
OT 74 Vadal Alexander LSU 6'6 329
OG 55 Cody Whitehair Kansas State 6'4 305
OG 65 Christian Westerman Arizona State 6'4 300
OG 73 Sebastian Tretola Arkansas 6'4 330
C 61 Graham Glasgow Michigan 6'6 303
C 77 Evan Boehm Missouri 6'3 320

and

Coker, who helped Alabama to 16th national championship earlier this month, is one of eight quarterbacks who will participate in next week's 67th Reese's Senior Bowl, which takes place Jan. 30 at Mobile's Ladd-Peebles Stadium. He's joined on the South team by Arkansas' Brandon Allen, North Carolina State's Jacoby Brissett and Mississippi State's Dak Prescott.
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/01/jake_coker_on_senior_bowl_its.html

video of him interviewing at Senior Bowl practice. http://www.buffalobills.com/video/v...ior-Bowl/92df7de6-2f1f-444a-b31d-b47bd0964e5d

Coker, a Mobile native who grew up attending Senior Bowl events, led a pair of first-quarter scoring drives as the South beat the North 27-16 in Saturday's annual all-star game at Ladd-Peebles Stadium. Coker completed just 3 of 8 passes for 24 yards, but left the field with his team holding a 10-0 lead it would never relinquish.

"It was good man, it was good," Coker said. "It's something I've always dreamed of. I'm excited.

"It's been a long week, that's for sure. They kept us busy, but we had some fun and it's time for a day off."

The South led 17-3 at halftime, with Coker and Mississippi State's Dak Prescott each directing a touchdown drive. Coker kept his drive alive with an 8-yard third-down scramble, with TCU's Aaron Green scoring on a 25-yard run to give the South a 7-0 lead with 4:08 left in the first.

Well he didn't get invited to the combine. That's a Pretty good indication of what the pro scouts think of Him.
Coker is UFA camp fodder. See if he can get a second look or impress. If not, get on with life.

I have no doubt he'll make somebodies camp. But anything after that would be a surprise. For his fan(s), this is possible, even though improbable. Sort of like Hoyer making it to April 1.

Last edited:
Also, at 6'1" 225 Cravens doesn't have the size RAC wants from his LB'ers. I've seen him listed as more of a 4-3 OLB than a 3-4 ILB. He might make a good SS in a 3-4, but I don't know about his speed
With the modern equipment available today, there ought to be a way to find out how play speed compares to underwear speed. It's the equivalent of drag racing where the best car doesn't always win due to the driver's inability to anticipate the start and tire spin.

Why draft a Savage-like prospect to learn the "system" when you already have a Savage-like prospect who has two full years in said "system".

You dont, unless you think Savage is injury prone and even then you dont spend a high pick on Coker. I really like Coker but the speed of the game appears to be too much for him. Can the game slow down for Coker? Sure, but it will take atleast 2-3 yrs.

One thing is for sure, Coker has everything you look for in a QB, size, arm, wheels smart,hardworker. The Texans dont have time to wait on a QB like this though. JJ's career is geeting shorter.

Why draft a Savage-like prospect to learn the "system" when you already have a Savage-like prospect who has two full years in said "system".

They're only "comparable" because they lack on field plating time. Their skills, decision making, mechanics are all different. Not only that, they're still two different people.

Tom Savage reminds me of Jay Cutler, but their on field production may be nothing alike. Cutler is weak. He's mentally weak & a poor leader. I don't think Savage is either.

You dont, unless you think Savage is injury prone and even then you dont spend a high pick on Coker. I really like Coker but the speed of the game appears to be too much for him. Can the game slow down for Coker? Sure, but it will take atleast 2-3 yrs.

One thing is for sure, Coker has everything you look for in a QB, size, arm, wheels smart,hardworker. The Texans dont have time to wait on a QB like this though. JJ's career is geeting shorter.
The same thing can be said for draft busts at QB for years. It's a big gamble, and I would rather take that gamble on Savage and I would do what I had to do to get Elliot to replace Foster in the 1st round.

I was kind of getting on the Wentz bandwagon, but listening to the NFL channel, several scouts said that Wentz looked great in practice but that game speed was overwhelming him at the Senior Bowl. This being the Silly Season, it could be all smoke and mirrors, but I'm going to rewatch the game just to get a better idea.

The same thing can be said for draft busts at QB for years. It's a big gamble, and I would rather take that gamble on Savage and I would do what I had to do to get Elliot to replace Foster in the 1st round.

You'd be ok with trading up to get a RB in the first?

If there were a true workhorse type back I'd be open to drafting him if he fell to us, I don't know about trading up to get one though.

I'd much rather find a stud road grader to stick in at RT & finding someone with speed & toughness in rounds 2 or 3.

If there were a true workhorse type back I'd be open to drafting him if he fell to us, I don't know about trading up to get one though.

I'd much rather find a stud road grader to stick in at RT & finding someone with speed & toughness in rounds 2 or 3.

Where would you rank Elliott in the 2017 class?

McCaffery/Cook/Fournette/Chubb etc... This is why I hope Smith picks a tanted but injured RB like Keith Marshall, or a talented but troubled guy with a specific skillset like D'Wayne Washington.

Where would you rank Elliott in the 2017 class?

McCaffery/Cook/Fournette/Chubb etc... This is why I hope Smith picks a tanted but injured RB like Keith Marshall, or a talented but troubled guy with a specific skillset like D'Wayne Washington.

I don't know. Talented but troubled, or talented but injured hasn't worked out very well for Rick. Tends to blow up in his face, then he gets crucified here for taking a shot.

I think Elliot is going to be a special player and I could get a good RT later in the draft. I haven't really looked at that position because I don't think the team thinks the position needs to be upgraded urgently enough to use a day one pick.

We've all seen how effective OB's offense can be with a healthy Foster in the backfield and I think Elliot will be the second coming of a young Foster, minus the head case and fumble-itis issues.

Reactions: ROO
I think Elliot is going to be a special player and I could get a good RT later in the draft. I haven't really looked at that position because I don't think the team thinks the position needs to be upgraded urgently enough to use a day one pick.

We've all seen how effective OB's offense can be with a healthy Foster in the backfield and I think Elliot will be the second coming of a young Foster, minus the head case and fumble-itis issues.
Does he make guys miss in the hole? Its hard to say because much like alot of rbs on talented teams, they dont get resistance until 2nd level.

Does he make guys miss in the hole? Its hard to say because much like alot of rbs on talented teams, they dont get resistance until 2nd level.
That's a legit concern, but considering OSU's problems in the passing game, teams could just about focus purely on Elliot, and he still delivered big time.
He's also got the vision and one cut ability of Foster.

Trade the 2016, 17, 18 First RD picks and Jadeveon Clowney to TENN for the #1 pick to draft Carson Wentz. That is all!

Trade the 2016, 17, 18 First RD picks and Jadeveon Clowney to TENN for the #1 pick to draft Carson Wentz. That is all!

Are you that sure of Wentz, because if you're wrong this franchise is ruined. Everybody knows Smith only picks well in the 1st rd.

Do you think Wentz will be better than Bortles?

Are you that sure of Wentz, because if you're wrong this franchise is ruined. Everybody knows Smith only picks well in the 1st rd.

Do you think Wentz will be better than Bortles?
I am expecting that Bortles will be as good as Roethlisberger and Wentz can be as good as Luck. Regardless, the franchise will continue to wallow in mediocrity until they find a franchise QB.

I am expecting that Bortles will be as good as Roethlisberger and Wentz can be as good as Luck. Regardless, the franchise will continue to wallow in mediocrity until they find a franchise QB.

Are you saying Wentz will be as good as luck because Mayock just came out and said he has a similar ceiling?

Are you saying Wentz will be as good as luck because Mayock just came out and said he has a similar ceiling?
I've been saying Wentz is the #1 QB in this draft since June, see my Wentz thread in the Draft Section. And right now the Texans have a collection of some of the worst QBs in the NFL.

I've been saying Wentz is the #1 QB in this draft since June, see my Wentz thread in the Draft Section. And right now the Texans have a collection of some of the worst QBs in the NFL.

I know how high you've been on Wentz the whole time I'm not questioning that. Just saying I've never seen you compare him to Luck in any of the praises Ive seen you say

The Texans have a chance to mortgage their future.................McClain is reporting that the Titans are looking to trade out of the #1 spot........

Let's pull a,dikta and trade away all 7 picks but that would be low balling them tho lol

The Texans have a chance to mortgage their future.................McClain is reporting that the Titans are looking to trade out of the #1 spot........
If McClain is right for once, trade for that #1 pick and use it to get Wentz or Goff. Don't piss it away on Tunsil or Elliott.

as is our first round picks should be about the same next couple years with movement up or down at three spots or so. I would offer 2016 and 2017 + Clowney for #1

as is our first round picks should be about the same next couple years with movement up or down at three spots or so. I would offer 2016 and 2017 + Clowney for #1

You'll take a $7M cap hit to trade Clowney?

That's valuing Clowney as about the #4 pick in the draft this year. Not realistic.

Kick Hoyer to the curb and save $4.9.
yeah I definitely did not go to trade chart. I think Tenn would like to have Clowney as a starter. #22 (apprx) in next two drafts would bring starters. Would Tenn take my offer? Depends on other offers; but three starters for one ain't too shabby.

yeah I definitely did not go to trade chart. I think Tenn would like to have Clowney as a starter. #22 (apprx) in next two drafts would bring starters. Would Tenn take my offer? Depends on other offers; but three starters for one ain't too shabby.

Hey if they can swing it, great.

I'm really dubious QBs go 1 and 2. Not going to be at all surprised if TN gets hung in the same position as the Texans and ends up not trading down so takes another position. Cleveland takes Goff who was recruited by their OC and then the real trade machinations begin over Wentz. And to swim counter to the stream, I'd pick up the phone and talk to Dallas - they need more than 1 guy and an excuse not to take a QB. Pick up Wentz and roll.

Hey if they can swing it, great.

I'm really dubious QBs go 1 and 2. Not going to be at all surprised if TN gets hung in the same position as the Texans and ends up not trading down so takes another position. Cleveland takes Goff who was recruited by their OC and then the real trade machinations begin over Wentz. And to swim counter to the stream, I'd pick up the phone and talk to Dallas - they need more than 1 guy and an excuse not to take a QB. Pick up Wentz and roll.
I see value in that but Dallas may go other position also and go QB in second round. I like that thinking.

I see value in that but Dallas may go other position also and go QB in second round. I like that thinking.

Lots of value in them having 3 picks in the 1st 53 picks. Seriously that's 3 likely starters for a team wanting to make a fast turnaround.

I hope the Tacks make it too expensive for an in division rival!!

Unless there's just one guy you're looking at that you're afraid Cleveland might grab, I wouldn't bother trying to get up to #1. I don't see anybody in the top 10 that I think would be willing to burn that high of a pick on a QB. SD should start looking for Rivers replacement but do they spend the #3 to do that? I don't think they do. Same with Dallas. I wouldn't think they spend the 4th pick in the draft on a QB even with Romo's injury concerns. Might take one in the 2nd (SD too) but I'm not sure they'd take the shot at #4.

With SF announcing they're keeping Kap and Gabbert, I don't see anyone else needing to burn a 1st on QB until maybe Philly at 13?

I absolutely think the Texans need to do what they can to move up to take a shot at getting their franchise QB, because they remain in mediocreland until they do. I just don't think they have to pay the mother load and go all the way to #1 to do it. They could trade up to 6, 10, even 12, and still have a shot at Goff, Wentz, whoever the top QBs are that Cleveland doesn't take.

Back