Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What to do in 1st round?

Out of position for top 3 QB's, what should be 1st round strategy now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If Doctson is there you pick him. He's the weapon that would make this offense very dangerous. If I was in charge I would pick Doctson and trade beck into the bottom of the 1st or top of the 2nd for the best OT if a guy like Spriggs/Conklin fall.
Good to see others talking about Docston; at 6'2 he ran a 4.5 at combine which shocked many there; reminds me of how Strong did the same last year. I am trying to decide how to get him and Peake, two LTs (Murphy and Haeg) a DT/NT like Ridgeway or DJ Reader pure Nose or both.

1. WR Docston
2. LT Kyle Murphy
3. LT Joe Haeg
4. NT/DE/DT Hassan Ridgeway: could replace Crick 2015 and then Wilfork 2016.
5a WR Charone Peake
5b DE Matt Judson 6'3" 275 4.73 33 7/8 arms, 2015: 81 Ts with 23.5 for loss of which 20 were sacks, 3 FF. 2014: 72 Ts, 19 for loss & 8.5 sacks
6. Safety Trae Elson who has cleaned up off field issues with nothing last season

* I think we could trade down a few spots in first and get same list but maybe an extra third for Rb Collins who is dropping since combine.

I have to disagree a little. Most see this a a defensive heavy draft for defense. I'd say get the BPA regardless of which side of the ball they're on. We need a good NT, a DE, ILB and a safety and perhaps CB if Strong doesn't get the message to avoid "friends" like those who threw him under the bus.
Curious as to why you think friends threw him under the bus? He immediately said the joints were his.

For all you guys who keep saying we should draft an OL with our first round pick, I have a question for you. Who does this pick replace in the lineup?

For all you guys who keep saying we should draft an OL with our first round pick, I have a question for you. Who does this pick replace in the lineup?

Well since nobody knows if DB can make it back and Newton stinks dont you think that making an investment in the OL would be a smart thing to do? Depth never hurts even if everybody plays better than they did last yr. BTW, the OL stunk last yr with a healthy Brown. Yep OL should be a very high priority.

Reactions: JB
Well since nobody knows if DB can make it back and Newton stinks dont you think that making an investment in the OL would be a smart thing to do? Depth never hurts even if everybody plays better than they did last yr. BTW, the OL stunk last yr with a healthy Brown. Yep OL should be a very high priority.

Of course an investment in the OL would be a good idea. But you don't use you first round pick on insurance.

In FA, we got QB and RB along with two OL that could help our O. I agree steelb. We still need OL especially T position badly. If not, BPA.

There's every possibility that DB's injury could take a year to recover from. If that's the case, we're probably going with Clark and Newton as our tackles. OB and Smith might be comfy with that, or they may have information on DB's recovery that makes it a moot point, but I'd personally like to find someone to take Newton's place at the very least, and possibly be DB's successor at best.

? If that's the best player available, sure.
I guarantee you a center will not be anywhere close to BPA. If browns injury is going to cause him to miss time then yeh that's fine. If we're replacing Newton then fine.

I don't see Newton being replaced and I have heard nothing that makes me think Brown wont be back.

I think you guys are going to be upset for nothing when we go WR ot DL in the first round.

I guarantee you a center will not be anywhere close to BPA. If browns injury is going to cause him to miss time then yeh that's fine. If we're replacing Newton then fine.

I don't see Newton being replaced and I have heard nothing that makes me think Brown wont be back.

1. I never said a center would be the bpa, but if he is, we should take him. I expect to pick up a starter at C in the middle rounds.

2. CnD said that this sort of injury isn't very common in the NFL and that we shouldn't expect him to be back for about a YEAR, iirc. If that's true, and I'm not saying that it is, then we shouldn't expect DB back this season.

I think you guys are going to be upset for nothing when we go WR ot DL in the first round.

Why would you think someone would be upset if we go WR or DL in the first round? I'm all in on Doctson at 22 if he's there, and there are several DL I'd like to get there if they're available.

OTOH, if the best player available is an olineman then I'm not going to rule him out just because he might not start. That's why I was perfectly fine with drafting K-Jo last year and why my choice 2 years ago wasn't Clowney, but Watkins. If you really draft BPA, then you don't worry about drafting a player at a position at which you have strength, because crap happens.

I'm not married to drafting any position and I'm not going to be upset with whatever position they draft, as long as they don't draft a guy I think they could have gotten several rounds later.

So you want to use the first round pick on a center or an OT that will be a backup?

I'm not so sure Bergstrom will start and no one knows if Brown will make it back. According to CnD it's 50-50

I'm not so sure Bergstrom will start and no one knows if Brown will make it back. According to CnD it's 50-50
My gut feeling is that Brown will never be the same, but who am I to contradict CnD on sports medicine?

Agreed, but the point is that the OL stunk last yr and needs to be upgraded badly.

We were rushing for a hundred yards a game the second half of the season & any QB not named Hoyer had time to work.

I agree with the need to upgrade, but I wouldn't say they sucked.

I think Clark will start at left tackle; he was signed to a very reasonable contract and if he is moved to backup, there should be no frown at his money. As I think he will start most if not all season, I prefer to get a LT in day two that will be able to start no later than 2017 as he adapts to NFL. As I've posted, Murphy, Haeg and Drango should fit the bill. If Brown can start, Clark & rookie just solidify the line. Also with our new QB, we need to make sure he has a line, a RB and receivers to improve his chance of survival and success. TEs are not the way to go in this draft plus no move was made in free agency (at lease as of now) to improve so either OBrien believes what he has is enough or that he will lean on WRs/RBs as he did last season.

Most agree what are the priority holes to fill and if things fall right as it did on day one of free agency, we will smile..a lot this season. The positive for me is that we should do fairly well if we have to go with roster as is. Each pick of the draft should not only improve this season but onward. OT/DL/WR in any order will be good; of course like you, I do have my guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: ROO
I hope the Texans go OT, NT or trade back in the 1st for an extra 2nd round pick. Spriggs at OT, Billings or Clark at NT would be great additions.

I wouldn't expect Brown back from his injury until later in the year from what I've read. We can get out of the Newton contract next year if we find a replacement. Considering OT in the 1st round is warranted based on those two things alone. Brown may also never fully recover. He's also 31 in August, so 32 by start of next season. We need to be proactive about filling important pieces.

If a safety was valued at 22, it would be a good investment. We basically have one year wonder Hal and nobody back there.
I would agree with this, but unfortunately, I'm not seeing much worthy of a 1st round pick. Maybe a 2nd?

Heck, look at the 1st few games with Moore at S. It was an abomination until he was yanked. So yes, it'd be nice to finally find a good safety. There were high hopes for Ballentine, but he kept getting hurt

Given the depth of certain positions this year I'm going with DT, WR or OL

If a safety was valued at 22, it would be a good investment. We basically have one year wonder Hal and nobody back there.

Karl Joseph might have been a 1st rounder but is coming off an ACL injury. Joseph, Darian Thompson, and Jalen Mills would all be in play for me with that 2nd rounder.

I love Thompson. If he's available at our pick in the 2nd round (unlikely) then I would absolutely snatch him up.

I know this isn't a 1st round question, but would anyone have a problem drafting Jaylon Smith in the 4th or later? CnD, good doctor, what's your opinion on his recovery?

Karl Joseph might have been a 1st rounder but is coming off an ACL injury. Joseph, Darian Thompson, and Jalen Mills would all be in play for me with that 2nd rounder.

I love Thompson. If he's available at our pick in the 2nd round (unlikely) then I would absolutely snatch him up.

What about Cravens in the second for a hybrid safety/LB? Doesn't he have pretty good coverage skills and RAC wants safeties that can play run or pass?

Cravens is a Mark Barron type LB. I wouldn't draft him to play Safety.
Disagree somewhat. Cravens can cover alot better than Barron. He's a hybrid type which is what this new matchup nfl is about now. Cravens can give the texans the type of matchup guy they've needed forever.

Think we should go OT now. Perhaps we can trade back and pick up an extra 2nd rounder. Offensive line is still a big ? To me.
We can't trade back. We're too far down in the order to attract a trading partner. We might trade our 1st for multiple 2nd-and-later picks, but I for one wouldn't wanna.

OT or WR, Offensive line is a big question mark. Derek Newton is mediocre at best, Duane Brown is hurt and getting long in the tooth, and quietly since that turf toe injury. not the same guy. Need to go O-line early and often and try to get some speed on offense at the skill positions.

We can't trade back. We're too far down in the order to attract a trading partner. We might trade our 1st for multiple 2nd-and-later picks, but I for one wouldn't wanna.

Teams have traded lower first round picks for even lower first round picks before... and I wouldn't mind trading our first for a mid level second and a first next year

shouldn't we reset the poll to reflect the newest acquisitions?
folks might vote differently now.

Reactions: ROO
Denver is only team I see that might trade for 22 to get a QB; unless it is much better offer than I would expect, I would keep 22 & select Docston.

I think at safety we will see more playing time for Drummond. Not only did he sign a three year deal as UDFA showing Texans thought enough to control him for that long, he was very well thought of pre-draft by many including this MB. I don't recall anyone stating he would last beyond third round let alone fall out of draft. I did not want him in the rounds he was talked about but I believe he will develop especially in this defense.

I would be mildly surprised if Quentin Demps and Jared Crick are not in Texans uniform this season. I think Smith is allowing them to test waters for their value after decent seasons.

I don't think Ragland is a first round value nor do we need to draft that position before day three..if then

Back