Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What is Watson's value in a trade?

amazing80

Hall of Fame
He's good at using the passive aggressive approach to spreading lies.

BTW, it's really funny when I answered his question very dierctly about if Corrosion was calling him a liar that post got removed. i'm assuming Corrosion removed it which makes this even more hilarious.
wow lol did I strike a nerve? Looks like I am living rent-free in your head. You a little salty your boy Tanne got lit up putting up 0 points in 3 quarters?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It's ok little buddy, your Titans will bounce back next season. You could always put the Oilers reruns on to make you feel good.
You obviously dont know me if you think I could ever root for anything Bud Adams or his family owned/owns. The Oilers/Titans died the minute the moving vans moved the Oilers out of Houston. See: here's something maybe you can try to figure out in your dad's basement, I root for all teams that call the city of Houston home. The players dont really matter to me. Exceptions to this rule, Rockets Olajuwon/Drexler/Horry/Mad Max/Ellie/Cassell. AsCorrea.tros: CFM/Altuve/Bregs/Springer/Correa. Oilers Earl/Brazile/Bethea/Culp/Leon Gray/Matthews/Munchak.

Notice a trend? HOF'ers or champions.

mussop

Hall of Fame
I disagree. As someone closer to Watson's age, I understand him somewhat. Businesses and corporations do a poor job of really making employees' opinions feel validated. I think Watson is professional enough to understand the decision, but you need to take his input into consideration. Having the process high jacked by a guy who isn't important to the team's success and completely alienating your star is a recipe for disaster.
Watson hasn’t done **** to deserve input on management positions. Cal said the other day that he tried to call Watson but he didn’t answer. Whether it’s true or not Watson right now is hurting our ability to hire a new coach with this tantrum. He didn’t get what he wanted, something he doesn’t deserve anyway. Boo hoo! Either let it go now or he can GTFO! Trade him and do a complete rebuild. We would probably be better off in the long run if we loaded up on picks and tanked for a couple of years trading All those picks for future ones.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Watson hasn’t done **** to deserve input on management positions. Cal said the other day that he tried to call Watson but he didn’t answer. Whether it’s true or not Watson right now is hurting our ability to hire a new coach with this tantrum. He didn’t get what he wanted, something he doesn’t deserve anyway. Boo hoo! Either let it go now or he can GTFO! Trade him and do a complete rebuild. We would probably be better off in the long run if we loaded up on picks and tanked for a couple of years trading All those picks for future ones.
Again I’ll reserve judgement till we hear from the man himself but if the reports are true I’m on board with this.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Again I’ll reserve judgement till we hear from the man himself but if the reports are true I’m on board with this.
Oh totally agree. I want to hear him say it before I'll believe it But the more time that passes and he doesn’t defuse this the more it’s going to hurt this team. If two weeks go by and he hast said anything and coaches we like are turning us down then what do we do? This needs to end now and Watsons the only one that can end it. He needs to be given a deadline. If he doesn’t accept it’s time to move on.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Oh totally agree. I want to hear him say it before I'll believe it But the more time that passes and he doesn’t defuse this the more it’s going to hurt this team. If two weeks go by and he hast said anything and coaches we like are turning us down then what do we do? This needs to end now and Watsons the only one that can end it. He needs to be given a deadline. If he doesn’t accept it’s time to move on.
We could always bring back the greatest HC and GM in NFL history. Who knows without him having to carry Watson he might can show how great he truly is. :kitten: :troll:

Texansballer74

The Marine
The thing is gentlemen, there’s a very strong chance you won’t hear it from the horses mouth. Example: the Houston Rockets and James Harden situation at the start of their season. When Harden finally did do a presser, he never answered any of the tough questions. Like did you request to be traded? Are you unhappy in the direction the Rockets are going?

Watson agent will more and likely tell Watson to don’t answer those type of questions.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I just woke up from a nap so have not searched for this on any thread but Andre Johnson tweeted for Deshaun Watson to hold Fast for a trade. It was retweeted by DeAndre Hopkins.

Andre shouldn’t have said that crap. You’re in the Texans HOF, they paid him his just do, then brought him back as a coach.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Andre shouldn’t have said that crap. You’re in the Texans HOF, they paid him his just do, then brought him back as a coach.
Players stick together. I believe he was speaking not only to Watson but also for those players that are in that locker room that can't speak for themselves without potentially damaging their reputation as team players (thus making them less attractive to other teams later on in their career) and/or tarnishing their legacy.

And maybe Andre knows more about the behind the scenes stuff going on right now in that organization than we do. I highly suspect he does. We're only left to speculate.

Getting a qualified head coach in here that can get this team turned around quickly may now be impossible.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I call it shade and for what.
I don’t know, but for a guy like him to speak up like that speaks volumes.

If Easterby wasn’t so joined at the hip of OB like he was, none of us probably would have ever known who he was. But that happened and it was disastrous. That was bad enough. Now you damn near have a player and personnel revolt against this guy. WTF is going on with that? Something that isn’t good if mild mannered Andre Johnson is speaking up about it.

Decim8

Veteran
And for what. He should've called like he saw it when he last employed here. Why the F you're saying skit now. Weak move period
Maybe cause jack easterby weren't there when he last played? AJ barely speaks ill about anyone but the fact that he does now is very telling of jack

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
And for what. He should've called like he saw it when he last employed here. Why the F you're saying skit now. Weak move period
Maybe he thought things could get better. Maybe he hadn't heard of the level of locker room frustration. Maybe this is right now much worse than when he was last employed here.

There are lots of reasons.

Why are you so sideways that he's speaking up for something he sees as hurting the organization?

Sonny

TexSon Proud
This may have been brought up and if so I apologize and I'm probably a few days late chiming in anyway (clearly I don't read all the posts) but I did just see the 'undisputed' talk show with Shannon Sharpe and Skip Bayless and they we're saying Watson could fetch up to four or five first round picks.

Hmmmm.. of course, the reason being for that is Watson's a proven product but Jesus Henry Christ.. I'd be super tempted to accept that deal.

Sonny

TexSon Proud
And then there was also the caveat of would you trade Watson straight up for whomever has the first pick and take Trevor Lawrence?

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Do you know how hard it is to find a true top tier franchise QB? The Bills have been looking for one since Jim Kelly. They may have finally found one in Allen, we'll see. Dolphins have been searching since Marino, Jets since probably Namath, Browns since...Brian Sipe? Otto Graham? The Packers went over 2 decades after Starr before they hit on Favre. The Falcons have practically gone their entire existence looking for that QB before Ryan. The Saints entire existence before Brees. The jury is still out on Goff, but the Rams haven't had jack since Warner. How long will the search be for the Patriots now that Brady is gone?

These guys don't grow on trees, no matter how promising the prospects are every year. Just look at the ton of 1st round busts the last decade. Haskins, Rosen, Winston, Mariota, Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, Manuel, RG3, Weeden, Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, Tebow, with the jury still out on Tua, Love, Jones, Mayfield, Darnold, Trubisky, and Murray too for that matter.

You’re not going to trade Watson, even if it’s for a Herschel Walker type return, and think you’re just going to find a replacement for Watson like it’s nothing. Yeah, you might get lucky like the Colts did with Luck or the Packers did with Rodgers, but for the most part, it doesn’t work out that way. Let’s see how long it takes the Colts and Steelers to find another top tier QB. How long has Washington been looking for one, since Theismann?

It took the Texans 16 years to get one. And when they do, some people are creaming themselves over the ******* drafts picks they could get for him? Really? Yes, I get this is all hypothetical, but still. It seems like a total waste to even entertain it. I don't trade Watson under any circumstances. Unless he just goes total ass and throws 20 picks next year cause he's mad, but I've never seen one ounce of indication that he's like that.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Well, just to prove a point of how stupid "sources" are I made it up. I have no source and nothing I said about the situation is factual. See how easy that is? No proof, but people read it and took it at face value. How ridiculous is that?
Well I guess that says a lot about you! Fake having a source Just for kicks or a gotcha is really disappointing. Several of us from here post almost daily from sources we trust and also post information from other sources just for discussion purposes.

Although I disagree with much of what you say I respected you as a person with integrity. You sir are just a gossip.

badboy

Hall of Fame
And then there was also the caveat of would you trade Watson straight up for whomever has the first pick and take Trevor Lawrence?
No. As I posted somewhere couple of days ago Watson has greater value than any of the top three quarterbacks available in this year's draft and also greater than Tua tagovailoa. My post also was in response to Jacksonville bringing in former Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer going with Ohio State quarterback Justin fields with 1.1.

Trading Watson to Jets for a picnic basket of draft picks plus perhaps quinnen Williams and Mechi Benton only to have TL fall to 1.2 would have me seriously considering that Houston football history head suddenly taking a miraculous turning point.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Do you know how hard it is to find a true top tier franchise QB? The Bills have been looking for one since Jim Kelly. They may have finally found one in Allen, we'll see. Dolphins have been searching since Marino, Jets since probably Namath, Browns since...Brian Sipe? Otto Graham? The Packers went over 2 decades after Starr before they hit on Favre. The Falcons have practically gone their entire existence looking for that QB before Ryan. The Saints entire existence before Brees. The jury is still out on Goff, but the Rams haven't had jack since Warner. How long will the search be for the Patriots now that Brady is gone?

These guys don't grow on trees, no matter how promising the prospects are every year. Just look at the ton of 1st round busts the last decade. Haskins, Rosen, Winston, Mariota, Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, Manuel, RG3, Weeden, Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, Tebow, with the jury still out on Tua, Love, Jones, Mayfield, Darnold, Trubisky, and Murray too for that matter.

You’re not going to trade Watson, even if it’s for a Herschel Walker type return, and think you’re just going to find a replacement for Watson like it’s nothing. Yeah, you might get lucky like the Colts did with Luck or the Packers did with Rodgers, but for the most part, it doesn’t work out that way. Let’s see how long it takes the Colts and Steelers to find another top tier QB. How long has Washington been looking for one, since Theismann?

It took the Texans 16 years to get one. And when they do, some people are creaming themselves over the ******* drafts picks they could get for him? Really? Yes, I get this is all hypothetical, but still. It seems like a total waste to even entertain it. I don't trade Watson under any circumstances. Unless he just goes total ass and throws 20 picks next year cause he's mad, but I've never seen one ounce of indication that he's like that.
True but you could have 1.2 and poss Trevor Lawrence or Zach Wilson and other vet starters and/or draft picks to find your Watson or you would have your first pick Round 1 minimum possibly more by trade to find your Watson in 2022. Some of us are willing to accept getting a quarterback who may not be DeShaun Watson in 2021 that could be him in two to three years. The focus for many of us I believe is franchise top 5 if you will DeShaun Watson and what appears to be our roster and salary cap limitation for the rest of his contract at least does not bode well for the future of the Houston Texans. Swapping Watson for several other starters Plus freeing up cap space to bring in possible other high-value low-cost free agents could put us closer to the Super Bowl.

Simply said, DeShaun Watson by himself We know is not getting us to the Super Bowl.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

All well and good but again the question comes up what good is having a franchise QB if it doesn’t bring a championship. It’s easier to win a SB with one than without but if you are locked down by big money contracts, which we are and will be if nothing changes, then yes you have something for the highlight reels but nothing long term.

I’m not saying trade Watson but having a franchise QB just so you can say we have a franchise QB is like owning a Lamborghini that you drive 5 minutes to work everyday. Nice to look at and talk about but ultimately a waste of time and money.

Sonny

TexSon Proud

What everyone is failing to realize or simply overlooking is that like Hopkins, Watson may no longer want to 'play' for The Texans and if that is indeed the case, as it has been rumored, then it could absolutely be the perfect storm to pull that trigger and move away/forward and as great and proven as Watson seems to be.. mark my words; Trevor Lawrence, by all predictive accounts, will prove to not only be worth it but will rewrite everything.

JMO

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
You don't trade a franchise QB but you do if he becomes a cancer.

Well, the Patriots infestation is the cancer. It's just spread and now infected everything.

Because that what it does.

That's what I've been saying for 7 ******* years now.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I’ve become fine with the Caserio hire. I went back and read more than a few articles to become better acquainted with Caserio. I understand why he made it 20 years with NE during one of the most consistently successful runs in NFL history. Sure, I wanted Dorsey but I’m good with what Caserio brings to the table. Hopefully it’s how to keep an organization together for 20+ years and delivering winning seasons.

As for Easterby, I believe Caserio will have no problem letting him know his position and the lines he won’t be allowed to cross. At some point Easterby has to know that Caserio and his HC will sit down with players and hear exactly what they have to say. Even Caserio knows the Texans can ill afford to have players mentally checking out on the team over Easterby. I believe Easterby did himself in when he involved himself in getting the team to dump Hopkins. Same could be said in how the team perceived his involvement in OB being fired. I’m fine with the OB firing but I’d be pissed if it took Easterby to make it happen versus Cal acting like his sack was full of something other than gina fluid and firing OB b/c he failed the Texans.

I believe Easterby will be out before the 2021 season starts.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Players stick together. I believe he was speaking not only to Watson but also for those players that are in that locker room that can't speak for themselves without potentially damaging their reputation as team players (thus making them less attractive to other teams later on in their career) and/or tarnishing their legacy.

And maybe Andre knows more about the behind the scenes stuff going on right now in that organization than we do. I highly suspect he does. We're only left to speculate.

Getting a qualified head coach in here that can get this team turned around quickly may now be impossible.
There are 7 head coach positions available. The Texans job is #7. The only thing the Texans job has to offer is Deshuan Watson and he doesn't even want to be here.

Last edited:

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Simply said, DeShaun Watson by himself We know is not getting us to the Super Bowl.
No QB by himself is winning a Super Bowl.

All well and good but again the question comes up what good is having a franchise QB if it doesn’t bring a championship. It’s easier to win a SB with one than without but if you are locked down by big money contracts, which we are and will be if nothing changes, then yes you have something for the highlight reels but nothing long term.

I’m not saying trade Watson but having a franchise QB just so you can say we have a franchise QB is like owning a Lamborghini that you drive 5 minutes to work everyday. Nice to look at and talk about but ultimately a waste of time and money.
It’s not the franchise QBs fault that the team can’t build around him. And it really doesn’t take much.

The Bills have been crap for 20 years. The second they get their possible franchise QB, they’re relevant in January all of a sudden. Their run game is average, o-line, defense, all average. Unlike the Texans who are near league worst in the run game, o-line, defense. Just an average defense alone the Texans probably win 7, 8 games. Give him a run game that isn’t 2 yards and a cloud of dust, an o-line that doesn’t have him scrambling before he finishes his drop back, might get you another 3, 4 wins.

No, a Lamborghini doesn’t get it done by itself, but having a team full of Gremlins and Pacers littering the road so that Lamborghini can’t navigate, will get you a 4-12 season. Get more Buicks and Jeeps out there that can hold there own, maybe an Mercedes or two on each side of the ball, then watch where that Lamborghini takes you.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
As for Easterby, I believe Caserio will have no problem letting him know his position and the lines he won’t be allowed to cross.
This is a McNair issue. An issue I believe the McNair in question has never negotiated well. He backed Kubiak for a while, then backed Smith for a while, then backed O'Brien for a little while... & now it looks like he's backing Easterby. I'm ok, & would prefer he backs Caserio from here on out... but we'll see.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
No QB by himself is winning a Super Bowl.

It’s not the franchise QBs fault that the team can’t build around him. And it really doesn’t take much.

The Bills have been crap for 20 years. The second they get their possible franchise QB, they’re relevant in January all of a sudden. Their run game is average, o-line, defense, all average. Unlike the Texans who are near league worst in the run game, o-line, defense. Just an average defense alone the Texans probably win 7, 8 games. Give him a run game that isn’t 2 yards and a cloud of dust, an o-line that doesn’t have him scrambling before he finishes his drop back, might get you another 3, 4 wins.

No, a Lamborghini doesn’t get it done by itself, but having a team full of Gremlins and Pacers littering the road so that Lamborghini can’t navigate, will get you a 4-12 season. Get more Buicks and Jeeps out there that can hold there own, maybe an Mercedes or two on each side of the ball, then watch where that Lamborghini takes you.
Overall I agree with you and no it is not Watson's fault that the team is where it is, even his big money contract is not his "fault" because he would have been stupid to not take the money, I know I would have. Now looking at the Texans in particular though we are where we are and lots of mistakes have been made but you can't change the past. So with that in mind we have no draft picks in 21 till the third round, we are in cap hell with players that would be backups on most teams, we have handed out big money contracts like they were candy and the first couple of years we can actually make major changes draft wise the heaviest years of Watson contract will hit and Tunsil's contract will be in full swing. I think someone posted those 2 alone are 30% of the, projected, cap one year.

So yes having a franchise QB is great and yes in a normal situation it wouldn't take much to shore a team up. We are far from normal.

Last edited:

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
The Texans have had 2 above average QBs in 2 decades and people expect an unproven GM to come in and find a franchise QB. Very tall order.

His mentor has struggled to find a decent replacement for TB12, we’ll see how the protege performs if this trade happens.
His mentor had his heir in place till the owner overruled him and at that point he knew that they would have QB problems. Even then Cam was about the best F/A you could hope for at the QB position. A former MVP who was looking decent before there was a regime change on his last team who had time to heal up. All this in a year that they had more opt outs and facility closes than any other team. I realize we are all ready drive a stake through the heart and then bury the boogie man that is the Patriots but lets not think the beast is dead yet.

Sonny

TexSon Proud
To be clear.. I'm only saying ship Watson if you can guarantee Trevor Lawrence will take the helm.. not on a swing and a prayer.
Of course, that doesn't change the fact that if Watson doesn't want to be here, not only could he hold out/sit or become a cancer (although I think that's highly unlikely) then what's the point of keeping him?
It's exactly why OB shipped Hopkins and looked like an ass for not getting shyt for him. It wasn't because he wanted to look like an ass.. he had no power to negotiate. OB wanted him out as Hopkins wanted out and everyone knew it. Alas.. a QB's value (especially that of Watson) is far greater than a wide receiver; even Deandre.
Watson's wealth as a bargaining chip is undeniable to other teams and therein lies the ability to make something long-lastingly fruitful and worthwhile.. especially with Trevor.
Just sayin'.. if that's the storm we're in.. it could be perfect.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I am 1000% against trading Watson, no matter how bad he wants it (if it ever comes to that)

BUT, because you all think I am a bum for not partaking in such discussions, here goes

IF I were to trade Watson, it would not be for an unknown like Lawrence. I would get the most I could for him with an immediate trade lined up for a proven QB in this league, like Stafford, Ryan, Rivers, Ben, etc. Someone who has a few years left, but will need to be replaced. We need a solid veteran who can right this ship, not be in a position to throw a rookie to the wolves. And sorry but McCarron ain't it.

I would want the world in return. The Dolphins gave up 2 firsts and a 3rd plus a QB for him. Watson is a significantly better buy at this stage than Cutler was. Redskins traded 2 firsts to jump up to grab RG3.

I would want 3 1st rounders (which includes a top 10 pick this season) and a 2nd in the same year plus a defensive player that can make an impact right away. I would have to include one bad contract for that team to take on as well. Again, I would only do this if I had a veteran QB lined up.

There is an outside chance I would take Darnold, but I would still want 3 1st rounders and the 2nd rounder, plus Jets take the bad contract. I would want both this year's 1st rounder and the 2nd rounder, plus next year's 1st, Darnold, and I have no idea who on defense I would take, but someone who could make an impact for us, hopefully, LB or CB.

I would not love these options, but feel like it would be adequate compensation. I still feel like there is no replacing your 24-year-old franchise QB. It is absurd to me. Let's assume we waste the next 3-4 years rebuilding, the guy is still only 27-28, with a decade or more left in the tank. Why would you throw that away hoping you catch lightning in a bottle again with a rookie? That makes no logical sense.