Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What is Watson's value in a trade?

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
What everyone is failing to realize or simply overlooking is that like Hopkins, Watson may no longer want to 'play' for The Texans and if that is indeed the case, as it has been rumored, then it could absolutely be the perfect storm to pull that trigger and move away/forward and as great and proven as Watson seems to be.. mark my words; Trevor Lawrence, by all predictive accounts, will prove to not only be worth it but will rewrite everything.

JMO

Watson's under contract .... the rules have changed in the last CBA , holding out is pretty futile. He can not get paid if that's what he choses , he can be on the hook for signing bonus money .... Or he can show up and play.

As for Trevor Lawrence - The Jags have 1:1 and they aint sending us that pick. They'll take Lawrence for better or worse.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I’ve become fine with the Caserio hire. I went back and read more than a few articles to become better acquainted with Caserio. I understand why he made it 20 years with NE during one of the most consistently successful runs in NFL history. Sure, I wanted Dorsey but I’m good with what Caserio brings to the table. Hopefully it’s how to keep an organization together for 20+ years and delivering winning seasons.

As for Easterby, I believe Caserio will have no problem letting him know his position and the lines he won’t be allowed to cross. At some point Easterby has to know that Caserio and his HC will sit down with players and hear exactly what they have to say. Even Caserio knows the Texans can ill afford to have players mentally checking out on the team over Easterby. I believe Easterby did himself in when he involved himself in getting the team to dump Hopkins. Same could be said in how the team perceived his involvement in OB being fired. I’m fine with the OB firing but I’d be pissed if it took Easterby to make it happen versus Cal acting like his sack was full of something other than gina fluid and firing OB b/c he failed the Texans.

I believe Easterby will be out before the 2021 season starts.

Easterby had nothing at all to do with getting rid of DHop. That one's on Janice McNair.

As for the rest of this post , I pretty much agree with everything here.

I believe Easterby will be gone sooner than later , he's just not worth the trouble he's causing & ownership was totally oblivious to him being an issue. What I think is they'll quietly sweep him out the door before the season starts without saying much of anything about it.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
The Texans have had 2 above average QBs in 2 decades and people expect an unproven GM to come in and find a franchise QB. Very tall order.

His mentor has struggled to find a decent replacement for TB12, we’ll see how the protege performs if this trade happens.

To be fair Belichick has had one whole offseason to replace Brady .... give him a minute or two.

Sonny

TexSon Proud
All actions have repercussions, Mr C. I was just spitballing at different ways Watson could make the Texans' organization uncomfortable.

I'm also aware that we probably won't get Trevor and said posts were likely a waste of my time and probably moot but as I tried to make clear... It would be a nice possiblity to have to navigate/negotiate.

IMO if given the choice or opportunity.. I pull the trigger on shipping Watson for guaranteed Lawrence and a couple high-end picks.. but that's just me.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I am 1000% against trading Watson, no matter how bad he wants it (if it ever comes to that)

BUT, because you all think I am a bum for not partaking in such discussions, here goes

IF I were to trade Watson, it would not be for an unknown like Lawrence. I would get the most I could for him with an immediate trade lined up for a proven QB in this league, like Stafford, Ryan, Rivers, Ben, etc. Someone who has a few years left, but will need to be replaced. We need a solid veteran who can right this ship, not be in a position to throw a rookie to the wolves. And sorry but McCarron ain't it.

I would want the world in return. The Dolphins gave up 2 firsts and a 3rd plus a QB for him. Watson is a significantly better buy at this stage than Cutler was. Redskins traded 2 firsts to jump up to grab RG3.

I would want 3 1st rounders (which includes a top 10 pick this season) and a 2nd in the same year plus a defensive player that can make an impact right away. I would have to include one bad contract for that team to take on as well. Again, I would only do this if I had a veteran QB lined up.

There is an outside chance I would take Darnold, but I would still want 3 1st rounders and the 2nd rounder, plus Jets take the bad contract. I would want both this year's 1st rounder and the 2nd rounder, plus next year's 1st, Darnold, and I have no idea who on defense I would take, but someone who could make an impact for us, hopefully, LB or CB.

I would not love these options, but feel like it would be adequate compensation. I still feel like there is no replacing your 24-year-old franchise QB. It is absurd to me. Let's assume we waste the next 3-4 years rebuilding, the guy is still only 27-28, with a decade or more left in the tank. Why would you throw that away hoping you catch lightning in a bottle again with a rookie? That makes no logical sense.
I enjoyed the read and I do not think you are a bum.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Cal McNair says he has exchanged texts with DeShaun Watson

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Probably not newsworthy but I bet we could trade nothing for Von Miller and then cut him before season begins saving 18 million dollars...
Wouldn't that just be 18 off miller's contract? How would that save us additional cap and would that be worth the picks to acquire him?

Im not following you - sorry (could be my adult refreshments are the problem.)

Texian

Hall of Fame

Cal McNair says he has exchanged texts with DeShaun Watson
Why in the hell isn't Cal sitting down with Caserio and Deshaun at the nicest steakhouse in Houston instead of texting????.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Wouldn't that just be 18 off miller's contract? How would that save us additional cap and would that be worth the picks to acquire him?

Im not following you - sorry (could be my adult refreshments are the problem.)
supposed to be sarcasm..his current team could cut him for savings.

badboy

Hall of Fame
If posted I have missed it on Ronnie Baker signs about E.

He had some extended family in the area, but he was mostly going to deliver a message via two large banners. One read: “Jack Easterby Chaplain or Charlatan.” The other: “Jack Easterby Is A Snake FIRE HIM.”
Meanwhile, the fan base became more agitated. The #FireJackEasterby hashtag showed up frequently on social media and inspired one fan to design a T-shirt and mask with the slogan. Baker, and his signs, were also at NRG Stadium for the Week 16 home loss to the lowly Bengals. He displayed them pregame and security descended on him; he wouldn’t hand over the signs, but he agreed, as he always did, to put them away during the game.
When Baker left to get a beer at halftime he asked Ashley Reidy, a friend and fellow Texans fan, to watch his banner while he was gone. Their seats are directly across the field from the McNair’s box, and Reidy says that, as soon as Baker got up, security descended again.
“They asked if they could see my banner, and I said, ‘You can not. It’s not mine,’ ” she says.
Reidy is a Houston native whose father was a season-ticket holder for the Oilers; she has owned Texans season tickets since 2003, the franchise’s second season. And, through a family connection, she’s an acquaintance of Hannah McNair. They followed each other on Instagram.
She suspected Hannah had asked security to confiscate Baker’s banners when he got up, though her theory drew more of an eye roll when she told her husband. But Monday morning, Reidy had a direct message from Hannah’s now-deleted Instagram account: “I saw y’all on Sunday. Do you feel proud of yourself and your new friends? Y’all have zero basis for your charades. Easy to act that way when you know nothing.” And then she saw she had been blocked. (A Texans spokesperson did not respond to questions about Hannah’s Instagram account or any interactions she had with fans through social media.)

badboy

Hall of Fame
Did he say that? F. Source?
Instead, the answer came Friday in a report from the Houston Chronicle. “No,” McNair told the newspaper, when asked whether he would fire Easterby, adding that he did not believe he would resign. The article said that while Caserio will oversee roster-building, Easterby will handle other football operations, including “strength and rehab, medical, nutrition—anything involving the non-business side of the operation.” McNair called the scrutiny on Easterby “unjustified” and put on himself any franchise missteps.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I'm not in favor of trading Watson, just came across an article, in which Steve Young says he's willing to give up three first rounders.

I dont want to trade him. I want these azzclowns to fix the problem. Trouble is, we might be to far gone. It took us 16 years to find him but maybe the damage can't be undone.

If it comes to that, if we have to trade him, they better get a king's ransom.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I dont want to trade him. I want these azzclowns to fix the problem. Trouble is, we might be to far gone. It took us 16 years to find him but maybe the damage can't be undone.

If it comes to that, if we have to trade him, they better get a king's ransom.
Steve Young went on to say that "you cannot loose a generational talent" and more:

Texaninlild

Veteran
Easterby had nothing at all to do with getting rid of DHop. That one's on Janice McNair.

As for the rest of this post , I pretty much agree with everything here.

I believe Easterby will be gone sooner than later , he's just not worth the trouble he's causing & ownership was totally oblivious to him being an issue. What I think is they'll quietly sweep him out the door before the season starts without saying much of anything about it.
Actually the SI article pointed directly at Easterby for the Hopkins trade.