Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What is Watson's value in a trade?

But it makes sense to remain in an untenable situation with a disgruntled player, whom.. and I'm just spitballing here.. will not continue to give the same effort you're hoping for if he's unhappy and alone, up to and including his late 30s.?!?.
BTW.. just because Brady and Brees are still slinging (pocket guys mind you.. not scramblers throwing caution to the wind) is the standard life expectancy of a qb late 30s now? I'd bet the under, Mr. 80.
Talk about assumptions. lol
I'd rather take a chance with a brand new kid with an even greater perceived upside and all or most of our picks back.

Hell.. Reminds me of the movie Draft Day with Kevin Costner.
How cool would it be for life to imitate art?

Last edited:
Miami has the draft picks that interests me but not any players with the exception of possible defensive player of the year cornerback Xavier Howard. 27 under contract four years at good $ although he is very unhappy with Shane. 10 interceptions and 20 passes defended this season. Part of that because he played opposite of Byron Jones and he will not have that playing across from Roby.

If Watson goes I guess I am leading towards the Jets with a passel of picks. I am concerned about Mekhi Becton's shoulder-chest injury Also quinnen Williams neck-concussion injury; he was seen vomiting coming off the field is a concern but due to their age and contract status I would gladly receive them.

Miami has the draft picks that interests me but not any players with the exception of possible defensive player of the year cornerback Xavier Howard. 27 under contract four years at good $ although he is very unhappy with Shane. 10 interceptions and 20 passes defended this season. Part of that because he played opposite of Byron Jones and he will not have that playing across from Roby.

If Watson goes I guess I am leading towards the Jets with a passel of picks. I am concerned about Mekhi Becton's shoulder-chest injury Also quinnen Williams neck-concussion injury; he was seen vomiting coming off the field is a concern but due to their age and contract status I would gladly receive them.
Jets have (2) 1st rd picks in 2021 and 2022 which I would gladly take in place of any players.

I'd rather take a chance with a brand new kid with an even greater perceived upside and all or most of our picks back.
LMAO. Greater perceived upside means they haven’t done ****. You’d rather have that than an already established top 5-ish QB? Glad the Texans aren’t hiring you. I’ve listed all the 1st round dud QBs the last decade somewhere around here. And that’s just QBs. No telling how many dud WRs, OL, CBs, etc.

Draft picks are a gamble. They don’t mean **** other than they give you cheap labor to help keep your cap in order, with the hope that at least a couple of your 5-9 picks every year turn out to be hits. Because I don’t know if you’ve noticed or not, but rarely do half the players a team drafts, never mind all of them, turn out to be impactful players in this league.

Jacksonville has been drafting top 5 or so for a decade and look where it’s gotten them. Cleveland for damn near 2 decades and only now does it look like they might be getting their **** together. We’ll see what Miami does. They may have a ton of picks but expecting even half of them to be solid contributors is asking a lot. And that includes swinging and missing on one or all of their 1st rounders.

You go ahead and dump a stud QB that teams like the Bills, Jets, Dolphins, Browns, Jaguars, Redskins, have been looking for for 10, 20 years or more. That teams like the Steelers, Colts and Patriots will find themselves looking for again for no telling how long. I’ll go ahead and keep the one we’ve got for as long as possible, unproven perceived upside be damned.

I kick myself for pandering to **edited by moderator** like yourself especially when they're patting themselves on the back with their super profound statement of the day exclaiming the obvious all the while ignoring the points of reasoning behind my statements.

Let me ask you this question Mr Wizard..
What have we won with Watson? You'd rather hang on to this Top 5 guy without a supporting cast so he can continue to do nothing but hey, at least Speedy approves.. and after all, his wish and opinion is all that matters. (insert childish all caps LMAO to show my disdain for your intelligence)

Once again, since you clearly don't read my stuff very well, if all things we're equal and he WANTED to play here and we had any NEAR FUTURE help coming to join him, obviously I'd rather stick with him BUT if we are going to waste him for years attempting a rebuild (without high-end picks) just so we can sit back and question whether or not we should of orrr perhaps what if we thought outside the box and made different moves because after the fact is a waste of time. By my count we haven't done shyt (per your verbage) lately or ever and will continue to remain shytless following your prophetic direction but then again, who knows, as you're right.. I'm not a GM.
What team do you work for?

Last edited by a moderator:

“I think they change his diapers, OK?” Vermeil says of how the Texans should handle the situation going forward with Watson. “Nowhere in his contract does it say that he’s involved in making the decisions of who coaches or who leads the organization. ... He’s a great NFL football player and always has been a great kid, but I think he just shuts his mouth and becomes a better football player and lead the football team and let the leaders of the organization lead him.”

LMAO. Greater perceived upside means they haven’t done ****. You’d rather have that than an already established top 5-ish QB? Glad the Texans aren’t hiring you. I’ve listed all the 1st round dud QBs the last decade somewhere around here. And that’s just QBs. No telling how many dud WRs, OL, CBs, etc.

Draft picks are a gamble. They don’t mean **** other than they give you cheap labor to help keep your cap in order, with the hope that at least a couple of your 5-9 picks every year turn out to be hits. Because I don’t know if you’ve noticed or not, but rarely do half the players a team drafts, never mind all of them, turn out to be impactful players in this league.

Jacksonville has been drafting top 5 or so for a decade and look where it’s gotten them. Cleveland for damn near 2 decades and only now does it look like they might be getting their **** together. We’ll see what Miami does. They may have a ton of picks but expecting even half of them to be solid contributors is asking a lot. And that includes swinging and missing on one or all of their 1st rounders.

You go ahead and dump a stud QB that teams like the Bills, Jets, Dolphins, Browns, Jaguars, Redskins, have been looking for for 10, 20 years or more. That teams like the Steelers, Colts and Patriots will find themselves looking for again for no telling how long. I’ll go ahead and keep the one we’ve got for as long as possible, unproven perceived upside be damned.

26 yrs say you can't win with DW4

The scenario you are laying out says they can't win by trading DW4

The Texans are doomed

This post was deleted by moderators

Nice diatribe, instead of this crap, why don't you counter his rebuttal to your post.

The point Sonny is trying to make is yes he's surrounded by crap and there's going to be no way to surround him with better due to lack of draft capital, followed in 2 yrs lack of cap space.

Last edited by a moderator:

“I think they change his diapers, OK?” Vermeil says of how the Texans should handle the situation going forward with Watson. “Nowhere in his contract does it say that he’s involved in making the decisions of who coaches or who leads the organization. ... He’s a great NFL football player and always has been a great kid, but I think he just shuts his mouth and becomes a better football player and lead the football team and let the leaders of the organization lead him.”
I bet you ask any old school coach and they would say the exact same thing. I'm not surprised by this criticism.

Nice diatribe, instead of this crap, why don't you counter his rebuttal to your post.

The point Sonny is trying to make is yes he's surrounded by crap and there's going to be no way to surround him with better due to lack of draft capital, followed in 2 yrs lack of cap space.

Last time we didn't have a 1st or a 2nd, we got Jordan Reid, Martinas Rankins, Keke Coutee, Jordan Akins, & Jordan Thomas

Jets have (2) 1st rd picks in 2021 and 2022 which I would gladly take in place of any players.
Part 1 of what I think could benefit Texan is Jags just hired Urban Meyer. As I have stated I think the former Ohio State coach would be very interested in bringing Justin Fields into Florida. Houston having access to Trevor warrant or Zach Wilson at number two would be only increased value.

Step 2 would be the Jets hiring Eric B. Would Bieniemy be more open to Watson then either of those two QB at 2? All sorts of possibilities open up.

Stop it. If anything, 26 years says they'll be renegotiating his contract soon.

Yep, you could say the same thing about every other QB that's signed a big contract. Guess why Brees/Rodgers/Wilson etc... haven't won a SB?

This is just an uncomfortable truth that WOF (You're not one of these) dont want to admit.

Part 1 of what I think could benefit Texan is Jags just hired Urban Meyer. As I have stated I think the former Ohio State coach would be very interested in bringing Justin Fields into Florida. Houston having access to Trevor warrant or Zach Wilson at number two would be only increased value.

Step 2 would be the Jets hiring Eric B. Would Bieniemy be more open to Watson then either of those two QB at 2? All sorts of possibilities open up.
After watching several Justin Field videos I just can't see it. If Fields had that much promise Georgia would have never let him leave. Fields accuracy and his locking on to one receiver is very disappointing. The Championship game told me all I needed to know about Fields. IMO I think Urban and Lawrence are a LOCK. The reason I started with the Jets is because they offer the best value.

Last time we didn't have a 1st or a 2nd, we got Jordan Reid, Martinas Rankins, Keke Coutee, Jordan Akins, & Jordan Thomas

A solid draft but they went 4-12 with those guys.

But history has repeated itself. When RS traded those picks DW4/Os, he left the OL in tatters. When BOB traded for Tunsil he left the defense in tatters. History repeated itself. Kind of like Carr/DW4 history (lack of OL) repeated itself.

Last edited:

Lawrence is a lock. IMHO

Meyer wouldn't have taken the job without 1-1.

I am 1000% against trading Watson, no matter how bad he wants it (if it ever comes to that)

BUT, because you all think I am a bum for not partaking in such discussions, here goes

IF I were to trade Watson, it would not be for an unknown like Lawrence. I would get the most I could for him with an immediate trade lined up for a proven QB in this league, like Stafford, Ryan, Rivers, Ben, etc. Someone who has a few years left, but will need to be replaced. We need a solid veteran who can right this ship, not be in a position to throw a rookie to the wolves. And sorry but McCarron ain't it.

I would want the world in return. The Dolphins gave up 2 firsts and a 3rd plus a QB for him. Watson is a significantly better buy at this stage than Cutler was. Redskins traded 2 firsts to jump up to grab RG3.

I would want 3 1st rounders (which includes a top 10 pick this season) and a 2nd in the same year plus a defensive player that can make an impact right away. I would have to include one bad contract for that team to take on as well. Again, I would only do this if I had a veteran QB lined up.

There is an outside chance I would take Darnold, but I would still want 3 1st rounders and the 2nd rounder, plus Jets take the bad contract. I would want both this year's 1st rounder and the 2nd rounder, plus next year's 1st, Darnold, and I have no idea who on defense I would take, but someone who could make an impact for us, hopefully, LB or CB.

I would not love these options, but feel like it would be adequate compensation. I still feel like there is no replacing your 24-year-old franchise QB. It is absurd to me. Let's assume we waste the next 3-4 years rebuilding, the guy is still only 27-28, with a decade or more left in the tank. Why would you throw that away hoping you catch lightning in a bottle again with a rookie? That makes no logical sense.

I'll play along....check with Washington. I think they'd be all in on Watson as their new QB. I'm asking for Chase Young for starters.....then I'd expect nothing less than RD1 picks in 21, 22, 23, and a RD2 pick in 2022. I could live a return like this.

Miami must have some talent, they finished the season 10-6. Even with good to great coaching I hardly doubt the Dolphins would have had their best season in many years without talent. Not only that, but they did so with inconsitency at Qb.

4-12 isn't moving the goalposts.

It is moving the goal post. I responded to your comment that the Texans can't add talent around DW4 because of a lack of draft picks. I responded they were able to add a lot of talent to the team the last time they were missing the 1st & 2nd round picks.

It's fact, just like the 26 yrs thing is an uncomfortable truth for some.
It's not uncomfortable to me. I know how the nfl works & what they do with these big money years. If they feel they're close, they'll find a way to reduce his cap hit & bring in talent. If we are where we think we'll be in two years, that most likely won't be the case, so they'll do the smart thing & eat it that year.

I don't agree with Vermeil. DW4 is the face of the franchise and he should at least be kept abreast of what ever decisions the team makes. I don't think he should hold the team hostage or have final say but they should at least take his opinions into consideration and if they agree with his take on things that is all the better. If not than of coarse DW4 should go along. I just think that it's wise to let your best players get involved and possibly go along with some of their choices in regards to the coaching staff. Especially when it comes to the offense and your star Qb. I can see DW4 being concerned about seeing his career slip away and the team never getting even close to a Super Bowl. It is good to see that DW4 cares and is not simply happy becoming a very rich man!

Last edited:
4-12 isn't moving the goalposts.

It's fact, just like the 26 yrs thing is an uncomfortable truth for some.
Sorry. I've lost track. Too many narratives gets posted on this forum. What the heck is the 26 yrs thing? How long it will take Cal to lose his neck fat or how long it will take before you post a link or how long before Easterby builds his mega church on Kirby? Uninquiring minds want to know.

Last edited:
Sorry. I've lost track. Too many narratives gets posted on this forum. What the heck is the 26 yrs thing?

26 yrs of QBs that haven't won a SB when they take up more than 13.2 percent of the cap.

You're aware of this quite being coy.

It is moving the goal post. I responded to your comment that the Texans can't add talent around DW4 because of a lack of draft picks. I responded they were able to add a lot of talent to the team the last time they were missing the 1st & 2nd round picks.

It's not uncomfortable to me. I know how the nfl works & what they do with these big money years. If they feel they're close, they'll find a way to reduce his cap hit & bring in talent. If we are where we think we'll be in two years, that most likely won't be the case, so they'll do the smart thing & eat it that year.

They weren't able to add enough talent to avoid 4-12 is my point.

Maybe what you describe will happen but history says it won't.

I guess I should take Vermeil's word on this. If anyone knows anything about being a crybaby, it is definitely Vermeil. That man cries whether the steak comes out cooked to his liking or not. Probably cried while giving his opinion on Watson.

After watching several Justin Field videos I just can't see it. If Fields had that much promise Georgia would have never let him leave. Fields accuracy and his locking on to one receiver is very disappointing. The Championship game told me all I needed to know about Fields. IMO I think Urban and Lawrence are a LOCK. The reason I started with the Jets is because they offer the best value.
I agree. Just read an article that Urban Meyer compared TL and JF in 2020 as even but Trevor ahead due to one more year Playing time. The championship game revealed a lot. Many are saying that you can't ding Fields for that game and I don't but when you add that into other games he had in 2020....

I'll play along....check with Washington. I think they'd be all in on Watson as their new QB. I'm asking for Chase Young for starters.....then I'd expect nothing less than RD1 picks in 21, 22, 23, and a RD2 pick in 2022. I could live a return like this.
I love Chase young and mock several trades before 2020 season of him coming to Houston. However where when do you get your QB? In my opinion none of the future QBs look as good as the top three In 2021 draft. One would probably have to use all the Picks received for Watson in that case to trade up in 22 to get a good QB if there is one available. Wash out for me.

I love Chase young and mock several trades before 2020 season of him coming to Houston. However where when do you get your QB? In my opinion none of the future QBs look as good as the top three In 2021 draft. One would probably have to use all the Picks received for Watson in that case to trade up in 22 to get a good QB if there is one available. Wash out for me.

Zach Wilson only arrived on the scene this season. Joe Burrow only arrived on the scene after one season last year. No one can know when these CFB QB's are going to become hot commodities. I'd roll the dice that there could be another Burrow or Wilson surface in 2022 and/or 2023. We haven't come close to seeing an end to the one season phenom at the CFB level.

Maybe we can build a legion of boom type defense with all those picks. I mean, that's what we were thinking before Watson.

Maybe we can build a legion of boom type defense with all those picks. I mean, that's what we were thinking before Watson.
To be honest I would like to see what AJ McCarron could do behind a very good offensive line and the team improved on defense. Give AJ Darrisaw at left tackle 2 round one wide receivers in Devonta Smith and Terrace Marshall plus Landon Dickerson at center then throw in Javonte Williams or Chuba Hubbard pounding the rock, we don't have to have a great QB. Trade for Corner Tavien Howard. If OT Becton and DE Quennin Williams included in trade for Jets 1.2 that would be a haul. A round 3 minimum to complete deal with Chargers plus our own 3.67 plus Steelers 3.90 for Watt would get you RB above plus two solid guys on defense. Our two round 4s and our 5th could be traded up maybe as high as late round two.

Next year we have our own round 1&2 plus Jets.

at this point they should up the anite i want the BANK !!!! 4 (1st round picks!) plus extra stuff

Saleh to Jets.....

Back