Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What is Watson's value in a trade?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I'm really rooting for a DW4 trade.
You think Nick Caserio's first major personnel move would be to trade his young franchise QB? Basically the entire value of the roster? Can you be realistic for one moment? Caserio wouldn't even had taken the interview with this franchise had Watson not been here. Discussing Watson's trade value is strictly hypothetical. Thinking there is an actual possibility that Watson would be traded belongs in La-La Land.

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
Watson can get us to a SB, but only with a good coaching staff and lots and lots and LOTS of other holes on the team filled. And that ain't happening anytime soon. I also don't think he'll get traded. Cal knows that would be a marketing nightmare. He'd rather trot out a mediocre team and settle in with his profits.
Watson-Tunsil-Cooks will be over 36% of the salary cap in 2022, $74,000,000. The Texans have 26 players under contract in 2022 that account for $180MM of the $210MM NFL team salary cap. Watt is not one of them. That leaves $30MM under the cap to sign 25 additional players. I don't see how the coaching staff can fill your request of lots and lots and LOTS of other holes.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Watson-Tunsil-Cooks will be over 36% of the salary cap in 2022, $74,000,000. The Texans have 26 players under contract in 2022 that account for $180MM of the $210MM NFL team salary cap. Watt is not one of them. That leaves $30MM under the cap to sign 25 additional players. I don't see how the coaching staff can fill your request of lots and lots and LOTS of other holes.

This is stuff I've been talking about since before Watson signed his extension ....

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You think Nick Caserio first major personnel move would be to trade his young franchise QB? Basically the entire value of the roster? Can you be realistic for one moment? Caserio wouldn't even had taken the interview with this franchise had Watson not been here. Discussing Watson's trade value is strictly hypothetical. Thinking there is an actual possibility that Watson would be traded belongs in La-La Land.
If it comes down to Caserio being able to pick the HC of his choosing or keeping DW4 I could see DW4 getting traded. Or if DW4 comes back from vacation and wants comes out and says I want to be trade and I'm not showing up for anything until the season starts if you dont trade me, I dont think it's farfetched at all under these 2 scenarios that DW4 would be traded, because either way DW4 would be cutting off the new regime at the knees. So I dont think it's too far fetched to think that it would be possible for DW4 to be traded.

If not for the marketing angle that the Texans are all about, then I think a trade would be more likely than not as the new GM would truly want to clean house and rebuild the franchise the way he wants to build it, given the lack of cap room and draft picks this in fact would be the prudent thing to do.

Purge all of the past and start a new is something that needs to be done. Trading JJ/DW4 would give the new GM a chance to build this new culture thing the Texans keep preaching about.

Full and total Housecleaning needs to happen.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If it comes down to Caserio being able to pick the HC of his choosing or keeping DW4 I could see DW4 getting traded.
I'm thinking we set a bad precedent by firing O'Brien after Watt's outburst. Now these yahoos think they are in control.

I'd rather our GM find a way to resolve this issue without trading Watson.

If he can't, I would be disappointed. But I'd rather that than allow Watson to pick our next HC.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I'm thinking we set a bad precedent by firing O'Brien after Watt's outburst. Now these yahoos think they are in control.

If he can't, I would be disappointed. But I'd rather that than allow Watson to pick our next HC.
I don't think it's about him picking the head coach as much as having his voice heard. Really heard. Not placating him and wasting his time. Clearly, he feels like his voice isn't heard in the organization.

Times are changing and young QBs will be more vocal. They know their value and worth. If you aren't ready to adapt you will die off. Let's see how the Texans manage this delicate situation.

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
I don't think it's about him picking the head coach as much as having his voice heard. Really heard. Not placating him and wasting his time. Clearly, he feels like his voice isn't heard in the organization.

Times are changing and young QBs will be more vocal. They know their value and worth. If you aren't ready to adapt you will die off. Let's see how the Texans manage this delicate situation.
The problem is that it is extremely difficult to make someone feel like they are 'heard' unless you do what they say, if you listen then decide to go in another direction it's very easy to for anyone to convince them that you are just placating them.

I agree wholeheartedly that the world is changing and the NFL isn't immune to it - they should make the star players feel their input is valued, but you need to be extremely clear that the final decision will be made by the GM.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
The problem is that it is extremely difficult to make someone feel like they are 'heard' unless you do what they say, if you listen then decide to go in another direction it's very easy to for anyone to convince them that you are just placating them.

I agree wholeheartedly that the world is changing and the NFL isn't immune to it - they should make the star players feel their input is valued, but you need to be extremely clear that the final decision will be made by the GM.
I disagree. As someone closer to Watson's age, I understand him somewhat. Businesses and corporations do a poor job of really making employees' opinions feel validated. I think Watson is professional enough to understand the decision, but you need to take his input into consideration. Having the process high jacked by a guy who isn't important to the team's success and completely alienating your star is a recipe for disaster.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
If something like this happens, it'll be a fun time to be a moderator on Texans Talk. lol :shoot:
Actually the funny thing is most on here seem to be in agreement, or at least posting that way, that if Watson is pouting about the GM hire and looking to force a trade then send him out. I for one have been extremely surprised by how some have reacted to that idea.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I disagree. As someone closer to Watson's age, I understand him somewhat. Businesses and corporations do a poor job of really making employees' opinions feel validated. I think Watson is professional enough to understand the decision, but you need to take his input into consideration. Having the process high jacked by a guy who isn't important to the team's success and completely alienating your star is a recipe for disaster.
Why? What in Watson’s skill set or background make him qualified at all to have any say in a GM hire? A HC ok yeah then you might have a case but part of the role of a GM is to be separate from the players so he can make those hard choices without considering the players feelings. So Cal ignored the list a consulting firm he hired gave him, that’s completely his right as is every other decision the Texans make.

Watson didn’t drop 700 million to buy an NFL franchise the McNair’s did. If he really didn’t like the way they do business then why did he sign a new mega contract with them? No one held a gun to his head and he could have gone to any team he wanted after his rookie deal was up.

He could have even gone to KC to work with all his friends all he had to say was he was willing to be and get paid like a backup QB. Not saying he should do that or that I would have in his place but this idea that the Texans owe him or any other player anything is stupid and a sign of the entitled generation. You are paid, and paid extremely well, to do a job. You don’t like it go somewhere else.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Why? What in Watson’s skill set or background make him qualified at all to have any say in a GM hire? A HC ok yeah then you might have a case but part of the role of a GM is to be separate from the players so he can make those hard choices without considering the players feelings. So Cal ignored the list a consulting firm he hired gave him, that’s completely his right as is every other decision the Texans make.

Watson didn’t drop 700 million to buy an NFL franchise the McNair’s did. If he really didn’t like the way they do business then why did he sign a new mega contract with them? No one held a gun to his head and he could have gone to any team he wanted after his rookie deal was up.

He could have even gone to KC to work with all his friends all he had to say was he was willing to be and get paid like a backup QB. Not saying he should do that or that I would have in his place but this idea that the Texans owe him or any other player anything is stupid and a sign of the entitled generation. You are paid, and paid extremely well, to do a job. You don’t like it go somewhere else.
Honest question, how old are you? No disrespect, but company culture matters now more than ever. No one said he should be the final decision maker, but making sure your star employee and new manager get along is very important. Unless you want a complete company overhaul, ignoring your current employees is never a good idea. There seems to be a generational shift along Millenials and Gen Z vs "the older guys". Ignore it if you want, but it exists.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Honest question, how old are you? No disrespect, but company culture matters now more than ever. No one said he should be the final decision maker, but making sure your star employee and new manager get along is very important. Unless you want a complete company overhaul, ignoring your current employees is never a good idea. There seems to be a generational shift along Millenials and Gen Z vs "the older guys". Ignore it if you want, but it exists.
Cal did ask for DW4's input and got it. Cal didn't agree with DW4's input.

What more did you want Cal to do?

Yep the Gen Z'ers sure appear to be pretty good at whining if they dont get their way. Or atleast this seems to be true in this case.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Cal did ask for DW4's input and got it. Cal didn't agree with DW4's input.

What more did you want Cal to do?

Yep the Gen Z'ers sure appear to be pretty good at whining if they dont get their way. Or atleast this seems to be true in this case.
Pure speculation on your part. You have no idea what the conversations were like. Clearly Watson feels differently. Everything about this situation is speculation.

I have a source that says Watson was under the impression Easterby was going to be let go and the Caserio hire all but makes that a lie Cal told him.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

You?

And most companies don’t pay a 20 year olds millions of dollars to play a game.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Pure speculation on your part. You have no idea what the conversations were like. Clearly Watson feels differently. Everything about this situation is speculation.

I have a source that says Watson was under the impression Easterby was going to be let go and the Caserio hire all but makes that a lie Cal told him.
I do know that Cal put DW4 on the search committee, it stands to reason that he was asked for his opinion. You're reaching.

Do you really believe that BOB was ever going to fire Easterby? If so I'm guessing you dont understand that for good or bad Easterby has Cal's full trust and was brought to Houston to be Cal's right hand man.

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame

Wtf???

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Your Source is full of it.

Cal stated on many occasions that Easterby would still be "with the team" but not in a football capacity.

He made that statement the day he was promoted to interim GM and has made similar statements on multiple occasions since , including the Caserio introduction presser.

Caserio made a similar statement - Easterby will be with the team but Football decisions are mine (along with the eventual HC).

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Your Source is full of it.

Cal stated on many occasions that Easterby would still be "with the team" but not in a football capacity.

He made that statement the day he was promoted to interim GM and has made similar statements on multiple occasions since , including the Caserio introduction presser.

Caserio made a similar statement - Easterby will be with the team but Football decisions are mine (along with the eventual HC).
Are you saying I am lying?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Well, just to prove a point of how stupid "sources" are I made it up. I have no source and nothing I said about the situation is factual. See how easy that is? No proof, but people read it and took it at face value. How ridiculous is that?
Sorry man. Just trying to prove a point about people saying they have "sources". That Is absurd to me. Lots of guess work. I just don't buy unnamed sources as reliable.
Was your point being that we shouldn’t trust anything you say? I’m not trying to be a jerk but there is, at least to me, an unwritten rule on forums like these that a person is given respect for their post and information and in return they don’t post anything they know to be a lie.

You asked @Corrosion if he was saying you were lying and, IMO to be polite, he said your source was so what he should have said yes you are?

I’m sorry man but you just lost all credibility with me. Even when someone posts something that sounds completely stupid I are it as them lying just maybe ignorant or, yes, in some cases stupid but not lying. You, however, now have admitted to lying “to prove a point” so I’ll have to assume everything you say without posting where it came from is a lie.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Was your point being that we shouldn’t trust anything you say? I’m not trying to be a jerk but there is, at least to me, an unwritten rule on forums like these that a person is given respect for their post and information and in return they don’t post anything they know to be a lie.

You asked @Corrosion if he was saying you were lying and, IMO to be polite, he said your source was so what he should have said yes you are?

I’m sorry man but you just lost all credibility with me. Even when someone posts something that sounds completely stupid I are it as them lying just maybe ignorant or, yes, in some cases stupid but not lying. You, however, now have admitted to lying “to prove a point” so I’ll have to assume everything you say without posting where it came from is a lie.
Oh no, I lost your respect, how will I go on? I honestly don't care what you think. Ignore button works I am told, use it.

The point of the post, which I set up perfectly might I add, was quickly clarified so people would see it right away, and no it wasn't fact. People are way too quick to act like they have insiders and sources when really they don't. It's the internet and people lie all the time. Having an opinion is awesome, even if your opinion is crazy, looking at you Steel. Hiding behind a "source" is ridiculous and overused.

Is Watson unhappy? probably. Is he pushing for a trade? Maybe. But not one "insider" has any more evidence than you or I do. They are trying to read the situation and be the first with the scoop. Even if they are wrong.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Oh no, I lost your respect, how will I go on? I honestly don't care what you think. Ignore button works I am told, use it.

The point of the post, which I set up perfectly might I add, was quickly clarified so people would see it right away, and no it wasn't fact. People are way too quick to act like they have insiders and sources when really they don't. It's the internet and people lie all the time. Having an opinion is awesome, even if your opinion is crazy, looking at you Steel. Hiding behind a "source" is ridiculous and overused.

Is Watson unhappy? probably. Is he pushing for a trade? Maybe. But not one "insider" has any more evidence than you or I do. They are trying to read the situation and be the first with the scoop. Even if they are wrong.
Funny thing is I agree with you, and said from the beginning, about the media but stopping to their level doesn’t prove your point it just makes you look bad. Fact is you don’t know if anyone believed you or if they were just giving your post the respect we are suppose to give each other.

You said you were close to Watson’s age, though you haven’t answered me after I gave you mine, and after these posts I believe it. You do come across as young and I don’t mean that in a good way.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Funny thing is I agree with you, and said from the beginning, about the media but stopping to their level doesn’t prove your point it just makes you look bad. Fact is you don’t know if anyone believed you or if they were just giving your post the respect we are suppose to give each other.

You said you were close to Watson’s age, though you haven’t answered me after I gave you mine, and after these posts I believe it. You do come across as young and I don’t mean that in a good way.
I must have missed your post. I am surprised by your age TBH.

I am 33.

Stooping to their level? LMAO ok bud.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
People are way too quick to act like they have insiders and sources when really they don't. It's the internet and people lie all the time.
Are you saying someone here told you they have an inside source & you’re calling that person a liar?

for the most part I don’t know of anyone who has openly declared they have a source. There’s a couple of guys who told me so privately, but they generally don’t push that info to the board.

There’s a couple of guys who say they’ve heard this or that from some one who has a source, not that they have a source directly.

Or are you talking about guys like Florio who says he has a source?

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Are you saying someone here told you they have an inside source & you’re calling that person a liar?

for the most part I don’t know of anyone who has openly declared they have a source. There’s a couple of guys who told me so privately, but they generally don’t push that info to the board.

There’s a couple of guys who say they’ve heard this or that from some one who has a source, not that they have a source directly.

I am talking about everyone in general. For the purpose of today's discussion, mainly Florio.

Do I think reporters have some connections? Yes, I think all do, but sometimes their sources are overstated. I think they manipulate stories to act like they have more info than they do to create a story. Like in this case.

As for board members, I don't even want to get into that. My post wasn't specifically about members on the board.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Well, just to prove a point of how stupid "sources" are I made it up. I have no source and nothing I said about the situation is factual. See how easy that is? No proof, but people read it and took it at face value. How ridiculous is that?
Who took you seriously.

Everybody knows Caserio was Cal's guy and that Cal has said Easterby was going to remain in the Texans org in a non football capacity.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Which is crazier to be a liar or think DW4 isn't an elite QB?

BTW, you're wrong on this one. (Not this particular DW4 case) There are 4 or 5 guys on this MB that have inside sources with Media/ trainers/players/FO/minority ownership. You can choose to believe me or not but I'm not lying.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

He's good at using the passive aggressive approach to spreading lies.

BTW, it's really funny when I answered his question very dierctly about if Corrosion was calling him a liar that post got removed. i'm assuming Corrosion removed it which makes this even more hilarious.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

BTW, it's really funny when I answered his question very dierctly about if Corrosion was calling him a liar that post got removed. i'm assuming Corrosion removed it which makes this even more hilarious.
Your powers of deductive reasoning is staggering.

I signed the warning TK.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

Not Me.