Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What is Watson's value in a trade?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I think you two (including @JB ) are bickering over hyperbole and semantics at this point. If one rb get 283 carries and another rb gets 68 receptions is he wrong? It's a rough projection and ultimately wtf cares unless we get the wins?
Exactly

I need to learn to let it go

RGV82

Random guy
Most offenses get 45-65 snaps per game. It is possible. It doesn't mean the offense is good but it is possible.

I think you two (including @JB ) are bickering over hyperbole and semantics at this point. If one rb get 283 carries and another rb gets 68 receptions is he wrong? It's a rough projection and ultimately wtf cares unless we get the wins?
Most offenses get 45-65 snaps per game. It is possible. It doesn't mean the offense is good but it is possible.

I ultimately agree. I just can’t stand JB’s manipulative and know-it-all attitude.

RGV82

Random guy
I ignored 1 (ONE) combative message. Get a narrower paintbrush
It wasn’t combative. I simply called you out about a false accusation and lie you made and you ignored it and refused to answer.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I tried. He ignores me in private messaging.

No one here has to agree with everything. If you wait a bit I'm sure you'll see a post from him (or he you) that you guys agree on completely. Use that to mend your fences.

A message board is just a minefield of opinions and everyone is waiting to go off.

Common ground here is the Texans. Treat it like a back yard bbq. Some of my favorite posters today are guys I absolutely went to war with years ago. I didn't (and sometimes still dont) like their opinions but I respect them nonetheless.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't move off Watson unless we locked in another good qb. I would definitely be looking at Brady.

I don't think any of this ever has a chance of happening but sure...
What about about my Stills for Washington's Haskins? If we had to sit him a while we could roll with McCarron or heck perhaps PJ Walker..

badboy

Hall of Fame
@JB

You two might take this to the basement thread? I've been assured by mods previously there is less moderation there (within reason.)

It's not intended as a place for fights. It's intended as a de-escalation thread and to keep other threads on topic.

You ever see fighters who hated one another pre fight and had the utmost respect for each other afterward? Give it a shot. I dont think your football opinions are far off.
Yeah and I got culled for language and I am still trying to find out what I said. I think "you and I have never said anything wrong".

powda

Yeah and I got culled for language and I am still trying to find out what I said. I think "you and I have never said anything wrong".
Ask in the offical rules thread. The mods will tell you more then likely. I've said plenty of dumb **** they deleted.

It probably needed to be deleted.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Ask in the offical rules thread. The mods will tell you more then likely. I've said plenty of dumb **** they deleted.

It probably needed to be deleted.
I did as I wanted to apologise to whomever but no response yet. With F bomb this thread I assume no mods on MB today.

powda

but he could take action on the F Bomb? I am all for new review but never thought my words would be "culled". lol
Need more context here. If your dropping f bombs they will act on it.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Personally, if I were to move Watson......I want 2- RD1 and 2- RD2 picks over the 2020 and 2021 NFL Drafts. Next, I'm signing McCarron on the cheap and handing him the reins for the next 2 seasons. To be honest, McCarron deserves a shot at starting b/c I believe he could be a pretty good QB with some real reps under his belt. Those picks could provide a solid foundation to fill some glaring holes over the next 2 seasons.

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine
Wanting and getting are 2 different things.

DW4 ain't that good.
Didn’t you just tell someone that they can go somewhere else with their BOB hate? But you’re hating on Watson. Interesting

Without this not that good QB we would’ve went 4-12 again.

Lol at this dude here. Practice what you preach

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Didn’t you just tell someone that they can go somewhere else with their BOB hate? But you’re hating on Watson. Interesting

Without this not that good QB we would’ve went 4-12 again.

Lol at this dude here. Practice what you preach
I dont hate DW4

I just dont think the Texans can win a championship with him at QB.

You think they can, the fact that we disagree doesn't equal hate.

BTW, 4-12 = hyperbole. Tell me who replaces DW4 and then I will tell you how many wins the Texans will have. For instance put Brady on the Texans and they aren't going 4-12.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Personally, if I were to move Watson......I want 2- RD1 and 2- RD2 picks over the 2020 and 2021 NFL Drafts. Next, I'm signing McCarron on the cheap and handing him the reins for the next 2 seasons. To be honest, McCarron deserves a shot at starting b/c I believe he could be a pretty good QB with some real reps under his belt. Those picks could provide a solid foundation to fill some glaring holes over the next 2 seasons.
yes and not just any first and seconds; have to be high enough to bring in game changers. Top 10 minimum.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not to put words in Powda’s mouth, but Watson is one of the most “clutch” QBs I’ve seen. Yes he has things to improve upon, but the ability to perform under pressure is rare and hard to find.
Hopefully he gets better with the pressure of the playoffs.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Most definitely. A lot of teams would love to have that QB that’s not good.
that's what my perspective has been with a possible move of Watson. He is a very good quarterback and with Burrows and Tua Tag going 1 & 2 and possibly Chargers moving up to number three and taking Herbert it's a long drop Before you get to the next QB. Day 1 this season Watson will be better than any of these three. His contract, future health and this offense with his head coach limits his growth in Houston. IMO, Wash, Miami & Raiders going into new venue should pay dearly for #4. Every one mocked Chase Young to 1.2 and had Herbert at #6 and it might yet work out that way. However more and more mocks are taking my view. The jonesing for a QB of the future will only intensify as we get closer to the draft.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I guess you completely forgot about his clutch plays against the Bills stout defense huh?
A couple of plays a game doesn't make a QB clutch. He got extremely lucky to make that throw to Jones.

Are you saying he had a good game against the Bills?

Texansballer74

The Marine
A couple of plays a game doesn't make a QB clutch. He got extremely lucky to make that throw to Jones.

Are you saying he had a good game against the Bills?
Man just stop it. This kid has been clutch since high school.

Yes he handled his business. We wouldn’t have advanced if it wasn’t for his heroics. Bill O’Brien was the one who trotted out that vanilla crap.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Man just stop it. This kid has been clutch since high school.

Yes he handled his business. We wouldn’t have advanced if it wasn’t for his heroics. Bill O’Brien was the one who trotted out that vanilla crap.
Maybe if DW4 had played better the heroics wouldn't have been needed that game. He was really bad for 2 1/2 qtrs.

Are you saying he had a good game and that he didn't get lucky?

Texansballer74

The Marine
Maybe if DW4 had played better the heroics wouldn't have been needed that game. He was really bad for 2 1/2 qtrs.

Are you saying he had a good game and that he didn't get lucky?

You always gotta put this crap on the kid. Bump the atrocious offensive line play. Bump the fact that our recievers are not getting any type of separation. And what about that boring unimaginative play calling. So how in the world do you expect any player to be consistent.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You always gotta put this crap on the kid. Bump the atrocious offensive line play. Bump the fact that our recievers are not getting any type of separation. And what about that boring unimaginative play calling. So how in the world do you expect any player to be consistent.
I expect improvement in reading defenses/Anticipation/Accuracy.

So DW4 didn't have these issues over the last month of the season? It was all on everybody else connected with the offense.

I think I've got it.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
I expect improvement in reading defenses/Anticipation/Accuracy.

So DW4 didn't have these issues over the last month of the season? It was all on everybody else connected with the offense.

I think I've got it.
So is everything all on Watson? Did Watson continuously call runs up the middle against the number 1 run defense in the NFL (TB game). Was it Watson’s fault Fuller was injured, and hardly played in the final month? You don’t think inserting the human turnstile Chris Clark negatively effected the offense during the final month? How about the crappy play of Fulton? Pff gave him a score in mid 70s for pass blocking, and a 47 for run blocking. You don’t think, given our penchant for running the FB, this had a negative effect? If you’re constantly stuck in 3rd and long it’s hard to have success, unless you’re playing against our defense.

The goat TBs completion % dropped by 10% vs the previous 3 seasons. Did he suddenly become inaccurate or was it because he was playing with new WRs this year. Both of our offenses require the QB and the WR making the same reads, and when QBs and WRs aren’t on the same page it will effect both accuracy and anticipation. Go back and listen to the podcast where Cecil Shorts describes our offense and how complicated it is. There are something like 200 formations and multiple route combinations. We might put something in the week 13 game plan that they haven’t practiced since training camp. For guys like Hop and Fuller it might not be a big deal as they have several years in the system, but for guys like Fells, Stills, and Coutee you have to see where it could cause issues. Coutee couldn’t get his butt off the bench because he kept making errors, running the wrong routes.

Yes there are areas that Watson needs to improve with out question. He’s still a young player and he’s far from a finished product. However, there’s always context to every situation. A great game plan can make an average player look great just like a mediocre game plan can make a great player look mediocre. I think injuries and new players can effect teams like ours and NE a bit more than other teams where there are fewer reads to make during a play. I think poor pass blocking can effect a QBs footwork, rhythm and timing which can in turn effect accuracy and anticipation. Like you I wasn’t happy with the offense towards the end of the season. The difference is I’m spreading the blame around to multiple parties that I believe played a role in our poor performances, including giving Watson his fair share. It seems through your posts you’re laying the lions share at Watson’s feet. I’m not sure that’s entirely fair

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So is everything all on Watson? Did Watson continuously call runs up the middle against the number 1 run defense in the NFL (TB game). Was it Watson’s fault Fuller was injured, and hardly played in the final month? You don’t think inserting the human turnstile Chris Clark negatively effected the offense during the final month? How about the crappy play of Fulton? Pff gave him a score in mid 70s for pass blocking, and a 47 for run blocking. You don’t think, given our penchant for running the FB, this had a negative effect? If you’re constantly stuck in 3rd and long it’s hard to have success, unless you’re playing against our defense.

The goat TBs completion % dropped by 10% vs the previous 3 seasons. Did he suddenly become inaccurate or was it because he was playing with new WRs this year. Both of our offenses require the QB and the WR making the same reads, and when QBs and WRs aren’t on the same page it will effect both accuracy and anticipation. Go back and listen to the podcast where Cecil Shorts describes our offense and how complicated it is. There are something like 200 formations and multiple route combinations. We might put something in the week 13 game plan that they haven’t practiced since training camp. For guys like Hop and Fuller it might not be a big deal as they have several years in the system, but for guys like Fells, Stills, and Coutee you have to see where it could cause issues. Coutee couldn’t get his butt off the bench because he kept making errors, running the wrong routes.

Yes there are areas that Watson needs to improve with out question. He’s still a young player and he’s far from a finished product. However, there’s always context to every situation. A great game plan can make an average player look great just like a mediocre game plan can make a great player look mediocre. I think injuries and new players can effect teams like ours and NE a bit more than other teams where there are fewer reads to make during a play. I think poor pass blocking can effect a QBs footwork, rhythm and timing which can in turn effect accuracy and anticipation. Like you I wasn’t happy with the offense towards the end of the season. The difference is I’m spreading the blame around to multiple parties that I believe played a role in our poor performances, including giving Watson his fair share. It seems through your posts you’re laying the lions share at Watson’s feet. I’m not sure that’s entirely fair
Good reply

TB missed Gromk last yr, that was the biggest reason for his drop off. WFV played in the playoffs and Stills isn't a bad WR.

I will give you Clark but if one below avg OT can bring a entire offense to below avg then there are other issues. BTW. The offense had to work around 2 below avg OTs 2 yrs ago and somehow managed to make the playoffs.

Yes, I would expect the players I drafted to be smart enough to learn the playback if I was BOB, mean it's a large part of their job and if they can't learn the playbook then it's time to move on.

If Coutee doesn't get more comfortable with the playbook/route running then I expect him to be cut in TC as an example.

I do lay the Lions share at DE4's feet because he's basically the same guy he was as a rookie

Texansballer74

The Marine
Good reply

TB missed Gromk last yr, that was the biggest reason for his drop off. WFV played in the playoffs and Stills isn't a bad WR.

I will give you Clark but if one below avg OT can bring a entire offense to below avg then there are other issues. BTW. The offense had to work around 2 below avg OTs 2 yrs ago and somehow managed to make the playoffs.

Yes, I would expect the players I drafted to be smart enough to learn the playback if I was BOB, mean it's a large part of their job and if they can't learn the playbook then it's time to move on.

If Coutee doesn't get more comfortable with the playbook/route running then I expect him to be cut in TC as an example.

I do lay the Lions share at DE4's feet because he's basically the same guy he was as a rookie
And Bill O’Brien is still the same guy he was as a rookie HC. But you’re not being over critical towards him, why?