Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What is Laremy Tunsil's worth in a trade?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Surprised at Bengals not getting a left tackle to protect Herbert. Carman Jackson playing RG after drafted in round 2.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I continue to think we could get a haul for Tunsil before his cap hit elevates.

I hope Caserio keeps as many pro bowl players as possible. Particularly the guy who will be protecting Mills blindside on Sunday. Some posters didn't learn a thing from what happened to Carr. Also it appears that He's run blocking better this yr. Although I didn't checkout the DVOA bible some seem to proclaim as gospel.

Tunsil's better run blocking is directly related to being next to Brown/Howard and Britt making upgraded OL calls. AS opposed to letting the QB make the OL calls like BOB was doing.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I am not too concerned losing Taylor or Mills would throw Texans into win poverty forever. If Mills shows a muy grande improvement this season as I had hope I could change mind but I think Heck could be our LT for the future by 2022. Also there are some interesting OTs in the next draft. Detroit's two round ones and Penei Sewell is a good start for Watson.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Not having Devlin around anymore sure raises the confidence level that whoever they bring in would be coached right. If the talent is there too, then I have no issues dealing Tunsil.
Agree we now have a line coach and another reason I think Heck can be moved to left tackle. He is not equal to Tunsil..yet but we do not have to have that immediately. Picks from Jets or Bengals + huge cap savings would be very beneficial. We will know more as season progresses.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Texans will either be playing for a playoff position or the 2022 NFL Draft…..anything in between isn’t so good b/c moral victories can help keep teams mediocre for longer than expected or desired.

If Texans are playing for the draft leading up to the trade deadline then Caserio has to keep his ears open to the possibilities of obtaining additional draft capital for 2022 draft.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Texans will either be playing for a playoff position or the 2022 NFL Draft…..anything in between isn’t so good b/c moral victories can help keep teams mediocre for longer than expected or desired.

If Texans are playing for the draft leading up to the trade deadline then Caserio has to keep his ears open to the possibilities of obtaining additional draft capital for 2022 draft.
I agree

But I also want to give the young QB a chance to learn without getting the heck beat out of him.

I never want to see what happened to Carr happen to another young Texans QB again and I'm willing to pay for it.

Don't worry the Texans are going to be bad this year and if they aren't then that means that Mills is a franchise QB, so I look at this like a win-win proposition.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I agree

But I also want to give the young QB a chance to learn without getting the heck beat out of him.

I never want to see what happened to Carr happen to another young Texans QB again and I'm willing to pay for it.

Don't worry the Texans are going to be bad this year and if they aren't then that means that Mills is a franchise QB, so I look at this like a win-win proposition.
Yes and we will have rest of season for Heck and oline to grow. If we need to go QB at 1.1 I prefer Tunsil. It would take a huge offer for me to give him up. Example Bengals round 1.4 or 5 plus round two or firsts in 2022 and 23.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yes and we will have rest of season for Heck and oline to grow. If we need to go QB at 1.1 I prefer Tunsil. It would take a huge offer for me to give him up. Example Bengals round 1.4 or 5 plus round two or firsts in 2022 and 23.
We dont even know if Heck can play an avg RT yet and you're wanting him to play LT?

Reactions: JB

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Tunsil and his agent might be thinking 25M a season and that could be too much at this juncture of the rebuild.
I look at the cap this way, there are going to be 5 great players that get paid top $$$$ on a team. There are going to be 10 players that are going to be paid really good $$$$. Another 10-15 players that are vet min type guys. The rest are on rookie deals/low wage deals.

The key is to have your QB on his rookie deal so you can add more to the 1st two groups because you dont have to pay your QB.

I would always have my edge/LT/CB/MLB/1 other OL as high paid guys if they're special players on high paid deals.

Last edited:

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Yeah, let's roll with a super-young QB and team while dismantling our OL

lol you guys are crazy sometimes.
For years the coaching has held this o-line back. Now it appears we have that coaching so I don’t think it’s crazy at all to find someone, even if it’s a cheaper FA, to give you as much as Tunsil is with what he’s costing you. And considering what you could get back for him, plus what you get from Watson, if that does indeed work out, this thing potentially turns around in a great big hurry.

I’m not saying hurry up and do it, but I don’t have a problem with it if that’s their thinking.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If they are going to rebuild, then do it. Absorb all the pain early and rid the franchise of those heavy contracts 'negotiated' by Billy.

A 4 win team with an all-pro LT just seems like it's wasting another year of his career. I understand wanting to protect an investment, but Mills isn't a no. 1 pick and odds are he'll end up a career backup or might not even make a team in the future. (I hope the best for the kid, but just being honest.)

So blow it all up and let Caserio rebuild it from the ground up. In Nick we trust, for better or for worse.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
If they are going to rebuild, then do it. Absorb all the pain early and rid the franchise of those heavy contracts 'negotiated' by Billy.

A 4 win team with an all-pro LT just seems like it's wasting another year of his career. I understand wanting to protect an investment, but Mills isn't a no. 1 pick and odds are he'll end up a career backup or might not even make a team in the future. (I hope the best for the kid, but just being honest.)

So blow it all up and let Caserio rebuild it from the ground up. In Nick we trust, for better or for worse.
It will be difficult to move him now (for much draft capital) with such large numbers in 2022 and 2023.

NC had his chance to try to move him during the off-season.

Maybe a team in desperate need later on during the year will roll the dice; we shall see.

badboy

Hall of Fame
We dont even know if Heck can play an avg RT yet and you're wanting him to play LT?
I'm sure that his coaches believe he is better than average at right tackle and I do think he will be better at his natural position. I did say this season would make him better.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Totally disagree on comments about Tunsil contract as being untradeable. If traded this season his base of less than one million brings the remaining three contract years to $12.45 million a year avg. For a multi pro-bowler, that's ridiculously cheap; even if traded after this season how is $17.85 for 2022 and $18.5 for '23 to expensive for a purchasing team? To ease dead hit it is better to trade him this season.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Totally disagree on comments about Tunsil contract as being untradeable. If traded this season his base of less than one million brings the remaining three contract years to $12.45 million a year avg. For a multi pro-bowler, that's ridiculously cheap; even if traded after this season how is $17.85 for 2022 and $18.5 for '23 to expensive for a purchasing team? To ease dead hit it is better to trade him this season.
You're right.
I think we were paying too much attention to the cap charge to the Texans, we forgot that they had paid him the restructuring bonus.

Still, at $18M on average, Tunsil is not a bargain.

badboy

Hall of Fame
You're right.
I think we were paying too much attention to the cap charge to the Texans, we forgot that they had paid him the restructuring bonus.

yes he is. Bakhtiari for same years 22 and 23 is cap avg almost 25 million. Your own link his 18 would be tied for 5th?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm sure that his coaches believe he is better than average at right tackle and I do think he will be better at his natural position. I did say this season would make him better.
How do you know what the coaches think?

If they thought Heck could play LT well he would already be playing LT and Tunsil would already be traded.

Truth is you hope Heck can play LT and have been advocating for Tunsil to be traded for yrs. Why, because you want the draft pick and cap space.

I value guys that can play and protect the young QB's blindside. We just have totally different thoughts on how to build a team. Give me all pro's and the money doesn't matter since the QB is on his rookie deal.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Look at the Cowboys rebuild with JJ.

Tuinea (SP) was kept to protect Aikman.

The Chiefs rebuild under Reid, 1st pick (Fisher)

I'm sure glad Caserio will be making these choices instead of all of the Casserly's on this MB.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You're right.

Teams that go bargain shopping on their OL's usually look alot like the NYJ for the last decade.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Look at the Cowboys rebuild with JJ.

Tuinea (SP) was kept to protect Aikman.

The Chiefs rebuild under Reid, 1st pick (Fisher)

I'm sure glad Caserio will be making these choices instead of all of the Casserly's on this MB.
Not sure why you blindly believe in NC.
What has he done?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not sure why you blindly believe in NC.
What has he done?
I dont blindly believe in NC.

I dont even like all of the moves he's made this offseason. I do think he's got the team headed in the right direction.
Ask the Buccs.

Then look at the top 10 LTs in pay last year.
How did their teams do?

There's a point of diminishing return.

Nobody is suggesting bargain hunting.
Tampa has one 1st rder on the OL and a FA addition plus two 2nd rders. I would say they've made an investment in their OL, plus they just paid Smith/Marpet. I'm sure you would be b!tching about that.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I dont blindly believe in NC.

I dont even like all of the moves he's made this offseason. I do think he's got the team headed in the right direction.

Tampa has one 1st rder on the OL and a FA addition plus two 2nd rders. I would say they've made an investment in their OL, plus they just paid Smith/Marpet. I'm sure you would be b!tching about that.
No, I prefer to draft your own linemen and develop them.
When needed? Ok, bring in a guy to get you over the top.

How much do they pay the guys?

How much did they get paid last year?

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No, I prefer to draft your own linemen and develop them.
When needed? Ok, bring in a guy to get you over the top.

How much do they pay the guys?

How much did they get paid last year?
In other words you're looking for bargains.

You should be fairly hapy even though I know you will never be happy.

Howard/Britt/Scharping/Cannon (Debatable) Heck aren't making money.

Tell me on the Texans there will be 5 top paid players. Example: last yr

Pervert/Watt/Merci/Cunningham/Roby/Martin were the guys that got paid.

This yr only Pervert/Tunsil are getting paid and Caserio dumped contracts, plus added guys that fit their time time for success to 1/2 yr deals. What's not to like? By next yr and with the cap going up there should be plenty of cap space available if that's worrying you.

As far as Tunsil goes, give me all pro level players and as many of them as I can get. Either by the draft or trade or FA. It doesn't matter to me. Apparently it matters to you.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
In other words you're looking for bargains.

You should be fairly hapy even though I know you will never be happy.

Tell me on the Texans there will be 5 top paid players. Example: last yr

Pervert/Watt/Merci/Cunningham/Roby/Martin were the guys that got paid.

This yr only Pervert/Tunsil are getting paid and Caserio dumped contracts, plus added guys that fit their time time for success to 1/2 yr deals. What's not to like? By next yr and with the cap going up there should be plenty of cap space available if that's worrying you.

As far as Tunsil goes, give me all pro level players and as many of them as I can get. Either by the draft or trade or FA. It doesn't matter to me. Apparently it matters to you.
You're not answering my questions.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Fair, but I need to look at this and rethink it.

Between Sharping and Howard, I think one guy was drafted too high.

Britt is JAG.

Between him and Cannon, I don't know which guy will get injured first.

I don't mind Tunsil, but the Texans are paying him for what?
Zero chance of going to the big dance.
Might as well save the money for the future.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
I don't mind Tunsil, but the Texans are paying him for what?
Zero chance of going to the big dance.
Might as well save the money for the future.
Except, until this off season, they were paying him for a reason. So is your knock that once they realized things were truly not salvageable with Watson that they didn't immediately trade Tunsil away? Seems like a bit of harsh armchair GMing on your part, but I know that is you doing you.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Except, until this off season, they were paying him for a reason. So is your knock that once they realized things were truly not salvageable with Watson that they didn't immediately trade Tunsil away? Seems like a bit of harsh armchair GMing on your part, but I know that is you doing you.
I don't put a time table on it.
I only said it makes more sense to move him.