Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What is Laremy Tunsil's worth in a trade?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Look at this video clip watch the you throw with good accuracy, some anticipation throws, on the run throws and off script money plays. This is the good now you can post the bad.

Daaaaaaammmmmmnnnnn look at him climb the pocket & deliver accurate throw after accurate throw. At least through the Raider game. Looks like the OL took a big step back after Oakland.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Daaaaaaammmmmmnnnnn look at him climb the pocket & deliver accurate throw after accurate throw. At least through the Raider game. Looks like the OL took a big step back after Oakland.
DW4 was not good in the Oakland game.

He did make a Buffalo play to help win that game.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
They did this after the Atl game.

Figures
When the OL is clicking, DW4 CAN win us a super bowl, he is not the major problem. If these guys stay healthy and they use the slot and RB on rhythm to help get the ball out and coach back out some of his developed bad habits he has had because he had no protection, they will be fine on offense. The pieces are still there without Nuk if the polos do their job. I await DW4 to develop from one of the best playmakers to a more consistent player, but he can get the job done and should get better

I am optimistic Kelly who called the Atlanta game as I understand it, can get this top 10 finally. Where I am less optimistic is if they can rebuild the defense, and Weaver can call games and coach. Here I more hope we go aggressive and not bend/break. Get some turnovers and maybe give up some plays, but I don't think we will have the horses to just stop people consistently.

I see TK sometimes wondering how a middling offense, defense and coach win 10 games, Don't forget the special teams are top 5 and makes a big difference from the crap we used to get there

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
When the OL is clicking, DW4 CAN win us a super bowl, he is not the major problem. If these guys stay healthy and they use the slot and RB on rhythm to help get the ball out and coach back out some of his developed bad habits he has had because he had no protection, they will be fine on offense. The pieces are still there without Nuk if the polos do their job. I await DW4 to develop from one of the best playmakers to a more consistent player, but he can get the job done and should get better

I am optimistic Kelly who called the Atlanta game as I understand it, can get this top 10 finally. Where I am less optimistic is if they can rebuild the defense, and Weaver can call games and coach. Here I more hope we go aggressive and not bend/break. Get some turnovers and maybe give up some plays, but I don't think we will have the horses to just stop people consistently.

I see TK sometimes wondering how a middling offense, defense and coach win 10 games, Don't forget the special teams are top 5 and makes a big difference from the crap we used to get there
Yes he can, will he (Pobabaly not)

Having 2 rookie OC/DC's is worrisome.

ST's are a big part of the game. Look at 2 of the biggest plays in the Chiefs game, (Carter's fumble/ Failed Fake Punt)

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Go back and watch DJ when Palmer was there and tell me what you think. RB's dont make all pro these days without being solid in pass pro.

Then you're not being honest with yourself. Then accept DW4 for what he is and know that there wont be improvement/rings down on Kirby. Regardless of who the HC is.
I admit, I haven't watched alot of David Johnson. But I'm simply stating articles that mentioned David Johnson needs to improve his pass pro. His head coach, and David Johnson himself, mentions pass-pro as something he has to work on.

From Steve Wilks in 2018 (the HC at the time)
Wilks, talking about what Johnson most needs to improve, was blunt. "Just some of his protections in the pass pro," Wilks said. "That's the biggest thing right now."
From April 2017, after his all-pro season
“Basically, I can get better in all aspects,” he said, “but mainly I want to get better at the pass protection. I definitely missed a lot of blocks and missed a lot of linebackers and hurt Carson (Palmer), got him sacked or rush the throw.”

It really is the only supposed hole in his game. It is not something he is yet good at. He has the body and the will to do it, but he has made mistakes. That will come with time.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Yes he can, will he (Pobabaly not)

Having 2 rookie OC/DC's is worrisome.

ST's are a big part of the game. Look at 2 of the biggest plays in the Chiefs game, (Carter's fumble/ Failed Fake Punt)
Like other than the “probably not” part. Why are you so dead set that Watson can’t improve? he has everything you would want in a young QB. he’s very Athletic, very intelligent, has very good leadership skills, Works hard and most importantly, he is a good team mate.

look he is what he is. Yeah he’s not a sit in the pocket and pick you apart with incredible accuracy Guy. But you don’t have to be that to be successful. He s been a winner everywhere hes been. He’s capable of turning any play into a big play. he’s capable of turning any blown play into a big play. Personally I enjoy watching him be him. I just wish he had a coach that would let him do that. A coach that played to his QBs strengths not his ssystem

I get it you don’t like his style but he’s the most exciting QB we’ve had in houston since Steve McNair. You should try and enjoy watching Him while he’s here. Like you say about bob, He ain’t going nowhere soon.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Like other than the “probably not” part. Why are you so dead set that Watson can’t improve? he has everything you would want in a young QB. he’s very Athletic, very intelligent, has very good leadership skills, Works hard and most importantly, he is a good team mate.

look he is what he is. Yeah he’s not a sit in the pocket and pick you apart with incredible accuracy Guy. But you don’t have to be that to be successful. He s been a winner everywhere hes been. He’s capable of turning any play into a big play. he’s capable of turning any blown play into a big play. Personally I enjoy watching him be him. I just wish he had a coach that would let him do that. A coach that played to his QBs strengths not his ssystem

I get it you don’t like his style but he’s the most exciting QB we’ve had in houston since Steve McNair. You should try and enjoy watching Him while he’s here. Like you say about bob, He ain’t going nowhere soon.
I'm enduring both BOB/DW4 era.

You listed the reasons I dont think he will win a SB perfectly.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Fuller is closest thing Watson has to Tyreek Hill. Wonder what happens when his contract is up for renegotiation?

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Draftwire now has Texans taking 2.57 Lloyd Cushenberry LSU and replacing Kelemete.
2.40 CB Jeff Gladney and 3.90 WR Michael Pittman from USC 6'4" 223 4.52 forty and vertical 36.5" compares to Courtland Sutton. Considered a "possession" receiver;football smart & can rub all route trees.

2019: 101 for 1275 yards @ 12.6 with 11 TDs.
Cushenberry looks like a tremendous prospect, but use one of their precious second-round picks on an offensive interior lineman ? I don' get that ?

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
They aren't going to lose Tunsil for atleast 2 more yrs even if he doesn't do a new deal.
Not getting a new contract with Tunsil after that massive price they paid for him ? You know with the inept O'Brien at the controls it could very well work out just that way.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not getting a new contract with Tunsil after that massive price they paid for him ? You know with the inept O'Brien at the controls it could very well work out just that way.
You're worrying about nothing. A new deal will get done at around 20 mil per 5 yrs/100 mil with a large amt of that being guaranteed.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
The hate would be directed towards someone else. Reason being, he wanted Mahomas. And if we would’ve gotten him dude would back him no matter what.
Been around here for years on the draft board and can tell you Mahomas was the overwhelming favorite, so know bias does play a part but Steelbtexan is no hater. Both teams needed a QB and both teams moved way up the board to get them. Interesting scouting community was pretty skeptical about both. NFL.com grade of 5.87 and here is what our very own Lance concluded - BOTTOM LINE
Mahomes is a big, confident quarterback who brings a variety of physical tools to the party, but he's developed some bad habits and doesn't have a very repeatable process as a passer. Mahomes' ability to improvise and extend plays can lead to big plays for his offense, but he will have to prove he can operate with better anticipation and be willing to take what the defense gives him in order to win from the pocket. Mahomes will be a work in progress, but he's a high ceiling, low floor prospect.-Lance Zierlein

Watson's actual draft grade was much higher, 6.80 from Lance and NFL.com so what that tells me is either they completely missed on evaluations or Andy Reid is a much better head coach and QB guru than O'Brian - Overview
Teams will have to weigh the inconsistent field vision and decision-making against his size, athleticism, leadership and production. While not perfect, teams can add checks to both arm and accuracy boxes for Watson. However, discussions about whether or not his areas of improvement can be corrected will likely determine whether a team will view him as a high-upside prospect or a franchise quarterback. Watson's transition from Clemson's offense to a pro-style attack will obviously take time, but his combination of intangibles and athletic ability make him worth a first-round selection.

Far as Tunsil is concerned I was impressed with his play @ Mississippi but not overwhelmed, not your typical west coast pocket LT more suited to SEC ground attacks, drive blocking and sealing off corners. Received a very high draft grade however, elite in fact, 7.50 Texans will wind up way over paying him for his skill set or he will leave for a better fit and more money elsewhere.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Been around here for years on the draft board and can tell you Mahomas was the overwhelming favorite, so know bias does play a part but Steelbtexan is no hater. Both teams needed a QB and both teams moved way up the board to get them. Interesting scouting community was pretty skeptical about both. NFL.com grade of 5.87 and here is what our very own Lance concluded - BOTTOM LINE
Mahomes is a big, confident quarterback who brings a variety of physical tools to the party, but he's developed some bad habits and doesn't have a very repeatable process as a passer. Mahomes' ability to improvise and extend plays can lead to big plays for his offense, but he will have to prove he can operate with better anticipation and be willing to take what the defense gives him in order to win from the pocket. Mahomes will be a work in progress, but he's a high ceiling, low floor prospect.-Lance Zierlein

Watson's actual draft grade was much higher, 6.80 from Lance and NFL.com so what that tells me is either they completely missed on evaluations or Andy Reid is a much better head coach and QB guru than O'Brian - Overview
Teams will have to weigh the inconsistent field vision and decision-making against his size, athleticism, leadership and production. While not perfect, teams can add checks to both arm and accuracy boxes for Watson. However, discussions about whether or not his areas of improvement can be corrected will likely determine whether a team will view him as a high-upside prospect or a franchise quarterback. Watson's transition from Clemson's offense to a pro-style attack will obviously take time, but his combination of intangibles and athletic ability make him worth a first-round selection.

Far as Tunsil is concerned I was impressed with his play @ Mississippi but not overwhelmed, not your typical west coast pocket LT more suited to SEC ground attacks, drive blocking and sealing off corners. Received a very high draft grade however, elite in fact, 7.50 Texans will wind up way over paying him for his skill set or he will leave for a better fit and more money elsewhere.
Lance was spot on in his eval of DW4. Tell me where he's improved in his areas of weakness? You can blame this on BOB but at some point (Yr 3?) you have to think DW4's not going to improve. He's a good QB but not a championship level QB.

Mahomes has always been the more athletically gifted QB, the question on him coming out (same with DW4) is was he a system QB. Mahomes has more tools in his toolbox therefore I thought (Before the time of the draft) he had a better chance to succeed. This has played out exactly as I thought it would before the draft. I said I thought DW4 would be an avg QB and that's what he was last yr.

You can give stats and I will give you the 10 good games/7 bad games stats and that's being generous.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The hate would be directed towards someone else. Reason being, he wanted Mahomas. And if we would’ve gotten him dude would back him no matter what.
This means you have no clue as to what your talking about.

If a guy that I like doesn't live up to my expectations when he was drafted I will admit it. See: Clowney/McKinney/Mercilus

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Good idea Badboy, but that's a move that's too nuanced to expect from Bill O'Brien.
The Texans org has never spent $$$$ in FA. So cutting them really doesn't accomplish much.

For instance I would've cut these guys, signed Suh and drafted a OL or 2 to replace them.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
OB is trying so hard to prove he mastered Beli's methods and system in his very short stay with NE......yet he's proved to be nothing more than bumbling knucklehead trying to live up to the ways of his Jedi master. The league just laughs at him and just waits for him to come knocking.....as a buyer or seller.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
OB is trying so hard to prove he mastered Beli's methods and system in his very short stay with NE......yet he's proved to be nothing more than bumbling knucklehead trying to live up to the ways of his Jedi master. The league just laughs at him and just waits for him to come knocking.....as a buyer or seller.
He reminds me of a Joe Frazier type boxer that takes hits and hopes for a knockout punch. That worked for Joe Frazier for a while. He was actually a champion; not so for O'Brien.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He's doing things that are very Belichickian in his 1st yr where he gets to make all of the calls.

The media doesn't lik Belichick but had to accept him. BOB was trained in the way he treats the media by the master.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Does anyone know if O'Brien was asked in the recent media interview if any progress had been made on Tunsil extension? I did not hear interview and no one on the radio stations have mentioned it.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Does anyone know if O'Brien was asked in the recent media interview if any progress had been made on Tunsil extension? I did not hear interview and no one on the radio stations have mentioned it.
Lots of chatter back and forth, but he said will never talk details like this to the press, so still in progress. LT is repping himself and BOB is coach/GM, I don't like that. I prefer when the agent and GM share the good and bad and the coach/player can keep a good relationship, now BOB has to tell LT every false start and missed run block to whittle value down. Anyway, it still felt "positive" I would say

badboy

Hall of Fame
Maybe Laremy type of guy who wants truth?

Obrien " look buddy you seen the film you know what it is. I can make you better perhaps an All Pro. Watson, this team, our Fans depend on you to not only get us to Super Bowl but to a dynasty. I offered 18.5 and you countered with 22. Let's meet at 20 and get this season started! Heck, you might even get an ice cream commercial. I hear they are fazing the other guy out."

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Maybe Laremy type of guy who wants truth?

Obrien " look buddy you seen the film you know what it is. I can make you better perhaps an All Pro. Watson, this team, our Fans depend on you to not only get us to Super Bowl but to a dynasty. I offered 18.5 and you countered with 22. Let's meet at 20 and get this season started! Heck, you might even get an ice cream commercial. I hear they are fazing the other guy out."
Where both the Head Coach & GM functions are vested in a single person it's clearly a bad arrangement at several levels and especially where
the HC-GM is the organizations negotiator on a new contract particularly when it's directly with the player and not his agent.
O'Brien is a man who's short on patience and very hot tempered which has been on public display numerous times so he's just the opposite personality type that one would want negotiating contracts.
In negotiations O'Brien could alienate Tunsil or vise versa and then when they return to the practice field and game field when they have to work with each other, well like I said it's just a bad arrangement.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Where both the Head Coach & GM functions are vested in a single person it's clearly a bad arrangement at several levels and especially where
the HC-GM is the organizations negotiator on a new contract particularly when it's directly with the player and not his agent.
O'Brien is a man who's short on patience and very hot tempered which has been on public display numerous times so he's just the opposite personality type that one would want negotiating contracts.
In negotiations O'Brien could alienate Tunsil or vise versa and then when they return to the practice field and game field when they have to work with each other, well like I said it's just a bad arrangement.
What is the obvious fallacy about your post? McNair and O'Brien do not agree. Not attacking you but we posters are getting nowhere clambering about what we want and what is "right" in the rest of the world. It only matters what Bill and CAL think. If we want to maybe figure out what Bill is thinking and where we are going, we need to try to see from Bill's view. It doesn't matter that I wanted #12 and #18 and RB Josh Jacobs and OLB Maxx Crosby as a negotiating start point from Raiders.

Is OB really negotiating contracts or is that falling on Kevin Krajcovic since Chris Olsen is gone?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Obrien " look buddy you seen the film you know what it is. I can make you better perhaps an All Pro."
Nah... BO'b be like, "What up... I see your $22M, I counter with $18.5 & a gas mask, take it or leave it, I'll trade your as to Cleveland.

Remember Clowney, remember Hopkins, what?"

badboy

Hall of Fame
Bump as 2021 draft approaching and time to rebuild is here. I am not anti- Tunsil but trading him can bring us a significant package AND lower cap: $9.75m dead but saving $9.65m. I would not be opposed to keeping him and if we get a Sewell or Darrisaw for LT, Tunsil to LG.
I do think there are LTs available round one and two but I think teams I would trade with would want a pro bowler last two seasons on very good contract $16m , $18 m and $18.5.

I will be posting in my thread 2021 off season soon about teams I project L.T. to.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Some want to trade a 25 yr old pro bowl LT, when they may be drafting a rookie QB. Why? The rookie QB unlike Carr/DW4 will be better protected in his NFL formative yrs. I swear some people like history to repeat itself. Trade Tunsil and get the new QB beat up just like they did with Carr/DW4. SMDH

BTW, they are going to have plenty of cap room and can make more cap room if necessary.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Bump as 2021 draft approaching and time to rebuild is here. I am not anti- Tunsil but trading him can bring us a significant package AND lower cap: $9.75m dead but saving $9.65m. I would not be opposed to keeping him and if we get a Sewell or Darrisaw for LT, Tunsil to LG.
I do think there are LTs available round one and two but I think teams I would trade with would want a pro bowler last two seasons on very good contract $16m , $18 m and $18.5.

I will be posting in my thread 2021 off season soon about teams I project L.T. to.
Horrible, horrible plan, so you are going to draft a rookie LT that may or may not be any good, and even if he is linemen are notorious for having to take longer to adjust to NFL level play, stick him in at LT and move your 2 time pro bowl LT to LG? On top of this you are going to do it while you might either have a rookie QB you hope can be a franchise guy OR the QB that has learned to trust Tunsil to guard his blind side? Thats some Bill O'Brien level planning right there.

I'm not opposed to trading Tunsil if the offer and situation is right, namely if we trade Watson but go with a bridge QB this next off season but he would be the last one I'm looking to trade right now. Not the least of all because he seems to want to be here. Not only that but you are going to have to use a high draft pick to get any LT remotely on his level, Miami got a steal with him at 13, so that means somewhere else, most likely defense, is going to lose out on a game changing player.

BB I know you like to get draft packages and load up on as many draft picks as possible but at some point you have to actually keep good players, even if high priced, on the team. We already have to rebuild the WR group, the RB group, several on the Offensive line and the entire defense and yeah we can do some of that with a Tunsil trade but we are robbing Peter to pay Paul.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Horrible, horrible plan, so you are going to draft a rookie LT that may or may not be any good, and even if he is linemen are notorious for having to take longer to adjust to NFL level play, stick him in at LT and move your 2 time pro bowl LT to LG? On top of this you are going to do it while you might either have a rookie QB you hope can be a franchise guy OR the QB that has learned to trust Tunsil to guard his blind side? Thats some Bill O'Brien level planning right there.

I'm not opposed to trading Tunsil if the offer and situation is right, namely if we trade Watson but go with a bridge QB this next off season but he would be the last one I'm looking to trade right now. Not the least of all because he seems to want to be here. Not only that but you are going to have to use a high draft pick to get any LT remotely on his level, Miami got a steal with him at 13, so that means somewhere else, most likely defense, is going to lose out on a game changing player.

BB I know you like to get draft packages and load up on as many draft picks as possible but at some point you have to actually keep good players, even if high priced, on the team. We already have to rebuild the WR group, the RB group, several on the Offensive line and the entire defense and yeah we can do some of that with a Tunsil trade but we are robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Understand your point of view but totally disagree. I believe that laremy tunsil could have played much better in 2020 and think that he might be a hesitant for lack of a better word left tackle in 2021 especially with a different QB. There are two tackles that are considered Plug and Play game 1 in Penei Sewell and in my opinion Christian darisaw. Also as I said I am not opposed to keeping to Tunsil but moving him inside.

Putting a strong but young oline in front of Wilson or Tua will not be a too great sacrifice.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Point 2 with David Johnson and Brandin Cooks New Deals that eliminate rebuilding two of the areas you mentioned. I do expect draft picks for both but not draft day 1.
Penei or Darrisaw round one plus a center round two and prob a guard somewhere, we will have a pretty good offensive line.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Understand your point of view but totally disagree. I believe that laremy tunsil could have played much better in 2020 and think that he might be a hesitant for lack of a better word left tackle in 2021 especially with a different QB. There are two tackles that are considered Plug and Play game 1 in Penei Sewell and in my opinion Christian darisaw. Also as I said I am not opposed to keeping to Tunsil but moving him inside.

Putting a strong but young oline in front of Wilson or Tua will not be a too great sacrifice.
Tunsil was a pro bowl and allowed two sacks all season one of which was Miles Garret, how much better could he really have been? He wasn't hesitant the year he was traded and he had much more reason to be mad and not care at that point. Likewise he's got his money so I don't think he really cares who the QB is either. fact is mobile QBs like Watson do make things harder on lines than pocket passers do because you have to constantly adjust not only for the defense but where your QB might run to as well. So while I think Tunsil likes Watson and likes playing with him and may even overall support him I don't think he has the great love affair like Hopkins and Watson. Also I don't care what they are rated or considered when was the last time you saw a tackle, particularly a LT, that was actually plug and play? The speed deference between NFL defenses and even the best college defenses is so different its not even funny. Tunsil is also young and just entering the prime of his career. Again he's expensive yes but so is any proven LT and right now Tunsil is the anchor of that line and the one spot the new coach won't have to try and improve.

badboy

Hall of Fame
$22m & $27m cap hits for the next two years for a guard ? ..... No Thanks.
Just to clarify those are not the salary cap hits for laremy tunsil for 21 and 22. Also stated that I would prefer a trade that would cut half of his salary off the salary cap.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Tunsil was a pro bowl and allowed two sacks all season one of which was Miles Garret, how much better could he really have been? He wasn't hesitant the year he was traded and he had much more reason to be mad and not care at that point. Likewise he's got his money so I don't think he really cares who the QB is either. fact is mobile QBs like Watson do make things harder on lines than pocket passers do because you have to constantly adjust not only for the defense but where your QB might run to as well. So while I think Tunsil likes Watson and likes playing with him and may even overall support him I don't think he has the great love affair like Hopkins and Watson. Also I don't care what they are rated or considered when was the last time you saw a tackle, particularly a LT, that was actually plug and play? The speed deference between NFL defenses and even the best college defenses is so different its not even funny. Tunsil is also young and just entering the prime of his career. Again he's expensive yes but so is any proven LT and right now Tunsil is the anchor of that line and the one spot the new coach won't have to try and improve.
Again I get your point of view but if I can get either of the packages I mentioned he is a goner. I have never seen a left tackle coming out of college the skillful as Sewell.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Again I get your point of view but if I can get either of the packages I mentioned he is a goner. I have never seen a left tackle coming out of college the skillful as Sewell.
I can't speak to Sewell, never watched him, but its the same as the Watson argument, a proven thing vs a might be good. Which do you go with given the choice?

badboy

Hall of Fame
I can't speak to Sewell, never watched him, but its the same as the Watson argument, a proven thing vs a might be good. Which do you go with given the choice?
In this situation, with Watson leaving, rebuild, veterans being cut that we could use cap space on without a doubt I'm taking Sewell over Tunsil.