Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What Grade Did Caserio Get on Watson Trade?

supersid

Practice Squad
Christ almighty I can't believe some of the people in this thread. We're rid of Watson, we got a shitload of picks, we have a HC who's been a HC in a SB before. WTF else do yall want? There hasn't been this much reason for optimism in freaking decades. I don't know what they'll do with all of it, but damn this off season has more potential to it than we've had in years.
Amen

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Christ almighty I can't believe some of the people in this thread. We're rid of Watson, we got a shitload of picks, we have a HC who's been a HC in a SB before. WTF else do yall want? There hasn't been this much reason for optimism in freaking decades. I don't know what they'll do with all of it, but damn this off season has more potential to it than we've had in years.
This x 100.
Glad someone has the stones to put it like that.

Jack Burton

Veteran
And all we all see is one maybe two posters who will whine, biotch, piss and moan about anything to do with the Houston Texans.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
And all we all see is one maybe two posters who will whine, biotch, piss and moan about anything to do with the Houston Texans.
I take offense. Perhaps you aren’t talking about me.

I’m pro Texans, at least I think I am. I’m not very high on Cal. I’m not very high on Caserio.

I’m optimistic about Lovie Smith (a very happy accident). I’m optimistic that he will get much needed premium talent on defense & the little improvement we saw last year (with a net loss in talent) will be multiplied 10 fold.

I’m optimistic the Texans will fix the run game if only because David Johnson won’t be taking up a roster spot.

I’m optimistic about Davis Mills. I think he should be afforded every opportunity to succeed that Mac Jones will get in New England.

I just don’t think Nick Caserio is the football guy I want running this franchise. & if Cal actually stepped in & told Nick who his HC would be & to roll over to get Watson gone ASAP, Cal also lost faith in Nick.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
and let’s be fair, we ALL give it to the team when they deserve it, we all piss, ***** and moan etc but there‘s just no longer anything about this to be upset about. I think we all agree we would’ve all liked a 2nd or a player added but it’s been stated over and over and over why we really should be good with this and move on. It’s odd some have their heels that dug in, not calling anyone out, to each their own but damn

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
and let’s be fair, we ALL give it to the team when they deserve it, we all piss, ***** and moan etc but there‘s just no longer anything about this to be upset about. I think we all agree we would’ve all liked a 2nd or a player added but it’s been stated over and over and over why we really should be good with this and move on. It’s odd some have their heels that dug in, not calling anyone out, to each their own but damn
Exactly.
As the saying goes, it's ancient history now.

Texansballer74

The Marine

I’m pro Texans, at least I think I am. I’m not very high on Cal. I’m not very high on Caserio.

I’m optimistic about Lovie Smith (a very happy accident). I’m optimistic that he will get much needed premium talent on defense & the little improvement we saw last year (with a net loss in talent) will be multiplied 10 fold.

I’m optimistic the Texans will fix the run game if only because David Johnson won’t be taking up a roster spot.

I’m optimistic about Davis Mills. I think he should be afforded every opportunity to succeed that Mac Jones will get in New England.

I just don’t think Nick Caserio is the football guy I want running this franchise. & if Cal actually stepped in & told Nick who his HC would be & to roll over to get Watson gone ASAP, Cal also lost faith in Nick.
I don’t think he’s talking about you brother Thunder.

I don’t think that should be a knock on Caserio. He came into quite a few sticky situation. One being the Watson situation. And the other one being the Jack Easterby situation. Cal gave Jack that much power. In which caused a power struggle that Cal has to make a decision.

Texazan

Our HOF 34

Who did what when is so far down the road it just doesn’t matter anymore to me anymore, I now want RESULTS. I can’t change it and I have no say so this is who they are but damn it go out and show me positive results, draft we’ll and let’s start to win games, get better. If they do that great. I won’t care if they hire Pippi Longstocking as long as they win.

Texazan

Our HOF 34

Liked and quoted because you ARE a true fan. 99% of us here are. It ain’t easy but we are. We all have that in common.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
go out and show me positive results, draft we’ll and let’s start to win games, get better. If they do that great.
Drafting players is only part of it.

player retention is another part & that’s where I believe we’ll continue to struggle. We don’t have the benefit of a GOAT coach or QB. Nick will have to be able to deal with player-agents as equals.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Caserio was charged with getting the best deal possible for Derrick and he did a fine job He's also making the final calls on the draft, per his contract.

I've got more faith in Caserio and his 20 years in Foxboro than a 63 yr old Lovie who has failed at his last 2 stops Illinois/Tampa.

But yep, Lovie is a Calhoun hire not a Caserio hire, so if this fails then you can directly blame the liars that are Janice and her spawn Calhoun McNair.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Drafting players is only part of it.

player retention is another part & that’s where I believe we’ll continue to struggle. We don’t have the benefit of a GOAT coach or QB. Nick will have to be able to deal with player-agents as equals.
What makes you think this?

Has Caserio not been able to retain the guys he wanted to retain this off-season?

Porky

Hall of Fame
I guess I’ll whine some more. Seattle handled the Wilson NTC properly. The Texans did not imho.

while I am happy overall with the trade parameters and have stated such, that completely misses the point.

I like to say never ignore in victory what you would not in defeat.

while the end result was satisfactory, that doesn’t absolve the Texans from scrutiny. Light is always the best disinfectant. How does this impact future trades, if any? What precedents does it set here and league wide. How could have it been handled better, if at all. Asking these questions and exploring possible alternatives isn’t antithetical to being a Texans fan, it’s the very thing that makes us hardcore fans. Blind faith that doesn’t demand excellence isn’t and never has been an answer. These people answer to us - the fans. Without us, they are nothing.

some of y’all just want to enjoy your breakfast sausage and I get that. But I’m more interested in how that sausage was made before it hit your plate. Process matters folks. Stop eating your sausage for a moment and demand to know how that pig was slaughtered.

Jack Burton

Veteran

And I’m not optimistic you’ll stop whining about it.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I didn’t say they did. I’m saying Watson called Atlanta & eventually went to Cleveland are evidence that what the trading team gave up wasn’t as important as they made it out to be. They were bluffing, talking tuff & in effect bullying Nick Caserio

Let's put this myth to rest.

The Texans DO NOT want Watson on this team. Once he was accused of 30something sex crimes he was out the door. His trade demand is irrelevant - This divorce is mutually desired.
We don't want you , you don't want to be here.

Watson states he wont go to a team who has to pay a heavy price to acquire him ....

Caserio - Not so fast, I hold your rights and you can only talk to who I give you permission to. This cancels any power Watson held over what the trade compensation ultimately is.

Caserio dictated the process by telling teams they had to meet his asking price to gain access to Watson and his agent - Otherwise its tampering and the offending team can suffer penalties. Meet my price, gain access. Don't meet my price you cannot meet with the player.

Each of those 4 teams made offers that met Caserio's minimum standard and the Texans will take the package from the team Watson chooses - They are ALL Satisfactory.

Now Watson is free to negotiate among those 4 teams and only those 4 teams.

The going back and forth between Atlanta & Cleveland was Mulageta strong arming those two franchises, NOT the Texans - the Texans had already made agreements with both teams and those did not change. Mulageta did not negotiate with the Texans. The Texans dictated to Mulugheta who he could do business with.

The only thing that changed was what those teams were willing to give Watson. Cleveland was willing to give Watson more than any of the others. That's where he went. The Texans got the package that was already agreed upon.

Saying Caserio was bullied or bluffed when he dictated His terms is simply wrong.

Its Cleveland who got bullied into giving him that contract. I don't care if Cleveland got bullied. The more Cleveland pays Watson the better for the other 31 teams ....

Last edited:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I guess I’ll whine some more. Seattle handled the Wilson NTC properly. The Texans did not imho.

while I am happy overall with the trade parameters and have stated such, that completely misses the point.

while the end result was satisfactory, that doesn’t absolve the Texans from scrutiny. Light is always the best disinfectant. How does this impact future trades, if any? What precedents does it set here and league wide. How could have it been handled better, if at all. Asking these questions and exploring possible alternatives isn’t antithetical to being a Texans fan, it’s the very thing that makes us hardcore fans. Blind faith that doesn’t demand excellence isn’t and never has been an answer. These people answer to us - the fans. Without us, they are nothing.

some of y’all just want to enjoy your breakfast sausage and I get that. But I’m more interested in how that sausage was made before it hit your plate. Process matters folks. Stop eating your sausage for a moment and demand to know how that pig was slaughtered.

Tell us, how could Caserio have handled this situation better?

He had a guy who openly stated would sabotage his return by exercising his NTC. Yet he got that return ... and had 4 teams lined up that would all meet or exceed his asking price.

Those other teams didn't have players state openly they would sabotage the what the team got in return, they were simply satisfied with getting out of their broken relationships and going to teams that were satisfactory to them.

Tell us how you would have done it better.

The clown show here is Watson & Mulugheta .... and the league letting him get away with it after all that's occurred and he caused.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Has Caserio not been able to retain the guys he wanted to retain this off-season?
He let Watt go for nothing

He let Roby go for nothing

He let Ingram go for nothing

He let Cobb go for nothing

He let Cunningham go for nothing

He let Watson walk all over him

Guys who can't find a better deal, yeah he can retain them. Murray, Driskel, & Burkhead...

Again, on their own, none of these are anything. But together & with the Watson trade, I'm afraid the Texans are at a huge disadvantage. A pattern has emerged.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club

Guys who can't find a better deal, yeah he can retain them. Murray, Driskel, & Burkhead...

Again, on their own, none of these are anything. But together & with the Watson trade, I'm afraid the Texans are at a huge disadvantage. A pattern has emerged.
In Watts case I feel that was more a respect thing. The others, maybe they were a cancer waiting to emerge. (Think Watt was on the verge himself but it looked better to let him go than an ugly battle given his history with Houston)

I don't have to like the moves the Texans make. I dont even care if NC trades all our picks for his entire remaining time here for one player.

As I have said before, I would rather see accountability than moves I agree with.

I'm a fool, I would rather not agree with every move they make. I am more a fan of giving a man enough rope to either do the job you paid him for.... or... enough to hang himself without excuses.

The pattern that concerns me far more than letting players go cheap or "nothing" is what we saw with OB and his ability to fail up. I don’t EVER want to see that again.

Im a fan of giving a man enough rope, not allowing him to convince the rope factory it should be made of cotton candy.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The official board actually became this board probably at least 10 years ago now. I don't remember the reason the Texans didn't like hosting a message board at this moment.
The Texans didn't see message boards as a money making venture. After they switched hosting companies, nothing worked right and the Texans did not want to put in the money to assign a company executive to specifically update, correct and monitor/troubleshoot the software or that segment of their website. They never properly supported or promoted the concept of a message board. Measuring the temp of the fan base was not felt to be important. HoustonTexans.com MB died a planned agonizingly slow death.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame

Watt was an owner move. They wanted to let the best player in franchise history go wherever he wanted. Although now that the NFL has gone full NBA this offseason I would have preferred they “allow” teams to negotiate with Watt after making an offer to Texans like with WD40.

He got a 3rd for Roby which turned into the #80 overall pick. This was a good move in that it allowed younger players to get an opportunity to prove they could play and helped “the tank” this past season. Roby wasn’t going to be part of team’s long term plans.

Agree on Ingram. He was the only back that was somewhat productive besides the Burkhead Chargers game.

He actually got SOMETHING for Cobb and his ridiculous contract thanks to Rodgers. That’s a win.

Cunningham and Mercilus had untradeable contracts and no MVP bff demanding their team acquire them.

Watson trade was quite a haul considering the circumstances (NTC, 22 civil suits).

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Again TK do you not understand how a NTC works? Seriously asking because you keep making it sound like they could make Watson waive it prior to a trade actually being made. The NTC was not actually waived till Sunday when the deal officially passed the league approvals. Before that literally at anytime Watson could have backed out with just a word. Watson was the first to weaponize it like this but the potential was always there.
I've repeatedly explained.

Texian

Hall of Fame
but these people are calling it a dark cloudy rainy day when in reality it’s an obvious bright blue clear sunny day.
Nope, just saying (3) 1st RDs was a given. There would've been no deal w/o (3) ones. Last Fall before the trade deadline the Texans wanted an additional (2) 2nd RDs. This Spring Caserio's opening bid didn't mention a two. The Watson trade was like the Roby trade, Caserio left money on the table. If Caserio had come away with those two twos, then he would have done what he said he was going to do and what was expected from him. Give him an A+. He didn't do that. He started the bidding considerably lower. Caserio gets an A for the (3) 1s, and he gets a D for not getting two twos. Final Grade C+ or B-.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Process matters

How do you fix the process? Don't give out anymore NTC's. Also deal with agents like Mulaghetta when you absolutely have too. If it's close between 2 draftable players, take the guy who isn't represented by Mulaghetta. If you have to draft a Mulaghetta client, then do what Belichick does and trade the player a yr early.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Watt was an owner move. They wanted to let the best player in franchise history go wherever he wanted. Although now that the NFL has gone full NBA this offseason I would have preferred they “allow” teams to negotiate with Watt after making an offer to Texans like with WD40.

He got a 3rd for Roby which turned into the #80 overall pick. This was a good move in that it allowed younger players to get an opportunity to prove they could play and helped “the tank” this past season. Roby wasn’t going to be part of team’s long term plans.

Agree on Ingram. He was the only back that was somewhat productive besides the Burkhead Chargers game.

He actually got SOMETHING for Cobb and his ridiculous contract thanks to Rodgers. That’s a win.

Cunningham and Mercilus had untradeable contracts and no MVP bff demanding their team acquire them.

Watson trade was quite a haul considering the circumstances (NTC, 22 civil suits).
Understand & agree on all points

Sort of. Many were complaining after all these moves, I held my tongue. Now, I'm not. Like I said, each one on their own don't amount to anything. All together it points to something that is not good for the long-term. In fact, I'm almost convinced we're wasting time, waiting until Cal chooses someone else to "run" this team.

I understand Watt was an owner/respect thing. & if he wanted to play with his brothers, or closer to his girlfriend, I was fine with that.

But when he signed for the most money he could get .. bad taste in my mouth & I'd rather the Texans did what the Falcons did with Matt Ryan. Put him on a team that could compete & get something in return.

Arizona isn't going to compete, especially not in that division. Yeah, they looked good for a while there, but fell on their face. That's who they are. Smoke & mirrors.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Quoted for truth

Cunningham was cut after being suspended a 2nd time. He has to go. Mercilus had no trade value

Roby was a good trade. I'm looking forward to seeing who Caserio picks at 80 or if he packages 80 and 108 to move up into the bottom of the 2nd Rd

Ingram was a good trade because Caserio was able to get something for Ingram and it helped with the tank.

Caserio was very lucky to get anything for Cobb.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Or you can find an adult who can sit at the big table & speak when adults are talking. Like Seattle has, or Atlanta.
What I suggested makes sure the Calhoun's are never in this position again. Are you opposed to this and if so why?

Caserio wasn't in the room Mulaghetta and Derrick were in the room. Why? Because when Caserio was in the room he put down the parameters of what he would accept in a deal. Very adult way of handling things. The other franchises agreed to his terms. Caserio definitely sat down and hammered out a deal with these franchises. He left it up to Mulaghetta and Derrick to get the best deal financially that they could get. The best deal money wise Mulaghetta could get was with the Brown's and the rest is history.

When you say adult in the room, how would you have liked Caserio to have handled this situation? He got what he wanted in the deal for the most part.

Last edited:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Other players with NTCs have never been given the privilege to talk to other teams.
No player has ever signed a $160m contract , demanded a trade 6 weeks later AND been accused of 30something counts of sex crimes.

Another Mulugheta client with a NTC was allowed to seek his own trade just the year before. remember Jalen Ramsey ???

Players and agents working out deals isn't out of the ordinary. They know it has to be acceptable to both sides .... or the deal doesn't go down.

In this case, Watson tried to weaponize that NTC and save his new team assets and Caserio shut that crap down.

But since you seem to think they could have done it better, tell us what you would have done?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Another Mulugheta client with a NTC was allowed to seek his own trade just the year before. remember Jalen Ramsey ???
Not what I remember

“My first thought was, he (Jaguars general manager Dave Caldwell) traded me to the Chargers,” Ramsey said. “And I’m thinking I’m going to be with my dawg Derwin James and be with Gus Bradley. But then was told it was the Rams.”
He was ready to go anywhere but Jacksonville.

He also re did his contract with the Rams after the trade. Like it’s normally done. Caldwell found a trade partner, Jalen was traded, contract extension negotiated months after the trade.
Players and agents working out deals isn't out of the ordinary.
During FA. Not trades. Watson’s contract was supposed to be a selling point. I’m not going to go back & find the posts, but I believe you were one of the posters listing it as a selling point.
In this case, Watson tried to weaponize that NTC and save his new team assets and Caserio shut that crap down
I disagree.
But since you seem to think they could have done it better, tell us what you would have done?
They should have done it the way Seattle did it.

Y’all keep saying he couldn’t because of a bunch of reasons that don’t make sense.

we know he would have played for Atlanta. Atlanta was willing to ruin their relationship with their long time QB & ante up.

I don’t know what the other teams would have been. So while we may never know, we know about Atlanta

Texian

Hall of Fame
Jimmy and Andrew, the trade demands for DeShaun Watson remain the same as they were from last year, (3) 1st RDs and (2) 2nd RDs. If you want the opportunity today to meet with DeShaun Watson to discuss a trade, you first have to agree that you will meet our trade request and be able to trade (3) 1st RDs and (2) 2nd RD draft picks.

Since we're now at a point where the full draft order has been established for 2022, we will insist on the following trade agreement should DeShaun Watson waive his NTC and agree to be traded to the Cleveland Browns: 1. The Cleveland Browns will trade to the Houston Texans their first round, #13 draft pick in the 2022 NFL draft. 2. The Cleveland Browns will trade to the Houston Texans their second round, #44 pick in the 2022 NFL draft. 3. The Cleveland Browns will trade to the Houston Texans their 1st RD pick in the 2023 NFL draft. 4. The Cleveland Browns will trade to the Houston Texans their second-round draft pick in the 2023 NFL Draft. 5. The Cleveland Browns will trade to the Houston Texans their first-round draft pick in the 2024 NFL draft.

If you're agreeable to these terms and conditions, then you've our permission to speak with DeShaun Watson about a trade. If you do not agree to the terms and conditions, then the Houston Texans will NOT grant the Cleveland Browns permission to speak with DeShaun Watson. This trade will be filed with the league office with the following contingencies attached, DeShaun Watson waives his NTC for the Cleveland Browns, the Browns accept, at which point this trade becomes final.

Last edited:

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Now Watson is free to negotiate among those 4 teams and only those 4 teams.
This is the part that trips people up as well as myself. I think, myself included, believe Caserio could broker a 3 deals and tell Watson to pick one.

Why couldn’t it work that way?

Why would Caserio give Watson the option to negotiate between those teams and not Caserio negotiate between those teams?

Was that because of the NTC? Did Caserio have to give that leverage away?

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Jimmy and Andrew, the trade demands for DeShaun Watson remain the same as they were from last year, (3) 1st RDs and (2) 2nd RDs. If you want the opportunity today to meet with DeShaun Watson to discuss a trade, you first have to agree that you will meet our trade request and be able to trade (3) 1st RDs and (2) 2nd RD draft picks.

Since we're now at a point where the full draft order has been established for 2022, we will insist on the following trade agreement should DeShaun Watson waive his NTC and agree to be traded to the Cleveland Browns: 1. The Cleveland Browns will trade to the Houston Texans their first round, #13 draft pick in the 2022 NFL draft. 2. The Cleveland Browns will trade to the Houston Texans their second round, #44 pick in the 2022 NFL draft. 3. The Cleveland Browns will trade to the Houston Texans their 1st RD pick in the 2023 NFL draft. 4. The Cleveland Browns will trade to the Houston Texans their second-round draft pick in the 2023 NFL Draft. 5. The Cleveland Browns will trade to the Houston Texans their first-round draft pick in the 2024 NFL draft.

If you're agreeable to these terms and conditions, then you've our permission to speak with DeShaun Watson about a trade. If you do not agree to the terms and conditions, then you're granted permission by the Houston Texans to speak with DeShaun Watson.
You have no idea where those seconds would be in the upcoming draft and neither do you know where the picks we did land will go.
Therefore, your point is moot.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

If you're agreeable to these terms and conditions, then you've our permission to speak with DeShaun Watson about a trade. If you do not agree to the terms and conditions, then you're granted permission by the Houston Texans to speak with DeShaun Watson.
This is what Caserio did.

He just had a different value than you did.

It was fair value considering Caserio was trading a Sexual Predator.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
They should have done it the way Seattle did it.

Y’all keep saying he couldn’t because of a bunch of reasons that don’t make sense.

we know he would have played for Atlanta. Atlanta was willing to ruin their relationship with their long time QB & ante up.

I don’t know what the other teams would have been. So while we may never know, we know about Atlanta
They couldn’t do it the way Seattle did it because Wilson wanted different goals. For one he wanted to go to a team to win- not get paid. He didn’t ask for more guaranteed money. He also was more amicable in the dealings. Seattle and Wilson were working toward the best solution for each other vs Watson’s selfish demands.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This is the part that trips people up as well as myself
What trips me up is that never before, in the history of the NFL has a player had this much influence in a trade who wasn't tendered with a franchise tag.

Never had a disgruntled player been able to negotiate the terms of a new contract before his trade.

Never.

I can't imagine why the first player to ever do so would be one with a pending GJ hearing & 22 sexual misconduct civil charges.

& we're OK with it

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

Caserio was charged with getting the best deal possible for Derrick and he did a fine job He's also making the final calls on the draft, per his contract.

I've got more faith in Caserio and his 20 years in Foxboro than a 63 yr old Lovie who has failed at his last 2 stops Illinois/Tampa.

But yep, Lovie is a Calhoun hire not a Caserio hire, so if this fails then you can directly blame the liars that are Janice and her spawn Calhoun McNair.
Cal was named in a lawsuit and was/is getting sued for discrimination. He wanted no part in that.

He lucked into having a better African American coach already on the team.

He was smart to step in and hire Lovie.

Think about this - having to deal with both Brian Flores’ lawsuit and Watson’s trade the Texans navigated both and came out pretty lucky. Could be worse. A lot worse.

And not a whole lot better really.

I will take it.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
What trips me up is that never before, in the history of the NFL has a player had this much influence in a trade who wasn't tendered with a franchise tag.

Never had a disgruntled player been able to negotiate the terms of a new contract before his trade.

Never.

I can't imagine why the first player to ever do so would be one with a pending GJ hearing & 22 sexual misconduct civil charges.

& we're OK with it
Im not okay with it as a practice, but its the NFL.. everything in it is ass backwards and has been for a long time.

I AM okay with the haul though because I know the diva we traded for a historic haul of picks (maybe more could have been gotten if NC wasn't a doormat, maybe he blows the deal if his ego and greed is the size of Watson's ego and the deal is squandered and we get nothing essentially replaying 2021 before we can even pretend to move on and 2 years removed from the field his value is far less.

A lot of things have gone into making the NFL the dumpster fire it is..... but I spent to long watching my home team to stop just yet because the politics, ego and generational whininess has taken over.

I want to be entertained with a good competitive hometown team. Its not my concern which direction the players, owners or Goodell want to bend it (NFL) over and Watson it.

IF it gets far too unpleasant I will just walk away entirely, I did when the Oilers left a man without a pro team.... can get by just fine if they push me to far away.

I have no doubt the Browns regret this more and so the grade for the trade is a win. What it does to the league and future contracts and all the rest. Those have been heading the wrong direction BEFORE NC did anything under the Texans logo.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
They couldn’t do it the way Seattle did it because Wilson wanted different goals
I really couldn't care less what Watson wanted.

I know he wanted to play in Atlanta. Why do I care if they would guarantee the 4th & 5th year of his contract?

Same thing with Carolina. Supposedly he'd have been a Panther if they would have guaranteed those final years...

Why should Nick care? Ship him to Carolina, then they can negotiate. Send him to New Orleans.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

I know he wanted to play in Atlanta. Why do I care if they would guarantee the 4th & 5th year of his contract?

Same thing with Carolina. Supposedly he'd have been a Panther if they would have guaranteed those final years...

Why should Nick care? Ship him to Carolina, then they can negotiate. Send him to New Orleans.
How do you get him to waive the NTC in that scenario?

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

Never.

& we're OK with it

I think Nick only worked as hard as Cal made him. Cal was content on the 3 first and other assets being picks or players.

Cal didn’t want to get the maximum and twist the knife or exert any power he had.

He wanted Watson gone maybe as much as Watson wanted guaranteed money.

This was the type of divorce where a spouse was willing to give up more instead of more fighting.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
How do you get him to waive the NTC in that scenario?
This, unless you have him signing over his NTC for any of a group of teams....his words I doubt of who he "said" he would waive it for would be legally binding if he "conveniently changed his mind."

The fact that the NTC exists without an escape clause still baffles me.

High priced lawyers draft up these contracts and not one cared to put one in?