Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Well, the GM search is on!

If you want Caserio give up the draft pick to get him. Atleast that's what the good orgs like the Kraft/ Pats did when they hired BB away from the NYJ's.

You are WAY over simplifying that whole deal. First the Pats didn't "give up" anything it was basically the settlement so both parties could move on. Second BB wanted out of NY so badly it hurt to the point he resigned at the press conference to announce his hiring and then filed a lawsuit when the Jets tried to block it. Lastly in the middle of all this the Jets team was actually sold and the new owners didn't want to start out with this giant sh!t show.

This was not a case of New England called up the Jets and made an offer. This was a case of NE and BB completely screwing over the Jets and then getting taken to the wood shed for it. It ultimately worked out better for them but at the time lots of people were thinking they were idiots for putting all this into one hire. Hell if it hadn't been that Tom Brady fell into their laps so quickly after it might still be thought that way today.

This breaks the whole thing down.

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/bill-belichick-new-england-patriots-trade-new-york-jets/

Comparing the deal the Texans had with the Pats over Caserio to what the Pats and BB did to Jets is like comparing a Black Cat to a stick of dynamite.

Second BB wanted out of NY so badly it hurt to the point he resigned at the press conference to announce his hiring and then filed a lawsuit when the Jets tried to block it. Lastly in the middle of all this the Jets team was actually sold and the new owners didn't want to start out with this giant sh!t show

& it was a lateral move where we're offering Caserio a promotion & who in the heck has a "no interview" clause written into their contract?

What does a GM actually do in-season?
keeps tabs on free agents that are available when injuries pop up.
I seem to recall, they'd bring in available street guys in for workouts when the rest of the team was off.

As someone pointed out, Gaine brought in Demaryius Thomas when Fuller when down.

Is that something that can't be done with Olsen/OB?
Olsen is responsible for making sure we could pay the guys and making contracts as team-favorable as possible.
I'd rather Olsen keep doing that function (he seems to be good at it) and not also add to his 'plate' having to digest scouting reports and arrange/evaluate F/A workouts plus work the phones for potential trade partners. We have no idea if he's any good at that or if he has the necessary 'old boy' network for trade possibilities.

Last edited:
You are WAY over simplifying that whole deal. First the Pats didn't "give up" anything it was basically the settlement so both parties could move on. Second BB wanted out of NY so badly it hurt to the point he resigned at the press conference to announce his hiring and then filed a lawsuit when the Jets tried to block it. Lastly in the middle of all this the Jets team was actually sold and the new owners didn't want to start out with this giant sh!t show.

This was not a case of New England called up the Jets and made an offer. This was a case of NE and BB completely screwing over the Jets and then getting taken to the wood shed for it. It ultimately worked out better for them but at the time lots of people were thinking they were idiots for putting all this into one hire. Hell if it hadn't been that Tom Brady fell into their laps so quickly after it might still be thought that way today.

This breaks the whole thing down.

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/bill-belichick-new-england-patriots-trade-new-york-jets/

Comparing the deal the Texans had with the Pats over Caserio to what the Pats and BB did to Jets is like comparing a Black Cat to a stick of dynamite.

Say what you want too, and backup the Texans org.

But did the commish decide what the price the Pats had to pay to get BB.

McNair wasn't willing to Pay the price.

BTW, for the first decade or more of this franchise existence the excuse was Bob McNair was a hands off owner that was still learning on the job. LOL

How long does Cal get to use this excuse while adding to his billions?

Say what you want too, and backup the Texans org.

But did the commish decide what the price the Pats had to pay to get BB.

McNair wasn't willing to Pay the price.

BTW, for the first decade or more of this franchise existence the excuse was Bob McNair was a hands off owner that was still learning on the job. LOL

How long does Cal get to use this excuse while adding to his billions?

Hasn't Cal been around since day 1?

A draft pick for a gm who may not even be a real gm is nuts.
Right?! I say wait it out and get him when he’s free to go. No need to send the Pats our 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd pick for a guy who may not even pan out. That’s the smart thing to do if Caserio really do wants to come to Houston like all the reports say. If everyone is on the same page, wait it out and Caserio will be part of the Texans come next offseason. Unless the reports are not true and Caserio is just looking for a raise down in NE?

We got a draft coming up between then & now. If we can do it without Caserio, why bring him in at all?

Do you really think the Patriots would keep a lame duck executive on board to run their draft?.. I don't, at the very least I think their asking price would come down considerably after this season ends.

There is absolutely zero reason to give that team a first round pick.. The smart money is to wait them out.

Don't know if this article has been posted but:

Link

So it's entirely possible they are waiting for him.
They're very foolish if they're waiting for him. That would mean wasting a lot of time (and a promising GM) for something that isn't going to happen. If NE wants him, they're going to wrap him up.

No they aren't..
Do you mean the Texans aren't foolish, or the Pats aren't going to wrap him up?
he doesn't want to be there. That is the one thing in this situation that is clear.
But if the Pats want him, they'll make an offer that will make him want to stay.
He sees the writing on the wall.
This implies that they don't want him as their GM. Wish I could agree, but if I could, my situation would be different than it actually is.

Do you mean the Texans aren't foolish, or the Pats aren't going to wrap him up?

But if the Pats want him, they'll make an offer that will make him want to stay.

This implies that they don't want him as their GM. Wish I could agree, but if I could, my situation would be different than it actually is.

I'm saying exactly what I previously said.. They can't wrap him up, because it's plainly obvious he doesn't want to be there. That much is obvious as hell.

The guy will never get his due credit there and their run from Owner, to Coach/G.M (who gets all of the credit for whatever great decisions He has made), to the QB is about to end.

If they "could lock him up", don't you think they already would've been able to do that before he became a lame duck expiring contract? If they were able to lock him up, would he even collude with us? Which he did.

Why would they even be offering to trade him to us. Something tells me they aren't going to be able to re-sign him.

Last edited:
I'm saying exactly what I previously said.. They can't wrap him up, because it's plainly obvious he doesn't want to be there. That much is obvious as hell.

The guy will never get his due credit there and their run from Owner, to Coach/G.M (who gets all of the credit for whatever great decisions He has made), to the QB is about to end.

If they "could lock him up", don't you think they already would've been able to do that before he became a lame duck expiring contract? If they were able to lock him up, would he even collude with us? Which he did.

Why would they even be offering to trade him to us. Something tells me they aren't going to be able to re-sign him.

Gotta pay to play with the big boys.

How many excuses/years will Call be given the benefit of the doubt, like his father was?

Another 17 years?

None because he's been in the game for 17 years already. And who is giving dude excuses?

But aren't you the mecca of excuses? I mean you kept giving Obrien excuses even when the writing was all over the wall. Lol

I would guess look at picks from cuts or other free agents and trades (like demaryius thomas). I think there are generally still in season moves to be made.

Ok but Barzingan was brought over by Gaine. I'm sure he can handle the duties, but then who is handling his job? Presumably most teams have these positions because they are needed to do the work.

The way I understand the power structure in a team’s front office is Owner/CEO, GM, Director of pro personnel, director of college scouting. The GM oversees all personnel, scouting decisions and hiring/firing of coaches. In some organizations the HC has some of this power (obviously Bill Belichek comes to mind). At this point for the 2019 season we have our personnel staff, our HC, and the logistics for the upcoming season should be in place. I’m guessing the duties of the GM will be divided between Cal, BOB, Olsen and Easterby. Instead of Barzigan reporting to Gaine, I’m guessing he’ll report to BOB. His job and responsibilities won’t change much if at all. Olsen will continue to negotiate all contracts, I’m guessing Easterby can oversee non FB issues, and Cal will obviously handle the hiring/firing issues (though I’m not expecting this to happen unless the wheels completely fall off). Because we have Olsen and Easterby it doesn’t seem like anyone will be overloaded with new responsibilities. If we need to acquire players during the season, my bet is that BOB will go to Barzigan for recommendations.

I would be scared to death if we didn’t have Olsen and Easterby and BOB tried to assume all the GM duties himself, however given our front office structure I don’t think it’s a big deal to wait 10 months for Caserio

Here's the thing NE is a great place if you are building a resume or are a player but not so much if you are looking to run your own show as a GM or coach.

BB rules that place with an iron fist and ultimately he makes all the major decisions. A person may rise to be the first officer but they will never be captain as long as he is there.

Even taking over after he retires isnt as appealing as some think when you really look at it. Let's say you take over for him, NE fans and its owner have gotten use to winning and they are not going to be very forgiving of a new coach/GM just because they are new. Add to that Brady can't have to many more years and you are looking at filling the shoes of BB and then finding someone to fill the shoes of Brady.

Sounds like a set up for failure to me. On the other hand take the Texans and you have a org where it seems you can run the show. Only requirement seems to be get along with BoB but hey if they are long term personal friends that shouldn't be to hard.

From Cesario point of view I can see the Texans being much more appealing that NE. No income tax doesn't hurt either.

No they aren't.. he doesn't want to be there. That is the one thing in this situation that is clear.

He sees the writing on the wall.

Who said he doesn't want to be there? There has never been any source that has said this. It has always been pure speculation

The way I understand the power structure in a team’s front office is Owner/CEO, GM, Director of pro personnel, director of college scouting. The GM oversees all personnel, scouting decisions and hiring/firing of coaches. In some organizations the HC has some of this power (obviously Bill Belichek comes to mind). At this point for the 2019 season we have our personnel staff, our HC, and the logistics for the upcoming season should be in place. I’m guessing the duties of the GM will be divided between Cal, BOB, Olsen and Easterby. Instead of Barzigan reporting to Gaine, I’m guessing he’ll report to BOB. His job and responsibilities won’t change much if at all. Olsen will continue to negotiate all contracts, I’m guessing Easterby can oversee non FB issues, and Cal will obviously handle the hiring/firing issues (though I’m not expecting this to happen unless the wheels completely fall off). Because we have Olsen and Easterby it doesn’t seem like anyone will be overloaded with new responsibilities. If we need to acquire players during the season, my bet is that BOB will go to Barzigan for recommendations.

I would be scared to death if we didn’t have Olsen and Easterby and BOB tried to assume all the GM duties himself, however given our front office structure I don’t think it’s a big deal to wait 10 months for Caserio

McLane said Barzinga would take over the scouting stuff and the chaplain would be over the rest of football operations.

O'Brien has already been signing off on all personnel moves according to mclaine.

McLane said Barzinga would take over the scouting stuff and the chaplain would be over the rest of football operations.

O'Brien has already been signing off on all personnel moves according to mclaine.

Methinks you give McLaine way too much credit for having inside info. All he does is speculate based pretty much on nothing. I still don't understand why you take his musings as gospel

Methinks you give McLaine way too much credit for having inside info. All he does is speculate based pretty much on nothing. I still don't understand why you take his musings as gospel

He has sources. Sources can lie or have an agenda, but at no point has any source said caserio has interest in joining the Texans.

I would rather go by what sources inside the org say rather than speculation from journos trying to get page clicks

Last edited:
Please don't be that naive people. John has been apart of the Texans chatter since day one. Yes some of his personal takes be off but he does have great relationships within this organization. A lot of people discredit him for being wrong on some draft selections. Bwhahaha

Please don't be that naive people. John has been apart of the Texans chatter since day one. Yes some of his personal takes be off but he does have great relationships within this organization. A lot of people discredit him for being wrong on some draft selections. Bwhahaha

Journalists say when they have a source. McClain is no different. As people have come and gone he has had more and less access. When Casserly was here McClain often said "Texans sources say" or similar. Kubiak & Smith came in and that locked down. No more "sources say." That eased some over time. Point is if he doesn't say he has a source you shouldn't assume he has one.

Reactions: JB
He has sources. Sources can lie or have an agenda, but at no point has any source said caserio has interest in joining the Texans.

I would rather go by what sources inside the org say rather than speculation from journos trying to get page clicks

He has no sources within the Texans org. He used to have great sources within the Oilers and that's where he made his name, but has never had any with the Texans

McClain has never been any part of the Texans

some people seem to think if it's in print (or internet) it must be true... now tell me who is naive

This simply just isn't true at all.. none of this crap would've even happened if the guy had no interest in joining the Texans.. read the tea leaves here.

This simply just isn't true at all.. none of this crap would've even happened if the guy had no interest in joining the Texans.. read the tea leaves here.

What is "this crap"?

O'Brien firing gaine? Because it's not like O'Brien has ever gotten a GM fired

some people seem to think if it's in print (or internet) it must be true... now tell me who is naive

So you believe the Violin stuff (zero sources) but not the mclaine stuff (with sources)?

Let's be consistent and trust sourced reports

It's John McClain.
MV5BZDViZDAzMjAtY2E1YS00OThkLWE2YTMtYzBmYWRjMWY0MDhkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXRzdGFzaWVr._V1_CR36,0,949,534_AL_UY268_CR17,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

Yippee ka ye

Back