Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Well, the GM search is on!

Am I the only one that sees this organization as a comical train wreck, that we are compelled to watch and laugh at all the carnage because there's nothing we can do about it and to take it seriously would drive you nuts? IDK, maybe that's just my warped way of looking at the situation.

Laughter is the best therapy.

The wool has been pulled over this fan bases eyes for yrs.

Meanwhile the McNair's will continue to count their billions regardless of how all of this turns out.

To most people this is simply about a franchise firing their GM and not being able to hire their preferred candidate. It's not exactly a leading headline.

But here on TT there is a lot of history, bias and dare I say a bit of PTSD around football in Houston that will always see a situation like this much differently in order of magnitude than the rest of the sports world.

Most owners love to see a train wreck just like most fans are drawn to the train wreck.

Most owners love to see a train wreck just like most fans are drawn to the train wreck.

I'm not sure that I understand the logic behind your statement that most owners love to see a train wreck. Why would an owner want his organization to be a train wreck?

And what defines a train wreck? Firing a GM and failing to get the preferred replacement? Seems like a pretty low bar when it comes to train wrecks.

I'm not sure that I understand the logic behind your statement that most owners love to see a train wreck. Why would an owner want his organization to be a train wreck?

And what defines a train wreck? Firing a GM and failing to get the preferred replacement? Seems like a pretty low bar when it comes to train wrecks.

Other owners the Texans are competing against.

What we are currently seeing qualifies as a trainwreck, Let me ask you this, in your lifetime has an org ever gone a full season without a GM and no, the beancounter doesn't count as a GM.

What we are currently seeing qualifies as a trainwreck, Let me ask you this, in your lifetime has an org ever gone a full season without a GM and no, the beancounter doesn't count as a GM.

I didn't realize the Texans had gone a full season without a GM.

Nobody cares. It's going to take a lot more than the Rockets and Astros before anyone cares about "Houston". The last time we had something like that was Bum Phillips.

People talk about the Rockets and the Astros all the time and have a lot longer than the Bum Phillips era..

Especially the Astros who are on a national level now. Houston is becoming a baseball city.

People talk about the Rockets and the Astros all the time and have a lot longer than the Bum Phillips era..

Especially the Astros who are on a national level now. Houston is becoming a baseball city.

As I predicted back when the Astros sucked and the Texans were mediocre, that the Astros would win a championship before the Texans did and that Houston would become a baseball town.

With that said, if you look at the makeup of the fans at the Texans games they will continue to sell out.

As I predicted back when the Astros sucked and the Texans were mediocre, that the Astros would win a championship before the Texans did and that Houston would become a baseball town.

With that said, if you look at the makeup of the fans at the Texans games they will continue to sell out.

I didn't realize the Texans had gone a full season without a GM.

Tal to me about this after the Texans dont have a GM in the coing season/FA/Draft. Please bookmark this post so we can revisit it.

The Patriots have been doing it for 20 years. What we're currently seeing isn't a train wreck. Maybe a multi-car accident, but not a train wreck. A train wreck would be Cletus deciding to clean house and start all over during OTAs. THAT would be an epic train wreck.

Most of those seats are already bought and paid for, the last plant I worked at, they would give them out as rewards and even have club seats as Christmas raffles.

The Texans will never have to worry about selling out seats. Especially not with Deshaun Watson at QB..

How long is the waiting list again?

Tal to me about this after the Texans dont have a GM in the coing season/FA/Draft. Please bookmark this post so we can revisit it.

Certainly. If the Texans don't end up hiring a GM this season, and we can point to actions in training camp, pre-season, regular season, post-season (Lord willing), free agency and the draft where the Interim GM shat the bed, it will be a great conversation.

Personally I don't mind the Texans waiting it at all the way into next offseason if that's what it takes.

All of the praise/blame will fall on O'Brien. He either finally proves himself or he's out the door...hopefully.

Personally I don't mind the Texans waiting it at all the way into next offseason if that's what it takes.

All of the praise/blame will fall on O'Brien. He either finally proves himself or he's out the door...hopefully.
I disagree. OB can still blame Gaine for personnel moves this year and any personnel moves next year on whomever is making those decisions. You can bet your ass it won't be Teflon O'Brien making decisions that he could be held accountable for.

I disagree. OB can still blame Gaine for personnel moves this year and any personnel moves next year on whomever is making those decisions. You can bet your ass it won't be Teflon O'Brien making decisions that he could be held accountable for.

The thing is though.. Brian Gaine's draft class is still on this team, as well as last year's VERY promising class. If he hits on this year's class with the same % as last year's.. ah what the hell am I saying, Bill O'Brien will probably just take all the credit for those picks.

Last edited:

Considering that Gaine was fired for what he did or didn't do as the GM, isn't it reasonable to say that decisions made this off season in FA or the draft shouldn't be laid at OB's feet? The organization has already determined that Gaine was responsible up to this point.

We've discussed ad nauseum around the power structure in the organization, but in the end Gaine was in the GM role and was fired from said GM role. Moving forward, assuming the GM position stays interim, OB will have a lot more power/influence moving forward. I'm not sure from this point through to the end of the season that he will be shielded from any bad front office decisions or poor performance on the field. It won't be the interim, and he clearly holds more power than Jack.

Reactions: JB
Certainly. If the Texans don't end up hiring a GM this season, and we can point to actions in training camp, pre-season, regular season, post-season (Lord willing), free agency and the draft where the Interim GM shat the bed, it will be a great conversation.

Interim GM is just a figurehead/contract guy. So he wont be shatting the bed.

The thing is though.. Brian Gaine's draft class is still on this team, as well as last year's VERY promising class. If he hits on this year's class with the same % as last year's.. oh what the hell am I saying, Bill O'Brien will probably just take all the credit for the picks.
Absolutely he will. He takes all credit and deflects all blame. So he can take the credit and shine like a diamond in a goat's ass if it's a good season (or lucky AF like last season) and just shrug his shoulders and blame Gaine if it's a bad season. He can do the same in 2020. One of the biggest flaws within this organization is it's muddled roles and responsibilities within football operations.

Considering that Gaine was fired for what he did or didn't do as the GM, isn't it reasonable to say that decisions made this off season in FA or the draft shouldn't be laid at OB's feet? The organization has already determined that Gaine was responsible up to this point.

We've discussed ad nauseum around the power structure in the organization, but in the end Gaine was in the GM role and was fired from said GM role. Moving forward, assuming the GM position stays interim, OB will have a lot more power/influence moving forward. I'm not sure from this point through to the end of the season that he will be shielded from any bad front office decisions or poor performance on the field. It won't be the interim, and he clearly holds more power than Jack.
From a different post:
Absolutely he will. He takes all credit and deflects all blame. So he can take the credit and shine like a diamond in a goat's ass if it's a good season (or lucky AF like last season) and just shrug his shoulders and blame Gaine if it's a bad season. He can do the same in 2020. One of the biggest flaws within this organization is it's muddled roles and responsibilities within football operations.

From a different post:

I get what you are saying about what OB does. I'm saying Cal already held Gaine accountable for this off season. Not saying that he won't hold OB accountable for what happens moving forward, but I don't see him firing OB based on what he already fired Gaine for. OB isn't made of Teflon because he wasn't held accountable for decisions Gaine made as the GM. Again, we can debate the real power structure down on Kirby, but in the end Gaine as the GM was deemed as not meeting expectations. If Cal was so frustrated with Gaine's results in just 18 months, and Gaine was just simply a yes man for OB, why wouldn't he clean house?

I get what you are saying about what OB does. I'm saying Cal already held Gaine accountable for this off season. Not saying that he won't hold OB accountable for what happens moving forward, but I don't see him firing OB based on what he already fired Gaine for. OB isn't made of Teflon because he wasn't held accountable for decisions Gaine made as the GM. Again, we can debate the real power structure down on Kirby, but in the end Gaine as the GM was deemed as not meeting expectations. If Cal was so frustrated with Gaine's results in just 18 months, and Gaine was just simply a yes man for OB, why wouldn't he clean house?
Cal should fire OB based on the results of his coaching. Cal very likely was pushed in that direction by OB and Easterby so they could get Caserio. We all know how that went. IMO, Cal screwed the pooch by firing Gaine. Gaine had the right idea, as a GM, but got a bit conservative after his 1st 2 FA signings got injured. I liked his drafts quite a bit, but I pay little attention to what the talking heads spin up pre-draft.

Man this organization looks like a complete mess right now ….
If you read this MB seriously you will become the most negative hate filled fan around. I simply see an attempt to get a GM that was believed to be the best fit for the organization but unfortunately it involved the worst rule manipulating and cheating organization in the NFL. Look at the good side. There is good news coming out of the mouth of coaches and players that point to a lot of optimism and cohesiveness among the players. There is good news and interesting new players to follow with their development. Chronicle today ran an article that states our TE coach believes Warring just might be really special. He’s been showing the ability to create separation behind the defense, he is one of the best conditioned players in the weight room, etc. this board, however, with all the verbal abusing of the coaches and organization, ass face butt chin HC and so on is just infantile. There is also pathetic bullying here. What happened to Have Mercy for example? I don’t know but this is the best I’ve felt about this team in awhile.

If you read this MB seriously you will become the most negative hate filled fan around. I simply see an attempt to get a GM that was believed to be the best fit for the organization but unfortunately it involved the worst rule manipulating and cheating organization in the NFL. Look at the good side. There is good news coming out of the mouth of coaches and players that point to a lot of optimism and cohesiveness among the players. There is good news and interesting new players to follow with their development. Chronicle today ran an article that states our TE coach believes Warring just might be really special. He’s been showing the ability to create separation behind the defense, he is one of the best conditioned players in the weight room, etc. this board, however, with all the verbal abusing of the coaches and organization, ass face butt chin HC and so on is just infantile. There is also pathetic bullying here. What happened to Have Mercy for example? I don’t know but this is the best I’ve felt about this team in awhile.

You completely blew off the fact that that the Texans were the ones that looked like cheaters and got clowned in this ordeal. Not the other way around. They're the ones standing around without a GM right now with some plan to try and still go get some guy that may or may not want to be here whenever his contract comes up. You're looking for optimism and forcing it. There hasn't been anything new or current that has been positive for the Texans. When that happens is anyone's guess, but it hasn't happened lately. They basically got embarrassed by the Pats who owed them some restitution and humiliation any way. That's the actual reality.

You completely blew off the fact that that the Texans were the ones that looked like cheaters and got clowned in this ordeal. Not the other way around. They're the ones standing around without a GM right now with some plan to try and still go get some guy that may or may not want to be here whenever his contract comes up. You're looking for optimism and forcing it. There hasn't been anything new or current that has been positive for the Texans. When that happens is anyone's guess, but it hasn't happened lately. They basically got embarrassed by the Pats who owed them some restitution and humiliation any way. That's the actual reality.

I don't think this was a case of either side "getting clowned" or "embarrassed". I think it was more a case of Pats have lost to many people and even BB can't carry much more so they went against their usual MO of letting people leave that want to leave and decided to fight it. There is strong evidence that the clause they used is not actually in line with NFL policies. Texans, on the other hand, were looking at it and going, you know what by the time this thing gets settled its going to be to late for this off season anyway and his contract is up next year. Lets just let it go for now and have people just work the GM temp. Hell for all we know on that call between Kraft and Cal they decided then it wasn't worth fighting over and leaving it in Goodell's hands.

It would have been far more embarrassing if either side had lost. If Pats clause was deemed against league policy then they look bad and they can't afford more bad press right now and, on the other hand, if Texans are ruled to have tampered then they are penalized. All of this would have been decided not by laws or lawyers but by whatever random thought crosses Goodell's mind. My guess is neither Org. wanted to put their fate in his hands so they agreed to drop it. Everyone is acting like this is a damn movie with two countries or something trying to out flank each other and sending spies to turn defectors and other sh!t. This is typical corporate crap that goes on everyday. Going on with someone as a temp is very common, hell my boss right now is only temporally doing the job because the previous one moved into a new department and they decided to have someone temporarily fill the role till next year because they might want to restructure.

I don't think this was a case of either side "getting clowned" or "embarrassed". I think it was more a case of Pats have lost to many people and even BB can't carry much more so they went against their usual MO of letting people leave that want to leave and decided to fight it. There is strong evidence that the clause they used is not actually in line with NFL policies. Texans, on the other hand, were looking at it and going, you know what by the time this thing gets settled its going to be to late for this off season anyway and his contract is up next year. Lets just let it go for now and have people just work the GM temp. Hell for all we know on that call between Kraft and Cal they decided then it wasn't worth fighting over and leaving it in Goodell's hands.

It would have been far more embarrassing if either side had lost. If Pats clause was deemed against league policy then they look bad and they can't afford more bad press right now and, on the other hand, if Texans are ruled to have tampered then they are penalized. All of this would have been decided not by laws or lawyers but by whatever random thought crosses Goodell's mind. My guess is neither Org. wanted to put their fate in his hands so they agreed to drop it. Everyone is acting like this is a damn movie with two countries or something trying to out flank each other and sending spies to turn defectors and other sh!t. This is typical corporate crap that goes on everyday. Going on with someone as a temp is very common, hell my boss right now is only temporally doing the job because the previous one moved into a new department and they decided to have someone temporarily fill the role till next year because they might want to restructure.

When you fire your GM randomly at such an odd time, you're already embarrassed.

When you target a guy and end up in a mess all over the media that has your team facing tampering allegations then that is your next embarrassment.

When the guy you target ends up staying with his current team because he had literature in his contract that didn't allow him to go over to your team then you end up at least looking guilty and at the end of the day you didn't even end up with your guy.

You have no GM for the 2019 season. (Potential trades and FA pick ups at a disadvantage now.)

I shouldn't have to explain much more than this. It doesn't mean that the Texans can't still have strong season though. They can, but it damn sure isn't a good start and makes their front office look like a bunch of clowns as usual.

Well, this is a thread about the GM, not the players. There has been plenty of optimism about Warring on this board, w/o ever even seeing him play. Check out the thread devoted to him.

The GM situation wasn't handled great. They're the only team going into this season w/o a GM. O'Brien already had his hands full, now is he the one taking the calls during the season from other teams wanting to trade? He doesn't have time for that. Nobody really knows how this is going to work. We're entering rare air.

The Texans were absolutely embarrassed.

Sending easterby to tamper at a ring ceremony?

If the Texans really wanted caserio, all they had to do was wait until his contract was up. And they would still have a GM.

Maybe there is something they don't like about gaine, but I can't imagine how it's better to not have anyone in his place

The Texans were absolutely embarrassed.

Sending easterby to tamper at a ring ceremony?

If the Texans really wanted caserio, all they had to do was wait until his contract was up. And they would still have a GM.

Maybe there is something they don't like about gaine, but I can't imagine how it's better to not have anyone in his place

This is the point of my post. Where is your proof for this bold statement? Easterby was invited. He wouldn’t just show up at Krafts front door. There is so much continuous speculation stated as facts that is just absurd. This board puts a beauty parlor to shame.

This is the point of my post. Where is your proof for this bold statement? Easterby was invited. He wouldn’t just show up at Krafts front door. There is so much continuous speculation stated as facts that is just absurd. This board puts a beauty parlor to shame.

Yes he was invited. Then they fired gaine, requested an interview with caserio, and the pats filed tampering charges.

What does that add up to?

Ironic that you're griping about message board speculation and then participating in it with a point of view that is as much speculation.

I suspect he/she was an alter ego.

Something to keep the merry-go-round spinning.

50/50 on posters believing the good news from coaches and players.

:coffee:

I suspect he/she was an alter ego.

Something to keep the merry-go-round spinning.

50/50 on posters believing the good news from coaches and players.

:coffee:

Maybe, though some of the attacks on him did get personal and the mods did nothing about it or at least nothing that would show people "hey this isn't cool". What he was asking for was stupid, not calling BoB "Buttchin", but the follow up on that was a little out of hand.

W
Ironic that you're griping about message board speculation and then participating in it with a point of view that is as much speculation.

Wrong. In the corporate world I never took sides or revealed my thoughts with my team until I had hard facts regarding business or personnel issues. Out of respect to those involved in the FO in this case it is useless to assert anything about this issue. This FO has been tried and convicted on hearsay.

Wrong. In the corporate world I never took sides or revealed my thoughts with my team until I had hard facts regarding business or personnel issues. Out of respect to those involved in the FO in this case it is useless to assert anything about this issue. This FO has been tried and convicted on hearsay.
And yet you've taken a side and asserted that we didn't tamper with no hard facts. It's an unknowable answer without those in the know revealing what happened and that's probably never going to happen. Your point of view doesn't have higher moral ground.

And yet you've taken a side and asserted that we didn't tamper with no hard facts. It's an unknowable answer without those in the know revealing what happened and that's probably never going to happen. Your point of view doesn't have higher moral ground.

What part of wrong don’t you understand? Where did I “assert” they didn’t tamper? Basically I was responding to Kdogs assertion that Easterby was sent by the Texans to tamper. My position is the only totally benign position to take as I neither said they did or did not tamper. When one has zero facts as in this case the only fair and correct position is to not take any position other than to assume innocence until proven guilty. Your wrong assertion is the type that gains a life of its own.

What part of wrong don’t you understand? Where did I “assert” they didn’t tamper? Basically I was responding to Kdogs assertion that Easterby was sent by the Texans to tamper. My position is the only totally benign position to take as I neither said they did or did not tamper. When one has zero facts as in this case the only fair and correct position is to not take any position other than to assume innocence until proven guilty. Your wrong assertion is the type that gains a life of its own.
Then why are you griping about people saying we tampered if you're acknowledging we may have tampered. You're not making any sense.

Then why are you griping about people saying we tampered if you're acknowledging we may have tampered. You're not making any sense.

Oh man. This isn’t the Milky Way guy. Now what part of I didn’t assert either position dont you understand. If so I would need hard facts which neither I or anybody else has. Most posts on this board fall under the assertion category which require hard facts which are rarely given. If stated as an opinion thats different because it doesn’t necessarily prove guilt or innocence. All we KNOW is Easterby was invited to a ring ceremony, he was part of that organization for a long time, and he was a popular figure there with lots of friends.

Oh man. This isn’t the Milky Way guy. Now what part of I didn’t assert either position dont you understand. If so I would need hard facts which neither I or anybody else has. Most posts on this board fall under the assertion category which require hard facts which are rarely given. If stated as an opinion thats different because it doesn’t necessarily prove guilt or innocence. All we KNOW is Easterby was invited to a ring ceremony, he was part of that organization for a long time, and he was a popular figure there with lots of friends.
So you're asserting nothing and have the 'benign' position that we may have or may have not tampered. But those that assert we tampered put beauty parlors to shame with wild speculation but not based on any assertion of yours that we didn't tamper because you're not asserting anything. Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

Back