Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Well, the GM search is on!

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
If the source is Caserio, how could he mention it? Why are the Texans holding a job they don’t think someone will take? Come on, man. You’re arguing to argue.
I'm not. If caserio told them he's interested they would report that. If he doesn't tell reporters then we're just speculating

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
How would cal know?
He's the guy doing the hiring and if he doesn't think Caserio can bring a championship here, then he shouldn't hire him to begin with is my point.

If he does believe Caserio can bring a championship then he shouldn't have a problem giving up a 1st rd pick.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
“If the idea is that he wants to go somewhere else or is anxious to go somewhere, I don’t think that’s fair,” said the source with knowledge of Caserio’s situation. “I think it was strictly an opportunity to work with a friend and to have more authority, which isn’t desired in New England but is desired if he goes elsewhere.”

The source confirmed that Caserio’s contract runs through next year’s draft and indicated it wouldn’t be shocking if Caserio re-upped with the Patriots, but sans any prohibitive clause that prevents him from pursuing other jobs."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2019/06/25/downside-patriots-system-evident-nick-caserio-case/weyQL9CPI8hZFnqS0OjfcI/story.html?outputType=amp

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
At this point I'm willing to go after everything that OB wants....

The sooner he gets his way, the sooner he is out of excuses and the sooner we can hopefully get away from OB... or he will have great success and the Texans will be the new Patriots and be in the SB regularly.

Either outcome I'm honestly fine with, I'd prefer to see the Texans rise to the top, but if they cant under OB as I believe is the case, I want him gone.

No more excuses, maybe it WASNT your job OB, but you are about the only one left, wearing all the hats.... so it certainly has to be in your job discrption by now.

Texansballer74

The Marine
He won't have anything to do with the Pats draft. But the Texans will have to give up the pick or Caserio won't be in charge of the Texans next draft. It's the way BB works and Kraft is reportedly pissed.

BB is all business and until the Texans org becomes as ruthless as the Pats/ B then they will be at a major disadvantage. It seems as though Easterby has brought that mindset with him from Foxboro and that's a good thing.

We don't have to give up any freaking picks. After this season he's done with the Patriots. Just accept that big timer.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Does anyone think Caserio will be in the Pats draft room next year? Or in the building when they meet the Texans in December? Or with the organization on opening day? Or training camp? Caserio can never be trusted again in Foxboro.
IMO if this is true, the tampering is done. The Patriots ability to negotiate & secure Caserio is compromised. If we get Caserio even after next draft & his contract is up, the league could still penalize us by taking a first round pick.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Caserio was opening to interviewing.

That is far from making it a done deal or making him untrusted in Foxboro.

Pats have guys interview and leave all the time. Or stay. Or come back (McDaniels)

Last edited:

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
IMO if this is true, the tampering is done. The Patriots ability to negotiate & secure Caserio is compromised. If we get Caserio even after next draft & his contract is up, the league could still penalize us by taking a first round pick.
The Pats have dropped their complaint. The NFL would act now if they were going to, not wait a season.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That would be within 10 mos. Somewhat dulled impact since he wouldn't have a 1st.

That's IF the Pats would keep a lame duck on to have the draft as his last act.

Anything to criticize the McNairs.
A small price to pay.

That wasn't meant as a criticism, it's just a small price to pay to get the guy you want.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
We don't have to give up any freaking picks. After this season he's done with the Patriots. Just accept that big timer.
He's done, true

BB ain't letting him leave until after the 2020 draft unless he gets what he wants.

He wont be part of the Pats decision making process unless he signs a longterm deal.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
He's done, true

BB ain't letting him leave until after the 2020 draft unless he gets what he wants.

He wont be part of the Pats decision making process unless he signs a longterm deal.
So Kraft will agree to pay Caserio his salary despite being shutoff from the organization? Please. This will be over before the summer ends.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Huge price for 10 mos.

A) keeping him will make getting a new guy harder.

B) Kraft may have something to say about paying $500k out of spite.
Disagree if you think he's the next great GM.

Ossenfort will be taking Caserio's place. The Pats have a plan A and a plan B. I wish the Texans operated like this.

Kraft lets BB make these calls, plus it's been reported that Kraft was p!ssed how all of this went down.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Disagree if you think he's the next great GM.

Ossenfort will be taking Caserio's place. The Pats have a plan A and a plan B. I wish the Texans operated like this.

Kraft lets BB make these calls, plus it's been reported that Kraft was p!ssed how all of this went down.

The Patriots are playing mind games as usual. BB is the official GM. Everyone knows that Steel. So they really don't have to hold onto this guy until after the 2020 draft.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The Patriots are playing mind games as usual. BB is the official GM. Everyone knows that Steel. So they really don't have to hold onto this guy until after the 2020 draft.
They dont have too, but they will unless they get the draft pick they want for Caserio.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
So you believe the Violin stuff (zero sources) but not the mclaine stuff (with sources)?

Let's be consistent and trust sourced reports
When has McClain ever mentioned that he has sources inside the Texans?

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
When has McClain ever mentioned that he has sources inside the Texans?
His reports actually seem to come from directly covering the team and what they say publicly or release rather than anonymous sources.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
McClain also gets scooped on every big story. Where was he when Gaine was fired? He hears what the Texans want him to hear.
Yeah often true. Though he always maintained that obrien and Rick both wanted osweiler

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
His reports actually seem to come from directly covering the team and what they say publicly or release rather than anonymous sources.
So what are his sources that support your imaginings? He has no sources other than public info? That doesn't support your suppositions much

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
So what are his sources that support your imaginings? He has no sources other than public info? That doesn't support your suppositions much
He reports directly what the team says. Like when the team withdrew from caserio, he reported that. When O'Brien said he wanted osweiler and worked with Rick, he reported that.

With Barzinga taking over the scouting and Easterby doing the other football ops, same thing

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Caserio overlooked a very important clause in his contract and you want him to be GM?
I don't think they overlooked it as much as they didn't think it would be an issue. Don't forget the Pats already let him interview for a GM once with Miami and there was no reason to think they wouldn't again. I think its just this year they have lost so many, gotten so much bad press and BB is several years older and Brady closer to retirement that they didn't think they could afford to lose him right now.

Also he has an agent, wouldn't it be his agent's job to know what's in the contract just as much as Caserio? Hell you can make an argument that its even more his job because that's what he's hired for. When I take my car to the mechanic I don't think its my job to understand why my car isn't working that's what I'm paying the mechanic for. Likewise I work in IT, I don't try to explain to someone why their computer isn't working, unless they ask, I just fix it and tell them what they can do to avoid the problem in the future.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't think they overlooked it as much as they didn't think it would be an issue. Don't forget the Pats already let him interview for a GM once with Miami and there was no reason to think they wouldn't again. I think its just this year they have lost so many, gotten so much bad press and BB is several years older and Brady closer to retirement that they didn't think they could afford to lose him right now.

Also he has an agent, wouldn't it be his agent's job to know what's in the contract just as much as Caserio? Hell you can make an argument that its even more his job because that's what he's hired for. When I take my car to the mechanic I don't think its my job to understand why my car isn't working that's what I'm paying the mechanic for. Likewise I work in IT, I don't try to explain to someone why their computer isn't working, unless they ask, I just fix it and tell them what they can do to avoid the problem in the future.
They will let Caserio walk. They just want a 1st rd pick to let him walk and the Texans would rather go a full season/draft/FA period than pay the price to get their guy.

The agent should'v known, if the Texans org/Caserio even bothered to ask him look at the contract. What a clusterfvck of an org.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
They will let Caserio walk. They just want a 1st rd pick to let him walk and the Texans would rather go a full season/draft/FA period than pay the price to get their guy.

The agent should'v known, if the Texans org/Caserio even bothered to ask him look at the contract. What a clusterfvck of an org.
Honest question: is Caserio's contract with the Pats a matter of public record?

I'm trying to understand how the Texans were supposed to know about this clause before asking for permission to interview.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I'm trying to understand how the Texans were supposed to know about this clause before asking for permission to interview.
Simply by calling the agent, telling him you're thinking about hiring him and asking the agent if Caserio can get out of his current contract. The agent should know the contracts contents.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Asking the agent thru back channels happens all of the time.

It usually happens at the combine. How do you think FA's sign so quickly when FA begins?
Well FA's aren't under contract even though the FA signing period hasn't opened, so that is a bit of apples and oranges.

We are talking about front office personnel currently under contract by another team. How exactly do you know that teams reach out to their agents to determine the conditions of their existing contracts with other teams? I would think that doing so before asking for permission to interview, especially when (using your words) they say they are thinking about hiring them, would be the textbook definition of tampering.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Not sure about coaches & execs. All player contracts are filed with the league. Not public per se but so many people have access it might as well be. Would guess coaches & execs sre filed as well as the Rooney rule can be circumvented by guaranteeing promotion.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Not sure about coaches & execs. All player contracts are filed with the league. Not public per se but so many people have access it might as well be. Would guess coaches & execs sre filed as well as the Rooney rule can be circumvented by guaranteeing promotion.
At the same time it must not need to be approved or else league policy breaking provisions, like many people say the no interview clause was, would be challenged before ever taking effect. I think its more of teams don't go after other teams front office people like they do players. Most teams either let a person go else where if they want, hire from the large pool of people not currently with a team or bring someone up from the college level. This whole, we want to hire this guy but the other team won't let us interview him is somewhat uncommon. Most teams don't want a unhappy camper making any of their decisions.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
At the same time it must not need to be approved or else league policy breaking provisions, like many people say the no interview clause was, would be challenged before ever taking effect.
I suspect those people are wrong. If it was a violation the league wouldn't allow its enforcement or would penalize.

I think its more of teams don't go after other teams front office people like they do players.
Happens fairly often but the current team commonly gives a hefty pay raise, new title & future assurances.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Well FA's aren't under contract even though the FA signing period hasn't opened, so that is a bit of apples and oranges.

We are talking about front office personnel currently under contract by another team. How exactly do you know that teams reach out to their agents to determine the conditions of their existing contracts with other teams? I would think that doing so before asking for permission to interview, especially when (using your words) they say they are thinking about hiring them, would be the textbook definition of tampering.
Clubs never talk to agents before approaching players/ coaching/gm candidates. Ok

BTW, it's not ttampering to talk to a friend of an agent, tell him to relay your interest in a guy and have the agent look at the contract. If you don't believe this happens then you're quite naive.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Clubs never talk to agents before approaching players/ coaching/gm candidates. Ok

BTW, it's not ttampering to talk to a friend of an agent, tell him to relay your interest in a guy and have the agent look at the contract. If you don't believe this happens then you're quite naive.
No, what I was saying is that you mentioned FA's, who technically don't have contracts, so one could approach their agent about the interest of the player to want to play for them, but they wouldn't be trying to figure out contract info because there isn't any.

Regarding players currently under contract, someone here pointed out that contracts are filed with the league office so I imagine that information is fairly easy to obtain.

I do agree that these clandestine conversations happen all the time. But I would think that if you have to go through the backdoor channels you are describing in order to obtain information, it's tampering. Otherwise why not just openly go directly to the agent? Seems like a difficult way of doing things if obtaining that information is not an infraction.