Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 4: Pittsburgh Steelers vs Houston Texans.

Trevor Lawrence struggled his first season. It is hardly time to write off Bryce Young. Some players need a little more time than others. It is hardly time to place a verdict on Bryce Young.
They said his name a couple of times, but the ease the Texans were throwing the ball I was like, "that's not "Patrick Peterson" Patrick Peterson is it? Can't be."

Trevor Lawrence struggled his first season. It is hardly time to write off Bryce Young. Some players need a little more time than others. It is hardly time to place a verdict on Bryce Young.
True but when our QB was considered second best by most of the football world, nothing wrong with a bit of braggadocio.

Well this was a rough game for me, I so wanted my Steelers to not draft Pickett as he was not a first round talent. I wanted them to wait until this year and go after Stroud, as a Buckeye fan I knew how talented he was. Ugh..

But on the flip side, I know I have been spoiled with my Steelers for the past 40+ years I have been a fan. So I am happy for you Texans fans and is really cool to see your fans excited. So I will be a closet Texans fan as I cheer on CJ, as I do with most of our Buckeye players..

Well this was a rough game for me, I so wanted my Steelers to not draft Pickett as he was not a first round talent. I wanted them to wait until this year and go after Stroud, as a Buckeye fan I knew how talented he was. Ugh..

But on the flip side, I know I have been spoiled with my Steelers for the past 40+ years I have been a fan. So I am happy for you Texans fans and is really cool to see your fans excited. So I will be a closet Texans fan as I cheer on CJ, as I do with most of our Buckeye players..

The problem with your team right now is either Pickett or his QB coach. He doesn't make progressions, he often locks on to one receiver before the ball is snapped, and he's not accurate. Some of this can be fixed by a coach, but to what extent who knows. I hope he improves but wouldn't bet on it.

And as every Texans fan can attest, when the QB plays poorly, the defense will quit.

If you really want us to love you, tell us how much you hate Cleveland and their trashy QB. :)

I know I have been spoiled with my Steelers for the past 40+ years
Not you in particular, but Steeler fans in general have flipped on there team quick. Long time coming I'm sure & if I paid more attention to the Steelers I'd know it wasn't overnight. But from the outside looking in, it looks like Steerler nation flipped a switch & want to run everybody out.

Its also too early to place CJ Stroud in the HOF but if you compare what CJ is doing to Young....you cant honestly say youd rather have Young at this moment.
Hard to say.

I originally thought the Texans were a worse situation than the Panthers. Now it's hard to say. Texans coaches have been putting in the work & it shows. I don't know how much Young is having to deal with. But If I thought the Texans could keep our QB clean after facing Josh Allen one week & Tj Watt the next week, I probably wouldn't have been so adamant against B.Young.

Demeco needs to make sure he’s got someone close to slowik learning so he has a viable future replacement.

I agree that Slowick deserves MOST of the credit for what the Texan offense is doing right now, but as long as we are handing out Kudo's to the coaching staff let's give a standing applause to QB coach Jerrod Johnson for what he has done to shape and sharpen Stroud's QB play. Stroud came in to training camp with a lot of natural talent and had been coached up very well at Ohio State. But Jerrod Johnson has taken CJ to a whole new level.

This is not an accident. If you look at CJ's history you will find that in High School he was only offered a spot at the elite 11 High School camp because some one had to drop out. Coach Johnson was picked up as CJ's team coach at the last minute. CJ's team won that camp tournament and CJ was name MPV of the camp. Based on that showing CJ got offered a Scholarship at OSU.

Based on his track record with CJ, both in High School and the Texans Training Camp, it is obvious that Jerrod Johnson is absolutely one of the Shining Stars on the Texans Coaching staff. And if Slowick bolts, Johnson has to be a prime candidate for the OC job.

PS: Let me be very clear: If I had my way Slowick would never leave.

If Slowick is that good, and it appears that way so far, then just hang another title on him and give him some more money. Texans are loaded, they can afford it.

Money is one thing, but Being a Head Coach is worth more than Money to these guy's. Based on what we have seen so far, you should at least have a plan for in place for what to do when Slowick ultimately leaves for a Head Coaching gig.

If you really want us to love you, tell us how much you hate Cleveland and their trashy QB. :)

I absolutely DESPISE Cleveland, and watching Watson and his contract wreck more damage than any opposing team could is just joy to my eyes. I was so glad that the Steelers mad him look like a crappy ass QB, especially since I love in Ohio and all my in-laws are Brownie fans..lol

The problem with your team right now is either Pickett or his QB coach. He doesn't make progressions, he often locks on to one receiver before the ball is snapped, and he's not accurate. Some of this can be fixed by a coach, but to what extent who knows. I hope he improves but wouldn't bet on it.

And as every Texans fan can attest, when the QB plays poorly, the defense will quit.

He is just not a starting NFL QB, I think of him as being a Mitch Trebisky. Can't read the field very well, but granted out O Line is really bad, but you guys can see that an elite QB that sees the field and makes quick decisions can help a bad O line a lot. Our defense kept us in the game late yesterday, but our offense is such a joke.

Pickett averages 200yards 1TD and 1 INT a game. That is not NFL starter play. And our offensive coaches, are well....offensive and us Steelers fans have been calling for change for a while.

Not you in particular, but Steeler fans in general have flipped on there team quick. Long time coming I'm sure & if I paid more attention to the Steelers I'd know it wasn't overnight. But from the outside looking in, it looks like Steerler nation flipped a switch & want to run everybody out.

Love us or hates us, but the Steelers have been one of the best run franchises in the past 50 years, but we have seen the decline the past 6-7 years. Most of us saw that Ben was way past his prime his last few years and then we saw issues with Bell and Brown, something that very rarely happened to this franchise. Tomlin has kept a lot of these offensive coaches that are not working out as well. Plus, outside of this year the past few drafts have not been great. Again we are a very spoiled fan base, but the problem seems VERY obvious to fans, not just by what we see with the eyes, but the HORRIBLE offense you can see in the stats. Last year we scored the fewest TDs in the league and we are on pace to do it again...

Love us or hates us, but the Steelers have been one of the best run franchises in the past 50 years, but we have seen the decline the past 6-7 years. Most of us saw that Ben was way past his prime his last few years and then we saw issues with Bell and Brown, something that very rarely happened to this franchise. Tomlin has kept a lot of these offensive coaches that are not working out as well. Plus, outside of this year the past few drafts have not been great. Again we are a very spoiled fan base, but the problem seems VERY obvious to fans, not just by what we see with the eyes, but the HORRIBLE offense you can see in the stats. Last year we scored the fewest TDs in the league and we are on pace to do it again...

The founding owner of the Texans said more than once he wanted to model the operations of the Texans after the Steelers' organization. They've been an example of stability and competence for decades.

I hope Tomlin's job security isn't diminished. Based on his accomplishments they should know he's not the problem.

The founding owner of the Texans said more than once he wanted to model the operations of the Texans after the Steelers' organization. They've been an example of stability and competence for decades.

I hope Tomlin's job security isn't diminished. Based on his accomplishments they should know he's not the problem.

The fact that I am 52 and have only experienced 3 head coaches bodes very well for Tomlin, the organization has the same ownership and philosophy so he wont get canned, unless he has 3-4 bad years. We have a new GM, who appears to be pretty good as this draft was a good one. Most fans are pointing to the offensive coaches, although some don't like Tomlin either. One thing Tomlin does that is both good and bad is he lets the coaches coach, so he will take heat if some coaching changes are not made.

The fact that I am 52 and have only experienced 3 head coaches bodes very well for Tomlin, the organization has the same ownership and philosophy so he wont get canned, unless he has 3-4 bad years. We have a new GM, who appears to be pretty good as this draft was a good one. Most fans are pointing to the offensive coaches, although some don't like Tomlin either. One thing Tomlin does that is both good and bad is he lets the coaches coach, so he will take heat if some coaching changes are not made.

Tomlin is a great coach, and has been for years. I don't think Tomlin is your problem. It does sound like you guys need a refresh at OC.

I agree that Slowick deserves MOST of the credit for what the Texan offense is doing right now, but as long as we are handing out Kudo's to the coaching staff let's give a standing applause to QB coach Jerrod Johnson for what he has done to shape and sharpen Stroud's QB play. Stroud came in to training camp with a lot of natural talent and had been coached up very well at Ohio State. But Jerrod Johnson has taken CJ to a whole new level.

This is not an accident. If you look at CJ's history you will find that in High School he was only offered a spot at the elite 11 High School camp because some one had to drop out. Coach Johnson was picked up as CJ's team coach at the last minute. CJ's team won that camp tournament and CJ was name MPV of the camp. Based on that showing CJ got offered a Scholarship at OSU.

Based on his track record with CJ, both in High School and the Texans Training Camp, it is obvious that Jerrod Johnson is absolutely one of the Shining Stars on the Texans Coaching staff. And if Slowick bolts, Johnson has to be a prime candidate for the OC job.

PS: Let me be very clear: If I had my way Slowick would never leave.

I said before camp that Johnson was a great pick for the QB coach and that he would be a HC in the NFL one day. Dude's very sharp. I could see both Slowik and Johnson both being NFL HC's in the next 4 or 5 yrs.

1200x0.jpg

If she had a hand in turning things around then she needs to be the face of the franchise.

No offense to Cal, but he understands.

I used to think an offense was as good as it's QB and OL. After all of the Texans OL injuries it amazes me that the Texans are on their 3rd LT and still hung 30 on the Steelers with 4 starting OL missing time due to injury.

He is just not a starting NFL QB, I think of him as being a Mitch Trebisky. Can't read the field very well, but granted out O Line is really bad, but you guys can see that an elite QB that sees the field and makes quick decisions can help a bad O line a lot. Our defense kept us in the game late yesterday, but our offense is such a joke.

Pickett averages 200yards 1TD and 1 INT a game. That is not NFL starter play. And our offensive coaches, are well....offensive and us Steelers fans have been calling for change for a while.
We will give you Davis Mills for a couple of 3rd round picks, he can beat those numbers

Play design, play calling, and play execution just wasn't there for the Steelers.

Go back and compare and contrast the screen games between the two sides and you can see a completely different pictures.

The Steelers offensive game plan looked boring and unimaginative as compared to the Texans'.

I used to think an offense was as good as it's QB and OL. After all of the Texans OL injuries it amazes me that the Texans are on their 3rd LT and still hung 30 on the Steelers with 4 starting OL missing time due to injury.

So many little factors take place. Perfect example for Ohio State this year, as great as Marvin Harrison is as a WR, he only has a few YACs this year, as opposed to last year. Because CJ could place the ball on short/medium/long passes to allow the WRs to run. This year McCord is not at that level, and may never be there, but that and being decisive and knowing where and when your receivers are open is a huge factor as well. And of course play calling, amplifies all of the facets of the offense. Case in point the difference between the offense of the Texans and the Steelers this year. The Steelers coaching is not creative at all..

Play design, play calling, and play execution just wasn't there for the Steelers.

Go back and compare and contrast the screen games between the two sides and you can see a completely different pictures.

The Steelers offensive game plan looked boring and unimaginative as compared to the Texans'.

And we are going on about 5 years of that, hence the frustration of fans like myself. Our offense does not have the skill to just line up and beat most NFL teams

The Steelers offensive game plan looked boring and unimaginative and reminded us of the Texans'.

FIFY, its what I thought watching PIT....

Tomlin is a great coach, and has been for years. I don't think Tomlin is your problem. It does sound like you guys need a refresh at OC.
Tomlin is running things and is likely the reason Matt Canada is still there. I think him and the Steelers should part ways this offseason. This happened in Philly with Andy Reid. They parted ways and both parties are better off for it. Sometimes a head coach/organization relationship runs its course.

I said before camp that Johnson was a great pick for the QB coach and that he would be a HC in the NFL one day. Dude's very sharp. I could see both Slowik and Johnson both being NFL HC's in the next 4 or 5 yrs.
I am concerned that Slowick will head out for a head coaching position and take Johnson as his offensive coordinator.

One thing I have noticed is DP, or rather lack of. I know the OL is awful, looked decent yesterday however. But, all in the first 4 games he hasn't looked like the guy from last year. He also seems to be going down easier. I know they have said he lost a little weight to get a bit more agile and faster. I think that is the issue. If he is 15 to 20lbs lighter as some have said, he needs the weight and the power that comes with it. He was drafted as a good sized, pretty good speed RB at 5' 10" and listed 218 (meaning he might be playing at 200) with 4.5 40 speed. IMO he didn't get much if any faster with dropping size. As for agility, it would improve just going through the teams off season and season practices and drills.

Thoughts?

I am concerned that Slowick will head out for a head coaching position and take Johnson as his offensive coordinator.
If the money's close Johnson most likely stay with his hometown team. I saw him out in Humble playing golf and talking ball with somebody on his phone. Talking about a coverage the Lions showed Cousins last yr.

Reactions: JB
Back