Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 4: Pittsburgh Steelers vs Houston Texans.

We will have to agree to disagree. WAJr. is more grounded, has a better relentless non stop motor, unbelievable drive, and self motivation than clowney ever has or had...EVER. That in itself already surpasses what clowney ever brought to the table.
That's fine and dandy, but you don't give up qb compensation for a try hard. You have to be disruptive and get the qb on the ground

That's not what the stats nerds are saying.

Stat nerds say a lot of things.
Here's an old article about Clowney giving every excuse and every reason why he wasnt producing sacks and why he would eventually become a sack artist:

Even in Cleveland they were talking about how much he was doubled and how disruptive he was.

WA is just a few games into his career, but at some point the production needs to come. I hope it does. I didnt expect him to be a high sack guy initially, but ive adjusted my expectations and i think the numbers will come eventually. I believe Demeco is that good of a coach that he will not let WA just be some almost guy.

Stat nerds say a lot of things.
Here's an old article about Clowney giving every excuse and every reason why he wasnt producing sacks and why he would eventually become a sack artist:

Even in Cleveland they were talking about how much he was doubled and how disruptive he was.

WA is just a few games into his career, but at some point the production needs to come. I hope it does. I didnt expect him to be a high sack guy initially, but ive adjusted my expectations and i think the numbers will come eventually. I believe Demeco is that good of a coach that he will not let WA just be some almost guy.
Terrell Suggs is my high end prediction for what WA can become.

It's 4 games into his career. When did JJ get his first sack?
JJ was viewed as a tool guy. Nobody thought JJ would be JJ. They were banking on traits. WA was 2 time SEC defensive poy. He was and is viewed as polished product with production, but he's not viewed as a physical tool type of guy. What he's shown so far is what happened his last year at Bama vs the nfl caliber tackles he faced. He was neutralized without doubled because he doesn't have counters. You're not going to bull rush nfl tackles all game

JJ was viewed as a tool guy. Nobody thought JJ would be JJ. They were banking on traits. WA was 2 time SEC defensive poy. He was and is viewed as polished product with production, but he's not viewed as a physical tool type of guy. What he's shown so far is what happened his last year at Bama vs the nfl caliber tackles he faced. He was neutralized without doubled because he doesn't have counters. You're not going to bull rush nfl tackles all game
The only game where he's really leaned too hard into the bull rush has been the Steelers game so far.

Tbh im not sure. Watt "only" had 5 sacks his rookie year.

I was at the Texans first playoff game when Watt had his pick-6 right before the half. The crowd exploded in such a roar my ears were still ringing the next day LOL. Totally worth it.

My company had 4 PSL seats and I was blessed to get invited for one of them. My 3 colleagues were from Canada and 2 from Chicago. We were in the club level walking to our seats when my head snapped around and I said "That was Dan Pastorini!!!!" My colleagues all said "Who?". They didn't deserve to be there. I watched Pastorini at the Astrodome when I was in college. Such a glorious day and we beat the Bengals.

It's 4 games into his career. When did JJ get his first sack?

Not personal toward you, but comparing JJ and WA is an apple to an orange. Will isn’t the same guy and has to win a different way. So far, Will is exactly what I thought he would be. And that’s not a great compliment.

They and many on this board overvalued the character, the locker room guy, the natural leadership, and the effort and hustle. I’m my eval, I loved all of that about Will.

But I wasn’t sold on the things that really matter for this type of athlete. My personal opinion and hope I’m wrong…but I see a good, solid player that’s not going to lose you games. But how many games will he win? I don’t ever see him being a consistent great, disruptive presence that wrecks shop on a weekly basis. You’re not buying K. Mack, Von Miller, or Micah Paraons with WA. He doesn’t have the bend, or the quick twitch of Miller. And he can’t overpower you either.

You’re getting high level lunch pail guy who will be a great culture setter, coaches pet, and good, sound all around player, but not an all-pro. I’d bet my lunch money on it. But the Texans made their bed, and like Sting…now they have to live with it.

Superstar worth the jack we gave up, not to mention 1.3 draft slot? I said it before the draft…and I’ll say it again. I don’t see it.

Not personal toward you, but comparing JJ and WA is an apple to an orange. Will isn’t the same guy and has to win a different way. So far, Will is exactly what I thought he would be. And that’s not a great compliment.

They and many on this board overvalued the character, the locker room guy, the natural leadership, and the effort and hustle. I’m my eval, I loved all of that about Will.

But I wasn’t sold on the things that really matter for this type of athlete. My personal opinion and hope I’m wrong…but I see a good, solid player that’s not going to lose you games. But how many games will he win? I don’t ever see him being a consistent great, disruptive presence that wrecks shop on a weekly basis. You’re not buying K. Mack, Von Miller, or Micah Paraons with WA. He doesn’t have the bend, or the quick twitch of Miller. And he can’t overpower you either.

You’re getting high level lunch pail guy who will be a great culture setter, coaches pet, and good, sound all around player, but not an all-pro. I’d bet my lunch money on it. But the Texans made their bed, and like Sting…now they have to live with it.

Superstar worth the jack we gave up, not to mention 1.3 draft slot? I said it before the draft…and I’ll say it again. I don’t see it.
My point was you can't judge his worth after 4 games. JJ was booed when he was drafted because nobody knew. A high level lunch pail guy works for me. There is no way to know if he'll be a probowler or an all-pro or a bust, but I'll go with what DeMeco says and he was DeMeco's #1 choice

Through 4 games WAJ has more pressures than Mack did his rookie year and 1 less than guys like Aidan Hutchinson and Von Miller. Also 2 less than Myles Garrett and I believe 4 less than Parsons. He also has as many or more tackles for loss/tackles for no gain through 4 games (all this according to PFF btw) than any of the names I just mentioned except Khalil Mack who had one more. And finally he has a pass rush win % of 17.5 which is greater than any of those guys in their first season.

You may be jumping the gun a bit here.

Will is still fairly raw.
Just wait until he learns some more pass rush moves

And to use his length more to his advantage.

And to build some more core strength.

Through 4 games WAJ has more pressures than Mack did his rookie year and 1 less than guys like Aidan Hutchinson and Von Miller. Also 2 less than Myles Garrett and I believe 4 less than Parsons. He also has as many or more tackles for loss/tackles for no gain through 4 games (all this according to PFF btw) than any of the names I just mentioned except Khalil Mack who had one more. And finally he has a pass rush win % of 17.5 which is greater than any of those guys in their first season.

Eyeball test sir. A bunch of advanced stats are near worthless imo. How many plays has he made? Outside the blocked kick, he’s made one wow play. One. He needs to find his groove and he can’t bully lineman here like he did in college.

Obviously the book isn’t closed and I could be wrong. It’s four games. I’m just going by what I saw in college, and now the NFL. I will say this…I trust DeMeco to max out his talent.

Eyeball test sir. A bunch of advanced stats are near worthless imo. How many plays has he made? Outside the blocked kick, he’s made one wow play. One. He needs to find his groove and he can’t bully lineman here like he did in college.

Obviously the book isn’t closed and I could be wrong. It’s four games. I’m just going by what I saw in college, and now the NFL. I will say this…I trust DeMeco to max out his talent.
Pressures are not an advanced stat lmfao. Using just the eyeball test (which I’m fairly sure “wow plays” are just an extension of) is pretty damn unreliable. We’ve played against two offenses who get the ball out very quickly (the Colts and Jags both had a time to throw of less than 2.3 seconds which is very fast) which absolutely turns potential “wow plays” into just pressures.

As a quick aside the “eyeball test” is what had people writing off Nico Collins as a JAG this offseason when I was busy telling people that he’s a good player held back by QB play.

We’ve played against two offenses who get the ball out very quickly (the Colts and Jags both had a time to throw of less than 2.3 seconds which is very fast) which absolutely turns potential “wow plays” into just pressures.

Its not hard to figure out really. Folks are just locked in on the 1 stat not understanding that how teams are attacking us has alot to do with those opportunites for sacks. I don't see how you saw how much havoc he was wreaking in the very 1st game & come away thinking & saying some of the stuff they're saying. He's gone from hardly anything being done to him at all in the Ravens game to being chipped & doubled on almost a qtr of his snaps. Like i said in the other thread, teams haven't made that adjustment to him for nothing. They apparently see what some fans here do not. You didn't hear a peep out of TJ Watt and Highsmith vs. us the week we played the Steelers b/c of the same reason, CJ was getting the ball out quickly and on time..no time for those guys to get there.

Jumping the gun is the understatement of the year. i'll just add TJ Watt in the mix..who only had 7 sacks his rookie year & that WA jr is on pace to triple the number of QB hits he had as a rookie.

The eyeball test works for some things, not all. The numbers bear it out. The comparisons to Clowney are no where near accurate. Clowney never had ANYTHING from a repetroire standpoint but the bull rush & his 1st step quickness. You never ever seen Clowney deploy any kind of moves & he looked awkward as hell if he tried anything but a bull rush. By contrast, If you really sit and watch WA, you see it all. the swim, the speed off the edge I've even seen a spin or two...the only thing he needs to improve upon is his timing really.

He's just a young player taking to the coaching.

Last edited:
Back